First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply Why do there exist gay conservatives?
9551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 4/8/15 , edited 4/8/15

SweetPerplexity wrote:


megahobbit wrote:


SweetPerplexity wrote:

This is by far the stupidest thread I've ever read.


Silversongwriters gone much stupider.


Threads like this are toxic to the community on this website.


Well hes obviously trolling but It doesnt break any rules. Its certainly toxic but nothing can be done about it and I would say a couple of the aprils fools threads (the cop shooting cosplayer one in particular) have gone farther than anything hes done.
5613 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/8/15 , edited 4/8/15

SweetPerplexity

Threads like this are toxic to the community on this website.


The truth is toxic... not all gays are uppity liberal snobs who think the world owes them something.
Such a toxic truth... I couldn't imagine anything more toxic than the idea of a minority who's ideology differs from many individuals within his minority

I guess you're right. Gay conservatives should be mocked and shamed... along with people identifying as ex-gay. That would be the "tolerant" thing to do


megahobbit wrote:
Well hes obviously trolling but It doesnt break any rules. Its certainly toxic but nothing can be done about it and I would say a couple of the aprils fools threads (the cop shooting cosplayer one in particular) have gone farther than anything hes done.


Sarcasm aside... why is it such an issue. Not all gays agree with the liberal ideas expounded by gay activists...

In fact, here's a theory. Maybe liberal gay activists make up a tiny portion of homosexuals but speak the loudest and create an image that you're "supposed" to have if you're gay. But in reality, these so called "civil rights" activists only speak for the minority of gay hollywood liberals, and aren't a reflection of how an entire minority group feels...

You know... the exact same way christians are.
20192 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / The Heroes Associ...
Offline
Posted 4/8/15 , edited 4/8/15
Better than them being obnoxious far left neo nazi's.

Why does it matter who they support?

Not all conservatives are against marriage equality, just the non secular conservatives are.

I consider myself in the middle. I agree with some conservative talking points and I agree with some liberal talking points.

Not every conservative is a bigot like some leftest youtubers would have you believe.
27254 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 4/8/15 , edited 4/8/15
I think people should make decisions based on what is best for the country, not based on liberal or conservative beliefs.

The thing to ask: "How will this benefit the country?"

Not the thing to ask: "Is the person who proposed it a liberal or conservative?"

Why should it matter if a person is liberal or conservative if their proposal is for the benefit of the country and not for furthering liberal or conservative political goals?



Taking and defending a side ultimately seems to cause people to lose touch with what laws are supposed to be for in the first place. Like two kids squabbling over who deserves the cookie when there's a speeding car approaching. Don't lose sight of the most important basics.
29118 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
83 / F / Bite the pillow.
Offline
Posted 4/8/15
Well, it didn't take too long for Godwin's Law to kick in.
35150 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / F / Seireitei, Soul S...
Online
Posted 4/8/15

silversongwriter wrote:

Gays are not out to destroy society and take your religious freedom... liberals are.


Being a bisexual female, as well as being a Wiccan Witch and a liberal, I have a real problem with this sentence. Liberals are NOT out to take your religious freedom away. In fact, they are FOR religious freedom and for the right for anyone to practice whatever religious belief that they want without being harassed or discriminated against for it. Doesn't mean that we have to believe the same thing, as long as you don't try to push your beliefs on me without wanting them.
5613 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/8/15

BlackRose0607 wrote:


silversongwriter wrote:

Gays are not out to destroy society and take your religious freedom... liberals are.


Being a bisexual female, as well as being a Wiccan Witch and a liberal, I have a real problem with this sentence. Liberals are NOT out to take your religious freedom away. In fact, they are FOR religious freedom and for the right for anyone to practice whatever religious belief that they want without being harassed or discriminated against for it. Doesn't mean that we have to believe the same thing, as long as you don't try to push your beliefs on me without wanting them.


Unless you don't wanna serve a gay wedding... then liberals can't stand religious freedom.

Every one I've spoke to said, "It's not constitutional to make laws that benefit religion", ignoring the fact that we've been doing just that throughout american history
36990 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Bellingham WA, USA
Offline
Posted 4/8/15
I'm an atheist Republican, and I have no issues with gay marriage.

As far as I'm concerned, catering to the religious right as the new base was a horrendous blunder and it's on us millennials to bring things back in line to how the party was meant to be.

I also think Nixon was a good president. Maybe I'm just a weirdo though
27254 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 4/8/15 , edited 4/8/15
Religion should be allowed but it should not be allowed to directly influence the way things actually operate in the world. Your own mind is a room in a massive complex with which you live with others. You're free to do whatever you want in your own room, in your own mind. But once your open the door and your mess spills out into the common area (into reality) and adversely affects other people, it is a wrongdoing.

Many who are against religion seem to be overreaching and bordering on "thought-policing," which is not good.

Equally bad are those who like religion and seem to think opening that door to reality and allowing the mess to spill out is okay.



Don't thought-police and don't open the door to expose others adversely to your mess. It's a pretty simple concept to me, to be honest.
5613 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/8/15

Balzack wrote:

I'm an atheist Republican, and I have no issues with gay marriage.

As far as I'm concerned, catering to the religious right as the new base was a horrendous blunder and it's on us millennials to bring things back in line to how the party was meant to be.

I also think Nixon was a good president. Maybe I'm just a weirdo though :P


I have a very libertarian stance against gay marriage... as in, I wanna slowly work towards creating a nation with minimal government intervention, and create an economy where legally recognized marriage isn't nessasary.
So technically, I'm against straight and gay marriage.
But gay marriage isn't an issue you should be concerned about so much unless you're voting for a local/state level politician or the supreme court. As those are who will ultimately decide on the issue.

Of course, the real issue nowadays has shifted from... "Can gays get married?" to "Should gays be allowed to force religious business's to cater to their wedding?"
Most people who are against gay marriage understand that it can't be stopped. So opposition to it, is pretty pointless. However, the other issue isn't a gay rights issue... What's happened in Kansas, Arizona, Indiana, and other states is a "role of government" issue.
35150 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / F / Seireitei, Soul S...
Online
Posted 4/8/15

silversongwriter wrote:


BlackRose0607 wrote:


silversongwriter wrote:

Gays are not out to destroy society and take your religious freedom... liberals are.


Being a bisexual female, as well as being a Wiccan Witch and a liberal, I have a real problem with this sentence. Liberals are NOT out to take your religious freedom away. In fact, they are FOR religious freedom and for the right for anyone to practice whatever religious belief that they want without being harassed or discriminated against for it. Doesn't mean that we have to believe the same thing, as long as you don't try to push your beliefs on me without wanting them.


Unless you don't wanna serve a gay wedding... then liberals can't stand religious freedom.

Every one I've spoke to said, "It's not constitutional to make laws that benefit religion", ignoring the fact that we've been doing just that throughout american history


I was talking more in the broad sense, not about in a specific situation. Maybe it's the state that I grew up and live in, since it's a more liberal and green party state than a conservative one, but my state is very open about religion being free here and people not being discriminated against for it. I'm not saying that discrimination of religion doesn't exist in my state, just that we try to live and let live here. Like PapaGolfWhisky said, unless it happened to someone of importance in my state, if a business refused to serve a gay or lesbian couple based on religious beliefs, or if a Christian business refused to serve a Muslim couple, then it would probably go unnoticed and everyone would just go on their way. I myself have no problem with that really. That's their choice as a business owner. Word would get around and they probably wouldn't last much longer as a business after that though, from where I am. All I'm saying is that not all liberals are like that, so please don't make broad statements about a whole party when everyone has their own take on things.
35150 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / F / Seireitei, Soul S...
Online
Posted 4/8/15

silversongwriter wrote:


Balzack wrote:

I'm an atheist Republican, and I have no issues with gay marriage.

As far as I'm concerned, catering to the religious right as the new base was a horrendous blunder and it's on us millennials to bring things back in line to how the party was meant to be.

I also think Nixon was a good president. Maybe I'm just a weirdo though :P


I have a very libertarian stance against gay marriage... as in, I wanna slowly work towards creating a nation with minimal government intervention, and create an economy where legally recognized marriage isn't nessasary.
So technically, I'm against straight and gay marriage.
But gay marriage isn't an issue you should be concerned about so much unless you're voting for a local/state level politician or the supreme court. As those are who will ultimately decide on the issue.

Of course, the real issue nowadays has shifted from... "Can gays get married?" to "Should gays be allowed to force religious business's to cater to their wedding?"
Most people who are against gay marriage understand that it can't be stopped. So opposition to it, is pretty pointless. However, the other issue isn't a gay rights issue... What's happened in Kansas, Arizona, Indiana, and other states is a "role of government" issue.


^This. This is what I believe on the subject, and couldn't have said it better myself.
36990 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Bellingham WA, USA
Offline
Posted 4/8/15

silversongwriter wrote:

I have a very libertarian stance against gay marriage... as in, I wanna slowly work towards creating a nation with minimal government intervention, and create an economy where legally recognized marriage isn't nessasary.
So technically, I'm against straight and gay marriage.
But gay marriage isn't an issue you should be concerned about so much unless you're voting for a local/state level politician or the supreme court. As those are who will ultimately decide on the issue.

Of course, the real issue nowadays has shifted from... "Can gays get married?" to "Should gays be allowed to force religious business's to cater to their wedding?"
Most people who are against gay marriage understand that it can't be stopped. So opposition to it, is pretty pointless. However, the other issue isn't a gay rights issue... What's happened in Kansas, Arizona, Indiana, and other states is a "role of government" issue.


I'm with you for the most part. But if you did away with the legal aspects of marriage how would you manage assets after merging two households together? Or divide them if it doesn't work out? At that point you'd realize the necessity of at least having civil unions. But then the word marriage just becomes a matter of semantics.
21448 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / M / Between yesterday...
Online
Posted 4/8/15 , edited 4/8/15

SweetPerplexity wrote:


gvblackmoon wrote:


silversongwriter wrote:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/tammy-bruce-indiana-fascist-wolf-pack
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/gay-conservatives-rebut-media-on-indiana-religious-freedom-law/article/2562477

Now... I'm not here to kiss this womans ass, since many of the stuff she has said and supported I disagree with. Which is natural, as I'm not really a conservative...

However, this clearly shows that there's really no reason to be homophobic. Gays are not out to destroy society and take your religious freedom... liberals are. And for someone who leans to the right on this particular issue, it's glad to see not every gay person is a liberal
Now what does that mean for someone to be gay and conservative? Well, to a liberal, that probably makes them a sell out. You probably think they secretly hate being gay and wanna undermine gay rights or some shit like that... in other words... you can't see how rational these people are
Like Rob Halford of Judas Priest. I don't know what his ideology is, but I know he was one of the few people who reacted rationally to what that Chick Fil A guy said.

Now, why would these people support the indiana bill, as well as similar bills accross the country. After all, laws like this only pass in states with LGBT discimination laws on the book. A bill like that couldn't pass in NC. Because we don't have any protections in the first place.
Well... I have two theories.
1. They support the free market. which would make them conservatives or liberatrians
2. They care more about religious freedom than advancing some agenda... The way I see it, these people are more disgusted by a couple suing, tarnishing, and desecrating a business over their religious beliefs, than they do about being able to get anything from any place. Perhaps, they care about the other side.

In other words, you shouldn't be homophobic, be liberalophobic. And there are plenty of liberalophobic gays.


Look up the condition called "cognitive dissonance" this covers a wide range of right wing behavior. From things like this to the claims about birth control to climate change. This also covers folks that believe conspiracies as well.


Stop keeping this thread alive.
Cognitive Dissonance is more of a state than a condition.
And you're not talking about cognitive dissonance here, since that's what leads to conformity. It doesn't last very long due to it's instability hence the word 'dissonance' So you can't say a belief is based on it.
You're looking for the term 'double think' which still doesn't justify your points, but if you used that term instead, it would take longer to debunk your argument, thats all. Both terms are irrelevant and hold no real purpose in this argument. But at least you can pretend to have a valid argument by using the term 'double think'


Really so when the facts prove out that you are wrong and you still follow that belief or idea as truth it isn't cognitive dissonance. Example The world is going to end on a given date and then doesn't end and the people still follow this ideology. That isn't cognitive dissonance? Funny thing is that is what the guy who came up with the theory of this was trying to figure out and why he came up with the theory. Theory why do people keep falling back on a belief that is proven wrong cognitive dissonance is this reason they can not move past the idea as being wrong.

In this case the cognitive dissonance is as follows. Person is LGBT is a republican or libertarian believes that they will be treated as an equal in the republican party. Reality they aren't yet they still believe they will have an equal voice. So even when given proof that they will not be treated as equals they continue to follow the ideas because they get uncomfortable when they try to move beyond that point. So they will defend points of view that are counter to their own good.

But than you would consider this sour grapes. As I pointed out it is enforce conformity within their community and their beliefs.


9551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 4/8/15 , edited 4/8/15

silversongwriter wrote:


megahobbit wrote:
Well hes obviously trolling but It doesnt break any rules. Its certainly toxic but nothing can be done about it and I would say a couple of the aprils fools threads (the cop shooting cosplayer one in particular) have gone farther than anything hes done.


Sarcasm aside... why is it such an issue. Not all gays agree with the liberal ideas expounded by gay activists...

In fact, here's a theory. Maybe liberal gay activists make up a tiny portion of homosexuals but speak the loudest and create an image that you're "supposed" to have if you're gay. But in reality, these so called "civil rights" activists only speak for the minority of gay hollywood liberals, and aren't a reflection of how an entire minority group feels...

You know... the exact same way christians are.


I love how what you wrote has absolutely nothing to do with the quote of me.
Posted 4/8/15 , edited 4/8/15
I need to check the index of the book on life and i'll be back once I find out.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.