First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply Does anybody feel like this or not?
42495 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Online
Posted 4/28/15

Amaya- wrote:

Its easier to write something than it is to read about something? Perhaps it is because you cannot read the writer's mind or perhaps know what inspired them to write the piece. Sometimes that is relevant to understand the work, knowing the time and place the writer lived in is an important detail in analysing literature. Even if you were a historian and knew everything about her/him you're different people so your work will always be more understandable to you.

My advice may or may not help but you should find a relaxing place to be able to think better and then, slow down and take your time with it. If you feel you're losing your concentration, maybe its time to place a bookmark and stop, then come back to it another day.


At times, I have trouble using the right words to describe something when its not a matter of knowing the vocabulary, but not cutting corners and being too practical.


Thank you. I just wish my imaginations worked when I read because my mind is cluttered with other things. I love how they make my story come to life even though I did no writing.
42495 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Online
Posted 4/28/15

harutoharuta wrote:

Try writing poetry or lyrics. Searching for words that rhyme can expand your vocabulary.

Depending on who you listen to, music can really help. Listen to someone who spits knowledge lol. I've picked up words that way.

Authors always recommend nonstop reading, but depending on your issue, reading might not have to be your main focus. Reading manga and comics may not be the best way to expand your vocabulary, but it gives you a visual that you don't have to imagine. Really, anything with a script can help you. If visualizing is an issue, watch more movies, tv shows, anime, whatever. While you're watching, try to describe what you see, just as practice for when you try to describe the characters and scenes of your own work.

I draw so I've never really written in a novel form, more of a script form, but I'm sure all writers have the same issues when it comes to their work. Hope I could help.


What about audio books?
42495 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Online
Posted 4/28/15

orange-chan wrote:

i kinda have that same problem you are having but it depends on what books i am reading. If im reading a well known popular book series such as hunger games for example, when they get to the part where they describe the damage or rubble or idk i'll get confused halfway and stuff. I kinda have that same problem with writing but at the same time i dont? It just depends on what mood im in really.


Majority of it is just your mood?
10330 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 4/28/15

qualeshia3 wrote:

What about audio books?


I've never tried it and I don't know anyone who has, so I can't say. Sorry :/
42495 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Online
Posted 4/28/15

harutoharuta wrote:


qualeshia3 wrote:

What about audio books?


I've never tried it and I don't know anyone who has, so I can't say. Sorry :/


It's okay.
2551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / space
Offline
Posted 4/28/15

qualeshia3 wrote:


orange-chan wrote:

i kinda have that same problem you are having but it depends on what books i am reading. If im reading a well known popular book series such as hunger games for example, when they get to the part where they describe the damage or rubble or idk i'll get confused halfway and stuff. I kinda have that same problem with writing but at the same time i dont? It just depends on what mood im in really.


Majority of it is just your mood?


yeha it depends on how im doin right now
42495 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Online
Posted 4/28/15 , edited 4/28/15



Okay. I see now.
41715 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 4/28/15
I have a visualization problem, I can visualize everything but when it comes to physically writing it, it takes me a while for my hands and my intellect to catch up with my visualization, ergo writers block ensues
6674 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F / You don't need to...
Offline
Posted 4/28/15
I suck at drawing, but I'm a very good writer. My problem is my imagination is so big that I get too many ideas for novels. Then I start writing 1, then 3, and then it turns into some big number and I constantly quit writing them. I come up with new ideas every day and it bothers me because I especially lack time to write. Just listening to a song (or anything since I'm a good observer) gives me an idea for a story; it gets annoying sometimes. So sometimes I try to move them into my dreams but I've only been able to do that a few times. Right now I'm writing 4, and I was just thinking about getting rid of one.
5449 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
54 / M / Tacoma, WA. wind...
Offline
Posted 4/28/15
The thing I have run into from most of the authors that I have read and interviews they have done is pretty straightforward... Write A LOT and read A LOT. If you practice, you get better.

One thing I have found that is helpful is watching some shows like "Well Read" on PBS There was another show on PBS that was helpful too but I cannot remember it's name.... It hasn't been on for a while. The authors they interview will sometimes get into why and how they have written their books with pretty deep detail and if you can understand their thought process, you might have a template for your own ideas. If you understand their thinking about how they set up their worlds in their books you also might find it easier to visualize what you are reading.

I was kind of lucky, when I was kid I had people that would read o me quite a bit . . . that being said, I would think that audio books would be another way to "digest" some more books.
42495 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Online
Posted 4/28/15

animegirl2222 wrote:

I have a visualization problem, I can visualize everything but when it comes to physically writing it, it takes me a while for my hands and my intellect to catch up with my visualization, ergo writers block ensues


Holy shit! That is somewhat like me!
42495 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Online
Posted 4/28/15

MoxiRoxi wrote:

I suck at drawing, but I'm a very good writer. My problem is my imagination is so big that I get too many ideas for novels. Then I start writing 1, then 3, and then it turns into some big number and I constantly quit writing them. I come up with new ideas every day and it bothers me because I especially lack time to write. Just listening to a song (or anything since I'm a good observer) gives me an idea for a story; it gets annoying sometimes. So sometimes I try to move them into my dreams but I've only been able to do that a few times. Right now I'm writing 4, and I was just thinking about getting rid of one.


When I write I could never stick to one plot and keep coming up with ideas for different stories. I feel your pain.
42495 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Online
Posted 4/28/15

GrateSaiyaman wrote:

The thing I have run into from most of the authors that I have read and interviews they have done is pretty straightforward... Write A LOT and read A LOT. If you practice, you get better.

One thing I have found that is helpful is watching some shows like "Well Read" on PBS There was another show on PBS that was helpful too but I cannot remember it's name.... It hasn't been on for a while. The authors they interview will sometimes get into why and how they have written their books with pretty deep detail and if you can understand their thought process, you might have a template for your own ideas. If you understand their thinking about how they set up their worlds in their books you also might find it easier to visualize what you are reading.

I was kind of lucky, when I was kid I had people that would read o me quite a bit . . . that being said, I would think that audio books would be another way to "digest" some more books.


I'm going into audio books. The problem is that I will need to save money.
2551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / space
Offline
Posted 4/30/15

qualeshia3 wrote:




Okay. I see now.


what do you see?
42495 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Online
Posted 4/30/15



About your mood.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.