First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply How do you feel about Transcendentalism?
35035 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 4/19/15
Of course, yet another thing I disagree with in transcendentalism is its emphasis on individualism and self-reliance. Communities are inherently interlinked, there's no way to truly become self-reliant. If you were to go live in a cave in the mountains and only eat bugs you squashed on the floor and walls with your bare hands, lapping water from a stream and warming yourself with the fur of an animal you beat to death with a stick you found on the ground, you would still have a connection to society. The armed forces would be keeping invaders away from your cave, law enforcement would be keeping criminals away, the air would be clean because of the action of environmental protection established by both private and public actors, your water would be clean for the same reason, you cannot get away.

There is no such thing as a truly self-reliant individual, and there never has been. There can't be.
9551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 4/19/15 , edited 4/19/15
Id just like to throw out that Waldens Pond is know a golf club. I find this immensely funny.
5613 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/19/15

BlueOni wrote:

Of course, yet another thing I disagree with in transcendentalism is its emphasis on individualism and self-reliance. Communities are inherently interlinked, there's no way to truly become self-reliant. If you were to go live in a cave in the mountains and only eat bugs you squashed on the floor and walls with your bare hands, lapping water from a stream and warming yourself with the fur of an animal you beat to death with a stick you found on the ground, you would still have a connection to society. The armed forces would be keeping invaders away from your cave, law enforcement would be keeping criminals away, the air would be clean because of the action of environmental protection established by both private and public actors, your water would be clean for the same reason, you cannot get away.

There is no such thing as a truly self-reliant individual, and there never has been. There can't be.


Yea... I think of the whole self-reliance thing as more of a mental thing and not literally.

Nobody is literally self-reliance, however, the mind itself... from an scale of thinking, should be as self-reliant as possible. Of course, that's just the idea of free thought. And that's basically same stuff I already said in my pro-ex-gay thread.

Of course event the mind can't truly be self-reliant. A 100% self-reliant mind is basically... being completely alone. The only way to be emotionally self-reliant is to have literally nobody else in life that you care about
Dragon
58362 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M
Online
Posted 4/19/15

silversongwriter wrote:

I think it's okay to buy MLP pony toys (I don't do that though, seriously), however, you can't refuse to acknowledge the fact they're for girls


Oh no. The horror. The possibility that the creation's appeal extended beyond the intended target audience. How awful that must be.
5613 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/19/15

MakotoKamui wrote:


silversongwriter wrote:

I think it's okay to buy MLP pony toys (I don't do that though, seriously), however, you can't refuse to acknowledge the fact they're for girls


Oh no. The horror. The possibility that the creation's appeal extended beyond the intended target audience. How awful that must be.


Oh... that's not a problem for me.
But it doesn't change the fact they were made for girls. It was just the fact that the show is so well done, that mean buy MLP collectable and brush MLP pony hair with little figurines.
I mean, you see a lot of men buying strawberry short cake stuff? Some do, but that's a big minority compared to bronies

Revolutionary Girl Utena is a shoujo anime. Based on a shoujo manga. And has lots of stuff that speaks directly to young girls. However, I still acknowledge it as that, even though it's my number one favorite anime of all time
9551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 4/19/15
>2010+5
>Still replying to Silver Songwriter threads seriously.
dsjb 
55639 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 4/19/15 , edited 4/19/15

megahobbit wrote:

>2010+5
>Still replying to Silver Songwriter threads seriously.


The way I see it you either ignore them or engage honestly with the topic at hand without getting mad. Not worth getting angry over them
5613 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/19/15

dsjb wrote:


megahobbit wrote:

>2010+5
>Still replying to Silver Songwriter threads seriously.


The way I see it you either ignore them or engage honestly with the topic at hand without getting mad.


I don't see anything to get mad about
dsjb 
55639 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 4/19/15 , edited 4/19/15

silversongwriter wrote:


dsjb wrote:


megahobbit wrote:

>2010+5
>Still replying to Silver Songwriter threads seriously.


The way I see it you either ignore them or engage honestly with the topic at hand without getting mad.


I don't see anything to get mad about


Indeed this ones fairly tame tbh.
5613 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/19/15 , edited 4/19/15

dsjb wrote:

No this ones fairly tame tbh.


Does that mean it loses it's sting? Do I need some anti-feminist statements and some sexist/homophobic slurs to spice things up?
dsjb 
55639 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 4/19/15 , edited 4/19/15

silversongwriter wrote:


dsjb wrote:

No this ones fairly tame tbh.


Does that mean it loses it's sting? Do I need some anti-feminist statements and some sexist/homophobic slurs to spice things up?


Its tough you don't want to push too hard and get it locked like the earlier one but you still want to provoke discussion, hard balance to set.
61159 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Online
Posted 4/19/15
I was fairly fascinated with Transcendentalism when I studied it in high school. However, as with most of the history I learned in school, I didn't delve too deeply and didn't retain much knowledge about it. I seem to recall that, on the surface, many of the transcendentalist views aligned well with my own, but as one might expect I couldn't agree with the core tenets. Emerson and Thoreau, however, are still two of my favorite historical figures.
Dragon
58362 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M
Online
Posted 4/19/15

silversongwriter wrote:


Oh... that's not a problem for me.
But it doesn't change the fact they were made for girls. It was just the fact that the show is so well done, that mean buy MLP collectable and brush MLP pony hair with little figurines.
I mean, you see a lot of men buying strawberry short cake stuff? Some do, but that's a big minority compared to bronies

Revolutionary Girl Utena is a shoujo anime. Based on a shoujo manga. And has lots of stuff that speaks directly to young girls. However, I still acknowledge it as that, even though it's my number one favorite anime of all time


Again, it seems like the number of fans of the 'not intended audience' group are the problem for you. Yes, not a lot of men buy Strawberry Shortcake stuff.. though some do. And yes, there are more men buying MLP stuff than men buying Strawberry Shortcake items. Both are aimed at girls, both have found wider audiences.. still failing to see a problem.

What does it matter if they enjoy something that you don't? I like mecha anime, and romcoms.. plenty of folks find that an odd mix, but don't judge me for it. It's just my taste, and that doesn't change if more or fewer people join me in it.
9551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 4/19/15
In all honesty I appreciate transcendentalism influenced feminism and environmentalism. But I consider most of the writing to come from it to melodramatic for my taste.
5613 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/19/15

megahobbit wrote:

In all honesty I appreciate transcendentalism influenced feminism and environmentalism. But I consider most of the writing to come from it to melodramatic for my taste.


Thoreau I liked, but some people like Walt Whitman really had their head up their ass, among other things (unfunny gay joke about walt whiteman)
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.