First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Spice & Wolf- A rant from a light novel reader
39814 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M
Offline
Posted 4/1/15
I've read my fair share of volumes for Spice & Wolf, and I figured I would finally watch the anime and see how good it is. Holy balls, its fucking terrible. The whole anime rewrote Spice & Wolf story almost, omitted great events that happened, and rewrote and in some cases, gave a character a sex change and a role of which they never had in the light novel. They essentially jam packed a whole bunch of drama in the anime that was nowhere to be found in the light novels.

For instance, Lawrence was never trembling in fear when Holo transforms herself. Rather the emotions he feels are that of surprise and bewilderment. In the anime, he curls up into a ball and shakes in fear, which does not happen. For drama! Chloe never existed in the light novels. The character she replaced was Yarei who Lawrence barely even spoke to, and thanks to Yarei turning into Chloe, one of the best dialogue exchanges that happen in volume 1 was omitted. (Right after Holo transforms for the first time.)

5/10 such a shitty adaption so far that does no justice to the light novels and is not faithful. I have come to the realization that animes adapted from light novels will always be shit. There is only 1 exception so far, and that is A Certain Scientific Index.
1534 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 4/1/15 , edited 4/1/15
Counter-rant:
What wold be the point of watching/reading the other, if the story was exactly the same as whichever you did first?
Thats why the call it an adaptation not a republication.
39814 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M
Offline
Posted 4/1/15 , edited 4/1/15

wingsday wrote:

Counter-rant:
What wold be the point of watching/reading the other, if the story was exactly the same as whichever you did first?
Thats why the call it an adaptation not a republication.


Counter-rant:
Your argument makes no sense. You talk about changing adaptions to make it interesting when it does no such thing. Also in the terms of changing up adaptions, the majority of manga adaptions stay the same and no one bats an eye and says how crap it is cause its the same damn story. A Certain Scientific Index follows the story really close, and dons anyone say how shit it is because it didn't add anything new? No. If you forum a lot, you will notice that faithful adaptions get praised while adaptions that alter the material get ranted upon. I would of actually loved to see the actual story animated, but alas, that is not to be.
14361 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Shortbread Land
Offline
Posted 4/1/15
1534 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 4/1/15
Refer to above
39814 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M
Offline
Posted 4/1/15


I like how when someone doesn't have anything constructive to add, they use this "Its your opinion" route.
14361 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Shortbread Land
Offline
Posted 4/1/15 , edited 4/1/15

Legendzerox wrote:



I like how when someone doesn't have anything constructive to add, they use this "Its your opinion" route.


I honestly have nothing to add as I've not even watched Spice and Wolf. I'm just jestin.
11832 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Finland
Online
Posted 4/1/15

Legendzerox wrote:



I like how when someone doesn't have anything constructive to add, they use this "Its your opinion" route.


Sadly there really isn't anything else to add. I enjoyed the anime a great deal and now I'm enjoying the light novel a great deal. What kind of logical argument can I make to defend my point of view? There's really none.

1534 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 4/1/15
I just think adaptations having the exact same story as the source is stupid, if I like the story enough to want to have it again, I would just read/watch it again, if I'm going to watch/read something new I would prefer if it was actually something new.

Relatedly, it pisses me off when people rip on perfectly good adaptations because they dont follow the source material.
For example, a lot of people rip on Grisaia no Kajitsu because it dosent follow the VN, but as an anime, its actually pretty decent.
(I havent actually watched Spice and Wolf, or read the LNs, I have read what chapters of the manga I could find though, so theres that)

And yes, I am aware that many people dissagree strongly with me, that dosen't dosent make me think cloning the story is any less stupid.

11689 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / New Jersey
Offline
Posted 4/1/15
The changes made between the first arc are relatively minor though. I've only read the first 3 volumes so far and revisited only the first arc in the anime to compare, but there really wasn't a whole lot different. Sure they replaced Yarei with Chloe for some reason, but in the end it really doesn't change much. It seems with Chloe they wanted to build up a relationship with Lawrence in the show so that it would be a bit more shocking later on what happens.
103973 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 4/1/15
You need a senpai to notice you.
14361 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Shortbread Land
Offline
Posted 4/1/15

Cenric wrote:


Legendzerox wrote:



I like how when someone doesn't have anything constructive to add, they use this "Its your opinion" route.


Sadly there really isn't anything else to add. I enjoyed the anime a great deal and now I'm enjoying the light novel a great deal. What kind of logical argument can I make to defend my point of view? There's really none.



Pretty much, nicely put.
14361 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Shortbread Land
Offline
Posted 4/1/15

AnimeKami wrote:

You need a senpai to notice you.


CR need to add this:
http://www.cringechannel.com/2015/03/07/video-notice-me-senpai/
75430 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 4/1/15
Sometimes reading other media spoils you for shows I swear.

I've enjoyed several shows that fans of a book or manga or game have just torn apart because of some perceived deficiency.
103973 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 4/1/15


I am very anti-whatever you call that style of dress attire.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.