First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Can/should religion destroy families?
5613 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 5/5/15
Personally... I have a unique answer... it can't, and it should. Let me explain

If you come out to your parents and they disown you, then they most likely never really loved you to begin with. Same as if you married someone of another race/religion. Your parents have every right to kick you out, and there's no legal obligation for them to continue loving you... However, people sin all the time, and their families don't kick them out. Religion shouldn't really be blamed.
If religion was responsible, then kids would be disowned over any sin. Homophobia is a product of wisdom of repugnance and natural visceral disgust. If it were just religion then homosexuality would be treated as just another sin. But it isn't. And plus, why was it listed as a sin in the first place if the bible was written by man? Obviously homophobia predates religion.

But should your family dissolve over religious issues? Yes... because if religion can destroy your family, your bonds were weak to begin with. The love you had all these years was fake, and is irrelevant now...
What you should do is declare your family dead... And keep them that way.
Stop loving your parents/grandparents/brothers/sisters/kids if they can't accept you. And don't come crawling back 10 years later with your partner asking for acceptance... And don't let them come back to apologize... just declare them dead in your heart and pretend they are dead in reality.

In a way, religion didn't kill your family, it just showed you that the love you felt was fake and your family should be disolved. You should thank religion for showing you that your family was worthless to begin with.

Rememeber... Blood is nothing but a red liquid that turns into a black sticky mess after being left out... You shouldn't love your mom for giving birth to you, you should love her for taking care of you.
5613 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 5/5/15 , edited 5/5/15

Nishizumi wrote:

Ooh look another stupid thread by the resident idiot.


I'm sorry you're not intelligent enough to comprehend what I've said. It's sad, because I try to make my threads so simple a 5 yr old can understand

By the way, you're that annoying person who PM'd me talking shit, while not explaining any of what you're mad about... If you have nothing to say, then shut up
Posted 5/5/15
If you're a family of idiots, it probably will.
Posted 5/5/15

silversongwriter wrote:

Then it's a good thing.... If you have a family of idiots, you shouldn't wanna be with them, and you shouldn't love them.

If I were gay, and my parents were ultra-religious... For one, I wouldn't be stupid enough to come out. I would earn up enough money to move out, move away, and never speak to them again. I wouldn't let them disown me, I'd disown them first. You'd never see me at another funeral, wedding, BBQ, family reunion or anything ever again.


Good for you.
5613 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 5/5/15 , edited 5/5/15

_MissTake_ wrote:

If you're a family of idiots, it probably will.


Then it's a good thing.... If you have a family of idiots, you shouldn't wanna be with them, and you shouldn't love them.

If I were gay, and my parents were ultra-religious... For one, I wouldn't be stupid enough to come out. I would earn up enough money to move out, move away, and never speak to them again. I wouldn't let them disown me, I'd disown them first. You'd never see me at another funeral, wedding, BBQ, family reunion or anything ever again.


Nishizumi wrote:


silversongwriter wrote:

I'm sorry you're not intelligent enough to comprehend what I've said. It's sad, because I try to make my threads so simple a 5 yr old can understand


what me stupid me no onderstang why you call me stoopid....

Seriously dude grow up, your threads are nothing more than troll threads trying to bait people into giving you attention, well here you go mr attention seeker, you go what you wanted.

I understand your topic more so than you would have me believe, it can't be helped if your just an idiot that has no willpower. Nice try but 1/10 only for effort and a minimal one at that.


"Willpower"? Again.. if you don't wanna explain what the fuck your talking about, then I don't care what you say
And if you're not interested in the topic, don't comment... simple
5613 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 5/5/15

_MissTake_ wrote:

Good for you.


Yea... I don't know, I just hope people one day learn to disregard blood/genes in the context of family. It really is rather archaic to consider someone family simply for sharing genetic material
2299 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / F / US
Offline
Posted 5/5/15 , edited 5/5/15
If our child came out as gay I wouldn't disown. Tell him out was time to move out? Perhaps. Some things or behaviors, decisions and sucharen't allowed in our house. But it's not going to lead to him getting thrown to the wolves so to speak. That comes down to common sense and his maturity. If he couldn't handle living on his own then it would be a different matter. His homosexuality wouldn't make him less loved nor any less of a human being.
2044 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M
Offline
Posted 5/5/15
Can it? Yes.
Should it? No.
27232 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Online
Posted 5/5/15
I don't think so.

Some things are more important to some people than to others. The very religious consider their religion an inviolable way of life and they worship their god as a supreme being. These people consider their religion to be something that is of utmost importance, and those who aren't religious can't really understand how these people feel without being in their situation. It is possible to love two things at once and to voluntarily cast off the lesser loved for the sake of the greater. A parent who disowns a child is often greatly affected by that choice.

Parents are free to kick out their kids once they are no longer minors, but parents still have a duty to make sure their child reaches an age at which they are able to fend for themselves. There is certainly no legal obligation for a parent to love their children, but there is a very real legal duty for parents to take care of their minor children who depend upon them for survival.

On its own, religion doesn't do anything. It is how people hold it in their hearts and how people act based on their faith that gives religion any power and meaning.
5613 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 5/5/15

retronatrix wrote:

If our child came out as gay I wouldn't disown. Tell him out was time to move out? Perhaps. Some things or behaviors, decisions and sucharen't allowed in our house. But it's not going to lead to him getting thrown to the wolves so to speak. That comes down to common sense and his maturity. If he couldn't handle living on his own then it would be a different matter. His homosexuality wouldn't make him less loved nor any less of a human being.


That's how things should be. Of course, you should not love your child for being your child. Just like your child shouldn't love you for being his parent. Love should only be between two parties who choose to love one another, and not over some blood bond which means nothing in this day and age.
As long as there's no hate, a child should not be hated. However, if hate does occur between families, then I'd say splitting up is for the best.

Just like if my dad joined an organization I hated, such as the DEA. I'd hate my father for that. Because I hate DEA. And I dont' give special exemptions to people over their blood
2299 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / F / US
Offline
Posted 5/5/15

silversongwriter wrote:


Nishizumi wrote:

Ooh look another stupid thread by the resident idiot.


I'm sorry you're not intelligent enough to comprehend what I've said. It's sad, because I try to make my threads so simple a 5 yr old can understand

By the way, you're that annoying person who PM'd me talking shit, while not explaining any of what you're mad about... If you have nothing to say, then shut up


I,for one,enjoy Silver's posts. Are some bait? Or the vast majority? Surely. BUT it gets people talking. And most of them have good points. Better than another what colors are your dinner thread.
2299 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / F / US
Offline
Posted 5/5/15 , edited 5/5/15

silversongwriter wrote:


retronatrix wrote:

If our child came out as gay I wouldn't disown. Tell him out was time to move out? Perhaps. Some things or behaviors, decisions and sucharen't allowed in our house. But it's not going to lead to him getting thrown to the wolves so to speak. That comes down to common sense and his maturity. If he couldn't handle living on his own then it would be a different matter. His homosexuality wouldn't make him less loved nor any less of a human being.


That's how things should be. Of course, you should not love your child for being your child. Just like your child shouldn't love you for being his parent. Love should only be between two parties who choose to love one another, and not over some blood bond which means nothing in this day and age.
As long as there's no hate, a child should not be hated. However, if hate does occur between families, then I'd say splitting up is for the best.

Just like if my dad joined an organization I hated, such as the DEA. I'd hate my father for that. Because I hate DEA. And I dont' give special exemptions to people over their blood


Well a good amount comes down to the fact that our children don't belong to us, they belong to God. We might provide the environment,upbringing,morals and love but it's not for our glory.

I've had to break ties with my adoptive family because it was a matter of not having a choice but we were all at a point where I explained why I was doing what I was doing and I was transparent about my convictions and maturity. I still love them and they me but it was the circumstances and the fact that we all have deep mutual respect that keeps the love going. When I broke away from most of my birth family it was driven again by the nature of circumstance but this time there was no mutual respect and no actual love, just duty. So that split wasn't felt by me simply because blood is blood.

Yes, family is important but the blood link doesn't mean much if that respect and love isn't part of the family.
2044 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M
Offline
Posted 5/5/15

retronatrix wrote:


silversongwriter wrote:


Nishizumi wrote:

Ooh look another stupid thread by the resident idiot.


I'm sorry you're not intelligent enough to comprehend what I've said. It's sad, because I try to make my threads so simple a 5 yr old can understand

By the way, you're that annoying person who PM'd me talking shit, while not explaining any of what you're mad about... If you have nothing to say, then shut up


I,for one,enjoy Silver's posts. Are some bait? Or the vast majority? Surely. BUT it gets people talking. And most of them have good points. Better than another what colors are your dinner thread.


While a few of them have been taken a bit too far, I quite agree. I like the posts.
5613 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 5/5/15 , edited 5/5/15

xeneria wrote:

Can it? Yes.
Should it? No.


The way I see it, a truely strong family wouldn't be torn apart by religion. And if a families bonds are weak, it should be torn apart regardless
9551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 5/5/15
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.