First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply Is It Me, Or Is It Today's Anime Industry?
18086 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/6/15
[My apologies if this topic has been made already. I didn't bother to thoroughly check.]

I personally have felt like new anime is suffering in quality these days. Don't get me wrong; there are a few I find decent. Sometimes I just feel like an old bitty, yelling at the kids to get off her lawn. Still, I just don't feel like anime is the same as it used to be. I feel like it's become overly cliche and often times just plain half-assed. Perhaps because I've seen so much of it and am growing tired of it, or perhaps anime these days might just be pumped out to please and be forgotten soon after.

This I wonder about often, and don't really know one way or the other.

What do you think? Do you think anime has gotten worse in some ways over the years? Has it gotten better? Has it stayed the same?
Posted 4/6/15
this year's spring season just lifted off great, hope it continues like this
Posted 4/6/15 , edited 5/23/15

kimchino wrote:

this year's spring season just lifted off great, hope it continues like this


RIP


But honestly. Anime is just fine. No one needs flowery descriptions of age and miscommunication with youth anymore, we get it, people don't like anything new because nostalgia.

I think anime has gotten better, if nothing else.
Posted 4/6/15

AiYumega wrote:


kimchino wrote:

this year's spring season just lifted off great, hope it continues like this


RIP


bruh, "i want to support the industry" " but it sucks"- tony 2015
61159 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Online
Posted 4/6/15 , edited 4/7/15
Interesting that you say the anime industry is overly cliche. I feel the same way about these threads.
57002 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Planet Sanno
Offline
Posted 4/6/15

Rutsuki wrote:
Still, I just don't feel like anime is the same as it used to be.


People have been saying this for as long as anime / manga fans have been on the Internet (i.e. as long as the Internet has been public). Your mileage is going to vary, no matter who you are. These days, I am feeling good about where it all is, though I do miss the stylings of days gone by (the '80s, in particular, the days of big hair, high budgets, and all-hand-drawn goodness).
4065 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 4/6/15 , edited 4/6/15
I find there is a lot of RIDICULOUSLY good stuff coming out, and then there is stuff that just makes me facepalm and ask, how did this ever make it past chapter one in the manga version, let alone get a show.
If you need suggestions for good anime, post what you've seen already (via help of myanimelist perhaps?) and we can help you find some good stuff :). Just a thought.
I will say for me, where this post particularly rings true is how good One piece used to be and how it has been lately.
18086 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/6/15
It sounds like it's mostly just me that's changed haha. I mean, anime these days has changed, but I suppose the quality is not worse judging by your guys' opinions. Hmmm...

@ MooMuse:
Looking at reviews before I try stuff might help. I would rather never see one of those facepalm types you speak of again if I can help it ha.
13652 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
こ ~ じ ~ か
Offline
Posted 4/6/15 , edited 4/6/15
I think this happens to everyone who has watched anime for a few years.

When you first start out, everything is fresh and new and awesome. While some of it may well be, you don't really notice what isn't because you don't have the experience yet. For example, you've watched Gundam animes and now Argevollen is passe to you. Every element in Argevollen, you've seen before already. You've watched Azumanga, and Nichijou just doesn't do it for you. Same thing. Tenchi Muyo vs. Date-A-Live? Get real! (Shuffle, on the other hand...still great) Whereas if you hadn't seen any (or much) Gundam, Azumanga, or Tenchi, you'd probably think Argevollen, Nichijou, and Date-A-Live are new and awesome.

But they aren't new, and while that doesn't stop them being awesome (Argevollen IS good, Nichijou is some sort of new classic, and Date-A-Live did well enough to get a second season) it does color your perceptions. Add to that the fact that people's tastes generally change as they age and it's practically a certainty that eventually, you will look out upon the field of current and upcoming shows and wonder where all the good anime went.

Fact is, it didn't go anywhere. You did.
18086 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/6/15 , edited 5/23/15

evilotakuneko wrote:

I think this happens to everyone who has watched anime for a few years.

When you first start out, everything is fresh and new and awesome. While some of it may well be, you don't really notice what isn't because you don't have the experience yet. For example, you've watched Gundam animes and now Argevollen is passe to you. Every element in Argevollen, you've seen before already. You've watched Azumanga, and Nichijou just doesn't do it for you. Same thing. Tenchi Muyo vs. Date-A-Live? Get real! (Shuffle, on the other hand...still great) Whereas if you hadn't seen any (or much) Gundam, Azumanga, or Tenchi, you'd probably think Argevollen, Nichijou, and Date-A-Live are new and awesome.

But they aren't new, and while that doesn't stop them being awesome (Argevollen IS good, Nichijou is some sort of new classic, and Date-A-Live did well enough to get a second season) it does color your perceptions. Add to that the fact that people's tastes generally change as they age and it's practically a certainty that eventually, you will look out upon the field of current and upcoming shows and wonder where all the good anime went.

Fact is, it didn't go anywhere. You did.


That actually makes perfect sense. I guess even before the shows I'd seen, there were shows like it, and in some people's generations those were better.

Still...I'd like more unique anime, if possible. The cliches seem to be encouraged, at least in some ways. I guess what I'm tired of isn't anime changing, but remaining the same.
49109 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/6/15
I've been major league disappointed with some recent releases.If you're disappointed vote with your pocket book .It's what really drives the industry.There really isn't a debate about old versus new.The new relies heavily on the genres and plot devices of it's progenitors.For anime It's time to "kill their fathers".Unfortunately that requires some extraordinarily gifted individual/individuals, from a medium that relies heavily on tradition, to come up with revolutionary concepts in art and plot that sells.
23469 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Iowa >.>
Offline
Posted 4/6/15 , edited 4/6/15
there's been a few anime lately that I have been unhappy with. some of the stories have been average at best and some the animation it's self has turned me away from it. one of the best animations I've seen yet was Last Exile, and that came out in 2003.

hell even the opening alone is great. I fell in love with the animation when I first saw this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUjiXriGFbo
61159 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Online
Posted 4/6/15
At one time, I felt pretty confident that I'd seen my fair share of old anime, but when I actually looked at my list, I haven't even seen anything older than 1984, less than 1/10th of the anime I've seen came before the year 2000, and there's a good chunk of those old shows that I didn't even like. Going year by year since I started watching simulcasts, the really good shows seem to trickle in and the really bad shows are aplenty. As far as I can tell, nothing's really changed for me at all, except maybe that I've become hypercritical of the shounen genre.
49109 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/6/15

Rutsuki wrote:


evilotakuneko wrote:

I think this happens to everyone who has watched anime for a few years.

When you first start out, everything is fresh and new and awesome. While some of it may well be, you don't really notice what isn't because you don't have the experience yet. For example, you've watched Gundam animes and now Argevollen is passe to you. Every element in Argevollen, you've seen before already. You've watched Azumanga, and Nichijou just doesn't do it for you. Same thing. Tenchi Muyo vs. Date-A-Live? Get real! (Shuffle, on the other hand...still great) Whereas if you hadn't seen any (or much) Gundam, Azumanga, or Tenchi, you'd probably think Argevollen, Nichijou, and Date-A-Live are new and awesome.

But they aren't new, and while that doesn't stop them being awesome (Argevollen IS good, Nichijou is some sort of new classic, and Date-A-Live did well enough to get a second season) it does color your perceptions. Add to that the fact that people's tastes generally change as they age and it's practically a certainty that eventually, you will look out upon the field of current and upcoming shows and wonder where all the good anime went.

Fact is, it didn't go anywhere. You did.


That actually makes perfect sense. I guess even before the shows I'd seen, there were shows like it, and in some people's generations those were better.

Still...I'd like more unique anime, if possible. The cliches seem to be encouraged, at least in some ways. I guess what I'm tired of isn't anime changing, but remaining the same.


If you're looking for something somewhat unique check out "Dead Leaves".
11419 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Eng Land
Offline
Posted 4/6/15 , edited 4/6/15
As someone who has watched all manner of anime both old and new, I can definitely say it's you, but also not just you in the sense you're not alone. It's common for the brain to remember more of the good stuff than the bad from a certain time period, because the good stuff is what your brain is likely to remember. Add nostalgia onto that and suddenly you find the more realistic look at shows in the current day have a lot to go up against i.e. idealistic memories coated in 'those were the good old days' sauce. There was good and bad anime then, and there is good and bad anime now, that hasn't really changed. Anime is like anything; with games I don't want to play more than I do, with music I dislike more than I like, with films there's more I don't want to watch than I do want to watch. What's more is how we can change too. I used to be content watching ecchi harem shows when I started out, but now I generally try to avoid those categories. It's just the way things are.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.