First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Opinions
75432 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 5/8/15
Math. There is only one way to do math but people on the internet insist on being wrong even concepts like order of operations (grade school math) are explained to them. It honestly frightens me. Are these people calculating medication dosages or programing the computer that cuts my cheques?
5727 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19
Offline
Posted 5/8/15
Ooh, man, you can post ANYTHING on tumblr, and those people will believe it.
Posted 5/8/15
Some people have a strong opinion about my hobby(not anime) and they always look at me as if I was an alien or something. No matter what i tell them, they will not accept it.
11505 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/8/15

PurpleDjango wrote:

Too many people these days are believing that just because they read something on the internet it is automatically true.

I don't know how many times I've posted my opinion on something, and 15-20 people tell me I am wrong and give me a reason why with a link to an article that is completely wrong.

Another thing is people automatically think their opinions are fact, an opinion is only your point-of-view, nothing more until you put proven facts behind it. This is a major reason why we didn't have the knowledge we have now, years ago. People would automatically dismiss what scientist/discoverers would say, just because they have a different opinion/belief on that subject. (Expample: Galileo's works were burned and banned from the Roman Catholic Church due to them being with opposition to their beliefs and being heretical.)

Have you ever been told you were wrong, and actually been right? And did they dismiss it even when you gave proof?
If so post below.

Keep this thread free of insults, no flame war. And this is not a debate.


I think people who make the statement: "on the internet" about anything at all... probably don't use the computer/internet a lot.

I mean, I find that anything and everything you need to know is on the internet (whoah I just contradicted myself (see above)) - it's just that you have to make sure your sites are reliable.

If you have a question, just google it. Even if the top result is Yahoo! Answers, don't go by ONE answer, but check out other pages asking the same question, if all the top answers are the same, it's 99% probably the true correct answer. Especially since most/some of those "best picks" are from certified people (doctors,lawyers,nurses,etc.)

And if you're still iffy about the Yahoo! Answers, then what I do is open up news articles answering the question, or if it's a medical thing, I just open up the next WebMD result... then I check the health forums... usually all of them have the same answer too. I usually go with majority opinion.

A recent example of this is like one-two weeks ago. I took off my contact in my one eye. Felt like it was still in there. Thought I'd sleep it off, I woke up and it was really dry! I started panicking, wondering if there was some unknown contact in there. So I went to Google on how to remove a stuck contact. Unanimously, on WebMD and forums, and eye professional sites/blogs, they stated: "You can't ever get your contact stuck in your eye because blahblah, continuous sclera, can't happen. Impossible." Then I looked up "why is my one eye dry" and came up with results for Dry Eye Syndrome. Wasn't happy with that diagnosis, so I dug deeper, found a blog written by a very articulate writer describing her almost exact experience. (except she kept touching and touching her eye, and then washing and washing.... and just like Higurashi, I kept reading to see if she finally plucked her eye out (true story)). Well the blogger went to the doctor, doctor said there /was/ something stuck in her eye---her eye. She literally had blisters on her eye just like we have blisters on our skin (because her eye was too dry). The doctor recommended that she not wear contacts in that eye for 2 weeks, and to take eye drops.

I was seriously considering going to the doctor before reading that blog :D. But then, read the blog, calmed down, in 2 days, my eye was back to normal :D. SO YES, if you're smart about googling - all the answers are on the internet and they're 90-99% correct.

Only seldom have I never found the answer on the internet. Recently this has happened, oddly enough :D. One of my family members didn't know they were driving with a suspended license. They got a citation, they wanted to know how much. Yahoo! and other forums said $500-$700. But, irl the mechanic said $200. We called the court and they had no idea.... great. SO, We'll have to see if the internet is right or wrong!

When is the internet wrong? When you literally go OUT OF YOUR WAY, to skip all the credible google results, click on some random Paintball forum, and some dude "who typ3s lyk dis" posts advice about how to fix your engine. And if you take his advice for truth, and don't bother to take a few more seconds to look for a second/third opinion.

tl;dr: internet is right, go by majority opinion, use your head (credible sites).
999 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Online
Posted 5/8/15
the thing that gets me is when some people try to invalidate your opinions or statement of facts because you misspelled a word. Do you honestly expect me to believe that the Germans didn't bomb Pearl Harbor because I misspelled "apiskapalian"?
39137 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / San Francisco Bay...
Offline
Posted 5/8/15 , edited 5/8/15
I have strong opinions; I won't deny that.

That doesn't mean I don't want to be proven wrong; rather, only concrete facts change my mind. Likewise, when I see people ignoring concrete facts, yes I often think they are making an ill-informed opinion. They're wrong inasmuch as they are contradicting concrete observable evidence to preserve their opinion. However, it's not that I think my opinion is *fact*, rather, I think my opinion is based on a stronger foundation and that I would want them to address either why my foundation (i.e. the evidence I have) or my logic is wrong.

Are there times when I've been told I was wrong and I was right? Sure, probably. But there's also probably been as many instances I told someone they were wrong and they were right. I don't think being right/wrong is important; rather the exchange of ideas and being able to communicate what the other person may not have thought of is more important than simply being right/wrong.


___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If I do link people to an article (which I sometimes do), it's often because I find that article is much better at conceiving a particular thesis, and either I'd regurgitate what that article would say or that article contains more information than is worth presenting. This article provides a good example (http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/helium/zircons.html): most of it is long and extremely focused yet, for most people, the essential criticisms can be summarized in a few sentences. They're the type of thing you'd link as "for further reference," simply because 90% of the people won't care about every detail.

PS: Try *not* to make this a discussion about the specifics talkorigins article I linked. I'm only linking to it because very long and very focused; the content itself isn't what I'm interested in discussing.
35035 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 5/8/15

PurpleDjango wrote:

Too many people these days are believing that just because they read something on the internet it is automatically true.


You're right, not all things one reads are automatically true. Some are manual shift true.


I don't know how many times I've posted my opinion on something, and 15-20 people tell me I am wrong and give me a reason why with a link to an article that is completely wrong.


No, no, no. You're so obviously wrong, and if you read the following brief explanation you'll see that quite plainly.




Another thing is people automatically think their opinions are fact, an opinion is only your point-of-view, nothing more until you put proven facts behind it.


It is a fact that it is my opinion that I am always right.


This is a major reason why we didn't have the knowledge we have now, years ago. People would automatically dismiss what scientist/discoverers would say, just because they have a different opinion/belief on that subject. (Expample: Galileo's works were burned and banned from the Roman Catholic Church due to them being with opposition to their beliefs and being heretical.)


PFFT. Typical historian. Am I right, everyone? You know I am.


Have you ever been told you were wrong, and actually been right? And did they dismiss it even when you gave proof?
If so post below.


I don't think I can even answer this without either violating site rules or violating the standards of good taste save for in one way: yep. Been there, done that. Don't care. It's the internet. You can never be sure someone isn't just screwing with you.


Keep this thread free of insults, no flame war. And this is not a debate.


Oh, yeah? Well, I dispute that this thread isn't a debate thread. The debate has begun! Sound the horn!

In all sincerity, though: you really shouldn't take things too hard around here, or too seriously. Don't let it get you mad, don't let it make you sad.
17307 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / My Couch
Offline
Posted 5/8/15


But seriously. Sometimes people just don't want to accept that their belief is the one and only truth. Then there are cases where you might believe in something they hate.

This video is pretty interesting in how it characterizes ideas like opinions https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rE3j_RHkqJc

The burning desire to spread an angry thought is triggered by the appearance of a disagreeable opinion.
19921 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / A town called "Ci...
Offline
Posted 5/8/15
Posted 5/8/15
If 15-20 people are disagreeing with you, you're definitely doing something wrong.

That is a fact.
5064 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 5/9/15

lambofgenesis wrote:


PurpleDjango wrote:

Too many people these days are believing that just because they read something on the internet it is automatically true.

I don't know how many times I've posted my opinion on something, and 15-20 people tell me I am wrong and give me a reason why with a link to an article that is completely wrong.

Another thing is people automatically think their opinions are fact, an opinion is only your point-of-view, nothing more until you put proven facts behind it. This is a major reason why we didn't have the knowledge we have now, years ago. People would automatically dismiss what scientist/discoverers would say, just because they have a different opinion/belief on that subject. (Expample: Galileo's works were burned and banned from the Roman Catholic Church due to them being with opposition to their beliefs and being heretical.)

Have you ever been told you were wrong, and actually been right? And did they dismiss it even when you gave proof?
If so post below.

Keep this thread free of insults, no flame war. And this is not a debate.


I think people who make the statement: "on the internet" about anything at all... probably don't use the computer/internet a lot.

I mean, I find that anything and everything you need to know is on the internet (whoah I just contradicted myself (see above)) - it's just that you have to make sure your sites are reliable.

If you have a question, just google it. Even if the top result is Yahoo! Answers, don't go by ONE answer, but check out other pages asking the same question, if all the top answers are the same, it's 99% probably the true correct answer. Especially since most/some of those "best picks" are from certified people (doctors,lawyers,nurses,etc.)

And if you're still iffy about the Yahoo! Answers, then what I do is open up news articles answering the question, or if it's a medical thing, I just open up the next WebMD result... then I check the health forums... usually all of them have the same answer too. I usually go with majority opinion.

A recent example of this is like one-two weeks ago. I took off my contact in my one eye. Felt like it was still in there. Thought I'd sleep it off, I woke up and it was really dry! I started panicking, wondering if there was some unknown contact in there. So I went to Google on how to remove a stuck contact. Unanimously, on WebMD and forums, and eye professional sites/blogs, they stated: "You can't ever get your contact stuck in your eye because blahblah, continuous sclera, can't happen. Impossible." Then I looked up "why is my one eye dry" and came up with results for Dry Eye Syndrome. Wasn't happy with that diagnosis, so I dug deeper, found a blog written by a very articulate writer describing her almost exact experience. (except she kept touching and touching her eye, and then washing and washing.... and just like Higurashi, I kept reading to see if she finally plucked her eye out (true story)). Well the blogger went to the doctor, doctor said there /was/ something stuck in her eye---her eye. She literally had blisters on her eye just like we have blisters on our skin (because her eye was too dry). The doctor recommended that she not wear contacts in that eye for 2 weeks, and to take eye drops.

I was seriously considering going to the doctor before reading that blog :D. But then, read the blog, calmed down, in 2 days, my eye was back to normal :D. SO YES, if you're smart about googling - all the answers are on the internet and they're 90-99% correct.

Only seldom have I never found the answer on the internet. Recently this has happened, oddly enough :D. One of my family members didn't know they were driving with a suspended license. They got a citation, they wanted to know how much. Yahoo! and other forums said $500-$700. But, irl the mechanic said $200. We called the court and they had no idea.... great. SO, We'll have to see if the internet is right or wrong!

When is the internet wrong? When you literally go OUT OF YOUR WAY, to skip all the credible google results, click on some random Paintball forum, and some dude "who typ3s lyk dis" posts advice about how to fix your engine. And if you take his advice for truth, and don't bother to take a few more seconds to look for a second/third opinion.

tl;dr: internet is right, go by majority opinion, use your head (credible sites).


Many sites are hold false reports, or opinions without proof, and many people use them to prove their point.
Also your "on the internet" opinion about anyone who uses that term doesn't use a computer a lot, is wrong..
I use that term and I'm on my computer 4-6 hours a day..
5064 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 5/9/15

BlueOni wrote:


PurpleDjango wrote:

Too many people these days are believing that just because they read something on the internet it is automatically true.


You're right, not all things one reads are automatically true. Some are manual shift true.


I don't know how many times I've posted my opinion on something, and 15-20 people tell me I am wrong and give me a reason why with a link to an article that is completely wrong.


No, no, no. You're so obviously wrong, and if you read the following brief explanation you'll see that quite plainly.




Another thing is people automatically think their opinions are fact, an opinion is only your point-of-view, nothing more until you put proven facts behind it.


It is a fact that it is my opinion that I am always right.


This is a major reason why we didn't have the knowledge we have now, years ago. People would automatically dismiss what scientist/discoverers would say, just because they have a different opinion/belief on that subject. (Expample: Galileo's works were burned and banned from the Roman Catholic Church due to them being with opposition to their beliefs and being heretical.)


PFFT. Typical historian. Am I right, everyone? You know I am.


Have you ever been told you were wrong, and actually been right? And did they dismiss it even when you gave proof?
If so post below.


I don't think I can even answer this without either violating site rules or violating the standards of good taste save for in one way: yep. Been there, done that. Don't care. It's the internet. You can never be sure someone isn't just screwing with you.


Keep this thread free of insults, no flame war. And this is not a debate.


Oh, yeah? Well, I dispute that this thread isn't a debate thread. The debate has begun! Sound the horn!

In all sincerity, though: you really shouldn't take things too hard around here, or too seriously. Don't let it get you mad, don't let it make you sad.


You could of just trolled me with a GIF or a picture like everyone else?
But you had to get creative... Lol kind of funny though.
Posted 5/9/15 , edited 5/9/15
What's so wrong about being wrong? O.o

You sound like the exact same people you're complaining about, just so you know. You just want to prove that you're right... which is pretty much what those people are also trying to do.

Oh the irony.
42447 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 5/9/15 , edited 4/28/16
Opinions are tricky. Humanity is weird.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.