First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply fairy tail season 1 removed.
5841 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 5/12/15

eclair-lumiere wrote:



I don't know what Spotify is. And although it is good that you later bought the dvd's, in general streaming services like Crunchyroll are bad for the dvd industry because they encourage people to stream stuff rather than buy hard copies.


Spotify is essentially one of the original Free/Paid streaming models but for music. I will let you make up your own mind on it anyway.

I don't think physical media sales will stop but as more and more people turn to on demand type services, it is unfortunate that traditional formats will fall by the wayside, so companies are now trying to encourage consumers to do both by offering exclusive content with physical sales or special editions etc. There will be a point when equilibrium is met between streaming and traditional formats though so it isn't the end of the road for the production companies, not yet anyway.

At least the issue has people talking about it, that's somewhat of a silver lining.
13 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 4/2/16

eclair-lumiere wrote:


namealreadytaken wrote:


eclair-lumiere wrote:Simple solution. BUY THE DVD's!

i like how you urge people to spend $60 and more to be able to watch a few episodes which were available before, or about $240 for the whole thing, while you yourself don't even spend money and watch it for free, through CR

of course, buying the DVD/BD is an option - the most expensive one
anyways, netflix and a funimation subscription seems the way to go for now.
maybe CR will sort this out and it'll become available again later.


Actually, i don't watch anything on CR. I disagree with what it stands for, because it is basically moving away from hard copies. Again, netflix is doing the same thing. That isn't helping the anime industry at all.

I buy the DVDs and only watch anime for free if it isn't yet available in my country. Even then, if it later comes out to my country, i buy it despite having already watching I'm in the UK and i think the dvds are affordable. Furthermore, you in the USA may have tons of choice of anime on netflix but we don't.


I usually try to stay out of these things but unfortunately, as you seem to be terribly misinformed upon the importance and effects of on-demand streaming services, I'm compelled to explain this.

Yes, the sales of physical media has reduced substantially over the past number of years, however, this is due to the massive shift in focus from 'traditional' media to digital media. Streaming services - such as CR and Netflix - has become increasingly popular because of this.

We live in a time were less and less people watch programs as they are aired on TV due to the rigid, inflexible scheduling of such programming, instead opting to use on-demand streaming services that allow them to watch their favourite shows at a time that suits them. These services are essentially another form of TV that is simply more flexible and highly consumer friendly.

CR specifically is aiming to increase the popularity and availability of anime worldwide and to help improve syndication of the shows aired in Japan with what is available elsewhere. In this regard, CR are doing a wonderful job (Netflix too, their selection of anime in the UK is actually impressive).

It is wrong to assume that if people are streaming shows and movies, they are financially damaging the industries that created the content, especially if they where streamed from legitimate sites. Yes, physical sales may have gone down, but a lot of shows and movies can be purchased digitally as well and making it easier to view shows and movies only serves to encourage and increase the sales of these productions later down the line - whether it be physical or digital is of little consequence - as well as other related merchandise.

It was once feared that TV would be the end of Hollywood and the big-budget blockbusters, but alas, they are still here and bigger than ever, the same will hold true of the anime industry. Unless something happens to lessen the popularity of anime within Japanese borders, we can be safe in the assumption that it's not going anywhere and neither are DVDs.
10228 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / United Kingdom
Offline
Posted 4/22/16



I usually try to stay out of these things but unfortunately, as you seem to be terribly misinformed upon the importance and effects of on-demand streaming services, I'm compelled to explain this.

Yes, the sales of physical media has reduced substantially over the past number of years, however, this is due to the massive shift in focus from 'traditional' media to digital media. Streaming services - such as CR and Netflix - has become increasingly popular because of this.

We live in a time were less and less people watch programs as they are aired on TV due to the rigid, inflexible scheduling of such programming, instead opting to use on-demand streaming services that allow them to watch their favourite shows at a time that suits them. These services are essentially another form of TV that is simply more flexible and highly consumer friendly.

CR specifically is aiming to increase the popularity and availability of anime worldwide and to help improve syndication of the shows aired in Japan with what is available elsewhere. In this regard, CR are doing a wonderful job (Netflix too, their selection of anime in the UK is actually impressive).

It is wrong to assume that if people are streaming shows and movies, they are financially damaging the industries that created the content, especially if they where streamed from legitimate sites. Yes, physical sales may have gone down, but a lot of shows and movies can be purchased digitally as well and making it easier to view shows and movies only serves to encourage and increase the sales of these productions later down the line - whether it be physical or digital is of little consequence - as well as other related merchandise.

It was once feared that TV would be the end of Hollywood and the big-budget blockbusters, but alas, they are still here and bigger than ever, the same will hold true of the anime industry. Unless something happens to lessen the popularity of anime within Japanese borders, we can be safe in the assumption that it's not going anywhere and neither are DVDs.



Well, that is complete rubbish. You're telling me that people watching limitless anime for a tiny monthly subscription price as opposed to the much heftier DVD costs isn't damaging the industry?

So, people are no longer paying £20 and upwards for a box set. They are now paying just £6 a month. Yeah...I'm sure the Japanese are thrilled about that.
Der Zoodirektor
23425 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Germany
Offline
Posted 4/22/16

eclair-lumiere wrote:
Well, that is complete rubbish. You're telling me that people watching limitless anime for a tiny monthly subscription price as opposed to the much heftier DVD costs isn't damaging the industry?

So, people are no longer paying £20 and upwards for a box set. They are now paying just £6 a month. Yeah...I'm sure the Japanese are thrilled about that.


You have to keep in mind that you will tap into a much larger potential user base with a cheaper offer. The number of customers who can afford a relatively cheap monthly subscription is higher than the number of customers who will regularly buy content on discs that are freshly out on the market. Sales of discs are stagnant, if not decreasing, while the streaming market is reliably growing.

Streaming also does not have a second hand market undermining the sales of "first hand" products.
The Wise Wizard
100963 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Offline
Posted 4/22/16

eclair-lumiere wrote:

Well, that is complete rubbish. You're telling me that people watching limitless anime for a tiny monthly subscription price as opposed to the much heftier DVD costs isn't damaging the industry?

So, people are no longer paying £20 and upwards for a box set. They are now paying just £6 a month. Yeah...I'm sure the Japanese are thrilled about that.

Your argument appears to be based on the assumption that people that once purchased physical media have now stopped and only stream, and that those who stream once purchased physical media on a regular basis. If you ask people, I am confident you'll find neither is true for the majority.

First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.