First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply Bisexuality
1329 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / NY
Offline
Posted 4/25/15 , edited 4/25/15
I want to know what your opinion on bisexuality is since I've seen a lot of biphobia in the gay community (and in general). I identify as a bisexual but with a very strong preference in girls (and tend to only go for them)... that being said, it's really rare that I am attracted to guys/want to date a guy but it can still happen for me nonetheless. I've had many people say that I'm actually a lesbian that "isn't out" yet but I know what I am... it's very annoying to have others think they know you better than you know yourself (especially when it comes to something like sexuality).

My point is that bisexual erasure seems to very common? Anyway I wanted to see what your opinions are. I know many people in the gay community think that bisexuals can't "make up their mind" and it's "not a really thing" or "bisexuals are just people who want to experiment"... or "it's a trend" which is dumb.. and ignorant.. why would anyone want to be in a marginalized group for like that truly doesn't make sense

but w/e
Dahrc 
16474 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Sootopolis City
Offline
Posted 4/25/15
I honestly didn't know that it was frowned upon in the gay community. Well, as a gay man myself, I don't care what your sexuality is. By the end we're all playing Mario Golf and watching Invader Zim right
4458 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
n/a
Offline
Posted 4/25/15 , edited 4/25/15
The reason bisexuals are frowned upon in the gay community is because they tend to be your average flakes and that's why they ain't taken seriously. Honestly I can see where that mind set against bi people come from, if some one I was with all of a sudden prefer the other sex I would think they are a flake too.

With that said I actually know some one who displays bisexual tendencies but identify as lesbian LOL she is currently dating a man but was with a woman and the funny thing is she would go around and tell everyone she was lesbian when she was with the woman but when she is with the guy she doesn't come out and say she's straight or bisexual.

Also many woman who ARE flakes or experimenting tend to call themselves bisexual even if they are not, hence the negative views of them

I heard on a documentary that bisexuality is a real category but for one to be consider bisexual you have to constantly switch from being with one gender to the other, not just once but regularly... so something to think about
Posted 4/25/15
I don't have too much of an opinion on it. I'm not bisexual so it isn't something that concerns me. I do think that some people, mainly girls it seems, do claim it as more of a popularity thing. I do think bisexuality is real though for most that claim it. In the end though I don't care. Like I said I am not bisexual and other people's sexuality is none of my business.
1329 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / NY
Offline
Posted 4/25/15

proxydata wrote:
I heard on a documentary that bisexuality is a real category but for one to be consider bisexual you have to constantly switch from being with one gender to the other, not just once but regularly... so something to think about


Sexuality isn't black and white and there are various levels of it... you could be bisexual with a stronger hetero-preference and vice versa. Lmao "real bisexuality" I'm yelping
5447 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
54 / M / Tacoma, WA. wind...
Offline
Posted 4/25/15
Like most people I have talked to, my ideas about the LGBT community have been changing. I used to think "just make up your mind". I even read some relationship books that echoed that same sentiment, concerning Bi people. I do not think like that anymore.

As I get older and see more, I find the biggest thing for you is to be yourself and me to me myself. A lot of people now days just seem to have this disease, "run others down to make yourself feel good," and it doesn't seem to matter who or what they are. Being genuine is getting to be a harder thing lately and being a hypocrite seems easier.

I used to know a woman who was bi and unless someone-else brought it up, I never thought of her as anything but one of my friends I worked with. That is one of the things that has changed my thinking about these things.

Dealing with many people, most of them my relatives, over the years, I tried to conform, I found it to be a total waste of time. Their opinion really only mattered to them and even if you would go out of way to placate them they would still complain about it. You could give them $1000 and they would bitch because it happened to be in $5 and $1 bills. If they counted and came up two bucks short they'd call you a liar and any other manner of crap they could think up.

I think I may be rambling.....

49109 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/26/15 , edited 4/26/15
I first encountered this type of parochialism with my daughter's ex-partner.She felt that it was a sellout/copout and an affront to her lesbian sensitivities when one of their "lesbian" friends came out as bisexual.I was surprised and dismayed at both the venom and the lack of empathy that her rather loud 4 letter word rants contained. It just amazed me that someone I listened to on many occasions waxing poetic about the indignities that society had heaped upon her because of her sexuality had no problem victimizing someone else on the same grounds.I personally don't care who you want to be with or what you sleep with as long as it's not children.Nothing runs like a .....
Posted 4/26/15
I think it's sad that there is such prejudice against bisexuals. Sexuality can't be categorised, it's a fluid thing like gender. There are no "true sexualities", the concept is ridiculous. It honestly does not matter who you have preferences for, how you identify yourself or your sexuality. As long as you don't violate another person's rights (sexual assault, children etc) then no one can tell you what to do with your romantic relationships.

I don't see why people have to nosy in people's business. I don't understand what it has to do with them in the first place. *shrug*

49109 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/26/15

miirriie wrote:

I think it's sad that there is such prejudice against bisexuals. Sexuality can't be categorised, it's a fluid thing like gender. There are no "true sexualities", the concept is ridiculous. It honestly does not matter who you have preferences for, how you identify yourself or your sexuality. As long as you don't violate another person's rights (sexual assault, children etc) then no one can tell you what to do with your romantic relationships.

I don't see why people have to nosy in people's business. I don't understand what it has to do with them in the first place. *shrug*



My thoughts exactly.
15259 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 4/26/15
Meh, if you like guys and girls go for it.
4079 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Hungary
Offline
Posted 4/26/15
Hm.. I think bisexuality is not a problem unless you're bisexual just because you want attention from everyone around you. I used to (and probably still) look down at ( some) gays, but not because their sexual ideal, insted because they're protesting for their rights in the media - like TV and such. I don't think anyone would mind your sexual preferences if you wouldn't go out to the strrets and shout you're gay every second day. I don't go out to the streets shouting that I'm straight, so why would anyone do that? It's your personal life, for god's sake.

The thing is, everyone should have a personal ideal, but don't try to force your ideals on anyone else
If you are happy as you are now and you have friends and/or partners who understand your way of thinking then you shouldn't bother with the haters, because they'll still try to force their opinions to you no matter what you say to them.
Posted 4/26/15 , edited 4/26/15

L3WY wrote:

Hm.. I think bisexuality is not a problem unless you're bisexual just because you want attention from everyone around you. I used to (and probably still) look down at ( some) gays, but not because their sexual ideal, insted because they're protesting for their rights in the media - like TV and such. I don't think anyone would mind your sexual preferences if you wouldn't go out to the strrets and shout you're gay every second day. I don't go out to the streets shouting that I'm straight, so why would anyone do that? It's your personal life, for god's sake.

The thing is, everyone should have a personal ideal, but don't try to force your ideals on anyone else
If you are happy as you are now and you have friends and/or partners who understand your way of thinking then you shouldn't bother with the haters, because they'll still try to force their opinions to you no matter what you say to them.


The LGBT community have to vocalise their preferences, how else are they going to get their rights? Sitting in silence won't change anything. The African-American community didn't obtain rights by sitting on their hands. As heterosexuals we don't need to vocalise our sexuality because we aren't discriminated against. You have no right to look down on others for fighting for equality in the world.

Edit: Historically, the homosexual community did stay silent about their sexuality and they were still discriminated against. People who are homophobic don't care if you're silent or vocal, they will still act out and punish those for not being heterosexual. If shouting you're gay out on the street is what will let them get married, adopt children, have families and equal rights then good on them.
17394 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Michigan
Offline
Posted 4/26/15
Love is love, male or female.

<3
4079 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Hungary
Offline
Posted 4/26/15

miirriie wrote:


L3WY wrote:

Hm.. I think bisexuality is not a problem unless you're bisexual just because you want attention from everyone around you. I used to (and probably still) look down at ( some) gays, but not because their sexual ideal, insted because they're protesting for their rights in the media - like TV and such. I don't think anyone would mind your sexual preferences if you wouldn't go out to the strrets and shout you're gay every second day. I don't go out to the streets shouting that I'm straight, so why would anyone do that? It's your personal life, for god's sake.

The thing is, everyone should have a personal ideal, but don't try to force your ideals on anyone else
If you are happy as you are now and you have friends and/or partners who understand your way of thinking then you shouldn't bother with the haters, because they'll still try to force their opinions to you no matter what you say to them.


The LGBT community have to vocalise their preferences, how else are they going to get their rights? Sitting in silence won't change anything. The African-American community didn't obtain rights by sitting on their hands. As heterosexuals we don't need to vocalise our sexuality because we aren't discriminated against. You have no right to look down on others for fighting for equality in the world.



I don't know about your country, I was just talking about around me. You are right, yet you aren't.
As I didn't mention a lot of thing - that I should have, in our country gay marrige is somewhat accepted and I know about skme gays around me. The thing that bugs me is that they are showing off what they are insted of living their life as they should. And I'm not looking down on gays who mind their business and doesn't bother anyone by trying to force their ideals onto people.
That is my opinion about gays, so I'm not asking any of you to accept or understand it. OP just asked for opinions and this was mine.

Hope you'll have a nice day.
3057 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
The 2D World
Offline
Posted 4/26/15
Does this matter really? Does someone's sexuality really have to matter to be friends with them or talk with them? At the end of the day unless they're trying to make you into something you don't want to be it doesn't look like it matters to me. In the end you're still talking with them and don't hate them right? Hating people because of something as stupid as this is like before when segregation was a thing and people were hated and discriminated against because they were of different skin color. Unless you're just pretending for attention and to be noticed why don't you just stay the same. If a person is your friend they won't change because of something like that. The keyboard warriors that tell you crap are just keyboard warriors. Cant really do much unless words from a complete stranger online make you offended.

Tl;dr there's nothing wrong with being bi. If that's a person's preference leave them be.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.