First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Josei anime?
12032 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / Washington
Offline
Posted 5/10/15
So I see a lack of Josei anime in the anime community. So...

What Josei animes have you seen?

What are your favorite Josei animes?

Which ones do you recommend?

Would you like to see more in the anime industry?
12032 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / Washington
Offline
Posted 5/10/15
So for me as an now adult women I would love to see more Josei in the anime world. Even though I love shoujo I also like to really relate to characters and find a lot of realism in Josei.

My favorite is definitely NANA.
10615 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Rabbit Horse
Offline
Posted 5/10/15
the only Josei i've seen are:
Natsuyuki Rendezvous, Usagi Drop and Chihayafuru. I really liked the latter one. Usagi Drop was pretty fun too ^~^
12032 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / Washington
Offline
Posted 5/10/15

namealreadytaken wrote:

the only Josei i've seen are:
Natsuyuki Rendezvous, Usagi Drop and Chihayafuru. I really liked the latter one. Usagi Drop was pretty fun too ^~^


I really loved Usagi Drop. It was the type of "Slice of Life" I really like. It made me cry more than a dozen times.
64890 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Seattle
Offline
Posted 5/10/15
There's a good reason why there isn't much in the way of josei out there because most anime watchers are guys, and that almost all josei stuff is slice-of-life stuff. It just isn't marketable. That said, josei titles tend to be great simply because there just isn't any margin for error when it comes to producing such shows, and thus only the very best get adaptations. Some great ones include Chihayafuru, Nana, Kids on the Slope, Bunny Drop, and Princess Jellyfish seeing that it's all substance and very little fluff, if any, that waters down the product.
8894 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Baltimore, Maryland
Offline
Posted 5/10/15
I've only seen NANA, don't know much josei but i tend to enjoy it more than shoujo, same goes for seinen as opposed to shonen.
4033 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 5/10/15
you really should watch chihayafuru there are 2 seasons and theyre both on CR
215251 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Anime World
Offline
Posted 5/10/15
Nana, Chihayafuru (both seasons), Usagi Drop, and Kids on the Slope are some of my favorites. Really hoping josei gets more attention these days...which sadly isn't happening.
8733 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / MI
Offline
Posted 5/10/15
I didn't know Kids on the Slope was josei... interesting. I think the only one I've seen so far is Usagi Drop which I really really loved. I can't stand shoujo anime but josei seem to be more down to earth. Honey and Clover is on my PTW list and I've heard good things about Nodame Cantabile although I can't really get into music-centered anime... I've all but dropped Shigatsu at this point. Seems there aren't many Josei series though; there's barely over a dozen under the Josei tag on MAL.
12032 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / Washington
Offline
Posted 5/10/15

stark700 wrote:

Nana, Chihayafuru (both seasons), Usagi Drop, and Kids on the Slope are some of my favorites. Really hoping josei gets more attention these days...which sadly isn't happening.


Well I do believe there is a market for it or eventual will have a market for it. I mean as a female I watched a lot of shoujo and love shoujo but I feel like I'm getting too old for a points because it's not holding the same appeal as it did younger me. I know I am not the only one who feels like this and probably a lot of older female anime fans feel that way. The anime fanbase is growing and not just in number but with age too.
12032 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / Washington
Offline
Posted 5/10/15

ThisWasATriumph wrote:

I didn't know Kids on the Slope was josei... interesting. I think the only one I've seen so far is Usagi Drop which I really really loved. I can't stand shoujo anime but josei seem to be more down to earth. Honey and Clover is on my PTW list and I've heard good things about Nodame Cantabile although I can't really get into music-centered anime... I've all but dropped Shigatsu at this point. Seems there aren't many Josei series though; there's barely over a dozen under the Josei tag on MAL.


I loved Usagi drop but I would try giving NANA a try. It's a slice a life basically and deals with a lot of adult themes like work, friendship, relationships, sex, etc. It's really good.
10615 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Rabbit Horse
Offline
Posted 5/10/15
unfortunately its the audience in Japan that matters when they decide which series to air.
less women in Japan watching anime = fewer josei titles
hopefully this will change and we get more josei titles, but as someone already said, it's unlikely to change.
22948 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
52 / M / Bay Area
Offline
Posted 5/11/15
I like these in no special order

Paradise Kiss
Princess Jellyfish
Nana
Gokusen
Kawanamo O Suberu Kaze- maybe tied for Nana best one
Ristorante Paradiso
8733 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / MI
Offline
Posted 5/11/15

Dropplet wrote:


ThisWasATriumph wrote:

I didn't know Kids on the Slope was josei... interesting. I think the only one I've seen so far is Usagi Drop which I really really loved. I can't stand shoujo anime but josei seem to be more down to earth. Honey and Clover is on my PTW list and I've heard good things about Nodame Cantabile although I can't really get into music-centered anime... I've all but dropped Shigatsu at this point. Seems there aren't many Josei series though; there's barely over a dozen under the Josei tag on MAL.


I loved Usagi drop but I would try giving NANA a try. It's a slice a life basically and deals with a lot of adult themes like work, friendship, relationships, sex, etc. It's really good.


NANA was also on my list but I've heard mixed things about it. For example, that the ending wasnt very conclusive. Which is a pretty big turnoff since it's a 47 episode series...

Although I started leaning the other way after seeing Nana show up as a prominent character in Golden Time :D

22948 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
52 / M / Bay Area
Offline
Posted 5/11/15
If you want to see more of a finished ending of Nana you might try reading it first but even the Manga doesn't end yet but gets farther then the anime.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.