First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply Why Don't you like Pop?
18714 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Arizona
Offline
Posted 5/11/15

piratequeen369 wrote:


karmawimps wrote:

Depends on the era since pop comes in all flavors..I mean, who doesn't like The Beatles?


A lot of people don't like The Beatles, their music is tedious to listen to, it's boring. I don't like how because The Beatles are treated like something sent from heaven their music is regarded highly. I can't willingly listen to a minute of any of their songs.


right...but what I was trying to get across is that "pop" just means popular. I over-generalized using The Beatles because they featured different genres of music compared to our modern-day style of pop. It was meant to be somewhat ironic, to put the flexibility of pop, in terms of the genre itself, into perspective.
I'm not saying "Everybody's gotta like The Beatles...". Just using one of the popular guys as an example. I mean, of course you're going to get hate if you're popular. It's part of the package. When a person/group becomes labeled as "pop", it means, to me at least, that they're doing something right, whether it be a catchy chorus and beat where everybody could sing along or just straight up marketing or a combination of the two, etc.
869 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / London
Offline
Posted 5/11/15

karmawimps wrote:


piratequeen369 wrote:


karmawimps wrote:

Depends on the era since pop comes in all flavors..I mean, who doesn't like The Beatles?


A lot of people don't like The Beatles, their music is tedious to listen to, it's boring. I don't like how because The Beatles are treated like something sent from heaven their music is regarded highly. I can't willingly listen to a minute of any of their songs.


right...but what I was trying to get across is that "pop" just means popular. I over-generalized using The Beatles because they featured different genres of music compared to our modern-day style of pop. It was meant to be somewhat ironic, to put the flexibility of pop, in terms of the genre itself, into perspective.
I'm not saying "Everybody's gotta like The Beatles...". Just using one of the popular guys as an example. I mean, of course you're going to get hate if you're popular. It's part of the package. When a person/group becomes labeled as "pop", it means, to me at least, that they're doing something right, whether it be a catchy chorus and beat where everybody could sing along or just straight up marketing or a combination of the two, etc.


Oh, ok. I just don't like it because it's just shallow and not too sophisticated, I like it when I'm hanging out with friends or at parties but I'd never listen to it on my own. To me, that's all pop is good for.
18714 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Arizona
Offline
Posted 5/11/15

piratequeen369 wrote:


karmawimps wrote:


piratequeen369 wrote:


karmawimps wrote:

Depends on the era since pop comes in all flavors..I mean, who doesn't like The Beatles?


A lot of people don't like The Beatles, their music is tedious to listen to, it's boring. I don't like how because The Beatles are treated like something sent from heaven their music is regarded highly. I can't willingly listen to a minute of any of their songs.


right...but what I was trying to get across is that "pop" just means popular. I over-generalized using The Beatles because they featured different genres of music compared to our modern-day style of pop. It was meant to be somewhat ironic, to put the flexibility of pop, in terms of the genre itself, into perspective.
I'm not saying "Everybody's gotta like The Beatles...". Just using one of the popular guys as an example. I mean, of course you're going to get hate if you're popular. It's part of the package. When a person/group becomes labeled as "pop", it means, to me at least, that they're doing something right, whether it be a catchy chorus and beat where everybody could sing along or just straight up marketing or a combination of the two, etc.


Oh, ok. I just don't like it because it's just shallow and not too sophisticated, I like it when I'm hanging out with friends or at parties but I'd never listen to it on my own. To me, that's all pop is good for.


For sure! I can definitely relate.
17065 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Fredericton, NB
Offline
Posted 5/11/15 , edited 5/11/15
Pop is okay, there's a lot of really bad stuff out there, but there is some good stuff as well, some J-pop is pretty sweet too.



_MissTake_ wrote:

I honestly thought this was about soda. I came in here with the intention of saying that it makes me burp a lot.


Not enough Canadians in this topic to get it I suppose.. I thought the same at first >< too much sugar content


2841 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Houston, Tx
Offline
Posted 5/11/15

mikey_vela wrote:

Does Taylor Swift count?
Because I love me some Taylor Swift


I think it's more country, but I think she's trying for that Pop Genre in Shake it Off?
Posted 5/11/15
Pretty much all I listen to now is under the genre of pop music.

No shame in my game.
12472 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Utopia
Offline
Posted 5/11/15

Sogno- wrote:

your version of pop and my version of pop are two different things those songs don't sound anything like the pop i call pop lol.



how dare... you are now the enemy


exactly, all the songs OP listed are not songs I would classify as pop lol. Pop would be those annoying songs on the radio that repeat the same lyrics over and over, like Katy Perry or Taylor Swift even though she calls herself country.

songs like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mp7qWfDANrU
11660 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Cali
Offline
Posted 5/11/15
I actually really got into Lady Gaga and One Direction, but it was just a few songs lol. I can't really get into pop, by itself. It usually has to be infused with someone else like rap, metal, or rock.
Posted 5/11/15 , edited 5/11/15
I get the impression that most artists on top 40 (the stuff they play ad nauseum on the radio) get their talent from expensive electronics and skilled editors. The music is formulaic over compressed and designed to appeal to the broadest audience possible. It's the junk food of music, and if you like it more power to you but I'll pass.
43982 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 5/11/15 , edited 5/11/15
Because I'm old and set in my ways. Third song is okay, good beat. Fifth song sounds like every song on the radio.
Actually euro/dance/electronic oriented pop is okay. Chromatics, Kavinsky, Susanne Sundfør, Royksopp, Robyn, stuff like that.
17181 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 5/11/15
I don't like a lot of pop because sometimes the music is screaming bloody murder....like literally. If beats had a screaming tone, they would probably sound like a typical k pop song.

BANG BANG DAH BRIGH ERR SAP DUH DAH
26821 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Chicago, IL
Offline
Posted 5/11/15

CherryDynamite8 wrote:

Some are really catchy and upbeat. Others are just annoying with meaningless lyrics. It depends on the song really.


Have to agree with your statement.
41649 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 5/11/15 , edited 5/11/15
I have a love / hate relationship with it, because while i absolutely live for commercialized crap I also LOVE unheard of oddballs who are overshadowed and underappreciated compared to the 'typical' pop artists, mostly folky or alternative ones. Though, one could arguably say that all music is a "product" and therefore "commercialized" anyway, with the intent to sell to a demographic, be it a majority or minority. While I understand that pop nowadays is kind of useless and silly, and some of it sounds the same, i indulge in it admittedly more than i should, but I also have my own odd selection. I mean, most of my tastes are pretty open, so I'd like to think.
Sogno- 
45682 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/11/15

frankvr6 wrote:


Sogno- wrote:

your version of pop and my version of pop are two different things those songs don't sound anything like the pop i call pop lol.



how dare... you are now the enemy



Is this your version of pop?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHW5RVvg2v4


Let me know if I'm still the enemy.


w-well, it's not like i can take back my claim.. that'd be uncool yo... but madonna is pretty chill... but i still got my eye on you
33359 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Socal
Offline
Posted 5/11/15

seekerperson7 wrote:

I've been spoiled by Classical since a very young age. Most pop music just doesn't "strike me". Repetition is a hallmark of all music, but most pop music just doesn't have interesting development to me personally.

And, I mean, it just feels like an entirely different level of artistry. I don't want to be one of those guys who says that classical is just better than everything (because it's not - it's just personal taste). But when I listen to one of Chopin's Ballades, or Bach's Chaconne, or Faure's Barcarolle 1, or Ravel's Sonatine, and then I hear an ordinary pop song.... it just doesn't "move me".

I've grown spoiled by having the actual music move me rather than the lyrics, and so most pop songs just have unsatisfactory melodic movement and development by comparison.

That's not to say that I dislike pop though - it's just not something you'll ever hear me listen to or enjoy.


omg yes that's exactly how I feel, I can't be moved by lyrics at all almost.

I enjoy some pop melody though, Japanese pop mostly though.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.