First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Post Reply New VS: Old Anime
4233 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
15 / M / Arkansas
Offline
Posted 4/5/15
I don't really care for older anime, I mean, I plan to watch things like Dragon Ball Z, Cowboy Bebop, and the original Sailor Moon in the future, but the oldest anime I've seen was boring (the first few One Piece episodes, although I hear it gets better)
4052 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 4/5/15

uncletim wrote:

Well just my 2 cents
Older anime seemed more about story telling with the art being secondary
Today anime seems more about the art then the story


I don't think so. It's more old anime had shitty animation. Sure they couldn't help it as it was the technology of the time but even the nicer anime weren't anything too amazing on a purely visual perspective. Sure some went for a more artistic style but overall anime wasn't all that great in terms of visuals. Because of that the only thing that could stick out was story and as a result it's the stories of the past we remember more. This isn't counties Ghibli movies BTW because they were movies they could put more effort into visuals and create some stunning scenes even with that ages technology. But normal series couldn't put that much time or budget into those kinds of scenes all the time.

But now animation is to the point where you can create incredible scenes with much less budget. Also studios are bigger now and need to make more anime that sells. Let me put it this way to stay in buisness a company MUST make money. For an anime studio this means Moe and Fan service shows because they take the least budget to make most of the time and make the most money. However that isn't all there is to anime these days. Because while those shows keep profits up a studio also needs to make some good anime to make a name for themselves. Think of all the people who watch something because of the studio name. To get those people a studio needs to make quality shows. However quality shows are a risk as they don't always catch on and even if they do the cost of making it may offset the profits made from it. So studios have to strike a balance between cheap shows that sell to keep them in buisness and quality shows that grow the company name.

Where that balance is depends on the company and too much low quality can hurt a companies name while too many ricky ventures could bankrupt a company.


I got a little off topic but the point was why there are so many shows weak on story but decent on visuals. Because with today's technology decent visuals aren't that hard to make you just need to know what you are doing which isn't easy but once you've got it you can make dozen's of nice looking anime cheaply. To the art level of anime has increased and again low quality story shows are needed to keep profits up. What you need to do is pick out the shows that clearly look a risk and were made with passion and effort. The shows today made with actually passion don't lose to older ones at all in terms of story.
31137 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M
Offline
Posted 4/5/15

bufoman wrote:

Kids today with al their art and story stuff, why back in the day everything was in glorius gray scale. Sometimes older ones are fun to watch just to see where there are firsts. Note in this episode of Astro Bay AKA Boy Atom there is what might be the genesis of Speed Racer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEe9d1Iaf0Y
Now get off my lawn!

Were they still using stone tablets back then too?

Here he comes.
Here comes Speed Racer.
He's a demon on wheels.
He's a demon and he's gonna be chasin' after someone.


As for the topic itself.. There is a lot of crummy new anime. There also happens to be a lot of crummy old anime we don't remember because we tossed it in the bin. Another point to keep in mind with old anime is that there is a veneer of nostalgia. Record of Lodoss War for instance I remember quite fondly, as it was one of the first animes I ever saw. However, looking at it honestly, it's a somewhat tired and conventional fantasy story and setting.
17873 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
52 / M / In
Offline
Posted 4/5/15

Metazoxan wrote:


uncletim wrote:

Well just my 2 cents
Older anime seemed more about story telling with the art being secondary
Today anime seems more about the art then the story


I don't think so. It's more old anime had shitty animation. Sure they couldn't help it as it was the technology of the time but even the nicer anime weren't anything too amazing on a purely visual perspective. Sure some went for a more artistic style but overall anime wasn't all that great in terms of visuals. Because of that the only thing that could stick out was story and as a result it's the stories of the past we remember more. This isn't counties Ghibli movies BTW because they were movies they could put more effort into visuals and create some stunning scenes even with that ages technology. But normal series couldn't put that much time or budget into those kinds of scenes all the time.

But now animation is to the point where you can create incredible scenes with much less budget. Also studios are bigger now and need to make more anime that sells. Let me put it this way to stay in buisness a company MUST make money. For an anime studio this means Moe and Fan service shows because they take the least budget to make most of the time and make the most money. However that isn't all there is to anime these days. Because while those shows keep profits up a studio also needs to make some good anime to make a name for themselves. Think of all the people who watch something because of the studio name. To get those people a studio needs to make quality shows. However quality shows are a risk as they don't always catch on and even if they do the cost of making it may offset the profits made from it. So studios have to strike a balance between cheap shows that sell to keep them in buisness and quality shows that grow the company name.

Where that balance is depends on the company and too much low quality can hurt a companies name while too many ricky ventures could bankrupt a company.


I got a little off topic but the point was why there are so many shows weak on story but decent on visuals. Because with today's technology decent visuals aren't that hard to make you just need to know what you are doing which isn't easy but once you've got it you can make dozen's of nice looking anime cheaply. To the art level of anime has increased and again low quality story shows are needed to keep profits up. What you need to do is pick out the shows that clearly look a risk and were made with passion and effort. The shows today made with actually passion don't lose to older ones at all in terms of story.


I think your point can be summed up by looking at two shows
Neon Genesis Evangelion and ALDNOAH.ZERO
NGE the art was kind of meh but the story was so powerful it carried the show nicely
AZ the art was pretty good but the story dragged it down
10320 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 4/5/15
Other than Astro Boy and Speed Racer, I haven't watched anything older than Dragon Ball. I'm not the type to choose a side anyway. Anime is anime.

The new mangaka, artists, writers, animators, etc. are all inspired by something older than the current work being released (doesn't mean they can't be inspired by the current stuff). There will always be improvements over the years, but old anime will stay great anime as long as it can still inspire someone.

That's what I think anyway. In the end, it doesn't even matter to me. I just care about Gintama.

33924 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Florida
Offline
Posted 4/5/15
I like both

3333 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/5/15

jakari wrote:


Jace0314 wrote:

I find it a bit more difficult to get into an older anime, aesthetic is part of the reason why I like anime so much and some older anime isn't that aesthetically pleasing. I know there are really good older anime but I just can't get into them if they look like crap.


Aesthetics in anime shouldn't be about the looks, it should be about the message. Which older anime are better with!


I think the way an anime looks is very important, you can find good stories anywhere like movies, tv shows, cartoons, etc... but the unique look of anime is a big part of what makes it anime, so looks shouldn't be disregarded.
19198 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Unova Region
Offline
Posted 4/5/15 , edited 4/5/15
It's like music, I don't care when it was made it just matters if it's good or not.
13652 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
こ ~ じ ~ か
Offline
Posted 4/5/15
As an "older" anime fan myself--though not as old as some, hah--I find myself hypocritical on this.

I love me some older anime. And by older, I mean 80s and mid-90s stuff mainly. I have a soft spot especially for 80s stuff and will forgive more flaws in a vintage anime than I will anything made in the last decade. And I'll happily extoll the virtues of Bubblegum Crisis, Record of Lodoss War (OVA!), 3x3 Eyes, Gunbuster, and many other Golden Age classics.

I'm much harder on newer (post-2000) anime. Nearly dropped Aldnoah in the first few episodes, when they seemed to be deliberately avoiding giving any sort of development to the Vers. Dropped many series for just being meh, been there, done that (better) before. (Nichijou I'm lookin at you. Y u not as good as Azumanga?)

On the other hand I just simply could not watch the original Space Battleship Yamato (shock! horror!) and much prefer the less-campy 2199 remake. (ZOMG BURN THE HERETIC!) Same for Sailor Moon. I wouldn't watch the original, but I find myself watching Crystal, twice a month...
7956 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 4/5/15
I like both. Anime has always had its ups and downs. No point in glorifying one or the other.
8072 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Ireland
Offline
Posted 4/5/15
I think Devilman was the first anime that I watched on late night tv when I was a kid, I remember that I was both fascinated and disturbed at the time. I still like a lot of older anime, but probably do prefer the newer stuff if I'm being honest. There is good and bad stuff from both era's though.
42405 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 4/5/15
Were the anime series from the 70s and 80s originally manga or light novels?
15947 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / Cold and High
Offline
Posted 4/5/15 , edited 4/5/15
I do feel that newer ones tries to be more overdramatic while older ones where a bit more grey in more areas.
Hope we get more "serious" anime series like berserk, Elfen lied, Cowboy Bebop, bleach, naruto (somewhat it can be and sometimes not like DBZ) and how GTO was in the beginning (around 20 ep).
for example take The Irregular at Magic High School where you though they would be resonable and serious characters but just in the end made a mess from what it started with.
where Phsyco Pass did nearly a good job with.
6096 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 4/5/15
I love all kinds of anime. I don't care what year it came out in.
46382 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Sweden
Online
Posted 4/5/15 , edited 4/5/15

qualeshia3 wrote:

Were the anime series from the 70s and 80s originally manga or light novels?


Manga is like comics in Japan... So just like in the west, some were Manga but none of them were Light novels since light novels started out on the 90's but didn't boom before the 00's
579 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / F
Offline
Posted 4/5/15
I like both older and newer anime. Sure, if you look at my favorites list most of them will be newer stuff (post 2000) but if you look closely you'll find some older one's on there too (such as Cowboy Bebop, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, and Rose of Versailes). While I agree that newer anime tend to be better looking (or at least better animated) than older anime, I also think that anime from the 80's to early 90's had a certain charm that still appeals to me.

Anyways, I can name both new anime that sucks and older anime that sucks. Some examples of older anime that sucks: Crystal Triangle, the Yoji Kuri shorts (such as Human Zoo), M.D. Geist, and Sword of Truth. Some examples of newer anime that sucks: Funny Pets, Pupa, and Girlfriend BETA (to be fair, it's really not that bad, just kind of boring). I'm sure there are plenty more examples in both categories, but I only named a few that I actually saw.

I tend to roll my eyes at both "Old-school Elitists" and "New-school Elitists". Old-school Elitists look at their favorite old-school show the rose-colored nostalgia glasses and automatically snub all new anime without even giving them a chance. Sure, there may be a lot of moe/fanservice type shows in recent years, but if they actually bothered to look through all the newer anime they would've found some gems (such as Parasyte, Psychopass, Attack on Titian, Pet Girl of Sakurasou (it may look like a fanservice anime at first glace, but it has a lot more substance), Madoka Magica, and many others). New-school Elitists tend to snub anything made before a certain date (usually either pre-1995 or pre-2000) and don't even bother giving older anime a chance. This is a shame because there are plenty of good or even great series that get snubed just because their visuals are kind of dated (such as Slam Dunk, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, and Rose of Versailes, to name a few). In my opinion, Old-school Elitist need to take off their nostalgia goggles and make an effort to look for the "new diamonds in the rough", while New-school Elitist need to stop being so finicky about animation and learn to appreciate substance as well.
42405 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 4/5/15

TheOmegaForce70941 wrote:


qualeshia3 wrote:

Were the anime series from the 70s and 80s originally manga or light novels?


Some were Manga but none of them were Light novels since light novels started out on the 90's but didn't boom before the 00's



More and more newer anime were originally manga or light novels. We don't have many actual anime series that weren't originally manga or light novels or anything else.

Just how I feel.
1853 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Bolton, England
Offline
Posted 4/5/15
I aan't really watch anything old tbh, just ends up seeing like an LQ stream
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.