First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
Post Reply Ever eaten an exotic meat?
5613 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/14/15

Schmooples wrote:

Does frog count? I'm not sure how common it is, but I've only seen it in a few places. It was pretty good, but there wasn't really enough meat. Kinda like chicken wings, but more tender and with less meat.


I've had frog legs quite a few times. I guess it depends where you live. In some places rabbit and duck are "exotic", but around here you can get it in regular grocery stores
5117 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / San Diego
Offline
Posted 4/14/15
Does lamb brain count?
60482 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / M / Bay Area, CA, USA
Offline
Posted 4/14/15
One person's "exotic" might be another's staple food. Anyway, I've had buffalo, elk, goat, deer, emu, ostrich, duck, alligator, kangaroo, lamb, steak tartare, horse sashimi, chicken sashimi, squid, octopus, crayfish, monkfish liver. Most I've enjoyed-- but not all. Most can be found in the U.S. too, though some things are much easier to find than others. I haven't eaten frog legs yet-- not sure I really want to. I'll definitely never knowingly willingly eat insects-- the psychological barrier for me is just too high. (Had an opportunity to eat witchetty grub in Australia, but just couldn't muster up the courage to do it!)
33924 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Florida
Offline
Posted 4/14/15 , edited 4/14/15

HuastecoOtaku wrote:


anikevin wrote:

I don't know if guinea pigs count.
Since we had like 70-100 guinea pigs, my family used to eat them once a week.
I don't like the meat, but their roasted livers are delicious.


Are you Peruvian or Ecuadorian?


I'm Peruvian.
21448 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / M / Between yesterday...
Offline
Posted 4/14/15

silversongwriter wrote:

I'm not sure if alligator or shark counts as "exotic", but they're delicious. Octopus, Squid, and Cuttlefish are other ones that people don't eat commonly, but aren't really "Exotic" or hard to find if you know where to look. Elk and buffalo are kind of hard to find. Oxen is too I guess. Same with prawns, but those things are way too expensive.

I tried kangaroo at a restaurant. I was slightly disappointed, it wasn't that unique and for the most part, it just tasted like Filet Mignon. Don't get me wrong, it was good.. but not much better than a regular steak.


If it isn't something that would be normally found on a farm Elk deer bear shark gator snake so on. It would be exotic, we have a few places that sell most exotic meats. As for eating it Bambi tastes great so does Yogi, bison is good as well.
48449 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / AZ
Offline
Posted 4/14/15 , edited 4/14/15


anikevin wrote:


HuastecoOtaku wrote:


anikevin wrote:

I don't know if guinea pigs count.
Since we had like 70-100 guinea pigs, my family used to eat them once a week.
I don't like the meat, but their roasted livers are delicious.


Are you Peruvian or Ecuadorian?


I'm Peruvian.



Viva Perú! Viva el Señor de los Milagros!
5012 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/14/15
Kangaroo twice. Aligator once. Living in a port town is awesome.
Posted 4/14/15
^ I was going to say frog legs, lol.
5613 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/14/15

gvblackmoon wrote:


silversongwriter wrote:

I'm not sure if alligator or shark counts as "exotic", but they're delicious. Octopus, Squid, and Cuttlefish are other ones that people don't eat commonly, but aren't really "Exotic" or hard to find if you know where to look. Elk and buffalo are kind of hard to find. Oxen is too I guess. Same with prawns, but those things are way too expensive.

I tried kangaroo at a restaurant. I was slightly disappointed, it wasn't that unique and for the most part, it just tasted like Filet Mignon. Don't get me wrong, it was good.. but not much better than a regular steak.


If it isn't something that would be normally found on a farm Elk deer bear shark gator snake so on. It would be exotic, we have a few places that sell most exotic meats. As for eating it Bambi tastes great so does Yogi, bison is good as well.


I honestly don't like deer too much. It's so rough, and dry. But maybe I haven't had it cooked right before
21448 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / M / Between yesterday...
Offline
Posted 4/14/15

silversongwriter wrote:


gvblackmoon wrote:


silversongwriter wrote:

I'm not sure if alligator or shark counts as "exotic", but they're delicious. Octopus, Squid, and Cuttlefish are other ones that people don't eat commonly, but aren't really "Exotic" or hard to find if you know where to look. Elk and buffalo are kind of hard to find. Oxen is too I guess. Same with prawns, but those things are way too expensive.

I tried kangaroo at a restaurant. I was slightly disappointed, it wasn't that unique and for the most part, it just tasted like Filet Mignon. Don't get me wrong, it was good.. but not much better than a regular steak.


If it isn't something that would be normally found on a farm Elk deer bear shark gator snake so on. It would be exotic, we have a few places that sell most exotic meats. As for eating it Bambi tastes great so does Yogi, bison is good as well.


I honestly don't like deer too much. It's so rough, and dry. But maybe I haven't had it cooked right before


Bacon and marinate, bacon adds bit of fat to the cooking so it isn't as dry, and if you do the marinate right it knocks down the gamy taste, but not to much since you want that taste just don't want it overwhelming. You can get a similar effect by cooking it with butter but that doesn't work on the grill. The dryness comes from the meat being so lean and the gamy taste comes from the fact it isn't raised on corn and other grains.
21448 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / M / Between yesterday...
Offline
Posted 4/14/15

HuastecoOtaku wrote:



anikevin wrote:


HuastecoOtaku wrote:


anikevin wrote:

I don't know if guinea pigs count.
Since we had like 70-100 guinea pigs, my family used to eat them once a week.
I don't like the meat, but their roasted livers are delicious.


Are you Peruvian or Ecuadorian?


I'm Peruvian.



Viva Perú! Viva el Señor de los Milagros!


Guinea pigs count and they are a great source of portent sci fi writes use them as a meat source in some space novels.
12599 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/14/15
does ostrich count?
27265 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 4/14/15

whycantirememberit wrote:

Does lamb brain count?


It had the consistency of soft tofu
5447 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
54 / M / Tacoma, WA. wind...
Offline
Posted 4/14/15
I used to go hunting so I've had wild duck and goose several different kinds. I've also had elk, deer, (several different kinds), bison and pronghorn antelope.
I used to like wild game . . . now no matter what I do it tastes like old liver to me. I guess I just don't care for it anymore. The only exception was antelope, it tasted like really good beef.

I don't know if you call wild game exotic, maybe to some people.
I have had rabbit and frog.... They do taste a lot like chicken... I was expecting the frog to taste a little more like a whitefish.
When we lived in Minot, ND. one of the stores sold rabbit, it was a little cheaper than chicken now and then. My mom would bread it up and fry it just like her chicken and NO BODY could tell the difference.... It was GOOOOOOD.

When I was really young I shot a Coot and took it home, cleaned it, prepared it like Duck à l'orange.... it was fricking hideous... kind of like the "old liver" flavor but with a special muddiness tossed in for good measure.
29058 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / US
Offline
Posted 4/14/15

silversongwriter wrote:


CalifCat wrote:

I don't know if goat is exotic, but it tasted awful or maybe the chef was awful.


The chef was awful. I can make some goat gyros that are delicious


goats a the best =D

i ate a dog
i was a kid
didnt know it was a dog
i ate a dog
left over was fed to the dog
even the dog didnt know
we ate dog
bow
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.