First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply What Type of Bow Do You Prefer?
884 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M
Offline
Posted 4/15/15
After seeing Mortal Kombat X

The Bow-Staff


But seriously though the only bow i have ever picked up was a recurve, so yeah, that.
24263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 4/15/15
My friend has a compound bow and I like it.
23469 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Iowa >.>
Offline
Posted 4/16/15 , edited 4/16/15
ok I've been hunting with bows for about 10 years now, both a recurve and longbow are about the same difficulty when drawing back, besides most snap shot when using one since you don't have a drop off like you do with compounds. compounds on the other hand do have drop off meaning if the bow is 70 pounds and you draw it back about 1/4 to 3/4 of the way it becomes easier, meaning you aren't holding back the full 70 pounds but a lot less (depending on the drop off percent, this is based on the maker)

as for crossbows being less accurate.... what? crossbows I'd say are way more accurate than any bow. it's like shooting a rifle plus you aren't holding anything back like a bow.

I prefer compounds since I mainly hunt with one do to accuracy and portability.

a few pics of my compound, sorry I took these on my phone so the pics are sideways
27244 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 4/16/15 , edited 4/16/15

longdanzi103 wrote:

ok I've been hunting with bows for about 10 years now, both a recurve and longbow are about the same difficulty when drawing back, besides most snap shot when using one since you don't have a drop off like you do with compounds. compounds on the other hand do have drop off meaning if the bow is 70 pounds and you draw it back about 1/4 to 3/4 of the way it becomes easier, meaning you aren't holding back the full 70 pounds but a lot less (depending on the drop off percent, this is based on the maker)

as for crossbows being less accurate.... what? crossbows I'd say are way more accurate than any bow. it's like shooting a rifle plus you aren't holding anything back like a bow.

I prefer compounds since I mainly hunt with one do to accuracy and portability.

a few pics of my compound, sorry I took these on my phone so the pics are sideways


Maybe it's just with certain types of crossbows. I noticed that a 50 pound draw weight on a crossbow is far less accurate than 50 on a compound or recurve when it comes to longer distances due to the size and weight of the bolt compared to that of an arrow. Same seems to apply to 75 pound ones. Granted, most crossbows have higher draw weights than that, so nobody pays attention to this.
23469 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Iowa >.>
Offline
Posted 4/16/15

Morbidhanson wrote:


longdanzi103 wrote:

ok I've been hunting with bows for about 10 years now, both a recurve and longbow are about the same difficulty when drawing back, besides most snap shot when using one since you don't have a drop off like you do with compounds. compounds on the other hand do have drop off meaning if the bow is 70 pounds and you draw it back about 1/4 to 3/4 of the way it becomes easier, meaning you aren't holding back the full 70 pounds but a lot less (depending on the drop off percent, this is based on the maker)

as for crossbows being less accurate.... what? crossbows I'd say are way more accurate than any bow. it's like shooting a rifle plus you aren't holding anything back like a bow.

I prefer compounds since I mainly hunt with one do to accuracy and portability.

a few pics of my compound, sorry I took these on my phone so the pics are sideways


Maybe it's just with certain types of crossbows. I noticed that a 50 pound draw weight on a crossbow is far less accurate than 50 on a compound or recurve when it comes to longer distances due to the size and weight of the bolt compared to that of an arrow. Same seems to apply to 75 pound ones. Granted, most crossbows have higher draw weights than that, so nobody pays attention to this.


50 pounds? Never seen one of those. All the crossbows I fired are at least 110 pounds
27244 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 4/16/15

longdanzi103 wrote:


Morbidhanson wrote:


longdanzi103 wrote:

ok I've been hunting with bows for about 10 years now, both a recurve and longbow are about the same difficulty when drawing back, besides most snap shot when using one since you don't have a drop off like you do with compounds. compounds on the other hand do have drop off meaning if the bow is 70 pounds and you draw it back about 1/4 to 3/4 of the way it becomes easier, meaning you aren't holding back the full 70 pounds but a lot less (depending on the drop off percent, this is based on the maker)

as for crossbows being less accurate.... what? crossbows I'd say are way more accurate than any bow. it's like shooting a rifle plus you aren't holding anything back like a bow.

I prefer compounds since I mainly hunt with one do to accuracy and portability.

a few pics of my compound, sorry I took these on my phone so the pics are sideways


Maybe it's just with certain types of crossbows. I noticed that a 50 pound draw weight on a crossbow is far less accurate than 50 on a compound or recurve when it comes to longer distances due to the size and weight of the bolt compared to that of an arrow. Same seems to apply to 75 pound ones. Granted, most crossbows have higher draw weights than that, so nobody pays attention to this.


50 pounds? Never seen one of those. All the crossbows I fired are at least 110 pounds


Those tend to be the smaller models, like hand bows.
1398 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 4/16/15
longbows, learned how to make them when i was younger and have 2 handmade bows, both ended up drawing a lot more than i intended, in part due to the relatively small grain spacing in the wood used, both made of dried elm with both core and outer growth.

our teacher made a recurve/decurve bow with sinew backing that was ridiculous compared to the size and girth of the limb, absolute masterpiece, unfortunately they delaminate fairly easily over time and require rebacking every once in a while.
2459 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Minnesota, USA
Offline
Posted 4/16/15
I think a beginner would be better off with a compound due to it's ease of use. My personal favorite [and the boy I own] would be a recurve. Mine is a composite material 50lb draw weight recurve. Shoots hard enough to knock most target cubes backwards
xxJing 
37183 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Duckburg
Online
Posted 4/16/15
105 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Mother Base
Offline
Posted 4/16/15
At first I was hoping we were talking about archery, but I was totally prepared to announce my love for the bow on Chitoge's head.

Anyway, I'd have to side with the longbow. Specifically, an English Longbow. That thing has one of the best track records for a ranged weapon, ever. A well trained English Bowmen's rate of fire wasn't topped until the invention of the Gatling Gun in the 1860's.

One of my friends also owns one, and oh my goodness, she's so much fun to play with. Yeah sure, it's pretty difficult to use at first, but compared to the amount of power one can pump out, it pays off. Plus, standard recurves are so much easier to fire after playing with one of those.

All of that being said, I own a compound bow, and I am a huge fan of being able to precisely aim before shooting.
17394 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Michigan
Offline
Posted 4/16/15


That kind of bow
37321 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Saint Charles, Mi...
Offline
Posted 4/16/15
I learned on a longbow, but I shoot Recurve and Compound recreationally, I really like my Browning Compound though. But reading throguh some history, and watching trick shot masters, I am re-examining the Recurve, it looks like it can be fun as hell with some practice.
24614 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M
Offline
Posted 4/16/15

PaulDHunter the strange little bow dojos [I know that is not what they are called, but I do not have the name of the place where you suit up, gear up, listen to instruction and shoot, on my tongue].
Pretty close actually. Its called a kyūdōjō.
27244 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 4/16/15 , edited 4/16/15
I'm leaning toward getting a new compound bow now. I prefer modern materials over wood, although wood looks much better to me.

Yumi longbows are cool but the learning curve seems way too steep. An ordinary longbow is difficult enough as is.

I found something called the Infinite Edge. Its highly adjustable draw weight (5-70 pounds) sounds pretty much perfect for easing back into archery without having to continuously buy new bows. The price seems really, really good as well and I read a bunch of good reviews about it.


I sort of want to paint it red or something. Solid black and brown camo sound really boring. And I don't really want a pink bow.

My old bow was a PSE Stinger which was lost in a garage fire.




I really like these types of "reverse" crossbows but these things are well over $1000. Yikes.
18491 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Los Angeles
Offline
Posted 4/16/15
These work well.

First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.