First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply Canadian running for U.S. President
24069 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / A complex society.
Offline
Posted 4/5/15
As an American, this to me sounds like a big no, but if he actually was president material and i really felt like he was the best choice for the job, it wouldn't affect my decision. I'd rather dislike the "person" rather than what race he is or where he was born.
2841 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Houston, Tx
Offline
Posted 4/5/15
Hahah, if he does run for president.

I surely hope we get Free Healthcare like Canada does.
zalbik 
10318 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
43 / M / OR
Offline
Posted 4/5/15
The title of this thread is wrong. It should be "Is a Canadian running for to be the U.S. President".

The answer of course is no, you may not like it but that is life. Under the law he is a valid US citizen able to run to be the President. On the other hand Arnold Schwarzenegger is a US citizen who is unable to run to be the President as neither of his parents were Americans.
24251 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 4/5/15

Bythesword86 wrote:


MysticGon wrote:

Hey ya'll. So Senator Ted Cruz, who was born in Canada is making a run for POTUS(President of the United States).

I know the guy will never make past the primaries but it's an interesting question. Should he be able to?

My opinion falls in the no category because it's pretty clear cut. You need to be born on U.S. soil, be it a military base or territory.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2013/aug/20/ted-cruz-born-canada-eligible-run-president/


I doesn't matter where someone was born, it all matters where the MOTHER was born. If your mom is American and you're born on the moon, you can run for president.

John McCain was born in Panama.


Back when it was a U.S. territory...
1606 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Earth
Offline
Posted 4/5/15 , edited 4/5/15

Biggle wrote:

Hahah, if he does run for president.

I surely hope we get Free Healthcare like Canada does.


Ted Cruz is Canadian, but don't worry he's a real asshole. He and his supporters have no interest in making health care free.
5379 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Toronto, Canada
Offline
Posted 4/5/15

MysticGon wrote:


Bythesword86 wrote:


MysticGon wrote:

Hey ya'll. So Senator Ted Cruz, who was born in Canada is making a run for POTUS(President of the United States).

I know the guy will never make past the primaries but it's an interesting question. Should he be able to?

My opinion falls in the no category because it's pretty clear cut. You need to be born on U.S. soil, be it a military base or territory.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2013/aug/20/ted-cruz-born-canada-eligible-run-president/


I doesn't matter where someone was born, it all matters where the MOTHER was born. If your mom is American and you're born on the moon, you can run for president.

John McCain was born in Panama.


Back when it was a U.S. territory...


Right, but regardless it was not a part of the USA, so McCain was still technically born on foreign soil. And since the constitution was signed in 1778 technically the first 10 presidents weren't born in America either.

My point is, your mom is American, you're American no matter what.
24251 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 4/5/15

Bythesword86 wrote:


Since when was being a U.S. controlled territory not being part of the U.S. It's the same with embassies and military bases.
2841 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Houston, Tx
Offline
Posted 4/5/15

LONGNAMEYOUWONTMISS wrote:


Biggle wrote:

Hahah, if he does run for president.

I surely hope we get Free Healthcare like Canada does.


Ted Cruz is Canadian, but don't worry he's a real asshole. He and his supporters have no interest in making health care free.


Well I surely prefer Tax money going to Health rather than idiots in Prisons.
37330 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / US
Offline
Posted 4/5/15
Mr Cruz shouldn't be allowed to run. At least until the supreme court decides on the legal definition of natural born citizen.

The meaning is supposed to be not just a US citizen, but a US citizen, born in the US or US owned soil (like a military base) To US citizens (or at least a father according to the out dated notion of inheritance that the wording comes from). But the courts have refused to clarify it and the Constitution leaves it undefined.

Mr Cruz does not meet this criteria. Other then that I don't see him going far, his politics will play well in red states but get crushed elsewhere, has has very little chance in the swing states, they wont pick him to run.....But should be fun to watch.
11618 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/5/15
Like it freaking matters anymore, America had its culture and rituals stripped away along time ago and we now nothing more than a consumer capital and Israels war machine.
35746 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / My Chair, OH
Online
Posted 4/5/15 , edited 4/5/15
I always figured it was pretty obvious that "natural born" meant that you were naturally a U.S. citizen at birth?

Either by U.S. citizen parent(s) or born on U.S. soil both can make you a citizen from birth.

Also unlike some others that know nothing about the situation, I was born a U.S. citizen from citizen parents on foreign soil, but how does that make me any less of an American?

Edit: Also disclaimer I don't care about politics. The people will choose whoever they want.
3480 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / M / Chapel Hill, N.C
Offline
Posted 4/6/15
Cruz will never get the GOP nomination but not because of his Canadian background. Its because he's too extreme.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.