First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply When You Learn Something That Makes You Feel Dumb
6506 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 4/26/15 , edited 4/26/15
Apologies to anyone who still believes in Santa.

On Easter (not this year), I had a lot of questions and my parents told me the Easter Bunny wasn't real. They put me in the "club." My older brother was also in this "club"

That Easter, I went to him to brag "I'm in the club now." He said "What, the Santa club?'

EDIT: I should mention I cried the rest of the day

I honestly believed Neil Young was a studio guitarist for the Monkees for a long time before I found out it was a joke a good friend played on me.

I had spread this misinformation after it was given to me. I try to tell everyone that I was duped as a joke, but it's hard to bring it up in the first place.

I just got tagged with "cool story bro" and learned it's from Zoolander? I never knew, I thought it was just heckling.

In both cases, I trusted what I had been told, learned that it wasn't true, and was left with my own branch of misinformation to clear up.

I could have sworn "Cool Story, Bro" was never once funny. I could have sworn Neil Young was always cool, and I thought maybe the Monkees were ok for years while I hated the music.

It's my own fault for thinking I knew, that's how I feel about it.

I can't stop everybody else, and I've never been good at pretending. But this feeling, again.

Shame on me?
17467 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Chicago,IL
Offline
Posted 4/26/15 , edited 4/26/15
Jokes on you?

I'm sure it's happened to me but i just can't remember?
I do remember though.. Talking to someone who insisted they were a girl but were a guy? Does catfishing go into this category? ;P


*Edit on remembering*
Someone told me this girl was into me for about a week. So around the end of that week i went up to talk to her and she completely shut me down. He was fucking with me.
6506 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 4/26/15 , edited 4/26/15

MrChamploo wrote:

Jokes on you?

I'm sure it's happened to me but i just can't remember?
I do remember though.. Talking to someone who insisted they were a girl but were a guy? Does catfishing go into this category? ;P


*Edit on remembering*
Someone told me this girl was into me for about a week. So around the end of that week i went up to talk to her and she completely shut me down. He was fucking with me.


Yes and yes.

The joke's on us, my dude.

Why on earth does anybody think it's a joke?
Posted 4/26/15 , edited 4/26/15
lol, my parents either didn't believe in much of anything or they never talked about it. I do remember asking them questions, but they'd tell me not to bother with 'those" xD

Now, if there's something i don't get, i question its significance and most of the times just look past it because trivia doesn't interest me.
6506 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 4/26/15

severticas wrote:

lol, my parents either didn't believe in much of anything or they never talked about it. I do remember asking them questions, but they'd tell me not to bother with 'those" xD

Now, if there's something i don't get, i question its significance and most of the times just look past it because trivia doesn't interest me.


Haha, trivial doesn't begin to describe it.

If it's trivia, why give out misinformation? My mom has been arguing with my brother because she thinks he should convert to Catholicism since his 3 month old baby daughter will be raised Catholic.

My mom is not Catholic, but she still thinks my brother should convert for his daughter's sake. My brother says his wife will handle it.

It seems trivial to me, but I guess what if I can't fake it as an uncle later? I kind of already know I won't fake it.
Posted 4/26/15

morechunch wrote:


severticas wrote:

lol, my parents either didn't believe in much of anything or they never talked about it. I do remember asking them questions, but they'd tell me not to bother with 'those" xD

Now, if there's something i don't get, i question its significance and most of the times just look past it because trivia doesn't interest me.


Haha, trivial doesn't begin to describe it.

If it's trivia, why give out misinformation? My mom has been arguing with my brother because she thinks he should convert to Catholicism since his 3 month old baby daughter will be raised Catholic.

My mom is not Catholic, but she still thinks my brother should convert for his daughter's sake. My brother says his wife will handle it.

It seems trivial to me, but I guess what if I can't fake it as an uncle later? I kind of already know I won't fake it.


lol, nice family you have there. When people think of whats best for you and it's your mom, you might as well do it. Chances are she might be on to something lol
6506 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 4/26/15 , edited 4/26/15

severticas wrote:

lol, nice family you have there. When people think of whats best for you and it's your mom, you might as well do it. Chances are she might be on to something lol


Yeah, that's what my mom keeps telling everybody.

But she also has almost no concept of atheism, believes her dreams are real, sees ghosts, thinks that when she tries to wirelessly print something from her laptop and it takes an hour it has nothing to do with her printer, the information just missed and bounced around her house for an hour before it hit the right spot,

I'm not saying she's always wrong, but she's not the kind of lady who can answer questions. And I grew up knowing better than to ask questions because of it, which has honestly paid off in ways, but made me feel dumb a lot of times. I also thought Kool-Aid was too expensive to buy, because that's how it was. It was middle school before I felt dumb about that one and shortly after she never liked that friend of mine again. I was worried he was mixing it wrong and he was just like "dude, it's Kool-Aid."
Posted 4/26/15 , edited 4/26/15

morechunch wrote:

Yeah, that's what my mom keeps telling everybody.

But she also has almost no concept of atheism, believes her dreams are real, sees ghosts, thinks that when she tries to wirelessly print something from her laptop and it takes an hour it has nothing to do with her printer, the information just missed and bounced around her house for an hour before it hit the right spot,

I'm not saying she's always wrong, but she's not the kind of lady who can answer questions. And I grew up knowing better than to ask questions because of it, which has honestly paid off in ways, but made me feel dumb a lot of times. I also thought Kool-Aid was too expensive to buy, because that's how it was. It was middle school before I felt dumb about that one and shortly after she never liked that friend of mine again. I was worried he was mixing it wrong and he was just like "dude, it's Kool-Aid."


Ah, well. If you can't win against her, it's as you say, ignore her.

Both my grandmother and mother were very shrewd and they'd have provisions in place, in case it all goes to shit lol. For example, your brother's wife might seem to call all the shots...
6506 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 4/26/15

severticas wrote:


morechunch wrote:

Yeah, that's what my mom keeps telling everybody.

But she also has almost no concept of atheism, believes her dreams are real, sees ghosts, thinks that when she tries to wirelessly print something from her laptop and it takes an hour it has nothing to do with her printer, the information just missed and bounced around her house for an hour before it hit the right spot,

I'm not saying she's always wrong, but she's not the kind of lady who can answer questions. And I grew up knowing better than to ask questions because of it, which has honestly paid off in ways, but made me feel dumb a lot of times. I also thought Kool-Aid was too expensive to buy, because that's how it was. It was middle school before I felt dumb about that one and shortly after she never liked that friend of mine again. I was worried he was mixing it wrong and he was just like "dude, it's Kool-Aid."


Ah, well. If you can't win against her, it's as you say, ignore her.

Both my grandmother and mother were very shrewd and they'd have provisions in place, in case it all goes to shit lol


Haha, good on them. My mother has provisions in place as well, she doesn't like my brother's wife and since 3 weeks has been trying to "straghten out" the baby.

But she's a good tiger mom, should have always been a grandma I think.

This is getting away from where I've felt dumb and more into "Hey my mom is crazy and I'm not that worried about it anymore" territory.
Posted 4/26/15

morechunch wrote:



Haha, good on them. My mother has provisions in place as well, she doesn't like my brother's wife and since 3 weeks has been trying to "straghten out" the baby.

But she's a good tiger mom, should have always been a grandma I think.

This is getting away from where I've felt dumb and more into "Hey my mom is crazy and I'm not that worried about it anymore" territory.


Haha, yes. It is moving away from the purpose of thread. I'm not really sure what Kool-Aid is i'm afraid. I've heard of it but only on the internet where it was mentioned in a joke of some sort.

I don't really talk about my family so it's been a pleasure all the same.
49109 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/26/15
CR threads are really tame compared to some I've been on.I've never met anybody yet that was omniscient ,and I certainly wouldn't fall in that category.Misunderstandings are going to happen. I haven't listened to Neil Young since his Harvest album came out.
Sogno- 
45756 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/26/15
the people of Spain are called "Spaniards" and not "Spanish"

was trying to convince my friend that the people of Spain are not called Hispanic and she didn't believe me and it turns out we were both wrong

talk about feeling dumb... and ignorant
2841 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Houston, Tx
Offline
Posted 4/26/15
Africa is not a Country?

It's a continent..
Posted 4/26/15
I don't know if this quite falls into this category or not but a friend of mine convinced another younger friend of his once that there was a place in a game, that wasn't really there and the poor guy looked for about 2 weeks to find it before he was let in on the joke and he's quite embarrassed about it.

It's just human nature we're easily fooled into thinking something is or isn't by people including our own selves at times.
238 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / (●´ω`●)
Offline
Posted 4/26/15
I think something I found out that made me feel dumb was;
For some reason I thought Bruno Mars was dead.
And then on the radio they were announcing a chance to win tickets to meet him.
I was shocked and told my friends "Hes not dead?"
And they all asked how could I think that.
Felt dumb and sad.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.