First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply Barley Tea, a.k.a. 麦茶 [mugicha]
46231 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / 地球
Offline
Posted 4/24/15 , edited 5/1/15
Hey folks,

As you may noticed, maybe there is not an anime (aside the ones whose stories aren't developed in Japan) who hasn't showed us the really famous Barley tea or mugicha

This beverage is sadly often mistaken with apple soda or, in some cases, with cola. mugicha, aside green tea and coffee, is the second most famous japanese (and asian) beverage.



One of the reasons of why is famous is that everyone, even small children, can drink it. It has zero calories, no sugar, it has some antioxidants, no caffeine and is a great digestive. It is almost the perfect drink.

Normally you drink it ice cold. Because of that, japanese drink it more often on summer, but is a year round beverage. It comes in big teabags, you get half gallon of water on a jar, put the teabag and leave it on the fridge for 3 hours (I do it before going to bed and leave it all night).



Is one of the biggest "secrets" of japanese ppl to stay thin, 'cus by far they don't drink so much soda or sweetened beverages as westerns. Because of that, many westerns don't get used to green tea or barley tea, we're too accustomed to beverages with great loads of sugar, is really worth to try, and is healthy!

What ya folks thought when you watched on your favorite anime that someone was drinking "that brownish beverage with ice" ? What you thought it was ? (´・ω・`)

Have you ever tried it ?(´・ω・)?
811 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Mexico
Offline
Posted 4/24/15
Yeah I just took a sip this afternoon because when eating I asked for oolongcha but the waitress brought me Mugicha, the moment I took a sip I noticed it and asked her to change it because I don`t really like Mugicha, I think it`s too bitter for me.

I completely prefer Oolongcha ^___^
27230 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 4/24/15 , edited 4/24/15
I drink it all the time, especially at night when I don't want added caffeine. I'm surprised not many people know about it here in the west.

I throw a bag into a big pitcher of water and just leave it in the fridge. If I want it hot, I'll just microwave a cup or pour some into a kettle.


I usually get this kind. The tea bags are large and perfect for pitchers. It's also fairly cheap.
46231 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / 地球
Offline
Posted 4/24/15

Hobu-totonou-kun wrote:

Yeah I just took a sip this afternoon because when eating I asked for oolongcha but the waitress brought me Mugicha, the moment I took a sip I noticed it and asked her to change it because I don`t really like Mugicha, I think it`s too bitter for me.

I completely prefer Oolongcha ^___^


Oh I love Oolongcha, it doesn't have sugar either, but it does have caffeine as green tea. So it cannot be drink as much as water or mugicha.

But is awesome, no doubt. (´・ω・)b
46231 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / 地球
Offline
Posted 4/24/15

Morbidhanson wrote:

I drink it all the time, especially at night when I don't want added caffeine. I'm surprised not many people know about it here in the west.

I throw a bag into a big pitcher of water and just leave it in the fridge. If I want it hot, I'll just microwave a cup or pour some into a kettle.


I usually get this kind. The tea bags are large and perfect for pitchers. It's also fairly cheap.


Oh it is amazingly cheap, one glass its like 0.20 USD. It is a great beverage imo. :3
51966 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / US
Offline
Posted 4/24/15
Yeah, it's so good ! But you can only find it at 99 ranch n other asian markets~ I love it so much though, I didn' know it was healthy, too though!
Posted 4/24/15
I have it at home and brew it myself. I love ice cold mugicha.
18054 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
U.S.
Offline
Posted 4/24/15
How much tea is too much?


Are the tea cans they sell on gas stations legit and beneficial?
46231 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / 地球
Offline
Posted 4/24/15

jakari wrote:

Yeah, it's so good ! But you can only find it at 99 ranch n other asian markets~ I love it so much though,


Yah normally it is sold at asian markets, it is really worth it. :3


I didn' know it was healthy, too though!


Well another good reason to keep loving it, isn't it. (´・ω・)ノ
46231 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / 地球
Offline
Posted 4/24/15

_MissTake_ wrote:

I have it at home and brew it myself. I love ice cold mugicha.


I do it myself, normally I'm the only at my home who drinks it, it is cool, more fer me. :3
46231 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / 地球
Offline
Posted 4/24/15

onibrotonel wrote:

How much tea is too much?


With barley tea you can drink as much as you want, is like drinking normal water but with benefits.


Are the tea cans they sell on gas stations legit and beneficial?


If its barley tea without sugar and made by a known brand (japanese or asian) it is legit. The main issue is that sometimes to be sold in the western market many brands add sugar. In that case, in my opinion, is a big no no.

51966 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / US
Offline
Posted 4/24/15 , edited 4/24/15

I didn' know it was healthy, too though!


Well another good reason to keep loving it, isn't it. (´・ω・)ノ

I heard that barley tea is the basic tea they give you at asian restaurants where you get free tea, like when they give you a pot of tea at Chinese places or they used to do it at some Pho places when I was little, too. Is it true =o?
46231 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / 地球
Offline
Posted 4/24/15 , edited 4/24/15

jakari wrote:

I heard that barley tea is the basic tea they give you at asian restaurants where you get free tea, like when they give you a pot of tea at Chinese places or they used to do it at some Pho places when I was little, too. Is it true =o?


Although barley tea is extremely common in Asia and you can drink it as much as water is not free as giving ya tap water. So many places don't give free tea as much as we wanted to. But it is cheap enough that maybe many customers don't bother to receive it and be charged with like 78 Yens (0.65 USD).

On chinese restaurants is common to receive jasmine tea instead of barley tea. But then again, it depends on the management decision to promote such place. (´・ω・)
22068 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / UK
Offline
Posted 4/24/15
I've always got a container in the fridge door, even when the weather is cold, and living in the UK, it's often cold!

I've never been a huge tapwater fan (the area we're living in now isn't too bad taste wise, although it's still got a faint chlorinated flavour) but I can down a glass of mugicha in seconds and go back for more.

I remember searching health food shops for it in the 80's, but thankfully it's a lot easier to get hold of these days. Mind you, so is anime.
46231 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / 地球
Offline
Posted 4/24/15

eleridragon wrote:

I've always got a container in the fridge door, even when the weather is cold, and living in the UK, it's often cold!

I've never been a huge tapwater fan (the area we're living in now isn't too bad taste wise, although it's still got a faint chlorinated flavour) but I can down a glass of mugicha in seconds and go back for more.

I remember searching health food shops for it in the 80's, but thankfully it's a lot easier to get hold of these days. Mind you, so is anime.


I am thankful for that, mhm. :3

And yeah, many japanese do prefer mugicha instead of tap water, although they keep drinking water, green tea, or sugarless coffee.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.