First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  Next  Last
Is it ok to poke fun at racism?
333 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / YaY Area, CA
Offline
Posted 2/5/08 , edited 4/18/08

Airylli wrote:


magnus102 wrote:

skygod333 wrote:

The funny thing is that there is no such thing as race. Ever heard of the Mitochondrial Eve? The common mother of all human beings? The mother we all descend from and genetically relate to? There is one race: The human race. Skin color has nothing to do with it. I will explain why.

We all started out as "African-American" (Black) because the first modern humans originated in Africa. To make a long story short, the Mitochondrial Eve's descendents had the best genetic material for survival (From her. Hers was the strongest to breed) and when food grew short, the migrated out first into lower Asia and then to Australia and then to North America and South America (Europe was not migrated into until after the last Ice Age).

Now here's where skin color comes in: Melatin. Melatin is our natural defense against the UV rays from the sun and colors us accordingly to the environment (I.E. Harsh environment like the Sahara = More melatin and darker the color. The less melatin you have, the lighter complexion you have). Melatin levels changed as humans no longer needed such protection as they migrated. It became lesser as the migrated to less harsh climates like Australia and India.

In a nutshell, there is no such thing as "race". It's just Melatin levels. We're all human so it doesn't matter. The only difference between a black man and myself is that he's less likely to get sunburned than I am. That's it. No one is superior. Some people are just more or less apt to survive a harsh sun.

Poke fun at "race" all you like but you're just stupid then.


ORLY? Then explain why different races are more prone to disorders such as black people getting Sickle Cell Anemia. Melatin is the reason for variances in skin color but after it happened we changed in other ways and races have other differences.


"Race" is just a social construct and is therefore artificial. It is more "correct" to use the term ethnicity. And, in many cases, we have more in common genetically with people from other "races" than we do with our own family members. As for skin color, eyes, etc, it is all due to environmental adaptation, like skygod says. "Asian" eyes, for example, are "slanted" due to the high wind velocity in Asia. These adaptations were then passed down through our parents.

As for the disorders, I'm not too sure, but I think it probably has something to do with cell/DNA mutations. Sickle Cell Anemia is a hereditary disease, so it's likely that its due to children being born from the same "racial" gene pool. But that is just speculation on my part, so if I'm wrong, feel free to correct me.


Awesome post lol.

I'm not completely sure, but if I remember correctly that sickle cell anemia was a mutation in Africa because of the widespread malaria, and the sickle cells would prevent prevent malaria, although when two parents with sickle cells would reproduce, there would be a chance that their child would have sickle cell anemia, as it was related to being heterozygous or homozygous in certain alleles.
3594 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / Where the clowns...
Offline
Posted 2/5/08 , edited 4/18/08
I do, I think it can be totally hilarious ^.^ Like its been said 100x before, just know your limit and take a hint if it feels or looks like you're offending someone.

Also, maybe I just don't hang around people who take offence to the slightest thing, but jeebus I've never seen so many people say "Not trying to sound racist", "I'm not racist but.." as I have here! People I've known to say that use it as a preamble to a racist comment, so I was surprised SO many people say it here, especially when what they say isn't racist at all! (and almost always when it's before commenting on somthing related to a Black person/people/culture/w/e) I say just chill out. Say what you say and if someone's offended they'll tell you.
5464 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Home for the holi...
Offline
Posted 2/6/08 , edited 4/18/08

skygod333 wrote:

The funny thing is that there is no such thing as race. Ever heard of the Mitochondrial Eve? The common mother of all human beings? The mother we all descend from and genetically relate to? There is one race: The human race. Skin color has nothing to do with it. I will explain why.

We all started out as "African-American" (Black) because the first modern humans originated in Africa. To make a long story short, the Mitochondrial Eve's descendents had the best genetic material for survival (From her. Hers was the strongest to breed) and when food grew short, the migrated out first into lower Asia and then to Australia and then to North America and South America (Europe was not migrated into until after the last Ice Age).

Now here's where skin color comes in: Melatin. Melatin is our natural defense against the UV rays from the sun and colors us accordingly to the environment (I.E. Harsh environment like the Sahara = More melatin and darker the color. The less melatin you have, the lighter complexion you have). Melatin levels changed as humans no longer needed such protection as they migrated. It became lesser as the migrated to less harsh climates like Australia and India.

In a nutshell, there is no such thing as "race". It's just Melatin levels. We're all human so it doesn't matter. The only difference between a black man and myself is that he's less likely to get sunburned than I am. That's it. No one is superior. Some people are just more or less apt to survive a harsh sun.

Poke fun at "race" all you like but you're just stupid then.


Absolutely agree with you!!
5464 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Home for the holi...
Offline
Posted 2/6/08 , edited 4/18/08

LG135 wrote:

I do, I think it can be totally hilarious ^.^ Like its been said 100x before, just know your limit and take a hint if it feels or looks like you're offending someone.

Also, maybe I just don't hang around people who take offence to the slightest thing, but jeebus I've never seen so many people say "Not trying to sound racist", "I'm not racist but.." as I have here! People I've known to say that use it as a preamble to a racist comment, so I was surprised SO many people say it here, especially when what they say isn't racist at all! (and almost always when it's before commenting on somthing related to a Black person/people/culture/w/e) I say just chill out. Say what you say and if someone's offended they'll tell you.


You can't be really sure,though.Some people keep quiet or let out at other places.You can't really be sure they're not offended.Maybe they hide it well.You can't expect ANYONE who's offended about anything will speak up about it(especially if they're Malay,many who because of tradition and the behaviour taught to them cause them to rarely speak up and rather keep quiet).In the end,it's better to be safe than sorry.

As for people saying "Not trying to sound racist","I'm not racist but",well,I had to agree many people did what you said but it's not true for everyone,though.Some REALLY mean it.
5464 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Home for the holi...
Offline
Posted 2/6/08 , edited 4/18/08

magnus102 wrote:


Airylli wrote:


magnus102 wrote:

skygod333 wrote:

The funny thing is that there is no such thing as race. Ever heard of the Mitochondrial Eve? The common mother of all human beings? The mother we all descend from and genetically relate to? There is one race: The human race. Skin color has nothing to do with it. I will explain why.

We all started out as "African-American" (Black) because the first modern humans originated in Africa. To make a long story short, the Mitochondrial Eve's descendents had the best genetic material for survival (From her. Hers was the strongest to breed) and when food grew short, the migrated out first into lower Asia and then to Australia and then to North America and South America (Europe was not migrated into until after the last Ice Age).

Now here's where skin color comes in: Melatin. Melatin is our natural defense against the UV rays from the sun and colors us accordingly to the environment (I.E. Harsh environment like the Sahara = More melatin and darker the color. The less melatin you have, the lighter complexion you have). Melatin levels changed as humans no longer needed such protection as they migrated. It became lesser as the migrated to less harsh climates like Australia and India.

In a nutshell, there is no such thing as "race". It's just Melatin levels. We're all human so it doesn't matter. The only difference between a black man and myself is that he's less likely to get sunburned than I am. That's it. No one is superior. Some people are just more or less apt to survive a harsh sun.

Poke fun at "race" all you like but you're just stupid then.


ORLY? Then explain why different races are more prone to disorders such as black people getting Sickle Cell Anemia. Melatin is the reason for variances in skin color but after it happened we changed in other ways and races have other differences.


"Race" is just a social construct and is therefore artificial. It is more "correct" to use the term ethnicity. And, in many cases, we have more in common genetically with people from other "races" than we do with our own family members. As for skin color, eyes, etc, it is all due to environmental adaptation, like skygod says. "Asian" eyes, for example, are "slanted" due to the high wind velocity in Asia. These adaptations were then passed down through our parents.

As for the disorders, I'm not too sure, but I think it probably has something to do with cell/DNA mutations. Sickle Cell Anemia is a hereditary disease, so it's likely that its due to children being born from the same "racial" gene pool. But that is just speculation on my part, so if I'm wrong, feel free to correct me.


Why argue terms? It is clear what I meant by race. It seems you are splitting hairs here. My point was that while we are all human there are indeed sub sections of humanity. It is absurd to claim otherwise. No race is better than another but in the end this fact can not be changed for the sake of being politically correct.



pnoymigit7o7 wrote:


Airylli wrote:


magnus102 wrote:

skygod333 wrote:

The funny thing is that there is no such thing as race. Ever heard of the Mitochondrial Eve? The common mother of all human beings? The mother we all descend from and genetically relate to? There is one race: The human race. Skin color has nothing to do with it. I will explain why.

We all started out as "African-American" (Black) because the first modern humans originated in Africa. To make a long story short, the Mitochondrial Eve's descendents had the best genetic material for survival (From her. Hers was the strongest to breed) and when food grew short, the migrated out first into lower Asia and then to Australia and then to North America and South America (Europe was not migrated into until after the last Ice Age).

Now here's where skin color comes in: Melatin. Melatin is our natural defense against the UV rays from the sun and colors us accordingly to the environment (I.E. Harsh environment like the Sahara = More melatin and darker the color. The less melatin you have, the lighter complexion you have). Melatin levels changed as humans no longer needed such protection as they migrated. It became lesser as the migrated to less harsh climates like Australia and India.

In a nutshell, there is no such thing as "race". It's just Melatin levels. We're all human so it doesn't matter. The only difference between a black man and myself is that he's less likely to get sunburned than I am. That's it. No one is superior. Some people are just more or less apt to survive a harsh sun.

Poke fun at "race" all you like but you're just stupid then.


ORLY? Then explain why different races are more prone to disorders such as black people getting Sickle Cell Anemia. Melatin is the reason for variances in skin color but after it happened we changed in other ways and races have other differences.


"Race" is just a social construct and is therefore artificial. It is more "correct" to use the term ethnicity. And, in many cases, we have more in common genetically with people from other "races" than we do with our own family members. As for skin color, eyes, etc, it is all due to environmental adaptation, like skygod says. "Asian" eyes, for example, are "slanted" due to the high wind velocity in Asia. These adaptations were then passed down through our parents.

As for the disorders, I'm not too sure, but I think it probably has something to do with cell/DNA mutations. Sickle Cell Anemia is a hereditary disease, so it's likely that its due to children being born from the same "racial" gene pool. But that is just speculation on my part, so if I'm wrong, feel free to correct me.


Awesome post lol.

I'm not completely sure, but if I remember correctly that sickle cell anemia was a mutation in Africa because of the widespread malaria, and the sickle cells would prevent prevent malaria, although when two parents with sickle cells would reproduce, there would be a chance that their child would have sickle cell anemia, as it was related to being heterozygous or homozygous in certain alleles.


You are correct about sickle cell anemia. It is a perfect example of how one group changed during its isolation from other groups. No person of European decent for instance carries the alleles for the disease.


Which means that our genes are what makes us different.....in the end,it means that racism is bull****,and there's no such thing as race.But it didn't answer the original question .But I take it as a no .
3065 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / Hawaii
Offline
Posted 2/6/08 , edited 4/18/08
seriously i think everybody is racist including myself....im not its a bad thing....im really saying is who gives a shit....it will just create more animosity and that shit will fuck up ppl
1668 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / home
Offline
Posted 2/6/08 , edited 4/18/08
i'd rather not do that. though i know that some people are fine with others poking fun at their own race or some people even poke fun of one of their own, there are many others out there who mind. especially those who don't really know you that well. afterall, many wars out there were started because of such insensitivities, right?
1678 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/6/08 , edited 4/18/08
IMO yes, aslong as it's a joke and for fun between ppl you know. and in most cases audience members.(in a comedians case.)

just like D.L. Hughley and Russel Peters says, "If you can't take a joke, go fuck yourself!"
Posted 2/6/08 , edited 4/18/08
I love to make fun of races, especially about mine..D:....Is that bad?...attack my white colour. Now!!!*spills some black tea*
Nah, making jokes about it is not that terrible as long as it ain't some serious thing. It might also ease the relationships between the different races up.
Making a decent joke about something and inputting a bit of truth in it, won't make it sound that terrible as if you were saying it out loud in an unwashed way. =D
1573 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Philippines
Offline
Posted 2/6/08 , edited 4/18/08
JUST dont overload it..... just keep it shush..... dont ever dare speak to other people otherwise its offensive...... other people frm other countries like to discriminate my country lol and it hurts...obviously....Racists say things like they are better than other people but they're creeps and idiots...
Posted 2/6/08 , edited 4/18/08
By the way this theory of us being all from the same place as in Africa, that are just speculations, but there is no steady proof for it being real/true.
Also who says that there was an Eve? Gosh.....This is getting to biblical...again, as always.

Anyways Imma speculate now for a bit. I think that every race, as ethinicities have different ancestors, as in short each race has their own ancestor/monkey. Why do I think so? I think so cuz every race has their particular signs/characteristics.. With the time races started to mix up, so there is no pure race anymore...(which makes Hitlers arye race a laughable topic), and due to that we are all somehow connected, every race...
And of course there are the slight changes in our looks due to the evolution theory.But all this are just speculations.
So in the end...making jokes about races makes you joking about yourself...practically nothing wrong with making fun of yourself and your ancestors...cuz in the end we are all the same..

Flo~
864 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Dallas, TX
Offline
Posted 2/6/08 , edited 4/18/08
racist jokes are cool, i dont see anything wrong with them, if your offended then ignore it.
198 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M
Offline
Posted 2/6/08 , edited 4/18/08

as long as there's no double standard. im a causasian dude, and i've heard some white jokes that are freakin hilarious
1351 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / Philippines
Offline
Posted 2/6/08 , edited 4/18/08

tresborne wrote:
as long as there's no double standard. im a causasian dude, and i've heard some white jokes that are freakin hilarious


sure.. i think it's only funny when the joke's about your own race.. but if a person of another race makes a joke about yours, it's would undoubtedly be offensive..


..just stating my opinion..
19071 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / HERE
Offline
Posted 2/6/08 , edited 4/18/08
I think if you saying things out of fun and its not to harsh then its no big deal, but if your trying to be an asshole then your a racist
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.