First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
Are light skinned people treated better?
27705 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / TX
Offline
Posted 5/8/15

cleruninja wrote:

See, you live in NYC, that makes sense. Unfortunately, if you visited Kansas, it wouldn't take long for you to see bigotry still exists.


I wouldn't hold New York as the friendliest city either it doesn't matter were you go you will find idiots anywhere.
Case and point
New York
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJbtrvV_Wig
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGiVX9uVB3I

Australia
News story of 3 teens killing white guy just for kicks
http://dailycaller.com/2013/08/20/black-teens-murder-white-australian-jogger-for-sport/
Curious to get you opinion on this
I agree with this guy 100%
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9ObkdEah3g
49109 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/8/15

piratequeen369 wrote:


pirththee wrote:

Light skinned people are definitely discriminated against when it comes to the ill effects from the rays of our nearest star.


Lol, that is true. Always feel sorry for light-skinned people, they step for a few minutes and then they get a sun burn. It's the strangest thing to me. Never got a sun burn in my life and I only found out recently that you're apparently supposed to wear sunscreen when you go to the beach.


I worked with a guy named Harlan and he always use to laugh at me about the precautions I'd take to protect my dead Pilchard white skin. I'd putty loads of sun screen on my skin as if in preparation for an imminent coronal mass ejection event and still get red.
16390 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Arizona, US
Offline
Posted 5/9/15
As a white person, I honestly think I get treated normally. I can't say for other places though. I've never thought of myself as anything superior or whatever. Only as a human being. I think it is dumb to judge others based on skin color, because really, that's just your physical appearance. Your character and personality should be what truly matters the most.
2360 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / The Bay
Online
Posted 5/9/15
I'm not white, I'm 25% black, 25% Chinese, 25% Korean, 1/8 Irish, and 1/8 Italian and i'm tan but, I don't feel like white people have any more rights than anyone else. I will say I live in the California Bay Area so its highly diverse here. I've never had any problems ever with anyone about skin color. The majority of people I'm friends with are white, and their ages range from 14-65, so its not like its the younger generation. I even have white people funding my dreams and future, they're even investing large sums of money into me to help me make my dreams a reality. I truly think it's more about how you act and dress than your skin color. I dress fairly nice and I talk like a respectable human being, not like some ghetto hood scum piece of sh*t. So, I've literally never faced any type of discrimination in anything I've done.

I know this isn't everyone but I'll use how the black people act at my school as an example. Do you really think that anyone's gonna respect you or want to help you if you're going around being loud, obnoxious and disrespecting everyone? All I hear is "Nigga" this "Bruh" that and all these derogatory comments about "Crackers" and "White people being below them". The comments aren't even centered towards me but, piss me off like none other. I remember a few weeks ago our teacher made a joke about one of these guys and my friend, who is white, laughed at it. Next thing I know this one black guys all saying he's gonna beat my friends ass for being a disrespectful little white boy(the thing is, my friend wasn't the only one to laugh...). So obviously I defend my friend. Then this guy f*cking tells me to stand up and fight him or he gonna come over to me and beat my ass also. So I laugh and tell him that he's trying to act tough and that there is no way he would ever kill us, because he was acting like he was going to kill us or something. Then, the teacher finally notices what up then puts a stop to this moron's "act" and he sits down still in pissed off mode. Which I'm kinda happy about because if this guy actually tried to walk up and "beat my ass" I had an iron ballpoint pen hidden in my palm that I was all set to drive through his windpipe.

You want to know the truth about this "Gangster"? He actually comes from a well off family but, since he's black and wants to fit in with the "black crowd" he purposely acts like some poor guy that grew up on the streets by talking the most ghetto slang, hating on cops, trying to act tough by fighting, and doing a ridiculous amount of drugs. The sad thing is, he isn't the only one, there are a decent number of black people at my school that do this. And when they go home though they turn back into Mr. Goody Two Shoes so their family doesn't find out. So then I ask, even if skin color does play a role in discrimination, why does it seem that these people are literally throwing away a promising future for themselves and the image of their skin color so they can seem cool among each other? Or even, why is it cool to be stupid and a criminal in their society? I know there's people that are actually really poor and would kill for an opportunity in life like these people are throwing away. I fail to see the appeal of being a poor delinquent.

So is it really racism and the color of your skin? Or is it fear of the majority and the pure hatred of people that some people posses? I know people who would discriminate just on fear because they're nervous about the people going up to their establishment. If you heard stories of things people like them have done would you really take your chances that these guys wouldn't be one of the ones that will cause issues, the different ones. I know that if we had white trash rednecks it the large cities like we do gangsters that they would be discriminated just as much because people wouldn't want someone like that around either.

I guess what I'm trying say is, yes, skin color can play a role in your privileges, but not as much as your image. If your going around fitting the bill on what people don't trust/ want the you'll be discriminated against no matter your skin color. And if your being discriminated against, don't discriminate back. You'll only create a wall of hatred and racism among the groups.

If you read this, thanks for reading. I'll be happy to debate anything that I missed, which will probably be a lot since its 3 AM and I've been typing this for an hour.



That's literally beyond idiotic. They're willing to gun down a random guy just because he looks like someone they wouldn't like? That's so stupid I can barely comprehend what's going on. People like that are the ones we should round up and massacre in the groups.
Posted 5/9/15
"I won't accept that, but I won't deny it either."

20695 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / Kansas
Offline
Posted 5/9/15

J-POP187 wrote:

New York
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJbtrvV_Wig
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGiVX9uVB3I

Australia
News story of 3 teens killing white guy just for kicks
http://dailycaller.com/2013/08/20/black-teens-murder-white-australian-jogger-for-sport/
Curious to get you opinion on this
I agree with this guy 100%
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9ObkdEah3g

Slight deviation from the topic, but I see your point. While I would say light skinned people are generally treated better, obviously there are environments where it is disadvantageous to be white.
Case in point: There is a korean restaurant not far from where I live. The service there is awful. Blatantly preferential. Though, to be honest, I think any non-Korean race would fare little better.
As far as "nigga" goes. I think that word bothering people is just an internet thing. I used to say "my nigga" quite a lot. As long as you're careful not to say it with the "er" ending, most people aren't offended. Save white, middle-class "social justice warriors"
Posted 5/9/15 , edited 5/9/15

cleruninja wrote:

Slight deviation from the topic, but I see your point. While I would say light skinned people are generally treated better, obviously there are environments where it is disadvantageous to be white.
Case in point: There is a korean restaurant not far from where I live. The service there is awful. Blatantly preferential. Though, to be honest, I think any non-Korean race would fare little better.
As far as "nigga" goes. I think that word bothering people is just an internet thing. I used to say "my nigga" quite a lot. As long as you're careful not to say it with the "er" ending, most people aren't offended. Save white, middle-class "social justice warriors"


Person's preferential treatment depended on and realized exogenously, no?

Pretty sad.

20695 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / Kansas
Offline
Posted 5/9/15 , edited 5/9/15

Kerst wrote:


cleruninja wrote:

See, you live in NYC, that makes sense. Unfortunately, if you visited Kansas, it wouldn't take long for you to see bigotry still exists.


Alabama, Texas, and Mississippi are all way worse especially if you're gay aswell.
The racism even extend to your name.

I am fair skinned because I do everything I can to be "pale" I wear light makeup and always wear sunscreen when I go outside along with long sleeves to prevent tanning, but when people learn my name I get treated diffrently.

That's awful. No one should feel they have to hide their race. I'm 3/16 native American, I don't have to hide it, it's simply unnoticeable. Whenever the topic comes up and someone finds out, I have had some rather demeaning remarks made.
The worst may have been when someone said something like "You guys are just sore losers. We fought cos you tried to cheat us out of the land after you agreed to trade it to us!"
Referring to the natives who supposedly traded America for some glass beads. As if they even had the authority to do so on behalf of all the tribes in all the land.

Manifest destiny can suck it.
I mean, sure, I'm pretty much white, but still.
18767 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / London
Offline
Posted 5/9/15
Always depends where you live, if you live in Cities like London which is multicultural less racism would be there, however in places with a smaller multicultural society, more racism would reside
2051 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 5/9/15
The Privilege is that you're treated as a normal person.
Here is an example:
I'm a tall, skinny, black guy that is light. I speak proper english like anyone whom payed attention in school. EVERY FUCKING TIME some one white, and sometimes asian hear me speak they say "Where did you learn to speak so proper!?" like they found a talking dog, I mean these people are fucking astonished that I speak as they do. I'm not treated as equals based off their statements and actions.
Don't even get me started on people that are darker than me.
Posted 5/9/15 , edited 5/9/15
I'm not necessarily light skinned (white), but people love me, are always very nice to me, and I get free stuff all the time so... *shrug*
19089 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 5/9/15
As a city kid who moved to the suburbs in his late teens, I disagree with the premise being racism or xenophobia. I think it has a lot more to do with people not liking outsiders. Even though the suburbs were forty minutes away from the city I moved there from, the "old families" still tried to run us out of town because we were new there. I also feel it has a lot to do with the culture barrier between ethnicities, white people understand white culture, black people understand black culture, and every shade in between has their own set of customs. Typically these result from heritage and ancestral customs, but not always. With all of the controversy going on about this right now (citation, the title of this thread hurr hurr) I would honestly suggest that a lot of the different treatment people receive actually comes from these sorts of issues being completely overblown. If you're a white person being told that you're a racist no matter what you do, and that you need to watch out for that, then you'll spend all of your time avoiding interaction with other races so that you don't incite the wraith of those who would label you a bigot.

Since we're on a site dedicated to anime, let's actually talk about japanese culture for a second. The japanese are notoriously xenophobic, yet it's white people who get a bad rap for "cultural appropriation" by watching anime and foreign films. White women in Anime are typically portrayed as overly busty airheads, and ffs Mr. Popo from DBZ is actually a fairly common depiction of black people in anime. You must also examine the cultural portrayal of POCs in America, eg rap culture. Whtie people get flak for country music, black people get crap for rap, and whether you're hispanic, latino, or spanish, you would still get crap about Mariachi

I honestly believe that it's not a matter of anyone being treated better or worse because of their heritage or skin color, I think it has a lot more to do with niche cultures that aren't fully assimilated having a cultural barrier, and that even interacting with other people puts everyone involved at risk of saying something unintentionally offensive. The atmosphere turns oppressive and heistant at that point, and everyone's a bigot to everyone they have trouble relating to from the perspective of the person being "offended" in spite of the fact that by claiming to be underprivileged in a society that promotes progressivism invokes the all-powerful label machine and invites the social ignominy it's known for.

TL;DR I don't think anyone's oppressed by anything other than the fact that everything's considered bigotry these days, and the fear of the weight of everyone thinking you're a bigot makes it seem really dangerous to just sit down and talk to people. We live in a society of radicalists, and the majority of society is now the bad guy just for being the majority. I fret for the day that I have "Engineers privilege" for knowing how to fix my own computer....
19089 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 5/9/15
Again, cultural barriers. Look at what is put out for/by POCs in pop culture. That's not white people putting it out there, friend. I'm a white guy who can name off more white rappers than I have white friends who don't think that all rap is made by Lil' John.
Posted 5/9/15

severticas wrote:

"I won't accept that, but I won't deny it either."



Ambiguity
Posted 5/9/15

AiYumega wrote:


severticas wrote:

"I won't accept that, but I won't deny it either."



Ambiguity


Are you lost?
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.