Created by qualeshia3
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply How do you visualize what happens in a book as you read?
42405 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 3/31/15



Are you like getting the gist of what the author is writing when you read books? You don't necessarily see what is happening in the story but you understand enough that you can get an idea of it. Is that what you mean or no?
10269 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / Hoth
Offline
Posted 3/31/15 , edited 3/31/15

qualeshia3 wrote:




Are you like getting the gist of what the author is writing when you read books? You don't necessarily see what is happening in the story but you understand enough that you can get an idea of it. Is that what you mean or no?


Ehh, something to that effect. You're on the right track. It's difficult to put into words. It's more than "understanding enough."

Think of it this way. Words, in our minds, are related to concepts. The more words you know, the more concepts you can understand. So, I know the concept of a mountain, I know the concept of snow, I know the concept of wind, I know the concept of a moon, I know the concept of majestic, and so forth. So if someone were to say:
"A gust of wind whipped through the air, pulling my hair from my hood and blocking my view. As I turned my head towards the sky and fumbled my hair out of the way, I glimpsed the full moon. As my sight cleared, I saw it all the better, shining so brightly that it dulled the starry skies around it. And as it's light fell onto the mountains on the edge of the horizon, illuminating their snowy peaks, I couldn't help but feel so small as I gazed upon such a majestic sight."

So, I can't picture in my mind's eye, but I know all these words and their concepts, so I understand the description - in it's entirety. That's probably why I have a tendency to prefer eloquent and colorful writing styles. The more details, the better. Saying: "The moon was bright above the mountains" won't cut it - what mountains, what sky, what landscape, what kind of moon? I can't see it, so it's no good if you don't tell me more.

Does that make more sense?
10609 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Rabbit Horse
Online
Posted 3/31/15
i imagine as though i was there watching the characters interact
42405 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 3/31/15



Yes, it does make sense. Also that was beautiful writing that I wish I could see. I'm a bit envious.


When I read a story, I'm pretty much reading the words and not getting anything out of it. It's very confusing when an author does 'show not tell' in their stories because I can't see anything other than words. It's like I'm getting told what is going instead of being shown. My mind won't let me see it due to getting distracted by other thoughts.

10269 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / Hoth
Offline
Posted 3/31/15

qualeshia3 wrote:




Yes, it does make sense. Also that was beautiful writing that I wish I could see. I'm a bit envious.


When I read a story, I'm pretty much reading the words and not getting anything out of it. It's very confusing when an author does 'show not tell' in their stories because I can't see anything other than words. It's like I'm getting told what is going instead of being shown. My mind won't let me see it due to getting distracted by other thoughts.



Ah, well thank you. I just wrote that on the spot to get my meaning across xD
I get distracted by my thoughts sometimes too, and I'll find myself rereading the same passage multiple times before I get what's going on. That being said, as I mentioned earlier, I've been reading a lot since I was a kid... So it might be easier for me than for you to put my thoughts away and enjoy what I'm reading.
I think though, the more I read, the easier it became to understand - there are a lot of books that I read growing up that I've decided to reread as an adult, and I understand significantly more now that I'm familiar with more worldly things and my vocabulary has expanded. I think it's okay to read through something once, and then reread it to gain more and enjoy more.
I hope that you can eventually conquer your thoughts and enjoy reading more! (I can sort of relate, I'm like that with TV, unless I'm reaaaaally bored or tired, I can't get into a show because my thoughts wander too much - which is why anime is perfect, since the episodes are usually only ~20 mins).
42405 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 3/31/15



You're welcome. I hope so as well but I am trying to get back into reading. It is really hard for me to focus yet I'm trying to do my best. I read some books when I was younger but it did nothing for me which sucks. I found writing more enjoyable though.

Being descriptive and adding floetry in my writings is a CHALLENGE is tough. I just gotta keep practicing in hopes it turns out worthy to be a bestseller. Plus I hate my grammar and punctuation a lot when I write. It's annoying to keep using the same old conjunctions like 'and along with 'but'.

I'm sorry for rambling.
42405 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 3/31/15

namealreadytaken wrote:

i imagine as though i was there watching the characters interact


Wish I could do that. To be honest, that is how I really want to read a book.
10269 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / Hoth
Offline
Posted 3/31/15

qualeshia3 wrote:




You're welcome. I hope so as well but I am trying to get back into reading. It is really hard for me to focus yet I'm trying to do my best. I read some books when I was younger but it did nothing for me which sucks. I found writing more enjoyable though.

Being descriptive and adding floetry in my writings is a CHALLENGE is tough. I just gotta keep practicing in hopes it turns out worthy to be a bestseller. Plus I hate my grammar and punctuation a lot when I write. It's annoying to keep using the same old conjunctions like 'and along with 'but'.

I'm sorry for rambling.


hehe don't apologize for rambling. I could talk about reading and writing for hours on end
Practice makes perfect at least you try!! If you love it, that's what's important ^.^ I'm pretty good at editing (I really enjoy it, to be honest ), so if ever you want someone to look over what you write for some constructive criticism or some help with grammar and different vocabulary, you're more than welcome to shoot me a message.
42405 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 3/31/15

LittleMissee wrote:


qualeshia3 wrote:




You're welcome. I hope so as well but I am trying to get back into reading. It is really hard for me to focus yet I'm trying to do my best. I read some books when I was younger but it did nothing for me which sucks. I found writing more enjoyable though.

Being descriptive and adding floetry in my writings is a CHALLENGE is tough. I just gotta keep practicing in hopes it turns out worthy to be a bestseller. Plus I hate my grammar and punctuation a lot when I write. It's annoying to keep using the same old conjunctions like 'and along with 'but'.

I'm sorry for rambling.


hehe don't apologize for rambling. I could talk about reading and writing for hours on end
Practice makes perfect at least you try!! If you love it, that's what's important ^.^ I'm pretty good at editing (I really enjoy it, to be honest ), so if ever you want someone to look over what you write for some constructive criticism or some help with grammar and different vocabulary, you're more than welcome to shoot me a message.




Oh, wow, thank you!

Right now I'm just working on a rough draft because I just want to slowly get back into writing. I don't mind harsh criticism and Grammar Nazis don't bother me too much. Just tell where I can fix the wrong then turn it into a right. All I have to do is practice until it's right.
Posted 4/1/15
Depending on what it is i usually end up within it sorta as a 3rd person or sometimes the characters themselves.
42405 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 4/1/15

Tsuchimikado wrote:

Depending on what it is i usually end up within it sorta as a 3rd person or sometimes the characters themselves.


You place yourself as the character?
Posted 4/1/15

qualeshia3 wrote:


Tsuchimikado wrote:

Depending on what it is i usually end up within it sorta as a 3rd person or sometimes the characters themselves.


You place yourself as the character?


I don't know if you've ever heard or played/read Myst but if you have then its a lot like that without actually going into the books.
Think SAO or Hack,//sign type of situation with the virtual reality and you feel like you're actually apart of the game i guess, thats how it feels if i get real wrapped up in the book.
42405 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 4/1/15

Tsuchimikado wrote:


qualeshia3 wrote:


Tsuchimikado wrote:

Depending on what it is i usually end up within it sorta as a 3rd person or sometimes the characters themselves.


You place yourself as the character?


I don't know if you've ever heard or played/read Myst but if you have then its a lot like that without actually going into the books.
Think SAO or Hack,//sign type of situation with the virtual reality and you feel like you're actually apart of the game i guess, thats how it feels if i get real wrapped up in the book.



Never heard of Myst yet I get what you mean.
6655 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / The moon
Offline
Posted 4/1/15
I have a huge imagination where I view things different. I hate watching the adaption of the movie of the book. :/ I wouldn't say like I'm creating a movie in my head more like I'm a apparition or a higher being that viewing everything,but its just inside my head. lol
42405 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 4/1/15

jackrabbit92 wrote:

I have a huge imagination where I view things different. I hate watching the adaption of the movie of the book. :/ I wouldn't say like I'm creating a movie in my head more like I'm a apparition or a higher being that viewing everything,but its just inside my head. lol


Your imagination differs from the movie which upsets you?
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.