First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply Racism in Japan
3015 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/4/15

wolfbrother0 wrote:


robxmachina wrote:


wolfbrother0 wrote:

Miss any nation should look like the people of that nation. The exception of that would be America since it is not just one set of people.

Miss Japan should be Japanese, it would be the same if Miss Kenya was white. I don't really get the who miss universe thing but I fail to see how not wanting a half black girl to be miss japan is racist.


I disagree entirely with what you wrote. (like it generally happens on the internet). How does being half Black and half Japanese disqualify her from being Miss Japan. If she is raised in Japan, has a Japanese family, and has a normal Japanese name: She is Japanese, and it's wrong for the Japanese people to be unwilling to accept her because she's not 100% pure Japanese. It's racist, and that's the jist of it. What do Japanese people look like, if someone deviates from that are they no longer Japanese?


you disagree that it is normal for people to want their ethnicity represented in who their miss is? Because I think it is perfectly reasonable. She is a little too dark to look Japanese, She could probably pass for Indonesian but not Japanese.

If she was half Chinese or Korean and they still had a problem with it, I would agree that it was unfair but half black is not representative of Japan.


It is not reasonable at all, "she's a little to dark to look Japanese", just change Japanese to american, and you'll why it's just as messed up. Just because it's not America does not mean it's okay for them to discriminate against someone because of the color of their skin
51832 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Australia
Offline
Posted 5/4/15 , edited 5/4/15
I don't really get why people should care what another countries views on things like that are. Its not our place to try to change it.
6377 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/4/15 , edited 5/4/15

robxmachina wrote:


wolfbrother0 wrote:


robxmachina wrote:


wolfbrother0 wrote:

Miss any nation should look like the people of that nation. The exception of that would be America since it is not just one set of people.

Miss Japan should be Japanese, it would be the same if Miss Kenya was white. I don't really get the who miss universe thing but I fail to see how not wanting a half black girl to be miss japan is racist.


I disagree entirely with what you wrote. (like it generally happens on the internet). How does being half Black and half Japanese disqualify her from being Miss Japan. If she is raised in Japan, has a Japanese family, and has a normal Japanese name: She is Japanese, and it's wrong for the Japanese people to be unwilling to accept her because she's not 100% pure Japanese. It's racist, and that's the jist of it. What do Japanese people look like, if someone deviates from that are they no longer Japanese?


you disagree that it is normal for people to want their ethnicity represented in who their miss is? Because I think it is perfectly reasonable. She is a little too dark to look Japanese, She could probably pass for Indonesian but not Japanese.

If she was half Chinese or Korean and they still had a problem with it, I would agree that it was unfair but half black is not representative of Japan.


It is not reasonable at all, "she's a little to dark to look Japanese", just change Japanese to american, and you'll why it's just as messed up. Just because it's not America does not mean it's okay for them to discriminate against someone because of the color of their skin


The major difference is America is a melting pot of people and cultures, there is ideally no one color or ethnicity. Again it is Japan, totally normal for them, and they have every right to take pride in their own ethnicity, and believe that their miss Japan should represent that.
22023 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / California
Offline
Posted 5/4/15
Wasn't there a thread on this?
101435 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / You, Knighted States
Offline
Posted 5/4/15 , edited 5/5/15

wolfbrother0 wrote:

Miss any nation should look like the people of that nation. The exception of that would be America since it is not just one set of people.

Miss Japan should be Japanese, it would be the same if Miss Kenya was white. I don't really get the who miss universe thing but I fail to see how not wanting a half black girl to be miss japan is racist.


We're not talking about dog breeds here. There are no predetermined set of physical criteria for "being Japanese". She's not going for Best in Show at Westminster and she's not a Shiba Inu: She's a person--a person who was born and raised in Japan. She is Japanese.
28724 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / New Zealand
Offline
Posted 5/4/15

saprobe wrote:


wolfbrother0 wrote:

Miss any nation should look like the people of that nation. The exception of that would be America since it is not just one set of people.

Miss Japan should be Japanese, it would be the same if Miss Kenya was white. I don't really get the who miss universe thing but I fail to see how not wanting a half black girl to be miss japan is racist.


We're not talking about dog breeds here. There are no predetermined set of physical criteria for "being Japanese". She's not going for Best in Show at Westminster and she's not a Shiba Inu: She's a person--a person who was born and raised in Japan. She is Japanese.


Exactly! Man, that was such a racist comment...
6377 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/5/15

saprobe wrote:


wolfbrother0 wrote:

Miss any nation should look like the people of that nation. The exception of that would be America since it is not just one set of people.

Miss Japan should be Japanese, it would be the same if Miss Kenya was white. I don't really get the who miss universe thing but I fail to see how not wanting a half black girl to be miss japan is racist.


We're not talking about dog breeds here. There are no predetermined set of physical criteria for "being Japanese". She's not going for Best in Show at Westminster and she's not a Shiba Inu: She's a person--a person who was born and raised in Japan. She is Japanese.


actually there is a set of physical characteristics make someone Japanese. You may not like the fact that there is but it does not change that it is true.
26 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / F
Offline
Posted 5/5/15
It's not just skin colour that's a problem for Japanese.

A Japanese friend of mine got married to a European and took his last name.
From then on she was labelled Gaijin by her co-workers and bullied so intensely that she had to leave her job.
Her boss did nothing to help her. From what she told me, this is very common. She was mostly shocked by
the fact that the worst abuse came mainly from the younger well educated colleagues.
37445 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 5/5/15 , edited 5/5/15

MysticGon wrote:

Boycott their shit and let them sink deeper into economic recession.


You go first. Stop watching anime and reading manga....

3473 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / The Mothership
Offline
Posted 5/5/15
Japan has a history of being closed off and being hermits to the world but the xenophobic behavior stems mostly from the elder population while the younger ones are a little bit more accepting notice what I said a little not a lot and with the advent of computers it is increasingly harder for them to remain closed to the world plus with the way their economy and population is declining they can't keep it up. Maybe they make their characters like that in the anime and manga to compensate for what they don't have in real life because she is a nice change of pace from the pale and sickly looking women they have.
11782 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / McDonough
Offline
Posted 5/5/15
While I don't condone insulting someone because of the color of their skin I can understand how the Japanese would feel this way. Having someone who is half Japanese represent Japan would seem somewhat like a betrayal I guess? I'm not sure how to word it. She isn't Japanese, she's half Japanese half African. With that being said she IS Japanese so you can't turn her away from the contest. It's hard to understand their point of view especially living in America since "American" can be represented by any and every race. Is it racist to be upset that Ms. Japan isn't 100% Japanese? No. Is it racist to slander her for it? Yeah.

I probably should have avoided this conversation since I can't even get my thoughts together properly.
26718 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Waterloo, Ontario
Offline
Posted 5/5/15
Every country is racist.
katt14 
16018 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Sydney, Australia
Offline
Posted 5/5/15 , edited 5/5/15
Every country has its share of racists. Australia is supposed to be known for its ethos of the fair go for everyone, but it is unfortunately just as racist as anywhere else - one only has to look at our record with the indigenous Aborigines to see where people actually stand; and it is only getting worse with all the fear whipped up around terrorism; and the misinformation propogated by the Government & the media surrounding illegal immigrants arriving by boat. It is one of the great shames of Australia.
The sad thing about racism is that it is so difficult to counter - once a racist, always a racist it would seem! But rather than throwing our hands up in defeat, we should continue to lead by example, bring attention to it when it occurs & teach our youth that it is an attitude born of ignorance & fear, and one that should not be tolerated. What else can we do??
Posted 5/5/15 , edited 5/5/15
I don't think this is an issue specific to Japan. Every country has its notorious racism incidents and, unfortunately, its the few that make these comments that end up being a representative of the country. For example, America is well known to have issues with the Latino and African-American communities residing in the USA, England is known for it's beef with Middle Easterns.. well you see where i'm going with this.

Just because there's some wackos out there who need some sensitivity and rationality in their lives doesn't mean the whole nation is like that. In time I hope people stop caring.
19409 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 5/5/15

mordant221 wrote:
Mostly Japanese you mean, they don't treat other Asians very well either. Filipinos are relegated to working low level menial jobs, particularly the women. Koreans can't vote, even if they are 2nd or 3rd generation citizens. The Chinese are treated nearly as bad as the Filipinos. Western European and Caucasian Americans are treated the best, even so, they shouldn't over stay their welcome.


I don't disagree with the sentiment of most of your comment, but If what I highlighted in it were true that wouldn't just be discriminatory, but also a really blatant violation of the Japanese constitution, and there would be major lawsuits about this. I think you're confusing citizens and permanent residents here. The Koreans who have lived in Japan for several generations without the right to vote are those who haven't naturalized. They can choose to naturalize and apply for citizenship like any other permanent resident who has lived in Japan for a certain period of time, and once they do they get voting rights like all other citizens (losing their original citizenship in the process, since Japan doesn't recognize dual citizenship). It's just that many of them choose not to, for various reasons (not wanting to lose the Korean citizenship as an important part of their identity, the naturalization process being too much of a hassle, no real incentive to get citizenship other than voting rights, etc.). It has been argued that they should have the right to vote in local/municipal elections (like permanent resident legal aliens in some European countries do), or even that they should be given full voting rights without changes to their citizenship status due to the special circumstances of their ending up in Japan (Korea wasn't an independent country back then, a lot of them were brought in against their will, the second and third generations are culturally more Japanese than Korean, etc.), but in general it's not that unusual for non-citizens of a country not to have voting rights, so it's not just a Japanese vs Koreans thing.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.