First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply Who are you shipping in My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU?
25026 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Northern Ireland
Offline
Posted 5/12/15 , edited 5/12/15

maxgale wrote:
Isn't that on her though? Her tsundere schtick. I didn't view 8mans POV as willing to perpetuate the status quo, but recognizing he doesn't have the power to change it. Every time he did, he got flak from other characters, especially Hayano and Yui. The difference between actively creating their artificial relationships and protecting them, versus simply not opposing them.


It is completely on her. It is also part of her over dependence on others. Something that 8man, thanks to Haruno, becomes quite heavily involved in dealing with. Relationships and dealing with feelings/discovering what a genuine relationship and trust is are very heavy themes within this series. As the series progresses 8man realises that leaving it alone causes its own problems and that he needs to find another way to deal with situations beside ignoring it or his self sacrifice route; both of which are equally destructive in different ways.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not directed at anyone in particular

Volume 11 is Valentines Day and with the set up in 10... yeah it is going to be messy and 8man is gonna have a hell of a fall.
31044 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Ar
Offline
Posted 5/12/15
Yui x Hachiman
55595 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 5/12/15

MacMeaties wrote:


Volume 11 is Valentines Day and with the set up in 10... yeah it is going to be messy and 8man is gonna have a hell of a fall.


Lets...see, number of women he may have to deal with on said day. Yui, Yukion, Kawasaki, Komachi(in a strictly sibling non gross type manner ) Iroha, and Sensei(LOL somehow they will add her in somehow, most likely a joke but still) .....yea, dude is gonna have his hands full.
5585 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 5/12/15 , edited 8/2/16




There is only one ship.

Ok I lied this one is a close second.

39271 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / New York City
Offline
Posted 5/12/15 , edited 8/2/16
Been reading the light novel and there are many places where Hachiman is completely enjoying Totsuka cuteness so I have no objection w/ Hachiman x Totsuka pairing. Although my main pairing is Hachiman x Yui because Yui, while Yui isn't the best person she does try genuinely to connect w/ Hachiman and Yukinoshita. Then i would pair Hachiman x Yukinoshita because I enjoy their exchanges and she does have some cute moments.
27451 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / USA! USA! USA!
Offline
Posted 5/12/15

MacMeaties wrote:


maxgale wrote:
Isn't that on her though? Her tsundere schtick. I didn't view 8mans POV as willing to perpetuate the status quo, but recognizing he doesn't have the power to change it. Every time he did, he got flak from other characters, especially Hayano and Yui. The difference between actively creating their artificial relationships and protecting them, versus simply not opposing them.


It is completely on her. It is also part of her over dependence on others. Something that 8man, thanks to Haruno, becomes quite heavily involved in dealing with. Relationships and dealing with feelings/discovering what a genuine relationship and trust is are very heavy themes within this series. As the series progresses 8man realises that leaving it alone causes its own problems and that he needs to find another way to deal with situations beside ignoring it or his self sacrifice route; both of which are equally destructive in different ways.



The series seems unable to adequately convey that, at least during this season. It has yet to offer any explanation for how 8man went from being a total loner to caring enough to get involved in strangers affairs. It even addressed that is who he stilll is, when he prioritized his sisters informal request over the formal request to the club. If that is still the case, and 8man wasn't being an unreliable narrator, then simply ignoring others is still a valid choice for his established character and the themes of the series: they aren't genuine, so why get involved? Trust is lost in translation from motive to action, etc.

Is it just that the anime isn't adapting explanations given in the light novels?
7525 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / Crimson Mage Village
Offline
Posted 5/12/15

maxgale wrote:


MacMeaties wrote:


maxgale wrote:
Isn't that on her though? Her tsundere schtick. I didn't view 8mans POV as willing to perpetuate the status quo, but recognizing he doesn't have the power to change it. Every time he did, he got flak from other characters, especially Hayano and Yui. The difference between actively creating their artificial relationships and protecting them, versus simply not opposing them.


It is completely on her. It is also part of her over dependence on others. Something that 8man, thanks to Haruno, becomes quite heavily involved in dealing with. Relationships and dealing with feelings/discovering what a genuine relationship and trust is are very heavy themes within this series. As the series progresses 8man realises that leaving it alone causes its own problems and that he needs to find another way to deal with situations beside ignoring it or his self sacrifice route; both of which are equally destructive in different ways.



The series seems unable to adequately convey that, at least during this season. It has yet to offer any explanation for how 8man went from being a total loner to caring enough to get involved in strangers affairs. It even addressed that is who he stilll is, when he prioritized his sisters informal request over the formal request to the club. If that is still the case, and 8man wasn't being an unreliable narrator, then simply ignoring others is still a valid choice for his established character and the themes of the series: they aren't genuine, so why get involved? Trust is lost in translation from motive to action, etc.

Is it just that the anime isn't adapting explanations given in the light novels?



8man = tsundere
27764 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / Reno, NV
Offline
Posted 5/12/15 , edited 8/2/16

geassknight01 wrote:

Been reading the light novel and there are many places where Hachiman is completely enjoying Totsuka cuteness so I have no objection w/ Hachiman x Totsuka pairing. Although my main pairing is Hachiman x Yui because Yui, while Yui isn't the best person she does try genuinely to connect w/ Hachiman and Yukinoshita. Then i would pair Hachiman x Yukinoshita because I enjoy their exchanges and she does have some cute moments.


I'd tend to agree; it seems like Yui is probably going to be the only one who could break through Hachiman's armor. Though that could also go the Haganai route, which wasn't really satisfying at all. Yukino would be a tougher fit, even if the Laws of Anime would put her in the top seat.

I wouldn't really mind either as long as they were done well.
27785 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 5/12/15
Yui/Hachiman of course. Any other pair is invalid in my humbly expressed opinion!
Sogno- 
45724 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/12/15

potentsativa wrote:


I think my spirit animal is a fujoshi


19641 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 5/12/15
Hayato x Yumiko
Hikki x Yui
46232 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / 地球
Online
Posted 5/12/15 , edited 5/13/15
I know that there is a lot of Yuri and BL fandom around, so everyone is entitled to their own dreams and hopes. (´・ω・)ノ

Taking that aside, though, I really believe that Yui is the actual best girl for Hachiman. She has really loved him since the very beginning and she really tries so hard to make Hachiman notice her and her feelings, even though Hachiman is dense as hell (for good reasons).



I know that socially speaking, Tsundere or dense girls with a hard shell such as Yukino are widely preferred (Don't get me wrong, I love Yukino personality though). I mean, we are human beings, we like the challenge, we tend to not appreciate stuff that is handled to us with "no effort" (Naruto/Hinata comes to mind but back into Yui/8man).

I think we should also see it through Yui's point of view. To her, approaching to Hachiman is hella of a challenge. She knows that Hachiman, with all the BS he has to put up before, has developed a hard, thick shell. Because of that, he will easily misunderstand her confession with horrible consequences for her. Which is why she has a lot of troubles telling her feelings



We tend to just fixate on the main character's point of view or our "challenging-girl-option" (tsundere i.e.) point of view and to diminish any other girl who actually loves the main character for what he is, without drama bullcrap (although drama is what make us watch novels, manga and such). But I really believe that Yui, by far, deserves to win Hachiman's heart. (´・ω・`)
184 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Chicago
Offline
Posted 5/12/15
let's face it, hachiman blushes more around saika than ANY of his female love interests combined






they've got my vote for sure
Bavalt 
22029 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 5/12/15

maxgale wrote:


As I said above, it just seems like a bit of a 180 in the POV of the characters and inversing the dynamics of their relationships. It comes across as entirely forced and not grounded in either the established characters or overall narrative. I also struggle with the concept of "genuine fakery"
as the only result from such behavior is to have some pretty warped relationships, which to the credit of the series doesn't shy away from rather explicitly stating to be the case with the characters.

If the series is ultimately stating people are fundamentally cowards unable to achieve or cope with honesty, that is frankly disgusting, and like the example of Oreimo I gave, revelling and rewarding the worst impulses of its otaku audience instead of using the opportunity to be something greater.


Warning: text wall incoming. If you want the TL;DR version, I'm basically arguing that "dishonesty" of the sort we see in this series is unavoidable and not at all as bad as people make it out to be, and that Hachiman seems likely to conclude the same thing.

17065 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Fredericton, NB
Offline
Posted 5/12/15 , edited 5/12/15
The one and only Yui x Hachiman

First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.