First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply Dies irae Animation Project Anticipation
230342 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Anime World
Offline
Posted 3/23/17
7179 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 3/24/17
I hope the VN comes out on Steam before the anime does. I'll be looking to read/watch both, but preferably read the game first.
230342 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Anime World
Offline
Posted 6/28/17
New key visual is out on the official site

diesirae-anime.com
22200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 7/4/17 , edited 7/4/17
So I wanted to provide more information on what Dies Irae is and what one can expect from the anime.

First, I want to heavily emphasize the following : Due to the nature of the source material, the anime will not likely cover or be representative of the entire story as a whole

Thus, I *highly* recommend reading the visual novel (the common route is free on Steam!). Trust me it is so worth it.

With that out of the way, what can you expect from Dies Irae?

Well, I believe the best way to sum it up is quoting a certain character on the nature of Dies Irae :

""Come, gather and bear witness to my opera, now in the making."
"Its script is the height of cliché, I am forced to admit. And yet..."
"Its actors are of the finest fold; beyond exquisite."
"Thus, I believe you will find it enthralling."


Dies Irae actually has a rather predictable plot, perhaps by design, a sort of plot you can see in any grand battle story that makes the supernatural a spectacle. However, where Dies Irae truly shines and where it gets its praise as a "god-game" (kamige) is its characters. The characters, particularly the villlians, are very complicated and naunced. They all have multilayered and ambiguous interactions with each other, and you will be enthralled by them. While their desires may be twisted, you can't help but fall in love with how earnest they are in pursuing them.

So ultimately Dies Irae is a supernatural battle royale that serves as a background to explore its wonderful cast of characters, and in particular one of its principle themes- the beauty of the fleeting moments in our lives.

This is actually a reason I am apprehensive of the anime, in that can it really capture the characters well? Especially consider some characters (such as Valeria Trifa) have development across all the routes?


So, speaking of the characters, I will post some non-spoiler introductions of two my favorites from the staff who translated the VN:


Reinhard Heydrich- Principle Villian




"Reinhard Heydrich, the man standing at the top of the Longinus Dreizehn Orden. Once an agent of Germany, he is now transcended: Reinhard is the Golden Beast, the Monarch of Destruction, the Harbinger of Beguiling Light. Though he was present at the fall of Berlin, he soon vanished amidst the flames of the burning capital, never to be seen again. Reinhard fears no man or gods, his destructive hunger driven by a simple desire: to lay waste upon all that crosses his path. He is like a radiant flame, his followers the moths unable to resist it; to call him a "male femme fatale" would be no exaggeration at all. Exactly why he wishes ruination upon all the cosmos is a mystery for readers to solve, but one thing remains certain: Reinhard will return. ...And on that Day of Wrath, the skies shall rain fire, with heaven and earth in ashes ending -- as foretold by David and the Sibyls."- GareJei (Editor of the VN)

Mercerius, also known as Karl Kraft - Principle Villian



"Karl Ernst Krafft, Number XIII of the Obsidian Round Table, also known as Mercurius. He was the one who approached Reinhard Heydrich in 1939, and introduced him to the path of sorcery, leading to his transcendence.A man of uncertain origins, he has lived through countless lives, experiencing everything there was to the world, exhausting its unknowns. All members of the LDO view Mercurius with scorn, as his hermitic disposition represents everything that their esteemed leader is not. It is through his machination that the city of Suwahara descends into madness in 2006, although he himself refuses to take the stage. For there is but one predetermined finale to any play he would ever decide to take a role in..."- Conjurer (VN translator)



So there you have it!

And also if crunchyroll staff ends up reading this, please consider hiring the guys who translated the source material to do the subs should you get the license to stream this thing. Dies Irae is a complicated and naunced work and I can only trust the dudes who worked over 800 hours on it to do it right.
22200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 7/4/17

Victoryfraud wrote:

Sounds and looks generic.


I assure you as someone who has read the visual novel, the source material, it is anything but generic. It has some of the most naunced and complicated villians in Japanese otaku media (ie: anime. manga, etc). Too bad the anime will likely butcher it.
22200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 7/4/17

LoomyTheBrew wrote:

I've heard great things about this series. Apparently, many fans in Japan consider this one of the best visual novels ever made so that's certainly interesting. It's scheduled for one cour so I'm not sure what to think, seems like a massive VN so if they just adapt some of it and not all of the VN for the first cour, maybe it'll have a chance? I don't know. The creators are highly attached to the anime so maybe it'll convert well, but that isn't always guaranteed it'll be good (look at the Rewrite adaptation).

I've also heard the VN was written in some very thick Japanese so it's hard to translate. So I guess it'll be simplified for the anime adaptation? Who knows.


Pretty much that is the main concern. In particular since some of the routes depend on the lore/characterization of previous routes. And the VN is translated by god tier translators so you should check it out dude!
11814 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 7/4/17
This visual novel has something helping its anime adaptation that only a few other VNs do: A clearly defined and somewhat interesting main character.
65202 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Colorado
Offline
Posted 7/5/17

farispie wrote:


LoomyTheBrew wrote:

I've heard great things about this series. Apparently, many fans in Japan consider this one of the best visual novels ever made so that's certainly interesting. It's scheduled for one cour so I'm not sure what to think, seems like a massive VN so if they just adapt some of it and not all of the VN for the first cour, maybe it'll have a chance? I don't know. The creators are highly attached to the anime so maybe it'll convert well, but that isn't always guaranteed it'll be good (look at the Rewrite adaptation).

I've also heard the VN was written in some very thick Japanese so it's hard to translate. So I guess it'll be simplified for the anime adaptation? Who knows.


Pretty much that is the main concern. In particular since some of the routes depend on the lore/characterization of previous routes. And the VN is translated by god tier translators so you should check it out dude!


Ya I'm expecting a Rewrite quality of adaptation: Do a terrible job of adapting the character routes, but doing a decent job adapting the true end. Ah well, that's how it goes these days, VNs are hard to adapt! You almost need 48 episodes worth of budget and time to do it right and that isn't always the way things can go.

I would love to read it! It's cool that the common route is free on steam, but wasn't it originally 18+? You know me, I hate censorship, so is Denpasoft or Mangagamer selling it as well? If it's on those two I'll happily buy it, unless you can convince me otherwise.
22200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 7/5/17 , edited 7/5/17

LoomyTheBrew wrote:


farispie wrote:


LoomyTheBrew wrote:

I've heard great things about this series. Apparently, many fans in Japan consider this one of the best visual novels ever made so that's certainly interesting. It's scheduled for one cour so I'm not sure what to think, seems like a massive VN so if they just adapt some of it and not all of the VN for the first cour, maybe it'll have a chance? I don't know. The creators are highly attached to the anime so maybe it'll convert well, but that isn't always guaranteed it'll be good (look at the Rewrite adaptation).

I've also heard the VN was written in some very thick Japanese so it's hard to translate. So I guess it'll be simplified for the anime adaptation? Who knows.


Pretty much that is the main concern. In particular since some of the routes depend on the lore/characterization of previous routes. And the VN is translated by god tier translators so you should check it out dude!


Ya I'm expecting a Rewrite quality of adaptation: Do a terrible job of adapting the character routes, but doing a decent job adapting the true end. Ah well, that's how it goes these days, VNs are hard to adapt! You almost need 48 episodes worth of budget and time to do it right and that isn't always the way things can go.

I would love to read it! It's cool that the common route is free on steam, but wasn't it originally 18+? You know me, I hate censorship, so is Denpasoft or Mangagamer selling it as well? If it's on those two I'll happily buy it, unless you can convince me otherwise.



So to answer your question, I would have to go through Dies Irae's release history and how the route order is structured. So, there are four routes in the game- Kasumi, Kei, Marie, and Rea.

Now originally Dies Irae was released in 2007 as Dies Irae Also Zathustra. This version is basically a incomplete version of Dies Irae that had only two of the above routes(Kasumi and Marie) and furthermore incomplete versions of those routes. This version apparently had H-scenes.

I think it was in 2009, but they rereleased Dies Irae, now with the completete version of those routes and they rewrote all the stupid parts out of Also Zathustra.

In 2012 they released Dies Irae with the two additional routes (Kei and Rea), and this version also had H scenes

Finally in 2015 they released Dies Irae Amentes Amentes, which contained all four routes in one game and all these extra scenes/side stories. This is the definitive and complete version of Dies Irae sans that it lacked any H-scenes.

Now, to get the full story, you pretty much need to read Amentes Amentes. People who have read the H-scenes in previous releases assured me that the H-scenes are pretty irrelevant to the story and you don't lose out on not reading them.

So ironically, the English version actually is the best version of Dies Irae b/c it has all the content of Amentes Amentes, *and* later on it will include the H-scenes from previous versions of Dies Irae in a 18+ patch. Like I said, however, you honestly lose absolutely nothing of importance by just reading the steam version right now. It isn't censored, it just lacks those H-scenes.

And now for the confusing part- despite the way Dies Irae was released, the route order you have to read is actually the following :

Kasumi< Kei<Marie<Rea . This route order is absolutely necessary or you pretty much ruin the story for yourself. So the version on steam has the common route for free, and it contains two packages - one containing Marie and Kasumi, the other containing Rea and Kei. So to actually read it in the correct order, you would have to buy both packages.


65202 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Colorado
Offline
Posted 7/6/17

farispie wrote:


LoomyTheBrew wrote:


farispie wrote:


LoomyTheBrew wrote:

I've heard great things about this series. Apparently, many fans in Japan consider this one of the best visual novels ever made so that's certainly interesting. It's scheduled for one cour so I'm not sure what to think, seems like a massive VN so if they just adapt some of it and not all of the VN for the first cour, maybe it'll have a chance? I don't know. The creators are highly attached to the anime so maybe it'll convert well, but that isn't always guaranteed it'll be good (look at the Rewrite adaptation).

I've also heard the VN was written in some very thick Japanese so it's hard to translate. So I guess it'll be simplified for the anime adaptation? Who knows.


Pretty much that is the main concern. In particular since some of the routes depend on the lore/characterization of previous routes. And the VN is translated by god tier translators so you should check it out dude!


Ya I'm expecting a Rewrite quality of adaptation: Do a terrible job of adapting the character routes, but doing a decent job adapting the true end. Ah well, that's how it goes these days, VNs are hard to adapt! You almost need 48 episodes worth of budget and time to do it right and that isn't always the way things can go.

I would love to read it! It's cool that the common route is free on steam, but wasn't it originally 18+? You know me, I hate censorship, so is Denpasoft or Mangagamer selling it as well? If it's on those two I'll happily buy it, unless you can convince me otherwise.



So to answer your question, I would have to go through Dies Irae's release history and how the route order is structured. So, there are four routes in the game- Kasumi, Kei, Marie, and Rea.

Now originally Dies Irae was released in 2007 as Dies Irae Also Zathustra. This version is basically a incomplete version of Dies Irae that had only two of the above routes(Kasumi and Marie) and furthermore incomplete versions of those routes. This version apparently had H-scenes.

I think it was in 2009, but they rereleased Dies Irae, now with the completete version of those routes and they rewrote all the stupid parts out of Also Zathustra.

In 2012 they released Dies Irae with the two additional routes (Kei and Rea), and this version also had H scenes

Finally in 2015 they released Dies Irae Amentes Amentes, which contained all four routes in one game and all these extra scenes/side stories. This is the definitive and complete version of Dies Irae sans that it lacked any H-scenes.

Now, to get the full story, you pretty much need to read Amentes Amentes. People who have read the H-scenes in previous releases assured me that the H-scenes are pretty irrelevant to the story and you don't lose out on not reading them.

So ironically, the English version actually is the best version of Dies Irae b/c it has all the content of Amentes Amentes, *and* later on it will include the H-scenes from previous versions of Dies Irae in a 18+ patch. Like I said, however, you honestly lose absolutely nothing of importance by just reading the steam version right now. It isn't censored, it just lacks those H-scenes.

And now for the confusing part- despite the way Dies Irae was released, the route order you have to read is actually the following :

Kasumi< Kei<Marie<Rea . This route order is absolutely necessary or you pretty much ruin the story for yourself. So the version on steam has the common route for free, and it contains two packages - one containing Marie and Kasumi, the other containing Rea and Kei. So to actually read it in the correct order, you would have to buy both packages.




Gotcha, thank you for this dude! I guess that's good to hear that the H-scenes weren't too relevant and that they're just going to have a patch later to add them in. When I get some more free time I'll play through the common route! How long is the common route would you say?
5863 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / O / Korriban
Offline
Posted 7/6/17
I am excited for this; also, thank you Farispie, for all the information on it!!

I am hoping that, for the OST, they use Dies Irae from at least one Requiem (preferably, Verdi's)...
22200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 7/6/17

LoomyTheBrew wrote:


farispie wrote:


LoomyTheBrew wrote:


farispie wrote:


LoomyTheBrew wrote:

I've heard great things about this series. Apparently, many fans in Japan consider this one of the best visual novels ever made so that's certainly interesting. It's scheduled for one cour so I'm not sure what to think, seems like a massive VN so if they just adapt some of it and not all of the VN for the first cour, maybe it'll have a chance? I don't know. The creators are highly attached to the anime so maybe it'll convert well, but that isn't always guaranteed it'll be good (look at the Rewrite adaptation).

I've also heard the VN was written in some very thick Japanese so it's hard to translate. So I guess it'll be simplified for the anime adaptation? Who knows.


Pretty much that is the main concern. In particular since some of the routes depend on the lore/characterization of previous routes. And the VN is translated by god tier translators so you should check it out dude!


Ya I'm expecting a Rewrite quality of adaptation: Do a terrible job of adapting the character routes, but doing a decent job adapting the true end. Ah well, that's how it goes these days, VNs are hard to adapt! You almost need 48 episodes worth of budget and time to do it right and that isn't always the way things can go.

I would love to read it! It's cool that the common route is free on steam, but wasn't it originally 18+? You know me, I hate censorship, so is Denpasoft or Mangagamer selling it as well? If it's on those two I'll happily buy it, unless you can convince me otherwise.



So to answer your question, I would have to go through Dies Irae's release history and how the route order is structured. So, there are four routes in the game- Kasumi, Kei, Marie, and Rea.

Now originally Dies Irae was released in 2007 as Dies Irae Also Zathustra. This version is basically a incomplete version of Dies Irae that had only two of the above routes(Kasumi and Marie) and furthermore incomplete versions of those routes. This version apparently had H-scenes.

I think it was in 2009, but they rereleased Dies Irae, now with the completete version of those routes and they rewrote all the stupid parts out of Also Zathustra.

In 2012 they released Dies Irae with the two additional routes (Kei and Rea), and this version also had H scenes

Finally in 2015 they released Dies Irae Amentes Amentes, which contained all four routes in one game and all these extra scenes/side stories. This is the definitive and complete version of Dies Irae sans that it lacked any H-scenes.

Now, to get the full story, you pretty much need to read Amentes Amentes. People who have read the H-scenes in previous releases assured me that the H-scenes are pretty irrelevant to the story and you don't lose out on not reading them.

So ironically, the English version actually is the best version of Dies Irae b/c it has all the content of Amentes Amentes, *and* later on it will include the H-scenes from previous versions of Dies Irae in a 18+ patch. Like I said, however, you honestly lose absolutely nothing of importance by just reading the steam version right now. It isn't censored, it just lacks those H-scenes.

And now for the confusing part- despite the way Dies Irae was released, the route order you have to read is actually the following :

Kasumi< Kei<Marie<Rea . This route order is absolutely necessary or you pretty much ruin the story for yourself. So the version on steam has the common route for free, and it contains two packages - one containing Marie and Kasumi, the other containing Rea and Kei. So to actually read it in the correct order, you would have to buy both packages.




Gotcha, thank you for this dude! I guess that's good to hear that the H-scenes weren't too relevant and that they're just going to have a patch later to add them in. When I get some more free time I'll play through the common route! How long is the common route would you say?


So each route is 13 chapters, with the common route taking up 6 chapters (so really each route is 7 chapters long). I think the common route took me about 10ish hours?

I highly recommend following this walkthrough since a) it tells you how to get into each route in the proper order and b) Tells you which side stories you should read after a given route and c) For Rea's route there is an important scene in the epilogue you will miss unless you pick the right choices.

https://gareblogs.wordpress.com/2017/06/01/dies-irae-amantes-amentes-english-walkthrough/
22200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 7/6/17

Lord_Jordan wrote:

I am excited for this; also, thank you Farispie, for all the information on it!!

I am hoping that, for the OST, they use Dies Irae from at least one Requiem (preferably, Verdi's)...


That would be pretty cool, but it is likely they will just use the OST from the visual novel(which mind you does have great tracks like this):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCK_v9n2O_0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIeOOmAmtTk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_-FWyR53Xo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XK5-DiAgs8Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-Qj-ybSpMY
22200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 7/6/17

octorockandroll wrote:

This visual novel has something helping its anime adaptation that only a few other VNs do: A clearly defined and somewhat interesting main character.


I actually think while the Ren, the main character of Dies Irae, is interesting, it is its villains that are the real star of the show.
5863 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / O / Korriban
Offline
Posted 7/6/17 , edited 7/6/17


Oh, well, at least Mozart's Dies Irae is one of them, and hopefully makes it to the anime!! (The first link you gave*)
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.