First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply Racism in Japan
17065 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Fredericton, NB
Offline
Posted 5/4/15 , edited 5/4/15
Although slow moving, Japan has seemed to realize to an extent that they can't survive as they currently are now. With a distaste for foreigners and a general lack of multiculturalism for the developed world, Japan will be unable to escape the economic and social slump they have been for the past 30 years or so.

When they open their borders to immigrants and further international trade, those who are not 'pureblood Japanese' will become more normal and they won't immediately look at foreigners like they are aliens.
2551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / space
Offline
Posted 5/4/15
shes not even black shes light skinned -.-''
2462 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Minnesota, USA
Offline
Posted 5/4/15
"Their cultural perspectives are horribly wrong, they should change to meet mine instead!" Um no. I'm a white American and had the same reaction when I saw her. She simply doesn't look Japanese.

Now in a country like the USA where it's a giant mish-mash of cultures and skin colors pretty much anyone could become Miss USA and no-one would bat and eyelash but that makes sense considering our diverse population and cultures are all intertwined. But to a people who have an immensely rich cultural heritage they want someone that embodies them well. And I'm sorry but she doesn't look Japanese so it's going to pretty rather difficult for her to do that.

All the above being said, obviously someone voted her up there?
37230 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 5/4/15

pirththee wrote:


jordancharacter wrote:

The way I understand it, the problem stems mostly from the large 'older', and very much xenophobic, population in Japan, making up to what, 40% of the total population? The younger generations seem to be rather accepting of foreigners. I imagine any nation with this high amount of elderly would cause quite a bit of social issues.


You don't think maybe this conclusion is based on a bias because you are a member of a different demographic?


No, it's based on logic. Given Japan's colorful history in the way they acted towards foreign nations, it makes sense, and the same would apply to other nations I believe. People like to hold on to their ideals and way of thinking, even if the times change. Mind you, I am not saying that all of the younger population in Japan is not racist, but it makes sense that most of the problems with xenophobia would stem from the older population.

I don't really appreciate having my opinion dismissed all because I am younger. Most people my age are complete idiots, so please do not bunch me up with them.

24279 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 5/4/15

masked185 wrote:

"Their cultural perspectives are horribly wrong, they should change to meet mine instead!" Um no. I'm a white American and had the same reaction when I saw her. She simply doesn't look Japanese.

Now in a country like the USA where it's a giant mish-mash of cultures and skin colors pretty much anyone could become Miss USA and no-one would bat and eyelash but that makes sense considering our diverse population and cultures are all intertwined. But to a people who have an immensely rich cultural heritage they want someone that embodies them well. And I'm sorry but she doesn't look Japanese so it's going to pretty rather difficult for her to do that.

All the above being said, obviously someone voted her up there?


So do you support forcing people into cultural stereotypes based on how they look?
17205 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 5/4/15

MysticGon wrote:


masked185 wrote:

"Their cultural perspectives are horribly wrong, they should change to meet mine instead!" Um no. I'm a white American and had the same reaction when I saw her. She simply doesn't look Japanese.

Now in a country like the USA where it's a giant mish-mash of cultures and skin colors pretty much anyone could become Miss USA and no-one would bat and eyelash but that makes sense considering our diverse population and cultures are all intertwined. But to a people who have an immensely rich cultural heritage they want someone that embodies them well. And I'm sorry but she doesn't look Japanese so it's going to pretty rather difficult for her to do that.

All the above being said, obviously someone voted her up there?


So do you support forcing people into cultural stereotypes based on how they look?
/Mind reads

That person is going to answer no.
2462 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Minnesota, USA
Offline
Posted 5/4/15

FlyinDumpling wrote:


MysticGon wrote:


masked185 wrote:

"Their cultural perspectives are horribly wrong, they should change to meet mine instead!" Um no. I'm a white American and had the same reaction when I saw her. She simply doesn't look Japanese.

Now in a country like the USA where it's a giant mish-mash of cultures and skin colors pretty much anyone could become Miss USA and no-one would bat and eyelash but that makes sense considering our diverse population and cultures are all intertwined. But to a people who have an immensely rich cultural heritage they want someone that embodies them well. And I'm sorry but she doesn't look Japanese so it's going to pretty rather difficult for her to do that.

All the above being said, obviously someone voted her up there?


So do you support forcing people into cultural stereotypes based on how they look?
/Mind reads

That person is going to answer no.


I am trying to advise that people respect a culture willingly stereotyping themselves based on their cultural looks. Japanese = a specific look, that is undeniable. Granted you could be talking about Japanese in a nationality sense where as I am talking about them in a cultural sense. Can she represent a country she is a civilian in? Well of course she can. Is she a good representation of the Japanese culture? Maybe she is. Does she look Japanese? A resounding NO.
20192 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / The Heroes Associ...
Offline
Posted 5/4/15 , edited 5/4/15
Japan is racist to white/black people, other Asians and foreigners in general.

The only ones who are not racist are the younger generation. Among the elderly conservatives you will find ALOT of racists.

They literally put "only Japanese" in some job articles in the newspaper and they even have "Japanese only" stores.

a few members of my family have lived in some of the more rural areas of japan and experienced this stuff first hand.
17205 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 5/4/15

masked185 wrote:


FlyinDumpling wrote:

/Mind reads

That person is going to answer no.
[...] A resounding NO.
Hey beautiful, you got the right answer to the wrong question
6377 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/4/15
Miss any nation should look like the people of that nation. The exception of that would be America since it is not just one set of people.

Miss Japan should be Japanese, it would be the same if Miss Kenya was white. I don't really get the who miss universe thing but I fail to see how not wanting a half black girl to be miss japan is racist.
3015 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/4/15 , edited 5/4/15

wolfbrother0 wrote:

Miss any nation should look like the people of that nation. The exception of that would be America since it is not just one set of people.

Miss Japan should be Japanese, it would be the same if Miss Kenya was white. I don't really get the who miss universe thing but I fail to see how not wanting a half black girl to be miss japan is racist.


I disagree entirely with what you wrote. (like it generally happens on the internet). How does being half Black and half Japanese disqualify her from being Miss Japan. If she is raised in Japan, has a Japanese family, and has a normal Japanese name: She is Japanese, and it's wrong for the Japanese people to be unwilling to accept her because she's not 100% pure Japanese. It's racist, and that's the jist of it. What do Japanese people look like, if someone deviates from that are they no longer Japanese?
6377 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/4/15

robxmachina wrote:


wolfbrother0 wrote:

Miss any nation should look like the people of that nation. The exception of that would be America since it is not just one set of people.

Miss Japan should be Japanese, it would be the same if Miss Kenya was white. I don't really get the who miss universe thing but I fail to see how not wanting a half black girl to be miss japan is racist.


I disagree entirely with what you wrote. (like it generally happens on the internet). How does being half Black and half Japanese disqualify her from being Miss Japan. If she is raised in Japan, has a Japanese family, and has a normal Japanese name: She is Japanese, and it's wrong for the Japanese people to be unwilling to accept her because she's not 100% pure Japanese. It's racist, and that's the jist of it. What do Japanese people look like, if someone deviates from that are they no longer Japanese?


you disagree that it is normal for people to want their ethnicity represented in who their miss is? Because I think it is perfectly reasonable. She is a little too dark to look Japanese, She could probably pass for Indonesian but not Japanese.

If she was half Chinese or Korean and they still had a problem with it, I would agree that it was unfair but half black is not representative of Japan.
xxJing 
37209 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Duckburg
Offline
Posted 5/4/15
I guess it's difficult for them seeing that they were holed up on an island for the majority of their history. South Korea is worse from what I hear though.

Although this might more have to do with the fact that she is half-black more than that she is only half-Japanese. The Japanese image of the perfect woman is one of fair skin. Asians do have the ability to be really pale, even though it is a rarity, and to them that is what they find attractive. In fact from what I have seen, a lot of their professional models are half-white.
2462 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Minnesota, USA
Offline
Posted 5/4/15

FlyinDumpling wrote:


masked185 wrote:


FlyinDumpling wrote:

/Mind reads

That person is going to answer no.
[...] A resounding NO.
Hey beautiful, you got the right answer to the wrong question


I'm beautiful? *Blushes* Why thank you! Nice edit on your part ;-)
49109 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/4/15 , edited 5/5/15

jordancharacter wrote:


pirththee wrote:


jordancharacter wrote:

The way I understand it, the problem stems mostly from the large 'older', and very much xenophobic, population in Japan, making up to what, 40% of the total population? The younger generations seem to be rather accepting of foreigners. I imagine any nation with this high amount of elderly would cause quite a bit of social issues.


You don't think maybe this conclusion is based on a bias because you are a member of a different demographic?


No, it's based on logic. Given Japan's colorful history in the way they acted towards foreign nations, it makes sense, and the same would apply to other nations I believe. People like to hold on to their ideals and way of thinking, even if the times change. Mind you, I am not saying that all of the younger population in Japan is not racist, but it makes sense that most of the problems with xenophobia would stem from the older population.

I don't really appreciate having my opinion dismissed all because I am younger. Most people my age are complete idiots, so please do not bunch me up with them.

You do use over generalized age bias in your statements. "Most people my age are complete idiots" is an excellent example.Is that "logic" too?If I was dismissive of your opinion I wouldn't have even bothered to answer, and what you appreciate is totally in the realm of your purview, so subsequently I don't enjoy any shared responsibility.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.