First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next  Last
Post Reply White SC officer charged with murder for shooting black man.
13563 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / California
Offline
Posted 4/7/15
Well that video is practically all the evidence anyone would need to put the cop behind bars. Dude was running away unarmed and the cop just shot him down. I'm surprised that Yahoo showed as much as they did. Pretty graphic.
10583 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Rabbit Horse
Online
Posted 4/7/15
that video makes me *rage*
i bet the cop is not even worried about the trial though. hopefully this doesn't become another Eric Garner case.
5318 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Online
Posted 4/7/15
I think most people are jumping the gun here, the video looks pretty cut and dry as a truly despicable person taking advantage of authority and murdering someone, that's true. I don't know enough about what happened there to say whether this was or was not the case, no matter how compelling the video is. But (and maybe my hearing/ speakers or both are just bad) I didn't hear any racial slurs or anything that would make this a race motivated killing. I can say from my time in the military, some people are just itching to shoot someone. Could be he is racist, but in this specific case it seems biased to just assume that was the motive.

And just to be clear this opinion doesn't mean I deny the fact that there is still clearly racism in law enforcement these days, I just think jumping to that conclusion so early in specific cases like this help encourage tension between civilians and the majority of law enforcement who act appropriately and with good motives. It really is counter-productive to everyone except the news sites that get off on fear mongering.
10583 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Rabbit Horse
Online
Posted 4/7/15
just because someone doesn't say slur words, that doesn't mean the act is not racist.
3614 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / M / Rochester, NY
Offline
Posted 4/7/15

moonhawk81 wrote:


eightcar wrote:



I'm sorry, but I was not part of that grand jury and did not get to review that evidence. As far as turning in a fellow officer for unlawful/unethical behavior, why do you seem to assume that I have witnessed such?


1) I was under the impression that no human being is perfect. I guess you work in a department where everyone is perfect.

2) It has been proven quite well that power corrupts

3) Nice deflection.

Have you ever wondered why respect for the police is at an all-time low?

Look at my age, you will see that I am old enough to remember when cops were respected by almost everyone. Now, it is far from it.

There used to be a time when officers used a weapon as a last resort, not as a first.
There used to be a time when officers weren't used as just another tool of tax collection (i.e. quotas on traffic tickets. My brother-in-law got put on graveyard shift for not writing enough - State trooper, but his superiors refused to write it down as the reason as quotas while illegal apparently exist)
There used to be a time when officers policed themselves (or at least the technology wasn't available to capture the abuses we can now see by a majority of the people having video phones)
There used to be a time when the mentally ill weren't gunned down, but rather talked down
There used to be a time when officers first went to their billy club before their gun



You know, before I let myself be drawn into this discussion, I had actually spent a couple of comfortable hours just watching new anime. I see now anew the wisdom of my original intention to avoid this thread. Alas, my hubris! Please, sir, enjoy your evening, knowing that even while you cuss me and mine, we continue to do our best to protect you along with everyone else.

Just so you know, I would rather go back to the days when Adam-12 and Dragnet were the norm of how police acted and were viewed.
But people like me can't change that, whereas people like YOU c an!
Posted 4/7/15 , edited 4/8/15

teallerina wrote:

And yet, what would have happened if the guy shot had been white and the cop black? The number of situations like that, that the media ignores. Anyway, I'm sure certain people will be protesting - yet you'll never see these same people protesting if the man killed was black by a black copper, or white by a black cop.

It is only racist and wrong when a white cop kills a black person, remember that folks! Nothing else matters!

Anyway, as usual the black bro did the wrong thing, but the media will not focus on that only "omg a black man was killed by a white cop woo!". Still, wish only tasers were used.


what's your argument here? you're making up scenario's to discredit a real murder. Fact is, the cop was white and the victim was black, if a white cop murders a white man, then it's obviously wrong too, but of course it won't have anything to do with racism... how could it? that's such a dumb thing to say. You're more irritated by the fact that blacks are getting too much attention in the media BY BEING SHOT than you are that well, blacks are clearly abused and targeted at far far higher rates than other groups and the basis for the justification is always pretty much that the victim had it coming. Yes, police brutality does happen to everyone, but the cases involving blacks are constantly showing racial motivation and cover ups.
41848 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / M / Memphis, TN
Offline
Posted 4/7/15 , edited 4/7/15
Gentlemen (eightcar and oodain, specifically), I really must withdraw from this discussion--my shift will be starting soon, and I need to get to work. So, keep hating, and I'll keep protecting both you and your right to hate. It's just another perk of my job. Good night.
6093 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 4/7/15

deer wrote:


teallerina wrote:

And yet, what would have happened if the guy shot had been white and the cop black? The number of situations like that, that the media ignores. Anyway, I'm sure certain people will be protesting - yet you'll never see these same people protesting if the man killed was black by a black copper, or white by a black cop.

It is only racist and wrong when a white cop kills a black person, remember that folks! Nothing else matters!

Anyway, as usual the black bro did the wrong thing, but the media will not focus on that only "omg a black man was killed by a white cop woo!". Still, wish only tasers were used.


you're idiotic. do you know what the fundamental difference between white on black murder vs. all your dumb comparisons? your examples have nothing to do with race -- and i'm not sure why you're trying to justify this by saying 'oh! but blacks kill blacks too!' like..

there is obvious racism here and you have to be extremely narrow-minded to disregard the fact that many murders involving the police/general police brutality are linked to institutionalized racism. i can't believe there are still people trying to give benefit of doubt to a blatantly racist institution. playing devil's advocate is an outdated and tired position

"And yet, what would have happened if the guy shot had been white and the cop black?"
umm the black cop would be tried for murder... what kind of question is this?

"yet you'll never see these same people protesting if the man killed was black by a black copper, or white by a black cop"
because what you listed wouldn't have been about race... lmao... don't be stupid. you think they're only angry about the fact that someone got shot by a cop?

how dense are you

ot: i'm glad the cop is getting charged. unfortunately this is only the first step for a very long process. eric garner and his family still did not get the justice they deserved. but this is a start


10583 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Rabbit Horse
Online
Posted 4/7/15 , edited 4/7/15
what's more disgusting about this, is the police officer who murdered him framed Scott for grabbing his weapon, which he didn't.

edit: some comments here are appalling...
even if Scott did violate a law in one or another, he still has the Constitutional right to have a fair trial given to him
and to be presented with all charges against him (Const. Art. VI). Punishment is only allowed as a result of such trials by Constitution.
(Const. Art. V). The murder of Scott is a violation of Article VIII, regarding unusual punishment (the video evidence strongly suggests that the
victim was scared and afraid of the cop). As you can see, at least 3 Constitutional articles have been broken.
20192 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / The Heroes Associ...
Offline
Posted 4/7/15 , edited 4/8/15
so... when are we going to start seeing

"Black officer shoots white man"

Or is it only a race thing when its a white cop?
52119 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Tiphares
Offline
Posted 4/7/15

AzazelOfNexium wrote:

so... when are we going to start seeing

"Black officer shoots white man"

Or is it only a race thing when its a white cop?


I think you know the answer(s) already.
35017 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 4/7/15
You asked for a more reputable source, so here it is:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2015/04/07/south-carolina-police-officer-will-be-charged-with-murder-after-shooting/

Particularly interesting is this part of the article:


The video shows Slager picking up an item and placing it near Scott, though it is unclear if this is the Taser or something else. Police later said that Scott was hit with the Taser at least once, because part of it was still attached to him when other officers arrived on the scene. But city officials said that Scott was clearly too far away to use a Taser if he did have it.


I've watched the unedited video several times now, and I think toward the point that Scott makes a run for it I see something fly off to Slager's right and hit the ground behind him immediately before he draws his handgun. It might be the taser, it might be nothing at all. It's not a very well-shot video, moving around, blurring up, and getting obstructed frequently, but the key parts seem to be there plain as day: Scott was fleeing prior to Slager's opening fire, and there's no indication that he was armed as he fled. Slager is in it deep, and this is exactly why it should be (or should remain) legal to film officers so long as filming doesn't interfere with their work.
20192 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / The Heroes Associ...
Offline
Posted 4/7/15 , edited 4/7/15


(s)your right, I forgot that only white people can discriminate or be racist.

I also forgot that anything a white person does is automatically racist.

Its not like I live in a third world country where I was beat up on a daily basis in school for being white, or I was abused by teachers and had pot planted on me by a black cop or anything.

I keep forgetting that white people are the cause of all the problems in the world. White people and men should just die, am i right? (/s)
10583 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Rabbit Horse
Online
Posted 4/7/15 , edited 4/7/15
people accuse the media of only focusing on violence against colored people and forget that the footage was taken by an average citizen
who just happened to be near the scene. the media only reported on the video taken by the average citizen, much like in the Garner case.

above: slippery slope, everywhere.
6093 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 4/7/15 , edited 4/7/15
No your wrong azafail and its phucing hilarious to see white men crying about how exploited they are!!...LOL!!!!!!!!!!!..

Keep on Crying..
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.