First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply Does Genre Matter??
49109 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/9/15
My watch list includes titles from many genres except Hentai.
16931 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 4/9/15
As long as the plot isn't grim dark. I usually give them at least a try by watching 1 or 2 episode. Although i am avoiding harem genre since the start of last season because i am getting tired of dense MC
35286 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / http://myanimelis...
Offline
Posted 4/9/15
I'd say it does, but it doesn't really affect my enjoyment for an individual series.
Is there a genre I fully hate? Nope. Unless "H-genres" count (in which case NTR, rape, and anything close to them can burn), I'll give the benefit of the doubt to most of them.
But I still have my priorities for which I lean to more.
I'll accept my hints of romance (subtextual or as a main-genre) anytime.

As for demographics, which people keep talking about, even less.
I'll watch my anime targeted at kids, shounen, shoujo, josei, or seinen and enjoy them just as much without a care in the world. Why should I waste my time worrying about that?
9384 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / Finland
Offline
Posted 4/9/15
I would say that if the genre isn't exactly what I like or prefer, it's obviously going to be harder to enjoy it compared to the genres I love. I hate romance from the bottom of my heart (symptom of forever alone syndrome?) but I still found Toradora great.
1931 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/9/15
Of course
111 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / United States
Offline
Posted 4/9/15
The only genre I will absolutely try to avoid is horror since I'm pretty jumpy. But honestly, genres just help me prioritize what to watch. I'm pretty much down for watching any anime out there that isn't a complete train wreck.
637 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Wales
Offline
Posted 2/29/16
I prefer more light hearted animes - so that would be comedy/slice of life genres that usually fall under this sort of anime
19198 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Unova Region
Offline
Posted 2/29/16
I'd say it really does. Any anime tagged with action, adventure, fantasy, historical, and many others will catch my eye right off the bat. Any anime tagged with sort of drama, comedy, slice of life, etc. will usually turn me away. That doesn't go to say I won't watch any. Nichijou is a great example of a comedy anime I'd like, but I'm very picky with genres I'm not a big fan of.
542 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 2/29/16 , edited 2/29/16
It isn't necessarily the be-all end-all of whether I enjoy an anime or not (with the exception of things like yaoi) but there are definitely genres I enjoy more then others. For example, I'm not fond of harems or mahou shoujo. Does that mean that I don't enjoy any harem or mahou shoujo stuff period? No. But it does mean that it's rather hard for me to find one that I do.
xxJing 
37179 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Duckburg
Offline
Posted 2/29/16
It's a good indicator of the type of story you can expect, but not really the quality of the story.

I don't watch most shoujos. There are a few shoujos that I do absolutely love though. They are very well thought out. On the other hand the majority are just silly sappy romantic dramas. Not my cup of tea.

Harems generally have a unique sci-fi or fantasy plot smothered under generic harem antics. If that plot interests me I will watch it, otherwise I won't as harem romance tends to be stale.

Shonens are usually coming of age stories, which I love. However, they also have a tendency to get into an extremely repetitive battle purgatory. Which I hate. I usually give them a try, and if they settle into that stupid battle trope, I drop them. AssClass, HxH, FMA, even about 30% of Naruto are great. The other 70% of naruto and about 80% of Bleach, and most of Fairy Tail are awful though.

Seinen are dark. Gore, rape, torture, angst. The story can be interesting, but it's never happy.
Posted 2/29/16
Kind of

Because I mostly watch action-adventure-fantasy type of anime
23413 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / F / Always my room
Offline
Posted 2/29/16
Nah it doesn't matter to me, I will watch whatever as long as its enjoyable.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.