Post Reply Sound!Euphonium
Polysyllabic Support Lead
50494 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / CR HQ
Offline
Posted 4/29/15 , edited 5/14/15
by battlewaitress

Ah, KyoAni. The studio that brought shows such as The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Hyouka, Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions, Beyond the Boundary, and Free!, is back with its newest brightly colored, lovingly animated show about teenagers, Sound! Euphonium.


Mari Asuka is best girl, etc.

Now, I have no problem admitting outright I'm biased towards KyoAni shows. While some of them are obviously better than others, I always find them to be an enjoyable ride no matter what, and Sound! Euphonium is no exception. I've heard comparisons around the internet that it's supposedly K-On! with band, but I personally don't feel like that's true. K-On! had a lot more comedy involved in it, while Sound! Euphonium is serious about portraying the difficulties of playing in band and trying to get to a national competition.


Band is hard, guys.

… Well, it seems like it, anyway. I fall short in this area as well, since I was never in band (played violin, but that was over ten years ago, now), so I can't say with certainly whether everything is accurate or not... but it certainly looks it. The way they play and take care of their instruments seems to be done with great care, and the idea that there's a real band purposely playing badly behind this is hilarious to me. Even for someone who doesn't have a lot of experience with band music, you can tell from the progression of the episodes that they're getting better, and that's a really cool thing, in my opinion.


There are so many characters in this show that you're going to find someone you like, even if it's a bit character. I was blown away by the multitude of cute girls, and they all have fun personalities, too! I said earlier that the show is less comedic than past KyoAni works, and that's true... but it doesn't mean it's not funny at all. I always find myself smiling or laughing week to week. There's the obvious (like two of the girls naming their instruments 'Tubacabra' and 'George-kun'), to more subtle things, like a student threatening to throw her mouthpiece at the teacher if he makes her mad, and when they finish playing the song, they show her reaching for it.

As is typical of KyoAni fare, the show is beautifully animated. I particularly enjoy the eye detail that they have going in this show, and there's a lot of scenery porn as well. As I said before, the instruments always look on point, too. It's fun to look at all the little details for all the different characters, like their hairstyles. Everyone seems to have a unique designs, even though there's so many of them.


If you're a fan of KyoAni anime, classical music, band, cute girls, and/or lovely animation, you would enjoy Sound! Euphonium! It airs Tuesdays, at 1 PM EDT!
482 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/14/15
I absolutely love this anime (partially because I'm biased towards it because of band, I'll have to admit). I felt this was a really fair and well thought out review, so well done :). I do wish there was just a little bit more comedy to liven up the show even more.
2489 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M
Offline
Posted 5/14/15 , edited 5/14/15
I love the anime too, but it's lacking just a tad on realism.

The episode where they had to learn to march like a week from a competition? Seriously? That's just not possible. But that aside, this show could still really let me down, even with the level of pain being given to make the instrumentation look and sound realistic.

But the music is what attracted me to this one, and Let's be honest, its far more about the character interactions and how they struggle to try and build their music together. That's what keeps me coming back.


38314 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / New York
Online
Posted 5/14/15

tnori32 wrote:

I absolutely love this anime (partially because I'm biased towards it because of band, I'll have to admit). I felt this was a really fair and well thought out review, so well done :). I do wish there was just a little bit more comedy to liven up the show even more.


Thank you! I think they've increased the comedy a bit in some of the more recent episodes, but this show certain feels a little more serious to me in tone than some of KyoAni's other works.



Veretax wrote:

I love the anime too, but it's lacking just a tad on realism.

The episode where they had to learn to march like a week from a competition? Seriously? That's just not possible. But that aside, this show could still really let me down, even with the level of pain being given to make the instrumentation look and sound realistic.

But the music is what attracted me to this one, and Let's be honest, its far more about the character interactions and how they struggle to try and build their music together. That's what keeps me coming back.


Yeah, unfortunately I'm sure some of those things are hand waved a little just because of episode run time and all that. It's a little hard to tell how much time is actually passing, too, which makes it hard to gauge how long they've actually been able to practice. I agree though, the character interactions are absolutely what makes this show, like I said above, I think KyoAni is pushing to try and be a little bit more serious with this one.

42864 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / M / Memphis, TN
Offline
Posted 5/15/15
Asuka is definitely best girl! But I really love this show, particularly how the band sounded at first--talk about your realism in slice-of-life. . .
27451 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / USA! USA! USA!
Offline
Posted 5/15/15
I thought this was going to be the anti K-On! from the premise, but so far it has yet to deliver.

If the main heroine gets her due comeuppance, then it might achieve what it said it would set out to achieve.
27451 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / USA! USA! USA!
Offline
Posted 6/7/15

maxgale wrote:

I thought this was going to be the anti K-On! from the premise, but so far it has yet to deliver.

If the main heroine gets her due comeuppance, then it might achieve what it said it would set out to achieve.



EPISODE 8.

HAS DELIVERED.
You must be logged in to post.