First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply Rights of a person under 18
11622 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 5/16/15 , edited 5/16/15
Unless you can support yourself 100% of the way on everything, I'm just going to laugh at this. Kids these days...smh.
5064 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 5/16/15
I just turned 18, I'm loving my 'rights'.
5379 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Toronto, Canada
Offline
Posted 5/16/15

Nalaniel wrote:

Why do the parents of a child have the right to do as they please and send their child to festivities they find appropriate? For example, a member of the family (cousin) gets married and invites all the "close" relatives, why does the child of the parents that were invited to the marriage has to go to the marriage if it doesn't want to? Just because the parents say so? So a kid can't decide if they want to stay in contact with someone or not because the parents say so? Do you think that's okay and if so, why? Don't you think the kid can make some decisions in its life without influence of their parents?


Sorry dude, get used to it. Your profile says you're 17. Enjoy the marriage all you can cause for the rest of your life you're going to be doing things everyday that you don't want to do. I have to go to an office job which takes me 2 hours one way. If I don't go, I have no money and I die. I'm sure you could technically pack up your stuff, get a job and your own apartment and not have to deal with your parents. Would you prefer that?
zalbik 
10318 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
43 / M / OR
Offline
Posted 5/16/15

Nalaniel wrote:

Why do the parents of a child have the right to do as they please and send their child to festivities they find appropriate? For example, a member of the family (cousin) gets married and invites all the "close" relatives, why does the child of the parents that were invited to the marriage has to go to the marriage if it doesn't want to? Just because the parents say so? So a kid can't decide if they want to stay in contact with someone or not because the parents say so? Do you think that's okay and if so, why? Don't you think the kid can make some decisions in its life without influence of their parents?


In my home if you can pay me for housing, food, transportation, the taxes I pay on your behalf (schooling..ect) then you may stay home. Until then STFU and do as you are told. Also if you do not maintain a "B" average or better in school you will not need to worry about being dragged to the festivities because under my roof you would be begging for mercy and yes you will be going to college and picking a "real" major, not basket weaving

Dont' like it...good.

I have 2 boys, ages 11 and 15, you decide if they live in heaven or hell
11622 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 5/16/15

zalbik wrote:


Nalaniel wrote:

Why do the parents of a child have the right to do as they please and send their child to festivities they find appropriate? For example, a member of the family (cousin) gets married and invites all the "close" relatives, why does the child of the parents that were invited to the marriage has to go to the marriage if it doesn't want to? Just because the parents say so? So a kid can't decide if they want to stay in contact with someone or not because the parents say so? Do you think that's okay and if so, why? Don't you think the kid can make some decisions in its life without influence of their parents?


In my home if you can pay me for housing, food, transportation, the taxes I pay on your behalf (schooling..ect) then you may stay home. Until then STFU and do as you are told. Also if you do not maintain a "B" average or better in school you will not need to worry about being dragged to the festivities because under my roof you would be begging for mercy and yes you will be going to college and picking a "real" major, not basket weaving

Dont' like it...good.

I have 2 boys, ages 11 and 15, you decide if they live in heaven or hell


Damn, wish my parents were that lax back then lol. They wanted straights A's from me, full involvement in sports year round, NHS and debate team involvement and college classes as soon as it was allowed.
zalbik 
10318 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
43 / M / OR
Offline
Posted 5/16/15 , edited 5/16/15

dotsforlife wrote:


zalbik wrote:


Nalaniel wrote:

Why do the parents of a child have the right to do as they please and send their child to festivities they find appropriate? For example, a member of the family (cousin) gets married and invites all the "close" relatives, why does the child of the parents that were invited to the marriage has to go to the marriage if it doesn't want to? Just because the parents say so? So a kid can't decide if they want to stay in contact with someone or not because the parents say so? Do you think that's okay and if so, why? Don't you think the kid can make some decisions in its life without influence of their parents?


In my home if you can pay me for housing, food, transportation, the taxes I pay on your behalf (schooling..ect) then you may stay home. Until then STFU and do as you are told. Also if you do not maintain a "B" average or better in school you will not need to worry about being dragged to the festivities because under my roof you would be begging for mercy and yes you will be going to college and picking a "real" major, not basket weaving

Dont' like it...good.

I have 2 boys, ages 11 and 15, you decide if they live in heaven or hell


Damn, wish my parents were that lax back then lol. They wanted straights A's from me, full involvement in sports year round, NHS and debate team involvement and college classes as soon as it was allowed.


B's keep them alive...A's keep the rewards flowing and me off their backs.
5138 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / Texas
Offline
Posted 5/16/15

dotsforlife wrote:


zalbik wrote:


Nalaniel wrote:

Why do the parents of a child have the right to do as they please and send their child to festivities they find appropriate? For example, a member of the family (cousin) gets married and invites all the "close" relatives, why does the child of the parents that were invited to the marriage has to go to the marriage if it doesn't want to? Just because the parents say so? So a kid can't decide if they want to stay in contact with someone or not because the parents say so? Do you think that's okay and if so, why? Don't you think the kid can make some decisions in its life without influence of their parents?


In my home if you can pay me for housing, food, transportation, the taxes I pay on your behalf (schooling..ect) then you may stay home. Until then STFU and do as you are told. Also if you do not maintain a "B" average or better in school you will not need to worry about being dragged to the festivities because under my roof you would be begging for mercy and yes you will be going to college and picking a "real" major, not basket weaving

Dont' like it...good.

I have 2 boys, ages 11 and 15, you decide if they live in heaven or hell


Damn, wish my parents were that lax back then lol. They wanted straights A's from me, full involvement in sports year round, NHS and debate team involvement and college classes as soon as it was allowed.


No kidding! Those boys have it easy, holy hell. My mom said that it wasn't necessary to take all 4 years of high school - she put me in night school and summer school so I could graduate early. At the time I thought she was the devil and I had no social life.

Now, I couldn't be more grateful really.
11622 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 5/16/15


Yeah, it certainly put me ahead of everyone I knew/grew up with. I'm basically set for a comfortable life. Kids whine now but they'll live and get over it. They'll just be the same way in the future anyways when they have kids.
6981 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / The Bottom of the...
Offline
Posted 5/16/15
I'm about to turn 18 next month. Just in time for the 2016 presidential elections.
10831 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
13 / F / California
Offline
Posted 5/16/15
Show them who is boss and get drunk out of your mind and pee on the cake.

5138 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / Texas
Offline
Posted 5/16/15

dotsforlife wrote:




Oh yeah for sure. All the girls I went to high school with are popping out their 3rd and 4th kid, and I'm over just chillin', making my money, and playing video games.

But that's the funny thing about being a teenager; we all thought our parents were hard but now we get it.

Back to OP: Suck it up, enjoy it while it lasts.

16372 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / New York City
Offline
Posted 5/16/15 , edited 5/16/15
Most parents will give you leeway if you are obedient and do the right thing. Eventually if you go to a lot of the festivities they invite you to I'm pretty sure later down the line they will accept it if you say no to the next invite because you accepted many of their prior invites. Not only that, maybe they want their kid to have some exposure ALSO i know for a fact that parents want to be seen with their kids a lot of time. At my age my dad is still so excited to show me off to his friends when he invites me to places. Most time im busy but i can't be selfish every time and say no. Do most of the stuff you don't want to do when your young :D

This is more than obeying your parents because you live under their roof. Courtesy/respect goes a long way i'm glad that I was both to my parents because they pretty much let me do anything I wanted by the time i was 15 haha. They pretty much never said no to me. Tehy kept my other brother on a tight leech because he was just the opposite of me and yet he always complain how you let him (me) do anything he wanted but not me lol.

As for people saying they can't wait till 18 to have their own rights. It doesn't work like that if you are still living with your parents and they are still paying to feed you paying to keep a roof over your head etc you are still locked down. You have your own rights until you can FINANCIALLY support your self. You could be 30 years old and if your parents still have to take care of you don't even start to think you can be disobedient in anyway.
5727 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19
Offline
Posted 5/16/15
Meh, that situation doesn't sound harsh at all. It's not a big deal. There are worse things parents could make you do. Just pretend to get sick, you might be able to get out of it. I always did that! 8D

But I mean, if they were forcing you to do something horrible and inhumane, that's another story.
zalbik 
10318 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
43 / M / OR
Offline
Posted 5/16/15

VZ68 wrote:

Show them who is boss and get drunk out of your mind and pee on the cake.



When done just right this can get you out of all sorts of things. I am unofficially banned from Idaho by the US department of Energy

23413 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / F / Always my room
Offline
Posted 5/16/15
I mean there are times that I don't want to do the things my parents want me to do and sometimes I'll allow them to know this in hope they'll change their mind ( doesn't normally work haha ) but in the end I do what ever they tell me to do, because they are the ones who are keeping me alive
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.