First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next  Last
Post Reply White SC officer charged with murder for shooting black man.
42866 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / M / Memphis, TN
Offline
Posted 4/7/15

eightcar wrote:


moonhawk81 wrote:


eightcar wrote:


AiYumega wrote:




I don't really understand how that works here. The cop here was charged with murder, meaning it wasn't only spoken out against but acknowledged he was wrong and what he did was breaking the law.


1) The "cops" didn't bring this to light, normal citizens did who had video evidnce. As such, the "cops" didn't do anything.

2) This "prosecution" will be mickey mouse, just like the whole Ferguson fiasco. As the District Attorney works closely with the police, the DA actually will side with the police and throw this. (Common practice when a case like this is actually brought to trial)

But as long as the motions of a trial are gone through, some will believe it is justice when the "cops" walk as usual!


I told myself that I was not going to comment on this, simply because I was not there and--knowing the limitations of video evidence, something we've discussed before in the Forums--I therefore don't actually know what happened. That's what I told myself, until I saw the assumption of a prosecutor going light on a cop. It does NOT work that way in real life, TV police dramas be d_mned! A lawyer is a lawyer, and most prosecutors I've known left that position just as soon as a law firm offered them jobs paying real money. And the quickest way to make a name for yourself as a prosecutor is to take down a politician or a cop. You're virtually guaranteed a cush job with some big defense attorney who wants your name on his shingle. So, trust me, the DA will do everything in his/her power to convict the officer in question. My question is: what happened during the initial traffic stop that provoked all this?


Seriously, are you joking? The District Attorney NEEDS the cooperation of police to make their cases! They toss one cop away, and their lives are made miserable! That is why it has been PROVEN that the Furgeson grand jury was a joke with all the inconsistencies!

YOU are the one thinking of TV and the whole Law and Order series when going after corrupt officials!


I am not joking. I am a real-life police officer who goes to real court on real cases.
Posted 4/7/15

moonhawk81 wrote:



I am not joking. I am a real-life police officer who goes to real court on real cases.


He already wasn't going to listen to what you were saying. Now you just made yourself into his enemy. It's probably not worth trying to reason with him anymore.
42866 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / M / Memphis, TN
Offline
Posted 4/7/15 , edited 4/7/15

justanotherguy_2005 wrote:


moonhawk81 wrote:



I am not joking. I am a real-life police officer who goes to real court on real cases.


He already wasn't going to listen to what you were saying. Now you just made yourself into his enemy. It's probably not worth trying to reason with him anymore.


You know, I really just come here for all the lovely anime. . .Who'd come here to make enemies?!
9551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 4/7/15 , edited 4/7/15
Fuck that video was hard to watch. The officer could have chased him down or alerted him that he was pointing a gun at him. This country is fucked and the racism in the police force is a prime example of how fucked up we are.
3614 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / M / Rochester, NY
Offline
Posted 4/7/15

moonhawk81 wrote:


eightcar wrote:


moonhawk81 wrote:


eightcar wrote:


AiYumega wrote:




I don't really understand how that works here. The cop here was charged with murder, meaning it wasn't only spoken out against but acknowledged he was wrong and what he did was breaking the law.


1) The "cops" didn't bring this to light, normal citizens did who had video evidnce. As such, the "cops" didn't do anything.

2) This "prosecution" will be mickey mouse, just like the whole Ferguson fiasco. As the District Attorney works closely with the police, the DA actually will side with the police and throw this. (Common practice when a case like this is actually brought to trial)

But as long as the motions of a trial are gone through, some will believe it is justice when the "cops" walk as usual!


I told myself that I was not going to comment on this, simply because I was not there and--knowing the limitations of video evidence, something we've discussed before in the Forums--I therefore don't actually know what happened. That's what I told myself, until I saw the assumption of a prosecutor going light on a cop. It does NOT work that way in real life, TV police dramas be d_mned! A lawyer is a lawyer, and most prosecutors I've known left that position just as soon as a law firm offered them jobs paying real money. And the quickest way to make a name for yourself as a prosecutor is to take down a politician or a cop. You're virtually guaranteed a cush job with some big defense attorney who wants your name on his shingle. So, trust me, the DA will do everything in his/her power to convict the officer in question. My question is: what happened during the initial traffic stop that provoked all this?


Seriously, are you joking? The District Attorney NEEDS the cooperation of police to make their cases! They toss one cop away, and their lives are made miserable! That is why it has been PROVEN that the Furgeson grand jury was a joke with all the inconsistencies!

YOU are the one thinking of TV and the whole Law and Order series when going after corrupt officials!


I am not joking. I am a real-life police officer who goes to real court on real cases.


Have you EVER turned in a fellow officer for unlawful/unethical behavior? or have you looked the other way?

Also what do you think of that whole grand jury stuff from the Michael Brown incident from your point of view after reviewing the evidence?
1398 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 4/7/15
also just because you are a cop doesn't actually mean you know anything about what you say, look up why appeals to authority are logical fallacies.
42866 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / M / Memphis, TN
Offline
Posted 4/7/15

eightcar wrote:


moonhawk81 wrote:


eightcar wrote:


moonhawk81 wrote:


eightcar wrote:


AiYumega wrote:




I don't really understand how that works here. The cop here was charged with murder, meaning it wasn't only spoken out against but acknowledged he was wrong and what he did was breaking the law.


1) The "cops" didn't bring this to light, normal citizens did who had video evidnce. As such, the "cops" didn't do anything.

2) This "prosecution" will be mickey mouse, just like the whole Ferguson fiasco. As the District Attorney works closely with the police, the DA actually will side with the police and throw this. (Common practice when a case like this is actually brought to trial)

But as long as the motions of a trial are gone through, some will believe it is justice when the "cops" walk as usual!


I told myself that I was not going to comment on this, simply because I was not there and--knowing the limitations of video evidence, something we've discussed before in the Forums--I therefore don't actually know what happened. That's what I told myself, until I saw the assumption of a prosecutor going light on a cop. It does NOT work that way in real life, TV police dramas be d_mned! A lawyer is a lawyer, and most prosecutors I've known left that position just as soon as a law firm offered them jobs paying real money. And the quickest way to make a name for yourself as a prosecutor is to take down a politician or a cop. You're virtually guaranteed a cush job with some big defense attorney who wants your name on his shingle. So, trust me, the DA will do everything in his/her power to convict the officer in question. My question is: what happened during the initial traffic stop that provoked all this?


Seriously, are you joking? The District Attorney NEEDS the cooperation of police to make their cases! They toss one cop away, and their lives are made miserable! That is why it has been PROVEN that the Furgeson grand jury was a joke with all the inconsistencies!

YOU are the one thinking of TV and the whole Law and Order series when going after corrupt officials!


I am not joking. I am a real-life police officer who goes to real court on real cases.


Have you EVER turned in a fellow officer for unlawful/unethical behavior? or have you looked the other way?

Also what do you think of that whole grand jury stuff from the Michael Brown incident from your point of view after reviewing the evidence?


I'm sorry, but I was not part of that grand jury and did not get to review that evidence. As far as turning in a fellow officer for unlawful/unethical behavior, why do you seem to assume that I have witnessed such?
42866 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / M / Memphis, TN
Offline
Posted 4/7/15

oodain wrote:

also just because you are a cop doesn't actually mean you know anything about what you say, look up why appeals to authority are logical fallacies.


Yes, I'm sure that's a self-contained chapter in The Big Book of Answers to Everything. I'm on it!
3614 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / M / Rochester, NY
Offline
Posted 4/7/15


I'm sorry, but I was not part of that grand jury and did not get to review that evidence. As far as turning in a fellow officer for unlawful/unethical behavior, why do you seem to assume that I have witnessed such?

1) I was under the impression that no human being is perfect. I guess you work in a department where everyone is perfect.

2) It has been proven quite well that power corrupts

3) Nice deflection.

Have you ever wondered why respect for the police is at an all-time low?

Look at my age, you will see that I am old enough to remember when cops were respected by almost everyone. Now, it is far from it.

There used to be a time when officers used a weapon as a last resort, not as a first.
There used to be a time when officers weren't used as just another tool of tax collection (i.e. quotas on traffic tickets. My brother-in-law got put on graveyard shift for not writing enough - State trooper, but his superiors refused to write it down as the reason as quotas while illegal apparently exist)
There used to be a time when officers policed themselves (or at least the technology wasn't available to capture the abuses we can now see by a majority of the people having video phones)
There used to be a time when the mentally ill weren't gunned down, but rather talked down
There used to be a time when officers first went to their billy club before their gun

1398 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 4/7/15

moonhawk81 wrote:


oodain wrote:

also just because you are a cop doesn't actually mean you know anything about what you say, look up why appeals to authority are logical fallacies.


Yes, I'm sure that's a self-contained chapter in The Big Book of Answers to Everything. I'm on it!

knowing logical fallacies is a base skill like reading writing or arithmetic, it is part of civilized society and is part of the very basis of law, for a cop to take that attitude towards it is beyond scary.


1329 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / NY
Offline
Posted 4/7/15 , edited 4/8/15

teallerina wrote:

And yet, what would have happened if the guy shot had been white and the cop black? The number of situations like that, that the media ignores. Anyway, I'm sure certain people will be protesting - yet you'll never see these same people protesting if the man killed was black by a black copper, or white by a black cop.

It is only racist and wrong when a white cop kills a black person, remember that folks! Nothing else matters!

Anyway, as usual the black bro did the wrong thing, but the media will not focus on that only "omg a black man was killed by a white cop woo!". Still, wish only tasers were used.


you're idiotic. do you know what the fundamental difference between white on black murder vs. all your dumb comparisons? your examples have nothing to do with race -- and i'm not sure why you're trying to justify this by saying 'oh! but blacks kill blacks too!' like..

there is obvious racism here and you have to be extremely narrow-minded to disregard the fact that many murders involving the police/general police brutality are linked to institutionalized racism. i can't believe there are still people trying to give benefit of doubt to a blatantly racist institution. playing devil's advocate is an outdated and tired position

"And yet, what would have happened if the guy shot had been white and the cop black?"
umm the black cop would be tried for murder... what kind of question is this?

"yet you'll never see these same people protesting if the man killed was black by a black copper, or white by a black cop"
because what you listed wouldn't have been about race... lmao... don't be stupid. you think they're only angry about the fact that someone got shot by a cop?

how dense are you

ot: i'm glad the cop is getting charged. unfortunately this is only the first step for a very long process. eric garner and his family still did not get the justice they deserved. but this is a start
42866 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / M / Memphis, TN
Offline
Posted 4/7/15

eightcar wrote:



I'm sorry, but I was not part of that grand jury and did not get to review that evidence. As far as turning in a fellow officer for unlawful/unethical behavior, why do you seem to assume that I have witnessed such?


1) I was under the impression that no human being is perfect. I guess you work in a department where everyone is perfect.

2) It has been proven quite well that power corrupts

3) Nice deflection.

Have you ever wondered why respect for the police is at an all-time low?

Look at my age, you will see that I am old enough to remember when cops were respected by almost everyone. Now, it is far from it.

There used to be a time when officers used a weapon as a last resort, not as a first.
There used to be a time when officers weren't used as just another tool of tax collection (i.e. quotas on traffic tickets. My brother-in-law got put on graveyard shift for not writing enough - State trooper, but his superiors refused to write it down as the reason as quotas while illegal apparently exist)
There used to be a time when officers policed themselves (or at least the technology wasn't available to capture the abuses we can now see by a majority of the people having video phones)
There used to be a time when the mentally ill weren't gunned down, but rather talked down
There used to be a time when officers first went to their billy club before their gun



You know, before I let myself be drawn into this discussion, I had actually spent a couple of comfortable hours just watching new anime. I see now anew the wisdom of my original intention to avoid this thread. Alas, my hubris! Please, sir, enjoy your evening, knowing that even while you cuss me and mine, we continue to do our best to protect you along with everyone else.
42866 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / M / Memphis, TN
Offline
Posted 4/7/15

oodain wrote:


moonhawk81 wrote:


oodain wrote:

also just because you are a cop doesn't actually mean you know anything about what you say, look up why appeals to authority are logical fallacies.


Yes, I'm sure that's a self-contained chapter in The Big Book of Answers to Everything. I'm on it!

knowing logical fallacies is a base skill like reading writing or arithmetic, it is part of civilized society and is part of the very basis of law, for a cop to take that attitude towards it is beyond scary.




Well, philosophy is fluid, whereas the law is meant to be concrete. Good evening, sir.
10633 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Rabbit Horse
Online
Posted 4/7/15
hopefully, the cop gets at least charged with a felony.
in the ideal case, he would lose his position as an officer and face probation, but everyone knows that's not going to happen.
1398 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 4/7/15 , edited 4/7/15

moonhawk81




Well, philosophy is fluid, whereas the law is meant to be concrete. Good evening, sir.


which is exactly my point, logical fallacies are objective, but it goes beyond that, your logic would be flawed even if absolutely everything you told us in here was true in your own personal experiences, but yours aren't necessarily representative of the majority or for that matter any percentage of your colleagues, it could be, but to make that assertion requires a hell lot more than your personal experiences and that is all if we overlook said appeals to authority.

TL:DR how about some actual arguments and not snappy comebacks and platitudes?
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.