First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply How important is freedom to you?
8345 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 4/30/15
You have no freedom. I have been controlling you from the shadows for years now...
Omni42 
4557 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 4/30/15
Well we have an issue with too much economic freedom in my country (New Zealand) ATM. Houses in or around major cities are becoming completely unaffordable for the majority of people, especially younger people looking into buying their first home. House prices keep going up, which results in investors buying houses, which makes house prices rise as people simply looking for a home to live in are competing with investors to whom the house is worth more because house prices keep going up, and of course the investors have deeper pockets than regular folks. There was a recent example of a house earning over $1000 a day for 6 months, not because of improvements made to it, it was untouched, and not because someone was renting it, it was empty. In fact, it's basically more economically sound to keep the house empty because then you don't have to do maintenance and don't have to take the risk that the tenants may damage it beyond their deposit's worth and you make more money by sitting on it than you would from the rent. It's ridiculous. The government's solution? Build more houses! (which will of course be sold to investors...) Give first-home buyers subsidies! (except that now you've just made the investors who can afford it pay more to buy the house, driving prices higher...)

Sorry about the run-on sentences, couldn't really express the problem without them.
49109 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/30/15 , edited 4/30/15
Many governments allow you the Freedom of choice,or is it an offer you can't refuse.Biology ,up until recently, has been the arbiter of most people's freedom.
35033 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 4/30/15

Amaya- wrote:

The more one thirsts for freedom and anarchy the nuttier it begins to sound, like those morons on Doomsday Preppers. Freedom and Capitalism is very important to me as a person and as an entrepreneur, rather than bitch and rebel maybe you should leave?


"The more one thirsts for freedom and anarchy the nuttier it begins to sound, like those morons in the Pennsylvania Gazette. Freedom and imperialism are very important to me as a person and as a Briton. Rather than bitch and rebel maybe you should leave our colonies?"

Just saying, this can come around full circle.

Anyway, liberal democracies are founded on people complaining when they have complaints, protesting when they feel the need to, and seeking to elicit substantial changes. While it's true that rebellion is out of the question (the US has absolutely no need of it right now, and to have a rebellion in the US would throw things around the globe into chaos), I'm pretty sure the Quaker Oats fellow was speaking tongue in cheek on that point.
14747 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/30/15

Gseckz wrote:

as long as the right to bear arms is not touched im good.



Amaya- wrote:

The more one thirsts for freedom and anarchy the nuttier it begins to sound, like those morons on Doomsday Preppers. Freedom and Capitalism is very important to me as a person and as an entrepreneur, rather than bitch and rebel maybe you should leave?


Case in point, the 2nd amendment was born out of nutty paranoid morons, who thought the minute a united constitution putting a federal government over the colonies was declared, Washington would declare himself king, march his new Federal Army down Main Street, and take the musket rifles away from good peaceful Minutemen.
Despite the fact that trade was nearly at a standstill because there was no national dollar between one state and another, and we were losing the Revolution at the beginning because Washington literally had to ask the nutty backyard state militias if they would be so kind as to help fight the British, and not go home before the big battle because they had some planting to do.
15084 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / So. Cal
Offline
Posted 4/30/15

Under this flag we will live in ultimate freedom!
if you're not free you have only what THEY give you
2135 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Internet
Offline
Posted 4/30/15
Did you say freedom?

Posted 4/30/15 , edited 4/30/15

BlueOni wrote:


Amaya- wrote:

The more one thirsts for freedom and anarchy the nuttier it begins to sound, like those morons on Doomsday Preppers. Freedom and Capitalism is very important to me as a person and as an entrepreneur, rather than bitch and rebel maybe you should leave?


"The more one thirsts for freedom and anarchy the nuttier it begins to sound, like those morons in the Pennsylvania Gazette. Freedom and imperialism are very important to me as a person and as a Briton. Rather than bitch and rebel maybe you should leave our colonies?"

Just saying, this can come around full circle.

Anyway, liberal democracies are founded on people complaining when they have complaints, protesting when they feel the need to, and seeking to elicit substantial changes. While it's true that rebellion is out of the question (the US has absolutely no need of it right now, and to have a rebellion in the US would throw things around the globe into chaos), I'm pretty sure the Quaker Oats fellow was speaking tongue in cheek on that point.


Its about ingratitude, not free speech. Protesters is all good , within reason, but just as many of us business types love and can thrive in a capitalist society. Its not really that bad a country. A lot have advantages america hasn't and lots of drawbacks too.
Posted 4/30/15
I came to the US for the freedom, instead I get cops killing people and kids shooting up schools.
35033 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 4/30/15

Amaya- wrote:

Its about ingratitude, not free speech. Protesters is all good , within reason, but just as many of us business types love and can thrive in a capitalist society. Its not really that bad a country. A lot have advantages america hasn't and lots of drawbacks too.


To be certain we're on the same page I would like you to clarify exactly who you're calling ingrates.
2270 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Southern US
Offline
Posted 4/30/15
Certain freedoms are very important to me, but some things (businesses, for example, or medicine, or food production) should be heavily regulated and controlled. Basically, I value social freedoms, like free speech, sexual/marriage freedoms, and various other personal things. I don't feel that companies should have free reign to do whatever they want.

Laissez-faire economics is nightmarish to me.
16931 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 4/30/15
Damn proud of my country on Economic freedom right now. Rank 161 !!! Not in the bottom 10.

http://www.heritage.org/index/country/burma

Well one of the freedom i really value is freedom for religious expression. Although i am not religious at all, i do think that is one of the right everyone should have. I like Freedom of speech too but they do need to cut back a bit on some of the BS stuffs that freedom of speech allowed in US.
19921 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / A town called "Ci...
Offline
Posted 4/30/15
It's VERY important to me.
49109 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/30/15

Scooty-Bby wrote:

You have no freedom. I have been controlling you from the shadows for years now...
I knew it! Can you send back my letter to Santa Claus from 1959.I think I left off the period.

49109 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/30/15 , edited 5/1/15
Everytime I hear a question like this it reminds me of the line from "Me and Bobby Mcgee".
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.