Post Reply Record of Lodoss War OVA
39814 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M
Offline
Posted 5/9/15
My bold opinion that nothing rivals Record of Lodoss War OVA in terms of quality. 24 years later and Record of Lodoss War OVA still looks and sounds freaking gorgeous.

https://www.facebook.com/WishsongX/videos/863351440404737/
21709 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 5/9/15

Legendzerox wrote:

My bold opinion that nothing rivals Record of Lodoss War OVA in terms of quality. 24 years later and Record of Lodoss War OVA still looks and sounds freaking gorgeous.

https://www.facebook.com/WishsongX/videos/863351440404737/


Definitely agree with that Statement, Art Design is epic, especially Pirotess, and all the Dragons.
39814 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M
Offline
Posted 5/10/15

Series5Ranger wrote:


Legendzerox wrote:

My bold opinion that nothing rivals Record of Lodoss War OVA in terms of quality. 24 years later and Record of Lodoss War OVA still looks and sounds freaking gorgeous.

https://www.facebook.com/WishsongX/videos/863351440404737/


Definitely agree with that Statement, Art Design is epic, especially Pirotess, and all the Dragons.


If there was one anime that everyone who calls themselves Otaku should watch, its this one.
11916 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / Charlotte, NC
Offline
Posted 5/11/15 , edited 5/11/15

Legendzerox wrote:



If there was one anime that everyone who calls themselves Otaku should watch, its this one.


Well this was a true statement.................... in 1995. Maybe still valid in 2000.... but now? I think it's safe to say this anime is long forgotten. I'm a bit surprised you have this opinion- delighted and hopeful at the same time- surprised. When I saw this topic pop up the first thing I thought was "how long has CR been around?" and, "this must be some old thread from at least 2005 that someone went and replied to"
You're making me dig out my ancient collection DVD that I bought used many years ago and haven't rewatched in a long time. I don't remember it being the best sounding ever, that accolade goes to Bubblegum Crisis. But it is probably the best Medieval fantasy world. Oh how I recall all those Deedlit fan pages on the old Geocities back in the college days
I didn't watch it back then, but I eventually bought it because, everyone said it really was essential for any otaku. I had to see what all the fuss was about.
I think most younger fans would be turned off by it today, it's traditional cell animation and nobody likes that. And the character designs aren't generic cutesie enough. I wish those dragons had been properly animated. Well at least the first one was...


2066 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
41 / M / Austin, TX.
Offline
Posted 5/11/15
I can harken back to the late 90s when video stores would sell less popular videos in the budget bins for like 99 cents. I was one of those bottom feeding cretins that hunted down value like no other, and having grown up in East TN I didn't have much competition for anime. So I can fondly remember scooping this up for 99 cents a pop then. I can also remember renting this as well, so I put in the time and the money to appreciate perfection. So this is indeed one of the cream of the crop, in my not so humble opinion.
70012 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / USA
Online
Posted 5/11/15 , edited 5/11/15
I love this series if only for the art style. I've never seen anything else quite like it.
27451 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / USA! USA! USA!
Offline
Posted 5/11/15
Slayers is better.
22406 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / CR Forums
Online
Posted 5/11/15
I honestly didn't like the animation style. It's so....80's......

But I also love the setting, the characters, the general design of some characters(and a hatred of design of some others)

It's a wierd thing.


I also hate how it's not in print and I'll never get to see some glorious dvd copies.
70012 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / USA
Online
Posted 5/11/15 , edited 5/11/15

Felstalker wrote:

I also hate how it's not in print and I'll never get to see some glorious dvd copies.

The blu-ray rips are pretty grand.
39814 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M
Offline
Posted 5/12/15 , edited 5/12/15

KingKaio wrote:


Legendzerox wrote:



If there was one anime that everyone who calls themselves Otaku should watch, its this one.


Well this was a true statement.................... in 1995. Maybe still valid in 2000.... but now? I think it's safe to say this anime is long forgotten. I'm a bit surprised you have this opinion- delighted and hopeful at the same time- surprised. When I saw this topic pop up the first thing I thought was "how long has CR been around?" and, "this must be some old thread from at least 2005 that someone went and replied to"
You're making me dig out my ancient collection DVD that I bought used many years ago and haven't rewatched in a long time. I don't remember it being the best sounding ever, that accolade goes to Bubblegum Crisis. But it is probably the best Medieval fantasy world. Oh how I recall all those Deedlit fan pages on the old Geocities back in the college days
I didn't watch it back then, but I eventually bought it because, everyone said it really was essential for any otaku. I had to see what all the fuss was about.
I think most younger fans would be turned off by it today, it's traditional cell animation and nobody likes that. And the character designs aren't generic cutesie enough. I wish those dragons had been properly animated. Well at least the first one was...




Geocities... The feels remembering that. God I'm old.
56905 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Planet Sanno
Offline
Posted 5/12/15

Legendzerox wrote:
Geocities... The feels remembering that. God I'm old.


Ah, the days of sifting through the Oldternet to find images of shows like these!



But, yes, the Lodoss OAVs are an old favorite, though I've never owned them; I watched them on a DVD set I borrowed from a good friend, and I've not really seen them since, alas. Pretty sure they were distributed by U.S. Manga Corps, meaning that they're long out of print. (I might be wrong on the distributor, but the DVDs are almost impossible to find now.)

And the less said about the TV show, the better.
You must be logged in to post.