First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Why i don't think i can pay for Crunchyroll
2024 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/12/15 , edited 5/17/15
I appreciate the mostly helpful comments and suggestions. I'm not knocking Crunchyroll. I'm just pointing out some issues i have with it that are preventing me from being able to fork up the $7/mo in good conscience. I mentioned these issues in hope that Crunchyroll could work on some of these things.. ESPECIALLY A. I HATE A. Also, A is sooooo easy to fix. I guess i can use the queue feature as a workaround for now.


A.) The episode selection screen for animes totally spoils complete seasons for me. If the anime wants me to believe someone dies in an earlier episode and i see the person's picture in Crunchyroll's episode selection screen, it tells me that the person is obviously not dead by that episode. If i'm watching episode 5 of a show and a character looks like they're in danger, I know they're going to be fine because I saw their picture at the top of the episode selection screen in the middle of the following season. Netflix doesn't have silly pictures for each episode. Why is that even necessary? Just put it in list format and say, "Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3" etc. Don't show me pictures of what happens in the episode!!! Netflix doesn't have Frank Underwood holding a gun whenever i hover over the most recent episode. Matter of fact, that would be okay because i'd have to hover over the episode to see it. ITS NOT AT THE TOP OF MY SCREEN AND REQUIRES ME TO LOOK AT IT TO GET TO THE EPISODE I WAS PREVIOUSLY WATCHING. Fix this... Please...

B.) If i pause an anime for more than 3 minutes and try to resume play, i have to refresh before crunchyroll will allocate bandwidth to me again. EDIT: I know netflix will timeout a session and require you to refresh if you pause for too lunch but their time-out is inbetween 10 - 30 minutes. Crunchroll's timeout is 3 - 5 minutes. Jesus Crunchyroll, can i go to the bathroom please?!

C.) Streaming is spotty. When the servers aren't at full capacity, i can stream 1080p flawlessly. Yesterday afternoon, 480p was freezing every 2 - 3 seconds.

D.) The show selection interface is disgusting. I didn't think it was possible for anyone to have an interface worse than netflix. WTF is simulcast? Why can't i organize them in list format? Why can't i organize the shows by ratings?! I'm sure you have your reasons why you didn't make these basic of basic features available to us but I don't like it. The only reason i put up with this for netflix is because of their vast selection and the fact that they do allow me to organize by rating.

E.) There is no easy way to pick up where i left off. I have to manually navigate to the episode I was previously at. I advise someone at Crunchyroll to sign up for netflix and see how easy it is for me to resume from the exact second i left off at on whatever show/film I was watching.

F.) Too expensive. I don't read Mangas. I shouldn't have to pay for them. Try creating a shows-only package but that wouldn't bring in enough money i'm sure. Even if the shows only package is only a dollar less.

If you guys can manage to fix A, C, and, F, I can deal with the rest. Hell will freeze over before i pay for a show streaming service that spoils the shows.


I TRIED TO GO LEGIT BUT LEGIT IS INFERIOR!
71506 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / オランダ
Offline
Posted 5/12/15 , edited 5/12/15
11856 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Finland
Offline
Posted 5/12/15
You can already avoid A and E by using the Queue and B is just stupid.

C and F are real concerns but the manga part is sort of stupid as well. Manga was added to the Premium package without increasing the cost some time ago. If you can't justify the cost then that's enough of a reason not to pay.
2024 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/12/15

Cenric wrote:

You can already avoid A and E by using the Queue and B is just stupid.

C and F are real concerns but the manga part is sort of stupid as well. Manga was added to the Premium package without increasing the cost some time ago. If you can't justify the cost then that's enough of a reason not to pay.


B is minor and alone, B wouldn't prevent me from using a service but it is an inconvenience that i don't have to deal with for netflix or ..... other methods of obtaining anime. I don't see a queue option although i'm sure its here somewhere. That goes back to the lackluster interface i mentioned in D.

Crunchyroll didn't obtain Manga for free so logic tells us they're paying for it with subscriptions. If they added Manga without increasing the price, it just means you were paying more than you had to before they added it. I think I should be able to pay less if i have no interest in Manga. I'm basically paying for other people to watch Manga.

C is a show stopper. I don't like the quality of my streaming to go down just because kids got out of school.
29118 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
83 / F / Bite the pillow.
Offline
Posted 5/12/15 , edited 5/12/15

Gigajew850 wrote:

I don't see a queue option although i'm sure its here somewhere.

The queue can be accessed at the top of each page on the site (blue arrow, blue box in image below):



Looks like a "ribbon". Click on it, though I don't think it will solve your issue(s).

/Edit: spelling.
11856 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Finland
Offline
Posted 5/12/15 , edited 5/12/15

Gigajew850 wrote:


Cenric wrote:

You can already avoid A and E by using the Queue and B is just stupid.

C and F are real concerns but the manga part is sort of stupid as well. Manga was added to the Premium package without increasing the cost some time ago. If you can't justify the cost then that's enough of a reason not to pay.


B is minor and alone, B wouldn't prevent me from using a service but it is an inconvenience that i don't have to deal with for netflix or ..... other methods of obtaining anime. I don't see a queue option although i'm sure its here somewhere. That goes back to the lackluster interface i mentioned in D.

Crunchyroll didn't obtain Manga for free so logic tells us they're paying for it with subscriptions. If they added Manga without increasing the price, it just means you were paying more than you had to before they added it. I think I should be able to pay less if i have no interest in Manga. I'm basically paying for other people to watch Manga.

C is a show stopper. I don't like the quality of my streaming to go down just because kids got out of school.


Fair enough. I've used the website for a while now and never had big problems with the interface but that's just personal preference I guess.

As someone who was willing to pay the same price before it just feels like added value. Price and value is something that every customer has to evaluate themselves. As long as enough people like me are willing to pay then they have no reason to lower it just for you.

I have seen complaints about streams freezing and buffering before and experienced it myself at one point. You can try contacting support to see if they can fix it but I very much doubt it.
18346 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / united states oregon
Offline
Posted 5/12/15
Point "A" is very very very good. I wish i could say more about it but its just so true and obvious im at a lost for words. come on crunchyroll.

Points "B" and "C" are your fault. Get better internet by any means necessary. Get faster internet, switch providers or move to a different location. I always buy internet with a speed of 50mbps, and a good provider never lets it drop below that and a great provider gives even more speed than you bought, like how i have 54MBPS.
Use this site and share your results if you want to. If it says you got high speed then it might be your PC/browser or you have a crappy internet provider. http://www.speedtest.net/

To fix PC/browser issues clean your browser of cache, cookies and all that stuff and run a "Disk cleanup" to make everything squeaky clean. Lastly play a video on crunchyroll, pause it, right click it, click settings, click the folder and move the "local storage slider" to 10MB or unlimited. Also make sure video smoother is enabled ( unless your pc is really crappy , then you might want that off).

point "D" .Its a minor issue, not worth leaving over. Should they upgrade it? Yes they should. But in the mean time, just use a different site to find a good anime like "myanimelist" and then use the search bar in crunchyroll to find it.

Point "E". I honestly never had issues about this....seems to work good enough in my opinion....don't recall any issues on that one.

Point "F". Uhhh... Its practically a fact that its really cheap, if you wanna prove me wrong then buy EVERY anime you watch here on DVD instead and tell me how that worked out for your wallet. Problem is, i think your spoiled by the amazing world of subscription shows/movies. Its really cheap and before that we had to buy them on DVD, ESPECIALLY before the internet and pirating came out.

So please show more appreciation for what you are blessed with and that you don't have to live in a world without internet.
10241 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / KSU
Offline
Posted 5/12/15
I could probably FIND $7.00 in a month.... Seriously, why do people think this is too much for 1080p episodes of a lot of good Anime. Plus, I don't use it btw, you get Manga too. I don't think the price went up when I got the Manga free so I don't see that as an issue. Or I'm wrong about everything.
2345 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/12/15
I never seem to have issues being spoiled with A, B takes a little longer than 3 mins to need to refresh but yes thats annoying, C is a problem sure but i know there was a reason behind it and can't remember what it was but i know it has something to do with the buffering and anti piracy stuff.

Simulcast means it streams the same day as Japan, you can organize your queue as Hairbelly posted a pic of and all that.

Easily click on the episode you were on and it will pick up right around where you left off. This isn't netflix they aren't backed up by video rental service and have more to offer than just anime so more people pay for it. Hulu is backed up by the networks and even their set up sucks, not everything in life is going to be perfect.

I find it funny people are unwilling to pay 6-7 bucks hell even 3-4 subscriptions across the different streaming sites but yet will go out and buy 2-3 figurines at like 60 bucks or more. If you don't like the service simply don't use it and cancel your sub.

2024 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/12/15

azurumi wrote:

Point "A" is very very very good. I wish i could say more about it but its just so true and obvious im at a lost for words. come on crunchyroll.

Points "B" and "C" are your fault. Get better internet by any means necessary. Get faster internet, switch providers or move to a different location. I always buy internet with a speed of 50mbps, and a good provider never lets it drop below that and a great provider gives even more speed than you bought, like how i have 54MBPS.
Use this site and share your results if you want to. If it says you got high speed then it might be your PC/browser or you have a crappy internet provider. http://www.speedtest.net/

To fix PC/browser issues clean your browser of cache, cookies and all that stuff and run a "Disk cleanup" to make everything squeaky clean. Lastly play a video on crunchyroll, pause it, right click it, click settings, click the folder and move the "local storage slider" to 10MB or unlimited. Also make sure video smoother is enabled ( unless your pc is really crappy , then you might want that off).

point "D" .Its a minor issue, not worth leaving over. Should they upgrade it? Yes they should. But in the mean time, just use a different site to find a good anime like "myanimelist" and then use the search bar in crunchyroll to find it.

Point "E". I honestly never had issues about this....seems to work good enough in my opinion....don't recall any issues on that one.

Point "F". Uhhh... Its practically a fact that its really cheap, if you wanna prove me wrong then buy EVERY anime you watch here on DVD instead and tell me how that worked out for your wallet. Problem is, i think your spoiled by the amazing world of subscription shows/movies. Its really cheap and before that we had to buy them on DVD, ESPECIALLY before the internet and pirating came out.

So please show more appreciation for what you are blessed with and that you don't have to live in a world without internet.


C is not my internet or a browser issue. Of this i am 100% certain. It is a Crunchyroll server capacity issue. At peak hours, videos do not run well. There are complaints about as much all around these forums. 90% of the time, I can run 1080p videos flawlessly. I watched the first season of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure in 1080p without a single stutter. Yesterday was the first time I ran into these server issues. Netflix never stutters or freezes during high quality streaming. My maximum download speed is 2.5MB/s which is plenty enough to stream a video.

B isn't my browser either because i've tried 3 different browsers just to make sure. It is a function that Crunchyroll added to prevent "afk" people from using unnecessary bandwidth so as not to make problem C worse for everyone. The problem is that it times out way too fast. 3 - 5 minutes of AFK shouldn't require me to refresh. It may be something that they only implement on certain animes but it definately isn't anything local. It even does the same thing on the cell phone app.

D is minor.. You're right.

E is a problem because in order to resume, i have to select the anime and scroll DOWN to the episode i was at. Past all the screenshots of the episodes I haven't watched yet. (Which can apparently be worked around if i can find that queue feature)

You're right about F too. The subscription is cheap. That said, its a matter of principle. Logically, part of my subscription is paying for the manga licenses. It had to have crossed somebody at Crunchyroll's mind to make a package that doesn't include Manga. I'm certain it isn't implemented because they wouldn't be able to make as much money.
2024 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/12/15

Cenric wrote:


Gigajew850 wrote:


Cenric wrote:

You can already avoid A and E by using the Queue and B is just stupid.

C and F are real concerns but the manga part is sort of stupid as well. Manga was added to the Premium package without increasing the cost some time ago. If you can't justify the cost then that's enough of a reason not to pay.


B is minor and alone, B wouldn't prevent me from using a service but it is an inconvenience that i don't have to deal with for netflix or ..... other methods of obtaining anime. I don't see a queue option although i'm sure its here somewhere. That goes back to the lackluster interface i mentioned in D.

Crunchyroll didn't obtain Manga for free so logic tells us they're paying for it with subscriptions. If they added Manga without increasing the price, it just means you were paying more than you had to before they added it. I think I should be able to pay less if i have no interest in Manga. I'm basically paying for other people to watch Manga.

C is a show stopper. I don't like the quality of my streaming to go down just because kids got out of school.


Fair enough. I've used the website for a while now and never had big problems with the interface but that's just personal preference I guess.

As someone who was willing to pay the same price before it just feels like added value. Price and value is something that every customer has to evaluate themselves. As long as enough people like me are willing to pay then they have no reason to lower it just for you.

I have seen complaints about streams freezing and buffering before and experienced it myself at one point. You can try contacting support to see if they can fix it but I very much doubt it.



With what i know about websites, servers, and the symptoms i experienced, i'm 70% sure it is a crunchyroll bandwidth issue. I don't think it can be resolved unless they change their video formats so that there is less data required for streaming or if they purchase more bandwidth or servers.

Yesterday, when I couldn't get a 480p video to run consistently, i ran a speedtest and test downloaded a few things to make sure it wasn't my internet. Internet was fine. Then despite this, i ran some videos on the cell phone app using my wifi and the videos still stuttered. Then i ran the videos on my cell phone using my data signal and the videos still stuttered. Today, i watched an episode on my cellphone while at lunch and it ran flawlessly. Whatever the problem is, it seemed to be on Crunchyroll's end.
2024 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/12/15 , edited 5/12/15

Hairbelly wrote:


Gigajew850 wrote:

I don't see a queue option although i'm sure its here somewhere.

The queue can be accessed at the top of each page on the site (blue arrow, blue box in image below):



Looks like a "ribbon". Click on it, though I don't think it will solve your issue(s).

/Edit: spelling.



Many. Many thank you's!

EDIT: Seems like i still have to look at the episode screenshots to add a show to my queue. You have to click the show and look at the episode selection screen to click "Add to queue". I see Jotaro is still alive in the latest episode. Polnareff is still alive up to episode 37. For some reason, a guy who is currently dead to where i've watched the series is apparently going to make a Jesus like comeback at the beginning of the next season too.
18346 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / united states oregon
Offline
Posted 5/12/15 , edited 5/12/15

Gigajew850 wrote:


azurumi wrote:

Point "A" is very very very good. I wish i could say more about it but its just so true and obvious im at a lost for words. come on crunchyroll.

Points "B" and "C" are your fault. Get better internet by any means necessary. Get faster internet, switch providers or move to a different location. I always buy internet with a speed of 50mbps, and a good provider never lets it drop below that and a great provider gives even more speed than you bought, like how i have 54MBPS.
Use this site and share your results if you want to. If it says you got high speed then it might be your PC/browser or you have a crappy internet provider. http://www.speedtest.net/

To fix PC/browser issues clean your browser of cache, cookies and all that stuff and run a "Disk cleanup" to make everything squeaky clean. Lastly play a video on crunchyroll, pause it, right click it, click settings, click the folder and move the "local storage slider" to 10MB or unlimited. Also make sure video smoother is enabled ( unless your pc is really crappy , then you might want that off).

point "D" .Its a minor issue, not worth leaving over. Should they upgrade it? Yes they should. But in the mean time, just use a different site to find a good anime like "myanimelist" and then use the search bar in crunchyroll to find it.

Point "E". I honestly never had issues about this....seems to work good enough in my opinion....don't recall any issues on that one.

Point "F". Uhhh... Its practically a fact that its really cheap, if you wanna prove me wrong then buy EVERY anime you watch here on DVD instead and tell me how that worked out for your wallet. Problem is, i think your spoiled by the amazing world of subscription shows/movies. Its really cheap and before that we had to buy them on DVD, ESPECIALLY before the internet and pirating came out.

So please show more appreciation for what you are blessed with and that you don't have to live in a world without internet.


C is not my internet or a browser issue. Of this i am 100% certain. It is a Crunchyroll server capacity issue. At peak hours, videos do not run well. There are complaints about as much all around these forums. 90% of the time, I can run 1080p videos flawlessly. I watched the first season of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure in 1080p without a single stutter. Yesterday was the first time I ran into these server issues. Netflix never stutters or freezes during high quality streaming. My maximum download speed is 2.5MB/s which is plenty enough to stream a video.

B isn't my browser either because i've tried 3 different browsers just to make sure. It is a function that Crunchyroll added to prevent "afk" people from using unnecessary bandwidth so as not to make problem C worse for everyone. The problem is that it times out way too fast. 3 - 5 minutes of AFK shouldn't require me to refresh. It may be something that they only implement on certain animes but it definately isn't anything local. It even does the same thing on the cell phone app.

D is minor.. You're right.

E is a problem because in order to resume, i have to select the anime and scroll DOWN to the episode i was at. Past all the screenshots of the episodes I haven't watched yet. (Which can apparently be worked around if i can find that queue feature)

You're right about F too. The subscription is cheap. That said, its a matter of principle. Logically, part of my subscription is paying for the manga licenses. It had to have crossed somebody at Crunchyroll's mind to make a package that doesn't include Manga. I'm certain it isn't implemented because they wouldn't be able to make as much money.


OK....but how is it then i NEVER have streaming issues ( well i used to until i did the local storage trick i told you)? If its crunchyrolls issue, i would be effected to. Can you explain that at all?
Also did you atleast try my suggestions? Humor that and i will humor your argument as well.
Also 2.5MBS? dont you mean 25? 2.5 would be like 20 times slower than mine, right? Sounds very slow to me.... I am worried i am wrong and saying something stupid about the internet speeds , but feel free to correct me on this.

All your points on how its not your fault are invalid since those issues could also be from your computer....except the netflix argument, but on the other hand thats why you should try my advice on the local storage slider, that could explain why netflix works but crunchyroll doesnt. Because netflix might be allowed to have unlimited storage, while crunchyroll might be limited to as little as 10KB.


42646 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
60 / M / Earth
Offline
Posted 5/12/15

Gigajew850 wrote:
Seems like i still have to look at the episode screenshots to add a show to my queue. You have to click the show and look at the episode selection screen to click "Add to queue".

Go to the letter and hover over the show title, add to queue pops up:
/videos/anime/alpha
2024 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/12/15 , edited 5/12/15

azurumi wrote:

OK....but how is it then i NEVER have streaming issues ( well i used to until i did the local storage trick i told you)? If its crunchyrolls issue, i would be effected to. Can you explain that at all?
Also did you atleast try my suggestions? Humor that and i will humor your argument as well.
Also 2.5MBS? dont you mean 25? 2.5 would be like 20 times slower than mine, right? Sounds very slow to me.... I am worried i am wrong and saying something stupid about the internet speeds , but feel free to correct me on this.

All your points on how its not your fault are invalid since those issues could also be from your computer....except the netflix argument, but on the other hand thats why you should try my advice on the local storage slider, that could explain why netflix works but crunchyroll doesnt. Because netflix might be allowed to have unlimited storage, while crunchyroll might be limited to as little as 10KB.



I am not god or a crunchyroll network admin but I have an idea. Internet services like MMO's, FPS, Streaming services, etc use servers in different locations to accommodate people in different locations. If Crunchyroll's has one server for everyone and it is in California, then someone like me who is in GA may have a harder time getting consistent service. To alleviate this, Crunchyroll will find a data center closer to the south east coast and I would be communicating with that server. If the south east coast server is at max capacity, it wouldnt effect people in europe, cali, etc. It would effect the people using that server.

Networking is complicated but I'm ALMOST certain it doesn't have anything to do with my computer. That is why i tested with other devices.

EDIT: I mean i can download files at a rate of 2.5 Megabytes per second. Or ~2,500 kilobytes per second. If a file is 25MB. I can download it in 10 seconds.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.