First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Fan Service a deal breaker?
14361 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Shortbread Land
Offline
Posted 4/27/15


The fact is everyone will have different levels of tolerance when it comes to aspects like this, some are going to like it a lot while others wont like it at all. Same applies to other genres like shounen's, some like lot's of fighting while others prefer less. Unfortunately some people are super conceited and state their personal tastes as facts and argue that if you disagree you are wrong. Ultimately if you enjoy something good for you, if you dislike it that's all cool too. We should all try to respect each others tastes and try not to state opinions like they are facts.
4169 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / NH
Offline
Posted 4/27/15 , edited 4/27/15
The worst is fanservice that is insulting to the viewer. When a show uses it to the point where it's basically saying "You're a simple minded guy and therefore we can get you to watch our show by making every character have super lusty proportions."
32462 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / M
Online
Posted 4/27/15 , edited 4/27/15

mnmike wrote:
That being said, there was one show I stopped watching because of the fan-service: Freezing. Or, perhaps more to the point, I was completely turned off by the integration of fan-service and violence. The violence wasn't simply "absurdly ripping clothes off in the middle of a fight so that we can watch naked girls running around" (as in Sekerie or High School DxD)--I can handle that. But in Freezing the violence was itself sexualized: from the rape attempt early in the first season, to the constant "look boobs! Ooo, she just got dismembered! Look, dismembered girl's boobs!" that seemed to characterize most of the fight scenes.


I completely agree on Freezing. And, if you have read the manga, the fan service in the anime can end up being that much more disgusting because you have more of the character backgrounds. Satellizer has a VERY good reason she does not like to be touched and prefers to be fully covered, Other characters have backgrounds that make you realize what a sick and twisted world Freezing is set in.

Edit: As to fan service in general, it can depend on the show. I like to use Infinite Stratos as an example. The first season was OK and there was progress in the characters. Yes, there was fan service, but there was also story and character development. The second season decided to throw that out the window for most of the season. The same goes for Maken-Ki. Similar to IS in lots of fan service but also had story develpoment. The second season might as well have been one long series of OVAs that had no actual story to them.
54918 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 4/27/15
I agree when done by other studios fan service is just that fan service but when you get Shaft involve it becomes art.
11678 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 4/27/15
Shows can be good despite fanservice, but whenever I see someone on this site praise a series by talking about how much they like the "ecchi" I just shake my head at how people can have such terrible taste. Honestly the fact that they just put in a bunch of that stuff in so many anime is weird to me, like. If you want sexy girls then just google porn for god's sake, don't just throw it into a series that's not about sex like it's seasoning or something. It's gross.

That said, Kill la Kill is a really good anime. But it's also fucking trash.
14990 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Norway
Offline
Posted 4/27/15

sporkaganza wrote:

Shows can be good despite fanservice, but whenever I see someone on this site praise a series by talking about how much they like the "ecchi" I just shake my head at how people can have such terrible taste. Honestly the fact that they just put in a bunch of that stuff in so many anime is weird to me, like. If you want sexy girls then just google porn for god's sake, don't just throw it into a series that's not about sex like it's seasoning or something. It's gross.

That said, Kill la Kill is a really good anime. But it's also fucking trash.


Well, a lot of people are turned off by a setting that is supposed to arouse them.
6399 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / The Abyss of Time
Offline
Posted 4/27/15
It won't make or break a series though it can be an annoyance for me, especially fetish type.
119633 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 4/27/15

TomCraft wrote:

Yep. I used to watch Fairy tail, but then when I saw the amount of fan service I stopped. Not only did the story suck, the amount of fan service was disgusting. It was taking itself to seriously and didn't care what the fans wanted as long as it sold well.

Fuck you FT you piece of fucking shit


I hate fan service and I like Fairy Tail. Your tolerance for it must be really for fan service since it has a normal amount for shonen.

5156 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / United States
Offline
Posted 4/27/15
Too much fan service is definitely a deal breaker for me. If it is done in a restrained or minimal way I will be able to tolerate it.
1931 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/27/15

crunchynaruto321 wrote:


TomCraft wrote:

Yep. I used to watch Fairy tail, but then when I saw the amount of fan service I stopped. Not only did the story suck, the amount of fan service was disgusting. It was taking itself to seriously and didn't care what the fans wanted as long as it sold well.

Fuck you FT you piece of fucking shit


I hate fan service and I like Fairy Tail. Your tolerance for it must be really for fan service since it has a normal amount for shonen.



Normal? What kinda shows are you watching? Have you read the manga? and isn't Fairy tail and ecchi anime?
14990 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Norway
Offline
Posted 4/27/15

dark_ghost wrote:

I agree when done by other studios fan service is just that fan service but when you get Shaft involve it becomes art.


Exactly.
Shaft welcomes the fanservice and embraces it. They perfectly display how it can take a natural place in a story without disrupting the flow, and rather increases the quality with the addition of it in an artfull matter.

While (many) other studios just throws it in there for the extra money and making up for (ruining) the shitty plot.
119633 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 4/27/15

TomCraft wrote:


crunchynaruto321 wrote:


TomCraft wrote:

Yep. I used to watch Fairy tail, but then when I saw the amount of fan service I stopped. Not only did the story suck, the amount of fan service was disgusting. It was taking itself to seriously and didn't care what the fans wanted as long as it sold well.

Fuck you FT you piece of fucking shit


I hate fan service and I like Fairy Tail. Your tolerance for it must be really for fan service since it has a normal amount for shonen.



Normal? What kinda shows are you watching? Have you read the manga? and isn't Fairy tail and ecchi anime?

I do read the manga and am on the latest chapter. It is actually shonen. I don't know if you know this but all shonen has fan service. They have it because it's meant for guys/teen males.
11851 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/27/15

TomCraft wrote:

It was taking itself to seriously and didn't care what the fans wanted as long as it sold well.



Umm doesn't that mean the fans wanted fan services?
31636 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / BAYSIDE,NY
Offline
Posted 4/27/15
well in my case , as long as the anime or manga is good, i dont care abut the fan service... THE PLOT lol..
78222 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Louisiana
Offline
Posted 4/27/15
I feel like kill la kill is mostly funny fanservice so its not a big deal. It's when they're doing blatant panty shots and what not that it kinda puts me off.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.