First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Who are the worst/dumbest protesters/activists ever
2299 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / F / US
Offline
Posted 4/12/15

silversongwriter wrote:


Akumanomi wrote:[
I can't help you with that. I honestly can't explain it. Ummm... well if you really do want answers you could go to a church... I guess... I don't know, I'm not an expert on this stuff. Oh well.


I don't really believe in that stuff...
But I will say the opinions of the WBC isnt' that rare. There's many christians will the same feelings, it's just that they don't believe in a sin the WBC commits all the time.

Pride... Most true "super fundamentalists" who share the beliefs of the WBC, still hate them for their sheer pridefulness

In the end, even real bigots don't like them.


I'm a fundamentalist myself and WBC is still sickening. Yes the Bible says what it says. It also mentions plenty of other sins and sin is sin. Be honest about where you stand but to be spiteful, that's certainly another issue all together. Plus I don't give much credit to cults and WBC certainly fits that bill.

5613 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/12/15

retronatrix wrote:


silversongwriter wrote:


Akumanomi wrote:[
I can't help you with that. I honestly can't explain it. Ummm... well if you really do want answers you could go to a church... I guess... I don't know, I'm not an expert on this stuff. Oh well.


I don't really believe in that stuff...
But I will say the opinions of the WBC isnt' that rare. There's many christians will the same feelings, it's just that they don't believe in a sin the WBC commits all the time.

Pride... Most true "super fundamentalists" who share the beliefs of the WBC, still hate them for their sheer pridefulness

In the end, even real bigots don't like them.


I'm a fundamentalist myself and WBC is still sickening. Yes the Bible says what it says. It also mentions plenty of other sins and sin is sin. Be honest about where you stand but to be spiteful, that's certainly another issue all together. Plus I don't give much credit to cults and WBC certainly fits that bill.



I think what they really want is attention most of all

And well... they're pretty good at getting it
2299 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / F / US
Offline
Posted 4/12/15 , edited 4/12/15



I think what they really want is attention most of all

And well... they're pretty good at getting it


Exactly. If it wasn't a matter of homosexuality they'd pick something else as a group. Don't forget the hivemind aspect of it: Leaning on the Bible is one thing if it's something in black and white. Leaning on someone's interpretation of the Bible is another because the stress is on the interpreter.

The Christ cursed a fig tree as well to make a figurative point. Whomever's leading WBC can say "Jesus cursed the fig tree so never eat figs! Eat figs and you'll be bound to hell!"

Doesn't make it true, just what one person pushes and people are willing to follow because they're standing on someone else's sand.

2270 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Southern US
Offline
Posted 4/12/15

retronatrix wrote:

I'm a fundamentalist myself and WBC is still sickening. Yes the Bible says what it says. It also mentions plenty of other sins and sin is sin. Be honest about where you stand but to be spiteful, that's certainly another issue all together. Plus I don't give much credit to cults and WBC certainly fits that bill.



Don't take this as me challenging your views, but I'd be interested in your thoughts on certain things labelled as a sin within the bible. Things like the prohibition on shaving sideburns, going without a hat, or wearing ripped or poly-blend clothing, working on sundays, and other things on the list.

I don't mention any dietary restrictions since that was apparently overturned in early Christianity by a vision to Saint Paul.
2299 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / F / US
Offline
Posted 4/12/15 , edited 4/12/15

Schmooples wrote:


retronatrix wrote:

I'm a fundamentalist myself and WBC is still sickening. Yes the Bible says what it says. It also mentions plenty of other sins and sin is sin. Be honest about where you stand but to be spiteful, that's certainly another issue all together. Plus I don't give much credit to cults and WBC certainly fits that bill.



Don't take this as me challenging your views, but I'd be interested in your thoughts on certain things labelled as a sin within the bible. Things like the prohibition on shaving sideburns, going without a hat, or wearing ripped or poly-blend clothing, working on sundays, and other things on the list.

I don't mention any dietary restrictions since that was apparently overturned in early Christianity by a vision to Saint Paul.


Hardly a challenge either way really. Those things you mentioned are Old Testament ceremonial and life laws given to the Jews. They're still under that law through a matter of faith. Jesus took away those laws as it was contingent on the final blood sacrifice. So it's the Jews today who are still under those rules, not Christians. The not working on Sunday is a catholic tradition that was taken from the Jewish laws against working the sabbath. It's a matter of conviction as a Christian, not a rule.
27230 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 4/12/15
Many people do not think about the fact that there are plenty of books that are omitted from the bible. Some omitted books directly conflict with the ones more widely known. Others are deemed unimportant and they are not chosen to be included. Even if people believe the bible is the word of God, they must still consider why the bible is not whole. Even among the books currently included, people pick and choose what they wish to believe. Things are lost in translation and meanings are altered through translation. Some versions are abridged and there are different versions even in the same language. The book that ends up in your hand is nothing close to the original and completed compilation of the books.
7547 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Ark-La-Tex
Offline
Posted 4/12/15
The Bible pays homosexuality little more than a passing glance - it's mentioned just seven times in the entire book. On the other hand, there are dozens of references to the importance of caring for God's creation (animals and the environment). So if the WBC were consistent, they would be spending much more time protesting the oil and logging industries.
2270 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Southern US
Offline
Posted 4/12/15

retronatrix wrote:


Schmooples wrote:

Don't take this as me challenging your views, but I'd be interested in your thoughts on certain things labelled as a sin within the bible. Things like the prohibition on shaving sideburns, going without a hat, or wearing ripped or poly-blend clothing, working on sundays, and other things on the list.

I don't mention any dietary restrictions since that was apparently overturned in early Christianity by a vision to Saint Paul.


Hardly a challenge either way really. Those things you mentioned are Old Testament ceremonial and life laws given to the Jews. They're still under that law through a matter of faith. Jesus took away those laws as it was contingent on the final blood sacrifice. So it's the Jews today who are still under those rules, not Christians. The not working on Sunday is a catholic tradition that was taken from the Jewish laws against working the sabbath. It's a matter of conviction as a Christian, not a rule.


Could you direct me to a specific passage that says that? Because many laws of the old testament are still adhered to, such as the 10 commandments.
Posted 4/12/15
lol, thanks for feeding our soul silver.
5613 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/12/15

retronatrix wrote:




I think what they really want is attention most of all

And well... they're pretty good at getting it



Exactly. If it wasn't a matter of homosexuality they'd pick something else as a group. Don't forget the hivemind aspect of it: Leaning on the Bible is one thing if it's something in black and white. Leaning on someone's interpretation of the Bible is another because the stress is on the interpreter.

The Christ cursed a fig tree as well to make a figurative point. Whomever's leading WBC can say "Jesus cursed the fig tree so never eat figs! Eat figs and you'll be bound to hell!"

Doesn't make it true, just what one person pushes and people are willing to follow because they're standing on someone else's sand.



Well... they also hate the coast guard, and kids who die of aids from blood transfusions.
Posted 4/12/15
Most "radical" feminists. Not going to say ALL feminists because that would be unfair to the few who actually have brains.

Mainly the ones who go and act dumb/shameful at MRA events.
2299 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / F / US
Offline
Posted 4/12/15




Schmooples wrote:


Could you direct me to a specific passage that says that? Because many laws of the old testament are still adhered to, such as the 10 commandments.


Colossians 2:14

Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross


Using the 10 commandments as a life's guideline is one thing but it's not a law. A Biblical law, Old or New Testament, is something that MUST be done either to blot out and be forgiven as sin or to make ammends to someone. Living by the commandments as a guideline is one thing, doing it because you feel you must is another.
Posted 4/12/15
http://www.worth1000.com/contests/5486/stupid-protests-6
Posted 4/12/15
Peta and Anita Sarkeesian.
2270 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Southern US
Offline
Posted 4/12/15

retronatrix wrote:





Schmooples wrote:


Could you direct me to a specific passage that says that? Because many laws of the old testament are still adhered to, such as the 10 commandments.


Colossians 2:14

Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross


Using the 10 commandments as a life's guideline is one thing but it's not a law. A Biblical law, Old or New Testament, is something that MUST be done either to blot out and be forgiven as sin or to make ammends to someone. Living by the commandments as a guideline is one thing, doing it because you feel you must is another.


Colossians 2:16 -- "Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day"

It doesn't sound to be removing all ordinances, but rather those relating to dietary restrictions and holidays.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.