Chrome ending support to Unity
2849 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Houston, Tx
Offline
Posted 4/16/15 , edited 4/17/15
Posted 4/16/15 , edited 4/17/15
Don't care,
13985 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
☆Land of sweets☆
Offline
Posted 4/16/15 , edited 4/17/15
never heard of nor used unity.
28764 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Online
Posted 4/16/15 , edited 4/17/15
Weird that a popular browser won't support a popular game engine.
18849 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / US
Offline
Posted 4/16/15 , edited 4/17/15
I've never seen anything great come from the Unity engine, so this isn't that surprising.
Posted 4/17/15 , edited 4/17/15
It's fine with me, and I don't use Unity's plugin. I'd rather have a more secure browser.
6016 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Scotland
Offline
Posted 4/17/15 , edited 4/17/15
How very odd, I thought the big thing about the Unity game engine was that it was (comparatively) easy to use and that it ran on pretty much anything.

Wait a minute... Silverlight too? *sigh* Now I'll have to look at alternate means of accessing US Netflix.
Posted 4/17/15 , edited 4/17/15

TheMightyHarper wrote:

How very odd, I thought the big thing about the Unity game engine was that it was (comparatively) easy to use and that it ran on pretty much anything.

Wait a minute... Silverlight too? *sigh* Now I'll have to look at alternate means of accessing US Netflix.


Netflix has an HTML 5 player. https://help.netflix.com/en/node/23742
5179 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/17/15 , edited 4/18/15

Lowlights wrote:

I've never seen anything great come from the Unity engine, so this isn't that surprising.


To be fair Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty was done in Unity and has been very well received. The trick with Unity is that it is the engine of choice for a lot of new Indie developers so you get a mixed bag when it comes to titles (although I have not really seen anything specifically chrome based with Unity so I can only speak in general terms). It is surprising to hear Chrome is dropping support for it though.
2849 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Houston, Tx
Offline
Posted 4/19/15 , edited 4/19/15

MysticGon wrote:

Weird that a popular browser won't support a popular game engine.


Thing is, most reports of crashes that Chrome received came specifically from Unity- I suppose they were tired of getting those Unity Crash Report and trying to improve it.
28764 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Online
Posted 4/19/15 , edited 4/19/15

Biggle wrote:


MysticGon wrote:

Weird that a popular browser won't support a popular game engine.


Thing is, most reports of crashes that Chrome received came specifically from Unity- I suppose they were tired of getting those Unity Crash Report and trying to improve it.


Like Apple dumping Adobe Flash. Makes sense. There are plenty of other browser engines indies can use.
3095 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Internet
Offline
Posted 4/19/15 , edited 4/19/15
So many games are being made with Unity now, considering its cheap and accessible. But then again, most of those aren't browser-based games.
Sailor Candy Moderator
221163 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29
Offline
Posted 1/15/17 , edited 1/15/17
Forum Clean up. Old 2015 threads locked
You must be logged in to post.