First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Gamergate: is it really that big a deal?
6506 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 5/16/15 , edited 5/16/15

AzazelOfNexium wrote:


narfington wrote:

Oh god. People are still Gamergating? A bunch of losers harass some lady because of what some jilted ex says, and all of a sudden it's supposed to be some crusade for "ethics in gaming journalism"? Give me a break.



Sounds like you took the blue pill man.

Gamegate has never been about harassing anyone lol. While not a member of gamergate myself, you definitely dont have your facts straight dude.

Instead of buying into the propaganda thats farted out of the asses of every feminist nazi on twitter, you may want to actually research both sides.

Gamergate is an open hashtag, anyone can put #gamergate in a tweet.

Thats like saying, all of the protests in America are bad because of a few rioters taking advantage of a movement in order to hijack it for their own purposes.

Dont forget, the anti gamergate side has also spewed quite alot of threats themselves, the most recent being the bomb threat sent to the gamergate meeting earlier this or last month.

But then again, they are both open to outside parties using the same hash-tag for their own agenda.

Every major gamergate member on youtube is about exposing the corruption of the industry and far left political extremism of the games journalism media where a game cant simply be fun anymore, it has to cater to every special snowflake and make them feel included because artists are no longer allowed artistic freedom in communist america.

ALSO critiquing someone is not harassment, just because you cant handle criticism doesn't mean your being harassed.

Sure hope i didn't trigger you.



This is the only reason why Gamergate is a big deal. Two sides who think they aren't in support or opposition to anything specific, but still have a lot to say about it. Human nature.

Getting the facts straight would assume there are facts that point to conspiracy. Gaming journalism is less about journalism and more about promotion. Nobody ever read Nintendo Power expecting to see a Nintendo game get a bad review. Rare never got bad reviews either, and Donkey Kong 64 was a turd. The big developers get the most attention because that's what draws the readers. Games aren't becoming less artistic, there is just a larger number of commercialized games than there used to be, and companies use all sorts of tactics to get us to buy their products.

Ms. Pac Man didn't come out because somebody thought that Pac Man was sexist. It came out because they wanted girls to put their quarters in machines too, and they assumed a bow would make that happen.

If you want a game catered to you as a snowflake, try a western RPG.

GTA is never going to go politically correct because people buy it for senseless violence and sexual content. Call of Duty does not have female avatars because their buyers want a "realism" that doesn't forsee women in combat operations. Metroid features a female lead because originally it enforced the sci-fi mystery atmosphere. Sonic the Hedgehog is a hedgehog because who cares what he is, run fast and collect rings.

Gamergaters are complaining about the video game industry being an industry while almost exclusively paying into its biggest offenders. Independent games can't garner the same attention as major developers, and if they do and I don't like the game because I don't think it's the right kind of "artistic," it must be some liberal feminist conspiracy?

That's crazy. Stop supporting crazy.
Posted 5/16/15 , edited 5/16/15
Gamergate is actually trying to do the opposite??? They're trying to NOT let there be more diversity in gaming.
I don't take it seriously, & never will. I doubt they'll do much but gamergaters are still annoying af to hear.
9380 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / San Antonio
Offline
Posted 5/16/15

AzazelOfNexium wrote:


Sounds like you took the blue pill man.

Gamegate has never been about harassing anyone lol. While not a member of gamergate myself, you definitely dont have your facts straight dude.

Instead of buying into the propaganda thats farted out of the asses of every feminist nazi on twitter, you may want to actually research both sides.

Gamergate is an open hashtag, anyone can put #gamergate in a tweet.

Thats like saying, all of the protests in America are bad because of a few rioters taking advantage of a movement in order to hijack it for their own purposes.

Dont forget, the anti gamergate side has also spewed quite alot of threats themselves, the most recent being the bomb threat sent to the gamergate meeting earlier this or last month.

But then again, they are both open to outside parties using the same hash-tag for their own agenda.

Every major gamergate member on youtube is about exposing the corruption of the industry and far left political extremism of the games journalism media where a game cant simply be fun anymore, it has to cater to every special snowflake and make them feel included because artists are no longer allowed artistic freedom in communist america.

ALSO critiquing someone is not harassment, just because you cant handle criticism doesn't mean your being harassed.

Sure hope i didn't trigger you.



Don't you mean the red pill? I thought the blue pill was the one that took you out of the matrix and showed you the real world? I don't know, I haven't seen the Matrix in forever.

6506 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 5/16/15

narfington wrote:

Don't you mean the red pill? I thought the blue pill was the one that took you out of the matrix and showed you the real world? I don't know, I haven't seen the Matrix in forever.



I took them both. Was I not supposed to take them both? Should I induce vomiting?
9032 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M
Offline
Posted 5/16/15
I spent a short while reading about gamergate some time back. I read what different people were saying it was about, but in the end, every time that I ran across a discussion related to it, it seemed to be a bunch of people saying a couple of specific women were the devil, and most women were bad, and wanted to ruin everyone's fun. I am not trying to say that is or isn't what it was about. You just can't really fault people for thinking it was a bunch of misogynistic rubbish, since (at least around the time I was reading about it) that was pretty much the first thing you found when reading about it, and it seemed to take some digging to find anything vaguely rational being said on either side.

I could get behind some of the core concepts here and there, but pretty much every argument I saw people make could be characterized as vaguely psychotic, and certainly lacking in any sort of logical structure. Even when the logical structure was there, the premises of the arguments seemed flawed.

I chalked it up to more time spent reading about humans doing puzzling things, and paid no more attention to it.
9380 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / San Antonio
Offline
Posted 5/16/15 , edited 5/16/15

morechunch wrote:


narfington wrote:

Don't you mean the red pill? I thought the blue pill was the one that took you out of the matrix and showed you the real world? I don't know, I haven't seen the Matrix in forever.



I took them both. Was I not supposed to take them both? Should I induce vomiting?



No, I think they cancel each other out, so you should be okay. Just make sure to drink plenty of kool-aid.

1126 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / A Long Way From H...
Offline
Posted 5/16/15

Sarah_Blight wrote:


I doubt it. It may sound bad, but in the long run it might do a lot of good for diversifying the gaming community.


Except it has nothing to do about diversifying the community, but instead about ethics in journalism.
57002 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Planet Sanno
Offline
Posted 5/16/15
What I take from this particular controversy is that it is likely to punch more holes in the video game fan base, scaring off people who might otherwise be actively involved in the community.
6506 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 5/16/15 , edited 5/16/15

PsychedelicFear wrote:


Sarah_Blight wrote:


I doubt it. It may sound bad, but in the long run it might do a lot of good for diversifying the gaming community.


Except it has nothing to do about diversifying the community, but instead about ethics in journalism.


Except gaming journalism is not the same as news journalism. Would you expect to agree with every restaurant review you read in the paper? Would you think it's unethical for the reviewer to pick new local restaurants with established reputations elsewhere or restaurants with unusual niches to review instead of randomly drawing your favorite restaurant out of a hat? And then would it be unethical if that reviewer and editor chose to publish the good reviews and ignore the mediocre and bad ones?

I keep encouraging people to look at Nintendo Power if they really think gaming journalism needs to be held to the same unbiased, information based standards of journalism as the news media. They are opinion pieces to get people excited about games, and the occasional "not much replay value" disclaimer is about all you can ask for from an ethical standpoint.
19563 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / NYC Metro Area
Offline
Posted 5/16/15
Honestly, I really don't care about it either way.
1126 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / A Long Way From H...
Offline
Posted 5/16/15 , edited 5/16/15

morechunch wrote:


PsychedelicFear wrote:


Sarah_Blight wrote:


I doubt it. It may sound bad, but in the long run it might do a lot of good for diversifying the gaming community.


Except it has nothing to do about diversifying the community, but instead about ethics in journalism.


Except gaming journalism is not the same as news journalism. Would you expect to agree with every restaurant review you read in the paper? Would you think it's unethical for the reviewer to pick new local restaurants with established reputations elsewhere or restaurants with unusual niches to review instead of randomly drawing your favorite restaurant out of a hat? And then would it be unethical if that reviewer and editor chose to publish the good reviews and ignore the mediocre and bad ones?

I keep encouraging people to look at Nintendo Power if they really think gaming journalism needs to be held to the same unbiased, information based standards of journalism as the news media. They are opinion pieces to get people excited about games, and the occasional "not much replay value" disclaimer is about all you can ask for from an ethical standpoint.


You shouldn't have a market-based interest in the very market that you review, that's one of the most fundamental points of journalism's ethics; one that the gaming industry is often breaking.
24273 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 5/16/15

PsychedelicFear wrote:


You shouldn't have a market-based interest in the very market that you review, that's one of the most fundamental points of journalism's ethics; one that the gaming industry is often breaking.


lawl at you taking gaming journalism seriously. It's noble and I agree with you 100% but in order for IGN and the like to keep the lights on they need to "play nice" with the powers that be, like EA and Ubisoft. It's like that launch day embargo shit that transpired last year.
14947 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Massachusetts
Offline
Posted 5/16/15

anzn wrote:

Gamergate is actually trying to do the opposite??? They're trying to NOT let there be more diversity in gaming.
I don't take it seriously, & never will. I doubt they'll do much but gamergaters are still annoying af to hear.


I think she's trying to say that GamerGate will end up backfiring on itself, that by railing against attempts to diversify the games industry, people will actually start paying closer attention to those issues and the industry will become more diverse.
6506 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 5/16/15 , edited 5/16/15

PsychedelicFear wrote:


You shouldn't have a market-based interest in the very market that you review, that's one of the most fundamental points of journalism's ethics; one that the gaming industry is often breaking.


Ok, but what's the alternative? A gaming news site that limits itself to development history, graphic design techniques, and general gameplay mechanics with no opinion mixed in? People would rather hear what's especially cool about a game when they're browsing game news and making the decision to buy into it. It's silly to even see it as journalism when it's just another arm of the game industry.

Without market-based interest, this stuff wouldn't exist in the first place. All they cover is games and things game-related with the intention of getting people into a game they might not have had interest in otherwise. If you don't want them to do that, then you're asking them to write tutorials or nothing. And if you're asking them to write nothing, you're basically saying you can't help reading and believing everything they put out. And if you can't help reading and believing everything they put out, maybe that's a problem that has bled into your reading up on the gamergate issues.

Game journalism is exempt from the same ethics standards as news media because it is a totally different monster, closer to advertising. Ethics cannot be injected into it, which is not to say it's not useful, but it is what it is, and you can find lots of amateur information and reviews on any game of interest.
1126 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / A Long Way From H...
Offline
Posted 5/16/15

morechunch wrote:


PsychedelicFear wrote:


You shouldn't have a market-based interest in the very market that you review, that's one of the most fundamental points of journalism's ethics; one that the gaming industry is often breaking.


Ok, but what's the alternative? A gaming news site that limits itself to development history, graphic design techniques, and general gameplay mechanics with no opinion mixed in? People would rather hear what's especially cool about a game when they're browsing game news and making the decision to buy into it. It's silly to even see it as journalism when it's just another arm of the game industry.

Without market-based interest, this stuff wouldn't exist in the first place. All they cover is games and things game-related with the intention of getting people into a game they might not have had interest in otherwise. If you don't want them to do that, then you're asking them to write tutorials or nothing. And if you're asking them to write nothing, you're basically saying you can't help reading and believing everything they put out. And if you can't help reading and believing everything they put out, maybe that's a problem that has bled into your reading up on the gamergate issues.

Game journalism is exempt from the same ethics standards as news media because it is a totally different monster, closer to advertising. Ethics cannot be injected into it, which is not to say it's not useful, but it is what it is, and you can find lots of amateur information and reviews on any game of interest.


Having slept with someone involved in the news story you're about to cover doesn't fly with normal jounalism, it shouldn't with gaming journalism; having a share in a company that you're reviewing wouldn't fly in normal journalism, it shouldn't in gaming journalism. When I was doing journalism I was taught that something as small as having a friend within a circle that you're covering is enough to bring the legitimacy of your piece to question.
Gaming journalism has a lot of different lights to it: Reviews, covering rumors, following a company's antics, a development team's progress — anything gaming related they are on top of. It's not simple 'advertising', having people compare it to such shows just how low the idea of it has fallen. That is why curators are now becoming the titans of the "covering" of gaming-related content, and journalism sites on the steady decline.
The free market is steadily reflecting, and showing the awareness of the public as to the kind of bullshit being fed to them.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.