First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Why should I continue as a premium member? Or on this site at all...
6058 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/31/15 , edited 3/31/15
Good day to all of you,

I hope this thread is taken in all seriousness and further I do not mean any offence to those loyal to crunchyroll.

I have been a premium (Paying) customer/member for the past 16 + months. I loved the functionality of bookmarking my favorite series and having it available on all my various mediums (Tablet, Phone, Laptop, Home PC etc.)

However I decided to cut costs for a month and cancel my subscription for a short while.
This of course means new episodes are only available to me 7 days (?) after they are released? Free sites offer them hours after release in at least 480p quality. Yet as a member here, to stay loyal I need to wait 7 days to watch, why not just leave crunchy and watch elsewhere? Especially as a non paying member why would I ever want to wait and watch on crunchy when its readily available elsewhere?

Secondly the perks, with what other sites offer for free is it worth the $60 per year fee to belong to this site? Are my perks really worth that? To me unfortunately not it seems however I exclusively watch anime on the site and do not make use of the manga option.

Kind regards, Tinybolt

52119 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Tiphares
Offline
Posted 3/31/15
It seems like you... already made up your mind...?
6058 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/31/15
Its not about making up my mind its more along the lines of "Why should one continue" as opposed to "why should I continue", although Im keen for someone to make a valid point that would keep me in this community as I enjoyed being part of watch Crunchy had to offer, however at the premium it seems to not be worth it.
62175 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Vancouver, BC, Ca...
Offline
Posted 3/31/15
High quality subbed anime and you help ACTUALLY SUPPORT THE SYSTEM, something "free" sites rarely do. CR can be free as well, you just have to deal with ads.
Posted 3/31/15 , edited 3/31/15
Here it's legal and supports the industry. Else where, you're being a naughty naughty boy and making baby Jesus cry.
6058 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/31/15

SpiritWolf15 wrote:

High quality subbed anime and you help ACTUALLY SUPPORT THE SYSTEM, something "free" sites rarely do. CR can be free as well, you just have to deal with ads.


And as a free member? Only having access to episodes days after they are available elsewhere? I want to stay here because I enjoy it, but if I have to wait a week to watch my episode when another site already has it up its quite tough to wait it out... =/ Imagine waiting 7 days to watch Parasyte when you know you could already be watching it elsewhere!
13652 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
こ ~ じ ~ か
Offline
Posted 3/31/15 , edited 3/31/15
Yeah it just kinda boils down to that. ^

You can obtain the same or better quality eps for free fairly easily. If all you want is to watch the anime and/or read the manga, the difference in effort required is virtually nil, the difference in quality is nonexistent, there are practically no advantages to you personally for paying or even using CR. And I say all that as a paying member.

But what does your conscience tell you you should do?

It's $60 USD annually. Pretty cheap really.
8701 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Definitely not EU
Offline
Posted 3/31/15 , edited 3/31/15
Here the video quality is better, the subs are more accurate, there's the whole comment section and discussion for each anime so everything feels more involved, and your supporting what you enjoy. And for airing Anime, Crunchyroll gets it first.

Those other websites are just infested with bad image and sound quality, terrible web page designs, pop ups, stream lagg, inaccurate subtitles, etc.

It don't cost much to be a member here, unless your 12 years old with strict religious parents who don't believe in 'anime' I'm sure you can manage the small price.
6058 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/31/15 , edited 3/31/15

evilotakuneko wrote:

Yeah it just kinda boils down to that. ^

You can obtain the same or better quality eps for free fairly easily. If all you want is to watch the anime and/or read the manga, the difference in effort required is virtually nil, the difference in quality is nonexistent, there are practically no advantages to you personally for paying or even using CR. And I say all that as a paying member.

But what does your conscience tell you you should do?

It's $60 USD annually. Pretty cheap really.


I honestly was not aware other sites hosted the anime illegally. I though most anime was free to watch without a subscription.

*Thank you for the inputs thus far, they have been appreciated!
30787 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Fraxinus
Offline
Posted 3/31/15 , edited 3/31/15

Tinybolt wrote:

Good day to all of you,

I hope this thread is taken in all seriousness and further I do not mean any offence to those loyal to crunchyroll.

I have been a premium (Paying) customer/member for the past 16 + months. I loved the functionality of bookmarking my favorite series and having it available on all my various mediums (Tablet, Phone, Laptop, Home PC etc.)

However I decided to cut costs for a month and cancel my subscription for a short while.
This of course means new episodes are only available to me 7 days (?) after they are released? Free sites offer them hours after release in at least 480p quality. Yet as a member here, to stay loyal I need to wait 7 days to watch, why not just leave crunchy and watch elsewhere? Especially as a non paying member why would I ever want to wait and watch on crunchy when its readily available elsewhere?

Secondly the perks, with what other sites offer for free is it worth the $80 per year fee to belong to this site? Are my perks really worth that? To me unfortunately not it seems however I exclusively watch anime on the site and do not make use of the manga option.

Kind regards, Tinybolt



It would be cheaper if you just bought yearly. Anyway...

Well, cutting costs is understandable, so I won't judge you for cancelling you subscription.

However, in reference to what I highlighted in red, I would like to think that you already know why you shouldn't really go to these other sites where anime is readily available. Is anime so essential in your life that you can't wait seven days to watch it?

With regards to the perks of the standard premium membership, you were willing to pay for just the anime previously, so I'm not sure how entitled you are to ask if the addition of manga is really worth it. I mean, if you were a premium+ member, it would be a different story, but that's irrelevant for this particular argument.

At the end of the day, you're absolutely free to do whatever you want... within the law, since I don't endorse illegal activity. It just seems to me that you're trying to justify getting something for nothing. Let's call it what it is. You want to use pirate sites to save money. I think we'd all rather you just admit it than try to flimsily justify it. It's not like a lot of us don't do it when CR doesn't have something that we want to watch.

Edit: Well, I just read your post above, so I guess you can ignore most of this response, namely the stuff about pirating. I'll leave it here anyway.
6058 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/31/15 , edited 3/31/15

Frenzify wrote:


Tinybolt wrote:

Good day to all of you,

I hope this thread is taken in all seriousness and further I do not mean any offence to those loyal to crunchyroll.

I have been a premium (Paying) customer/member for the past 16 + months. I loved the functionality of bookmarking my favorite series and having it available on all my various mediums (Tablet, Phone, Laptop, Home PC etc.)

However I decided to cut costs for a month and cancel my subscription for a short while.
This of course means new episodes are only available to me 7 days (?) after they are released? Free sites offer them hours after release in at least 480p quality. Yet as a member here, to stay loyal I need to wait 7 days to watch, why not just leave crunchy and watch elsewhere? Especially as a non paying member why would I ever want to wait and watch on crunchy when its readily available elsewhere?

Secondly the perks, with what other sites offer for free is it worth the $80 per year fee to belong to this site? Are my perks really worth that? To me unfortunately not it seems however I exclusively watch anime on the site and do not make use of the manga option.

Kind regards, Tinybolt



It would be cheaper if you just bought yearly. Anyway...

Well, cutting costs is understandable, so I won't judge you for cancelling you subscription.

However, in reference to what I highlighted in red, I would like to think that you already know why you shouldn't really go to these other sites where anime is readily available. Is anime so essential in your life that you can't wait seven days to watch it?

With regards to the perks of the standard premium membership, you were willing to pay for just the anime previously, so I'm not sure how entitled you are to ask if the addition of manga is really worth it. I mean, if you were a premium+ member, it would be a different story, but that's irrelevant for this particular argument.

At the end of the day, you're absolutely free to do whatever you want... within the law, since I don't endorse illegal activity. It just seems to me that you're trying to justify getting something for nothing. Let's call it what it is. You want to use pirate sites to save money. I think we'd all rather you just admit it than try to flimsily justify it. It's not like a lot of us don't do it when CR doesn't have something that we want to watch.

Edit: Well, I just read your post above, so I guess you can ignore most of this response, namely the stuff about pirating. I'll leave it here anyway.


Haha thank you I had quite the time reading your response, however the "manga was just introduced" was actually inserted into my initial post to open up the option for people who DO actively make use of it tell me how much of a benefit it is to them thus nullifying my initial query. It was allowing for a member to tell me how much value they derive from the manga option that because I do not make use of it I do not receive a massive chunk of the benefit from being a premium member.

However I will do some more research as I was honestly not aware that the sites pirated and steamed illegally. This is kind of the point of my initial post, to enlighten me as to "why" one would pay. And a very valid argument is "its the right and legal thing to do".
55520 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / 風の山
Online
Posted 3/31/15
i am attatch to this site by the awesome community.

i pay to relieve myself of guilt of using illegal sites. I understand the feeling of waiting 7 days to watch a series. when i started paying, an cr new episode released hours after an illegal stream site, i would watch it on the illegal site. one of the biggest factors to me staying a premium member is because of the black fridays specials that makes premium so much cheaper, with it gone it makes it so much harder to whether i should stay as a member or not.

the the added bonus for free shipping if you like to buy stuff than its worth alot more.

pirating has become so commonplace now, if you do it you should try to counter the karma by donating to a charity. its a practice that alot of authors tell people when people wanted to pay for pirated material.
39713 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/31/15
So you just decided to start pirating? And 80 dollars a year? I thought it was 60.
11851 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/31/15
1. Money goes into the anime industry

2 Video quality. 1080p.

3. Fan translation can be wrong most of the time and in some shows having the meaning of one word translated wrong can change the perspective of what is going on in the show. It's possible for Crunchyroll to make a mistake but I would rather put my trust in a professional translator than a fan subber.
39713 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/31/15

galdris wrote:

1. Money goes into the anime industry

2 Video quality. 1080p.

3. Fan translation can be wrong most of the time and in some shows having the meaning of one word translated wrong can change the perspective of what is going on in the show. It's possible for Crunchyroll to make a mistake but I would rather put my trust in a professional translator than a fan subber.


1. Well some money goes to the anime industry, but most of it will still go to crunchyroll. But atleast some help is better than no help like the pirates.
2. Video quality.. eh its just upscaled 720p, i really wish crunchyroll would fix their player, of move to HTML5, though I understand why they won't move yet.

3. Fan translations and official subs can both be wrong. The difference is that official subs have more localization, and either way no asian language can be translated into a latin based language perfectly, since the system is so different.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.