First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Why are you a feminist?
10228 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / United Kingdom
Offline
Posted 5/14/15


Why is it still around though? I don't understand gaming that much and I avoid playing games, but basically if I was to finally work out how to download a game on to my computer, this "gamergate" thing would somehow affect me?
35035 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 5/14/15 , edited 5/14/15

papagolfwhiskey wrote:

How about radical then? I now of a least one group of self described radical feminists who think transfolk are an evil male plot against womanhood. I find them relatively extreme.


The odd part about them is that their arguments concerning transwomen's "invalidity" may easily be lent to the position that peoples' social destinies and roles are to be determined by biology. The irony only increases once one takes into consideration that claims that transwomen create divisiveness in women's spaces and constitute both an attack on women and a perversion of the movement by their mere existence have created a rift within the broader movement.
39464 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M
Offline
Posted 5/14/15

eclair-lumiere wrote:



Why is it still around though? I don't understand gaming that much and I avoid playing games, but basically if I was to finally work out how to download a game on to my computer, this "gamergate" thing would somehow affect me?


I think it's the game developers and game critics who were mainly getting harassed...the worst that might happen to a consumer is getting down votes and nasty replies when you give a game a review on certain sites. But don't let that stop you if you're starting to get interested in gaming...supporting games that fit your values is the right way to change the gaming industry, not complaining about games you don't play or threatening and harassing developers.
23089 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/14/15
That's because there are two camps. There are the feminists that strive for equality, and there are those that are the other side of the same coin as chauvinists.
42 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/14/15
I think that feminism is a good movement. I try to generally stay away from too much of a hard stuff because I value my mental health but at the same time I think that feminism and the values of gender equality are good for the overall well being of humans in general.

While I personally would not label myself as a feminist, that is mostly because I would rather not get killed for it. A recent case is that of Grace Rebecca Mann who was killed at her college campus after persistent harassment and death threats made by anti-feminists. Fun right? You have an opinion and you get killed for it. And these instances are happening all over. If you are a feminist you are under a real threat of bodily harm, death, rape etc. Feminism is trying to ensure that this type of mentality is erased from.

Have you noticed that nearly all anti-feminists point out that "It could be worse, what are you talking about?" Isn't this a toxic mentality?

While of course there are extremists, there are extremists in every single group that deals with social justice. It is inevitable. And unfortunately those who scream the loudest are the ones that are more visible. Let it be said that Feminism at its core should be gender equality for all. Male, female, other genders. However, much of the mainstream and visible feminism is primarily White Feminism. That is white women focus on themselves and sometimes ignore other races or females who are not cisgender (are the same gender as sex assigned at birth). I am a white person myself and a cisgender person, but I have read about how people who are not can be treated in the mainstream feminist movement. It is not good.

Personally I am pro feminism that supports people of all gender and race, one that eliminates the toxicity of "macho culture" and don't say that men and boys are not negatively affected. Many men are so emotionally stunted, they are taught for so long that emotions are bad that they feel that they are entitled to being taken care of by a woman. And that entitlement leads to control, to harm against women. There was a case when a man attacked a woman for "Smiling too much" is it not crazy or not. I am also for feminism that ensures that people, no matter who they are, are treated with fairness and respect and do not have to worry about losing their lives for being something not male cis/het and white.
248 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / United States of...
Offline
Posted 5/14/15
I'm not a feminist. Mostly because the actions of the radical feminists have overshadowed the actions of the...normal? (I guess that's what you'd call them) feminists and I'd rather not be associated with people like that. I've chose the title egalitarian to describe my stance on equality.
9551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 5/14/15

eclair-lumiere wrote:

Why is it still around though? I don't understand gaming that much and I avoid playing games, but basically if I was to finally work out how to download a game on to my computer, this "gamergate" thing would somehow affect me?


It kinda just refuses to leave. To answer the second question not really its really just a gaming culture thing though it could effectively break out in other areas of nerd culture.
27250 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 5/14/15 , edited 5/14/15
I am not a feminist. I am a humanitarian. I believe that true and perfect equality is impossible to achieve, so reasonable equality overall is acceptable. There are many ways to reach this goal, so I don't think I have to be a feminist to be in favor of equality.

I believe most feminists have no real idea what their movement means. They don't have their priorities straight, they don't bother to educate themselves before speaking so zealously, and they have a mob mentality, which twists the feminist movement into something it's not supposed to be, despite the good intentions at the core and the presence of some truly admirable individuals.
15947 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / Cold and High
Offline
Posted 5/14/15 , edited 5/14/15

geauxtigers1989 wrote: specific movement focused on a specific set of issues.

Yeah liked that ;)
So if you are MRA or Feminist, but the most "equal" that tries to be more of a focus on everyone option that is humanist

AiYumega wrote: But let's be honest here, there's a lot of bad to the crew that runs with feminism, and a lot of "man hate" and other things that I just don't like at all.

Its not only man oppresion they do but also target anything sexy or feminine about females that makes it so awfull claiming all this is sexism and insault on female abilites or oppressing themselfs (like the protein commercial I posted where they wanted to remove a picture just because this leads to starving while if you understood it, it was about building up to a good body not starving for one..)
They want to block jobs like modelling and anything else leading to make women sexy (while wearing makeup...) derp

So what I want to say Feminist is not the "fully" equal where Humanist is more equal where you are working/doing it for both sides
You can try to go left feminist or right MRA (choose right or left else go middle... or you can be a bad guy and be agianst everyone) ;P

Why do we turn the wommen movement into a movement for everyone? Its like I want to support this group but now it is around 100 groups in one? -_-
Once it was for showing what females where made of and try to see that we have the same (but still you can not make many jobs gender specific into 50-50 thats never happening unless everyone mostly had the same shape and form)
27451 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / USA! USA! USA!
Offline
Posted 5/14/15

megahobbit wrote:


maxgale wrote:

FTFY.

Really don't know much about this feminism stuff, but this is a perfect example of the me being incredibly reductionist right here.


FTFY

Huh well in recent years feminism has dealt with

Date Rape Culture
Sexism in the Media
Closing the Wage gap
Abortion rights
Sexism in the workplace
Rape on Campuses
and a ton of other things I cant mention.

On the other hand GG has
Harrassed Females
Donated to charity as a PR stunt


Says the guy posted a webcomic to explain a complicated issue.


In recent years feminism has perpetuated myths about:



Date Rape Culture (or, as its commonly referred to, college social life)
Sexism in the Media (by portraying women as damsels in distress in need of feminism to rescue them)
Closing the Wage gap (more like closing their eyes to all the research which debunks it)
Abortion rights (strangely enough, the constitution makes no note of this right)
Sexism in the workplace (by banning all human interaction)
Rape on Campuses (Rolling Stone says hello)
and a ton of other things I cant mention.


Like I said, I don't know much about the videogame stuff. But I DO know the tactics, histrionics, and hyperbole of modern feminist ideology, and its pretty par for the course from what I've noticed being used against gamers.
Posted 5/14/15

BlueOni wrote:




To avoid ambiguous intent I should quote both the two of you so that I can clarify what I meant as I think something might have been misinterpreted, and, again, possible misinterpretation. I apologize if its of any inconvenience, but its necessary..


Sarah_Blight wrote:


BlueOni wrote:


narfington wrote:

Personally I think the feminists have a point when it comes to the portrayal of women in the media. There need to be more strong, assertive, kickass female characters out there. Then again, that's just what I'm into....so make of it what you will.


Well, the funny thing about that is it's a thing that's been tried in film and television before, and while sometimes it went alright, most times the characters just came off as unnecessarily abrasive, aggressive, and uncooperative. The key thing to keep in mind is that important characters need to be well-rounded. An action heroine should be competent enough to do things on her own when the occasion calls for it, but should also be capable of cooperating with others when the occasion calls for it. She should be assertive enough to stand her ground on important issues, but doesn't have to be abrasive in order to do that. Most of all, the story shouldn't bandy about declarations of how amazing it is that she's done this or that because she's a woman doing those things that male action heroes have been doing for decades.

Also, it is okay to have female characters which are sexy and proud of it, incompetent, relatively unimportant, or focused mainly on their love lives. Writers shouldn't feel they have to process and can their female characters. The aim here isn't to stifle artists' creative voices, but merely to offer a suggestion on an alternative way to construct female protagonists and antagonists.



I thought we were talking about something rather innocuous , writing good heroines.. . I was going over the dialogue and it didn't seem right, so here we go.

....



Sarah_Blight This is just guesswork, but I think he might have meant that there aren't enough in those roles that he loved, hence why they are overshadowed.. of course, quality is important and care not to make a caricature of women is a sensitive issue, but moreover than this user I don't think most feminists want heroines to mock real women by shallow innuendo.

I agree with his preference as well. I prefer these types of protagonists to the more boring, dainty ones better suited to supporting characters.



I see how it could be taken in two different ways with the sensitive subject matter. Fictional writing of heroines was the context of my text in this case, not anything sinister. I should disclaim by stressing I've done nothing but support TS issues in the LGBT community. I'm a worrier, forgive me if this is a waste of time but I didn't see what happened till hours later.


papagolfwhiskey wrote:

How about radical then? I now of a least one group of self described radical feminists who think transfolk are an evil male plot against womanhood. I find them relatively extreme.


I know, certainly, and as BlueOni and Schmooples noted later in this thread, its a hypocrisy made most notably by a former nun and radical lesbian separatist, Janice Raymond in her book The Transsexual Empire in 1979. Hope that helps clear things up on where I was coming from!
9551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 5/14/15 , edited 5/14/15

maxgale wrote:


Says the guy posted a webcomic to explain a complicated issue.


In recent years feminism has perpetuated myths about:



Date Rape Culture (or, as its commonly referred to, college social life)
Sexism in the Media (by portraying women as damsels in distress in need of feminism to rescue them)
Closing the Wage gap (more like closing their eyes to all the research which debunks it)
Abortion rights (strangely enough, the constitution makes no note of this right)
Sexism in the workplace (by banning all human interaction)
Rape on Campuses (Rolling Stone says hello)
and a ton of other things I cant mention.


Like I said, I don't know much about the videogame stuff. But I DO know the tactics, histrionics, and hyperbole of modern feminist ideology, and its pretty par for the course from what I've noticed being used against gamers.


First I linked her to a huge web timeline detailing the event and posted that as a joke along with two songs.

But time to bring out my arguing gloves

Date Rape Culture (or, as its commonly referred to, college social life)

If you are trying to pass off the large amount off rape on college campuses as normal you are part of the problem.

Lets have some statistics

60% of male college students “indicated some likelihood of raping or using force in certain circumstances.”
Every 21 hours there is another rape on an American college campus.
Of the college women who are raped, only 10% report the rape.
One in twelve college-age men admit having fulfilled the prevailing definition of rape or attempted rape, yet virtually none of these men identify themselves as rapists.

Source http://www.crisisconnectioninc.org/sexualassault/college_campuses_and_rape.htm


Sexism in the Media (by portraying women as damsels in distress in need of feminism to rescue them)

Really... Really... thats like saying "the civil rights movement was portraying black people as underclass oppressed people in need of rescuing therefore it is racist"

The logic of that is just baffling to me.


Closing the Wage gap (more like closing their eyes to all the research which debunks it)

I could find more studies that show that the wage gap actually exists but we live in an age of cherry picking. Your going to choose the studies that favor your argument despite the fact there not in the majority.


Abortion rights (strangely enough, the constitution makes no note of this right)


The constitution makes no mention of the right to education but thats still a guarantee today. It makes no mention of a right to food(something nearly every other 1st world country guarantees). It was a document written hundreds of years ago and you really think its going to apply to modern ethics.


Sexism in the workplace (by banning all human interaction)

Theres a difference between human interaction and sexual harassment. I work at a McDonalds and I interact and talk with female coworkers fine, what I dont do is make unwanted sexual comments to them. But I was more referring to sexist hiring standards with this statement.


Rape on Campuses (Rolling Stone says hello)

"WHAT ONE ARTICLE DIDNT CHECK ITS FACTS AND CAUSED A STIR! THAT MEANS ALL RAPE ON CAMPUSES DOES NOT EXIST"

Yeah ill admit the rolling stone fiasco was a mess and probably did more harm than good.
7553 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Ark-La-Tex
Offline
Posted 5/14/15
10228 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / United Kingdom
Offline
Posted 5/14/15


Well, i may play some but i wouldn't bother to review them or anything. I'm not a huge gamer. Glad to know it won't affect me too much just from playing them.
27451 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / USA! USA! USA!
Offline
Posted 5/14/15 , edited 5/14/15

megahobbit wrote:


maxgale wrote:


Says the guy posted a webcomic to explain a complicated issue.


In recent years feminism has perpetuated myths about:



Date Rape Culture (or, as its commonly referred to, college social life)
Sexism in the Media (by portraying women as damsels in distress in need of feminism to rescue them)
Closing the Wage gap (more like closing their eyes to all the research which debunks it)
Abortion rights (strangely enough, the constitution makes no note of this right)
Sexism in the workplace (by banning all human interaction)
Rape on Campuses (Rolling Stone says hello)
and a ton of other things I cant mention.


Like I said, I don't know much about the videogame stuff. But I DO know the tactics, histrionics, and hyperbole of modern feminist ideology, and its pretty par for the course from what I've noticed being used against gamers.


First I linked her to a huge web timeline detailing the event and posted that as a joke along with two songs.

But time to bring out my arguing gloves

Date Rape Culture (or, as its commonly referred to, college social life)

If you are trying to pass off the large amount off rape on college campuses as normal you are part of the problem.

Lets have some statistics

60% of male college students “indicated some likelihood of raping or using force in certain circumstances.”
Every 21 hours there is another rape on an American college campus.
Of the college women who are raped, only 10% report the rape.
One in twelve college-age men admit having fulfilled the prevailing definition of rape or attempted rape, yet virtually none of these men identify themselves as rapists.

Source http://www.crisisconnectioninc.org/sexualassault/college_campuses_and_rape.htm


Sexism in the Media (by portraying women as damsels in distress in need of feminism to rescue them)

Really... Really... thats like saying "the civil rights movement was portraying black people as underclass oppressed people in need of rescuing therefore it is racist"

The logic of that is just baffling to me.


Closing the Wage gap (more like closing their eyes to all the research which debunks it)

I could find more studies that show that the wage gap actually exists but we live in an age of cherry picking. Your going to choose the studies that favor your argument despite the fact there not in the majority.


Abortion rights (strangely enough, the constitution makes no note of this right)


The constitution makes no mention of the right to education but thats still a guarantee today. It makes no mention of a right to food(something nearly every other 1st world country guarantees). It was a document written hundreds of years ago and you really think its going to apply to modern ethics.


Sexism in the workplace (by banning all human interaction)

Theres a difference between human interaction and sexual harassment. I work at a McDonalds and I interact and talk with female coworkers fine, what I dont do is make unwanted sexual comments to them. But I was more referring to sexist hiring standards with this statement.


Rape on Campuses (Rolling Stone says hello)

"WHAT ONE ARTICLE DIDNT CHECK ITS FACTS AND CAUSED A STIR! THAT MEANS ALL RAPE ON CAMPUSES DOES NOT EXIST"

Yeah ill admit the rolling stone fiasco was a mess and probably did more harm than good.



What events were in the link for the gaming thing?

But to the main part:


There is no industrial scale level of rape going on. But perpetuating that lie is a financial and political industry unto itself:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2014/12/14/campus-rape-uva-crisis-rolling-stone-politics-column/20397277/



Sexism in the Media (by portraying women as damsels in distress in need of feminism to rescue them)


Really... Really... thats like saying "the civil rights movement was portraying black people as underclass oppressed people in need of rescuing therefore it is racist"

The logic of that is just baffling to me.


It would be rather racist, actually. And that is exactly how white liberals portray themselves as, the vanguard of Utopia having to protect the unenlightened dark skinned folk. King and the others spoke to the dignity of black folk, not their need to be coddled. It is baffling to me how the modern racists have convinced themselves they are anything but.



I could find more studies that show that the wage gap actually exists but we live in an age of cherry picking. Your going to choose the studies that favor your argument despite the fact there not in the majority.


Except there is a consensus it is a myth. Even the Obama Department of Labor acknowledged it is a myth:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-gender-pay-gap-is-a-complete-myth/

Even the Atlantic, a leftist periodical, acknowledged it:

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2013/05/the-biggest-myth-about-the-gender-wage-gap/276367/

Even respected feminist scholars (what few remain) acknowledged it:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/christina-hoff-sommers/wage-gap_b_2073804.html



The constitution makes no mention of the right to education but thats still a guarantee today. It makes no mention of a right to food(something nearly every other 1st world country guarantees). It was a document written hundreds of years ago and you really think its going to apply to modern ethics.


Not a guarantee, because its not settled law. If the Supreme Court were to take it up today, there is the likelihood Roe V. Wade would be overturned. Of course the Constitution applies today. It is, along with the good conscience of the public, what guarantees our liberties against tyrants who would replace natural law with the dictates of their narcissism.



Theres a difference between human interaction and sexual harassment. I work at a McDonalds and I interact and talk with female coworkers fine, what I dont do is make unwanted sexual comments to them. But I was more referring to sexist hiring standards with this statement.


No, Iiterally meant banning human interaction. Any HR department worth their cost pushes for things like office parties to become extinct, because the liabilities are costly.


Its all why, if I have to guess, those gamers got so trashed by the media. The totalitarianism inherent to liberal ideology has become too much for the public, so its total war to try to retain power over the public.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.