First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Higurashi/When They Cry
24901 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Bay Area
Offline
Posted 5/6/15 , edited 6/3/15
So I have been playing osu! for like 4 months and I came across the song "Dear You" and today, since I liked the song so much, I finally decided to see if this song came from an anime. I ended up finding the full vocal version not remixed by DJ Genericname and I love the song. Then I see that the song was from this anime. I heard that this anime is pretty intense. Going to try and binge watch it this weekend. Should I be prepared for something great or disappointing? I honestly wanted to watch this because of this song.

EDIT: Figured I should have posted the song I was talking about. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjNVPO8ff84

2ND EDIT: God Damn I loved every bit of it. Just finished it. I might have to watch it again to get a deeper meaning of the story. Yeah it's pretty confusing in the beginning but holy shit it is so worth it in the end. Anyways, I advise anyone to pick this up if they have not watched it yet. Became one of my favorites really quick. ^ Boo me from 28 days ago. You will see something spectacular!

104083 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 5/6/15
You will be confused.

You need to be committed to watching everything it has which is like 80+ episodes.
215251 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Anime World
Offline
Posted 5/6/15
Ah Higurashi...the memories. I watched it years after it debuted but the first OP song still remains glorious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRtsIJXrhqc
40325 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Free World Jail
Offline
Posted 5/6/15 , edited 5/6/15
Something great. Just stick with it through the confusion.
11505 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/6/15
I stopped watching only 3 or so eps from completion.

When everything gets cleared up, and you understand the truth of why everything is happening... there was this order:

388 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/7/15 , edited 5/7/15
It's pretty good but be warned. There are some parts of that anime that are quite disturbing.

Anyways, the song "Dear You" is from a PS2 game. It is not in the anime.
51315 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 5/7/15 , edited 7/2/15
You will spend the first two dozen episodes wondering wtf you're watching. You will spend the next two dozen episodes happy that you finally know what the series is about. You will be watching certain OVAs wondering why the hell they exist. You will be watching other OVAs that actually make sense. Overall, your brain will melt almost as if you just watched End of Evangelion over and over again. I'd say it's worth it.
23243 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M
Offline
Posted 5/7/15 , edited 5/7/15
far as i'm concerned you only need to watch the first two seasons(ends with Matsuribayashi-hen), which is like 50 episodes. Everything after that is kinda ova material where most of it serves no real purpose to the main plot The first season is confusing as hell but once you start the second season the payoff is kind of amazing as all the confusing stuff gets explained really well and the ending is pretty fufilling, i'm personally glad i stuck with it.
24614 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M
Offline
Posted 5/7/15 , edited 5/7/15

animegrl171 wrote:

It's pretty good but be warned. There are some parts of that anime that are quite disturbing.

Anyways, the song "Dear You" is from a PS2 game. It is not in the anime.
Should be in the PC version of Kai as well. You can purchase the English PC versions of the original VN of Higurashi at the mangagamers website, for anyone who's interested. I highly recommend this entire series to anyone thinking about reading it., although I'm pretty sure you will still have to go through Witchhunt or Umitweak to patch in English versions of the second half of the series after purchasing Umineko, although if you are just interested in Higurashi you can play as is from the site(Yes Mangagamers its a fully legit site, and I know that at least Witchhunt was endorsed by Ryukishi07). Not sure about how you'd go about getting the Higurashi PS2 mods for the PC game, although I'm sure they are out there, as I know some people are turned off by Ryukishi07's amateur character designs(although they do grow on you), and the PS2 version might have voice acting.

Fun fact: Dai's work on the Higurashi soundtrack was originally just fan tribute, but Ryukishi07 liked it so much he decided to use his work in Higurashi Kai: When they Cry 2, since the first Higurashi no naku koro ni only used free license music tracks and did not have an original soundtrack at all. He later put Dai in charge of music for When they cry 3 and 4. Best decision ever. Its easy to forget that this series is a doujin(self published/indie) work with how awesome it is.


Marz311 wrote:

far as i'm concerned you only need to watch the first two seasons(ends with Matsuribayashi-hen), which is like 50 episodes. Everything after that is kinda ova material where most of it serves no real purpose to the main plot The first season is confusing as hell but once you start the second season the payoff is kind of amazing as all the confusing stuff gets explained really well and the ending is pretty fufilling, i'm personally glad i stuck with it.
One story in Rei is important to the main story(as well as to Umineko to some degree) although its arguable people won't really get it anyways since any reference to Bernkastel is pretty much left out in the anime except for the one scene at the end of the main story. Other than that you are correct in that most of Rei and all of Kira are just Wrap-up Party goofiness(which I do have to point out is VERY in character for the series, its just of questionable merit in how it is presented as stand alone seasons.)
24901 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Bay Area
Offline
Posted 5/7/15
Okay thanks for the advice guys. If I am going to be committed then I'll probably try next week then.



animegrl171 wrote:

It's pretty good but be warned. There are some parts of that anime that are quite disturbing.

Anyways, the song "Dear You" is from a PS2 game. It is not in the anime.


Oh really? That's good to know. I just was looking through comments in YouTube and this Anime was mentioned so I assumed it was from here
9127 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 5/7/15

Swaggercandy wrote:

Okay thanks for the advice guys. If I am going to be committed then I'll probably try next week then.



animegrl171 wrote:

It's pretty good but be warned. There are some parts of that anime that are quite disturbing.

Anyways, the song "Dear You" is from a PS2 game. It is not in the anime.


Oh really? That's good to know. I just was looking through comments in YouTube and this Anime was mentioned so I assumed it was from here


It's from the overall series. Each character has their own version. The most widely know is Shion's version, which it the normal Dear You. I loved the song so much I picked up the official piano score (sheet music) while in Japan. This anime is my #1 of all time. I've seen it more than any other.

I'd give the entire series 2 watch-throughs (First season and Kai). The truth you learn at the end of the second season is not the full truth (there are still some holes and inconsistencies). The full truth is embedded in the series, but you don't notice the pieces watching through it once. It's also fun to see what it going on once you understand why.

You don't need to watch Rei or the other OVAs (some of them are terrible) but they give a little extra, or at least the serious ones do.
24901 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Bay Area
Offline
Posted 5/7/15

MightyMidgit wrote:


It's from the overall series. Each character has their own version. The most widely know is Shion's version, which it the normal Dear You. I loved the song so much I picked up the official piano score (sheet music) while in Japan. This anime is my #1 of all time. I've seen it more than any other.

I'd give the entire series 2 watch-throughs (First season and Kai). The truth you learn at the end of the second season is not the full truth (there are still some holes and inconsistencies). The full truth is embedded in the series, but you don't notice the pieces watching through it once. It's also fun to see what it going on once you understand why.

You don't need to watch Rei or the other OVAs (some of them are terrible) but they give a little extra, or at least the serious ones do.



So is there a specific order I should watch it in?
9127 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 5/7/15 , edited 5/7/15

Swaggercandy wrote:


MightyMidgit wrote:


It's from the overall series. Each character has their own version. The most widely know is Shion's version, which it the normal Dear You. I loved the song so much I picked up the official piano score (sheet music) while in Japan. This anime is my #1 of all time. I've seen it more than any other.

I'd give the entire series 2 watch-throughs (First season and Kai). The truth you learn at the end of the second season is not the full truth (there are still some holes and inconsistencies). The full truth is embedded in the series, but you don't notice the pieces watching through it once. It's also fun to see what it going on once you understand why.

You don't need to watch Rei or the other OVAs (some of them are terrible) but they give a little extra, or at least the serious ones do.



So is there a specific order I should watch it in?


When I say overall series, that includes VN, games, LN, Anime, etc. As for the anime:

1.) Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (Also known as When They Cry)
2.) Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai (When they Cry 2)
3.) Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei (Saikoroshi-hen arc is the only one you should watch)
*Skip Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kira* (It's terribad)

If you haven't had your fill, there is a successor called Umineko no Naku Koro ni, also called When They Cry 3. (There are connections at the end of Kai and Saikoroshi-hen). Personally, I don't think it's as good, but it's still worth watching, better if you can find the manga.
13652 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
こ ~ じ ~ か
Offline
Posted 5/7/15 , edited 5/7/15

lambofgenesis wrote:

I stopped watching only 3 or so eps from completion.

When everything gets cleared up, and you understand the truth of why everything is happening... there was this order:



Nah I thought that whole thing was brilliant and made it much more interesting.


MightyMidgit wrote:

*Skip Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kira* (It's terribad)


Dem's fightin' words boy.
14947 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Massachusetts
Offline
Posted 5/7/15
If anyone's interested the VN is going to start being released on Steam soon. the anime can be hard to track down
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.