First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
Do you fight the corrupt government?
2988 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Fort Worth, Texas
Offline
Posted 5/1/15

Morbidhanson wrote:

I usually try to concern myself only with my own business and things that are of very immediate relevance. I'm not very active in promoting widespread change but I can see myself being put in a situation that makes me promote. It might be possible to persuade me to be more active but I recognize myself to be a human being with very limited power. Sadly, that means I am more selfish than I wish to be.

There's always going to be corruption but I think there's a certain threshold at which it becomes so bad that it becomes unacceptable. Of course, it's always bad, but I do think people need to learn some tolerance. Not tolerance for what is bad, so to speak, but tolerance for things that offend them. For their own sake. It's usually best to take care of the most pressing and immediate issues first.

I do admire people who strive to make positive and practical changes but I am not a person who usually concerns himself much with the doings of others. I think people should be left alone to deal with their own issues first before others step in to help. I'm not the type who is a first responder. I prefer to sit back and watch things unfold a little before deciding what I want to do.

Needlessly filing lawsuits is silly, IMO. All that does is bog down the already overburdened system. Nobody has time to deal with that and it's a waste of everyone's time and money. I understand fighting a ticket but I don't understand lawsuit spam over slight issues.



I was really hoping one person could have the mental prowess/understanding of law to know what I'm getting at, just having an open enough mind would work.

Your post paints a very promising individual so I'll reply to this one and hopefully you understand this piece as well, maybe you won't, but I'm hoping.


I usually try to concern myself only with my own business and things that are of very immediate relevance. I'm not very active in promoting widespread change but I can see myself being put in a situation that makes me promote. It might be possible to persuade me to be more active but I recognize myself to be a human being with very limited power. Sadly, that means I am more selfish than I wish to be.


There is not much immediate gain in being an active member of society, it's dangerous, it's unrewarding in the short term, it's difficult, it makes simple things a headache and it makes personal and professional endeavors harder -- but better. It makes tons of sense why you would think this way. Has anyone on this board really know what it's like to actually take your own unguarded path into making society better? They don't.



Needlessly filing lawsuits is silly, IMO. All that does is bog down the already overburdened system. Nobody has time to deal with that and it's a waste of everyone's time and money. I understand fighting a ticket but I don't understand lawsuit spam over slight issues.


The system isn't "overburdened", the 'system' is a thing some group of people set up, right?

We can build spaceships, land on the moon, make facial recognition software, build the internet, but you honestly think changing the 'system' is rocket science? It's this way because it's doing it's job. Fixing political and social issues is as simple as 2 + 2, it's not happening because passive members and corruption reign supreme.

But the liens and lawsuits aren't because I'm salty or just generally angry, it's how you set things right. Police that stay police are to blame mostly. It's not hard to recognize something is wrong with what you're doing, regardless of who told you what.

If people aren't going to hold themselves accountable for their actions, it's our job to defend ourselves and each other from abuse and violation. People aren't going to act right until you set them right, and it's also to set a precedent. On May 7th when he discovers that his credit card no longer works, it's because he should have stopped when he was ahead. But he didn't.
2988 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Fort Worth, Texas
Offline
Posted 5/1/15

silversongwriter wrote:


Magical-Soul wrote:


GayAsianBoy wrote:

Uh what? Drivers licence is a good thing


Okay, so the asinine part of my mind wants to laugh at you.

The sensible part of my brain wants to educate you on what a driver's license is.

But I'm gonna choose option 3. I'll let people think what they want and stick to the topic.


Actually... Is there some kind of fucked up shit about Drivers Licenses? Educate me, I'm open minded. Either I'll agree with you or I'll call you stupid and judge you... kidding...

I woudln't be surprised... the government is fucked up, and I'm sure there may be some secret shit we don't know about.


Check this out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9kVCQ0y5Ec

There is no reason why people don't study what they have, I actually make videos too, I'm working on the Driver's License episode right now.

It's pretty much impossible to get people to betray their beliefs and replace them with facts, nobody does that anymore. When people get abused enough they start to wise up. Sometimes people just snap awake out of the blue.

Whatever happens to you, me or any logic isn't going to change your mind. You can only change it by studying.
4721 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/1/15
I was actually going to watch that, but since it's 2 hours long, nah. I read the free article by Eddie under the info button, though. It was... Ok.

I still feel like the question about your opinion was dodged and you're just judging everyone else's view and selecting only a few users to reply to.
2988 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Fort Worth, Texas
Offline
Posted 5/1/15 , edited 5/1/15

Cero_of_Clouds wrote:

I was actually going to watch that, but since it's 2 hours long, nah. I read the free article by Eddie under the info button, though. It was... Ok.

I still feel like the question about your opinion was dodged and you're just judging everyone else's view and selecting only a few users to reply to.


You missed a lot by not watching the video, but if you don't want too, you shouldn't.

And also, of course I'm not replying to everyone, some of these users require no explanation. If someone piques my interest as a bit brighter, I'll bite, otherwise I'll let them talk their heart out.

EDIT: I can't find the question, where is it? How was it phrased?
4721 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/1/15 , edited 5/1/15

Magical-Soul
You missed a lot by not watching the video, but if you don't want too, you shouldn't.

And also, of course I'm not replying to everyone, some of these users require no explanation. If someone piques my interest as a bit brighter, I'll bite, otherwise I'll let them talk their heart out.


I'll probably watch it later since I'm intrigued by the topic. And I take it back. The article is actually pretty good. Explains a lot in detail while providing its sources under the law.

Sounds good. Just wondering since you seemed kinda jerk-ish about it, but I got it.

Edit: It was from my post that I quoted you on. Reads: "For the most part. If you aren't going to explain your opinion on it, you've got yourself a pretty stale image considering you open up the thread." But you've provided sources about your opinion, so you can disregard.
2988 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Fort Worth, Texas
Offline
Posted 5/1/15

Cero_of_Clouds wrote:


Magical-Soul
You missed a lot by not watching the video, but if you don't want too, you shouldn't.

And also, of course I'm not replying to everyone, some of these users require no explanation. If someone piques my interest as a bit brighter, I'll bite, otherwise I'll let them talk their heart out.


I'll probably watch it later since I'm intrigued by the topic. And I take it back. The article is actually pretty good. Explains a lot in detail while providing its sources under the law.

Sounds good. Just wondering since you seemed kinda jerk-ish about it, but I got it.

Edit: It was from my post that I quoted you on. Reads: "For the most part. If you aren't going to explain your opinion on it, you've got yourself a pretty stale image considering you open up the thread." But you've provided sources about your opinion, so you can disregard.


Precisely, there's no need to explain any "opinion", Driver's License are inherently bad.

If your only explanation for them are: "It makes you a better driver." Than I do not have words.
2299 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / F / US
Offline
Posted 5/1/15

Magical-Soul wrote:


GayAsianBoy wrote:

Uh what? Drivers licence is a good thing


Okay, so the asinine part of my mind wants to laugh at you.

The sensible part of my brain wants to educate you on what a driver's license is.

But I'm gonna choose option 3. I'll let people think what they want and stick to the topic.





9140 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
52 / M / Madison, Wi
Offline
Posted 5/2/15
#1 I live In Madison, Wisconsin. We love to protest. We are good at protesting. Now, i know a lot of people will say otherwise. After all, we did lose on Act 10 (taking away collective bargaining for public employees) What we sometimes do not see or we forget is that for the past 20 some years, there have been attacks on rights up here and we protested against these attacks successfully.
The key? don't just stand around and yell at a building. Be prepare to talk with those that are opposing you in a calm, non-violent manner.
#2 I try to be active. Not easy (protesting is a lot more easy than being constantly active) Go out out and talk with people and get them active.
#3 I vote more than one time every four years. Yeah, i know that some of these "minor' election seem boring, but that is where corruption actually begins. You have got to go out and participate in all of these elections.
#4 i am involve in a fraternity. I am not talking about some college group. I am talking about church membership, unions, community fraternities. (i.e elks, moose, rotary, etc)(i am union) These group try to help out there members, therefore the communities.
At lot of people believe that the governments in the USA is becoming more and more corrupt. And yet we are also seeing a decline in church membership, unions, and community fraternities. Is this just a coincidence? i think not.
politicians need to be reminded constantly who they work for and who "hired' them. If you are not involved, sit on your butt and maybe vote once every four years, then guess what, you WILL get a corrupt government.
Government that is for, of, and by the people needs to be worked on constantly.
49109 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/2/15 , edited 5/2/15

kimjesmark wrote:

#1 I live In Madison, Wisconsin. We love to protest. We are good at protesting. Now, i know a lot of people will say otherwise. After all, we did lose on Act 10 (taking away collective bargaining for public employees) What we sometimes do not see or we forget is that for the past 20 some years, there have been attacks on rights up here and we protested against these attacks successfully.
The key? don't just stand around and yell at a building. Be prepare to talk with those that are opposing you in a calm, non-violent manner.
#2 I try to be active. Not easy (protesting is a lot more easy than being constantly active) Go out out and talk with people and get them active.
#3 I vote more than one time every four years. Yeah, i know that some of these "minor' election seem boring, but that is where corruption actually begins. You have got to go out and participate in all of these elections.
#4 i am involve in a fraternity. I am not talking about some college group. I am talking about church membership, unions, community fraternities. (i.e elks, moose, rotary, etc)(i am union) These group try to help out there members, therefore the communities.
At lot of people believe that the governments in the USA is becoming more and more corrupt. And yet we are also seeing a decline in church membership, unions, and community fraternities. Is this just a coincidence? i think not.
politicians need to be reminded constantly who they work for and who "hired' them. If you are not involved, sit on your butt and maybe vote once every four years, then guess what, you WILL get a corrupt government.
Government that is for, of, and by the people needs to be worked on constantly.


When Nixon resigned they marched around the square, ( the whole ground shook), and then hung him in effigy and burned a big hole in middle of State Street.Viva La Revolucion! Yeah that's right, I was there.Trying to establish a link between declining Church memberships and government corruption is tenuous at best.The Church should look after it's own corruption . There is plenty.
Trelac 
27210 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/2/15

retronatrix wrote:


Magical-Soul wrote:


GayAsianBoy wrote:

Uh what? Drivers licence is a good thing


Okay, so the asinine part of my mind wants to laugh at you.

The sensible part of my brain wants to educate you on what a driver's license is.

But I'm gonna choose option 3. I'll let people think what they want and stick to the topic.







I'm going to double the triple face palm. Please grow up and figure out how society really works... I'm addressing the comments on Driver's licenses btw and nothing else.
49109 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/2/15
The only thing you'll garner from piddling in law enforcements Cheerios is their resentment, and then they will proceed to make sure you suffer.Remember they're people too and have the same weaknesses and strengths everybody else has.You've obviously never lived in Chicago.
18902 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 5/2/15
Your protest by lien, leaves much to be desired. Most governments have official duties shield laws that are applied to any good faith mistake on their part. You also open yourself to be accused of frivolous application for liens and require additional evidentiary procedure for your applications in the future. Legal civil action is not the cure-all answer, just a tool to be used in specific instances.
27244 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 5/2/15 , edited 5/2/15

Magical-Soul wrote:



I was really hoping one person could have the mental prowess/understanding of law to know what I'm getting at, just having an open enough mind would work.

Your post paints a very promising individual so I'll reply to this one and hopefully you understand this piece as well, maybe you won't, but I'm hoping.


I usually try to concern myself only with my own business and things that are of very immediate relevance. I'm not very active in promoting widespread change but I can see myself being put in a situation that makes me promote. It might be possible to persuade me to be more active but I recognize myself to be a human being with very limited power. Sadly, that means I am more selfish than I wish to be.


There is not much immediate gain in being an active member of society, it's dangerous, it's unrewarding in the short term, it's difficult, it makes simple things a headache and it makes personal and professional endeavors harder -- but better. It makes tons of sense why you would think this way. Has anyone on this board really know what it's like to actually take your own unguarded path into making society better? They don't.



Needlessly filing lawsuits is silly, IMO. All that does is bog down the already overburdened system. Nobody has time to deal with that and it's a waste of everyone's time and money. I understand fighting a ticket but I don't understand lawsuit spam over slight issues.


The system isn't "overburdened", the 'system' is a thing some group of people set up, right?

We can build spaceships, land on the moon, make facial recognition software, build the internet, but you honestly think changing the 'system' is rocket science? It's this way because it's doing it's job. Fixing political and social issues is as simple as 2 + 2, it's not happening because passive members and corruption reign supreme.

But the liens and lawsuits aren't because I'm salty or just generally angry, it's how you set things right. Police that stay police are to blame mostly. It's not hard to recognize something is wrong with what you're doing, regardless of who told you what.

If people aren't going to hold themselves accountable for their actions, it's our job to defend ourselves and each other from abuse and violation. People aren't going to act right until you set them right, and it's also to set a precedent. On May 7th when he discovers that his credit card no longer works, it's because he should have stopped when he was ahead. But he didn't.


The justice system is nowhere near as simple or idle as your posts make it seem to be, and that is fact. The American judicial system is founded upon concepts derived from English common law. Some cases are hundreds of years old, carried over from England, and still are binding precedent. There are millions of cases and the system is constantly trying to patch itself up in order to adjust based on changing times, new thoughts about fairness and justice, evolving social norms, etc. No matter what you end up with, it is not perfect and it will never be perfect. Binding precedents are uprooted and replaced by new cases. The law evolves. The law changes. The population grows, and the laws are not able to account for every single little unique situation. Demanding for it to do so is unreasonable since it is impossible. This means judges have a fair amount of discretion when they encounter new or very gray situations in which neither side clearly trumps the other. But the court MUST come to a conclusion so the majority opinion is reached and the case is closed. After all, it can't be disputed forever since there is a lot of work to be done.

I for one do not believe that the entire system is a failure. People who speak of just doom and gloom simply choose to focus on what is wrong but they should also recognize that the government has gotten a fair amount right as well. No matter how you slice it, the US is one of the leading countries of the world. An abrupt and major change would be catastrophic. The change has to come slowly since the system of law is a leg that bears a lot of weight. In addition, much of the law is subjective. There's no way to guarantee that any system will work perfectly when it comes to addressing the very subjective issues of morality.

Yes, there is corruption. But you must understand that corruption is omnipresent. As long as people have power, some will abuse it. And people will cry wolf even if a person in power exercises his power against one's wishes even if that person had the best interests of the people affected in mind. Conversely, legislation meant to address certain issues may open up new cans of worms. If the law was black and white and people were robots, law would be simple. As it stands now, law is more complicated than rocket science. Numbers don't behave oddly like people. Formulas that are followed will always yield the same results. Not so when we consider human subjectivity, societal trends, and people's behaviors. You would not believe how many crazy issues come up that the law needs to account for. The balancing of factors that must be done is staggering and you can often argue either way without being convincingly right or wrong.

To give you a general idea, I spend 9 hours a day in the law library. This does not include time spent in classes daily, which is about 5 hours per weekday. I only rest on sundays. I get 5 hours of sleep most days. I have exams that require me to write 12 page essays from scratch in 2 or 3 hours. I've been doing this for 8 months. And I can still barely keep up. And I'm not even halfway through law school. The general law stuff you see online on the first few pages of your Google search is basic. If those general searches are a view of a planet from space, then actual study of the law is keeping track of each individual ant on a tract of forested land. From up there where Google is, it's very easy to think you understand enough to call the shots for everything below, but you actually have to zoom in. It's one big tangled mess and there's no avoiding it. It sure would be nice, but utopia does not exist.

That being said, people who protest and rally against the government for its wrongdoings have an important place in society. These people are a sort of check that helps keep the country from being completely lorded over by a governing body of a few individuals. However, it's important to have tolerance for the bumps on the road of life. It's the only way you will survive without turning into a nutcase. There are too many reprehensible wrongdoings to address. This doesn't mean that we should stop trying to halt wrongdoing. This only means that we should recignize that we can't completely stop wrongdoing. That is all. I am not saying that protesting and fighting the government to get it to stop doing wrong is bad.

I am merely saying that is is beyond the ability of mere mortals to halt injustice. It's admirable and important to try to a reasonable extent, but perfection is out of reach. As long as you live, you will suffer and you will die but that doesn't make life meaningless. Sort of like that.
6264 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 5/2/15
No, I'm in the military. I fight FOR the corrupt government. Well, at least for another couple of years.
The pay is good. Who needs pride when you have your vidya games and anime?
42864 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / M / Memphis, TN
Offline
Posted 5/2/15 , edited 5/2/15

Jamming777 wrote:

Your protest by lien, leaves much to be desired. Most governments have official duties shield laws that are applied to any good faith mistake on their part. You also open yourself to be accused of frivolous application for liens and require additional evidentiary procedure for your applications in the future. Legal civil action is not the cure-all answer, just a tool to be used in specific instances.


I would advise those following this thread, particularly the usage of liens as legal instruments against the actions of public officials performing their sworn duties, to immediately look-up the term sovereign citizen. That seems to me to be the tone of the original post. [An old adage runs: "Make your own decisions, but at least know what you're signing up for."]
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.