First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Gamergate: is it really that big a deal?
11251 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / PH3NF1X
Offline
Posted 5/17/15

morechunch wrote:


ExiAHesP wrote:


I wasn't talking about myself, just the stories of the 12 year olds who suicide because of the things the internet and those other ones in the 16 to 29 age group too



Which is what I mean by stop.

You'll find it in my earlier responses. Stop supporting crazy.

Sorry, eventually I forget I'm talking to people who never read what I said before. It's all very consistent.


I'll support crazy if want to!
I'll not support crazy if want to!

I read most of your stuff I'm not reading every quote, there's too many quotes, you will probably reply with a quote

/quote'd "then stop ererer"

stop what?

I said what I didn't like about what people do online, the gamergate thing is really weird.
2345 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/17/15
Anyone ever heard of the expression beating a dead horse? Seriously if people stopped making a big deal out of everything in life, time to move on and let it die.

People are way too obsessed with this person that did that because of that reason or whatever.
11251 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / PH3NF1X
Offline
Posted 5/17/15
this is pretty much the first time I've heard of it, a hashtag and few pages on the internet that don't make a whole lot of sense, seems more like scandal and conspirators
1240 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 5/17/15 , edited 5/17/15
Idiots on both sides /endofstory
6506 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 5/17/15 , edited 5/17/15

ExiAHesP wrote:

I'll support crazy if want to!
I'll not support crazy if want to!

I read most of your stuff I'm not reading every quote, there's too many quotes, you will probably reply with a quote

/quote'd "then stop ererer"

stop what?

I said what I didn't like about what people do online, the gamergate thing is really weird.


I'm not one to disappoint, and thank you for supporting my version of crazy.

Gamergate is extremely weird, I've never once given it credit as a real argument, but I still see the importance of pulling its members out of their shells and asking them to participate.

But people are weird, and gaming journalism is weird and different from news journalism.

Gaming journalism is intended for geeks like me to find out about games I might be interested in buying. News journalism is for geeks like me who want to know exactly what's going on in the world. Crunchyroll is for geeks like you and me both to watch anime/read manga that is otherwise unavailable.

When it doesn't make sense, geeks like me should find independent sources, or at best supporting stories, without forgetting who is governed by ethics.

With news, it's one thing, with games, it's another. They are wildly different. We are after something that sustains us.

Now to complete a metaphor that nobody will understand or want to respond to:

http://www.prairiefirenewspaper.com/2013/02/nebraska-bird-feeder-birds-whats-in-your-backyard
Sordel 
40 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
48 / M
Offline
Posted 5/17/15

ExiAHesP wrote:this is pretty much the first time I've heard of it


Huh, can I come and live under your stone with you, because I certainly wish that I had never heard about it?

There's a lot of confusion about Gamergate and the way it's been covered has only made it more difficult to discuss. The debate about journalistic ethics was ongoing before Gamergate (there was "Gerstamanngate" before that, for example, which was about advertiser pressure on games journalists) and Anita Sarkeesian was subject to personal attacks before Gamergate.

What happened to Zoe Quinn poisoned the debate because it made it look as though "discussing journalistic ethics" was just a cover for bullying particular women. When the hashtag arose it was explicitly taking Quinn as an example of developer malfeasance or, worse, quid pro quo: the idiots who ran with that tended to shunt everything up an unpleasant siding.

But, yes, Gamergate is a huge deal. Just like the "Otaku Killer" it can be seen as a cultural flashpoint for the stigmatisation of a widespread fan culture by mass market media.
6506 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 5/17/15 , edited 5/17/15

Sordel wrote:


ExiAHesP wrote:this is pretty much the first time I've heard of it


Huh, can I come and live under your stone with you, because I certainly wish that I had never heard about it?

There's a lot of confusion about Gamergate and the way it's been covered has only made it more difficult to discuss. The debate about journalistic ethics was ongoing before Gamergate (there was "Gerstamanngate" before that, for example, which was about advertiser pressure on games journalists) and Anita Sarkeesian was subject to personal attacks before Gamergate.

What happened to Zoe Quinn poisoned the debate because it made it look as though "discussing journalistic ethics" was just a cover for bullying particular women. When the hashtag arose it was explicitly taking Quinn as an example of developer malfeasance or, worse, quid pro quo: the idiots who ran with that tended to shunt everything up an unpleasant siding.

But, yes, Gamergate is a huge deal. Just like the "Otaku Killer" it can be seen as a cultural flashpoint for the stigmatisation of a widespread fan culture by mass market media.


I'm baffled by the idea that gamergate is a huge deal.

It's like saying that somebody who went to a Chinese buffet for the first time and loved it is representative of every person who likes Chinese food.

Never been to a Chinese restaurant but love buffets? Let's go to the Chinese buffet. Like everything? Let's go to Rice Bowl and Jade Palace a bunch of times and decide which place you like better, because I like Rose Garden but it's out of the way.

These gaming journalism sites serve as an introduction. Of course any self-respecting gamer would consider their views trashy or pandering. But these same gamers rail on "noobs" and somehow girls instead of accepting them, so it's all a self-defeating argument.

Of course, you're welcome to debate. I'm not going to label you as a noob just because you have good ideas that won't work.
Sordel 
40 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
48 / M
Offline
Posted 5/17/15

morechunch wrote:I'm baffled by the idea that gamergate is a huge deal.

It's like saying that somebody who went to a Chinese buffet for the first time and loved it is representative of every person who likes Chinese food.


Not sure that I'm getting your metaphor. Is your point that real gamers never depended on games journalism in the first place? That's true, but it's not why Gamergate is a big deal.

It's a big deal because there are endless stories running in non-specialist media about how gamers are misogynist Twitter trolls who like to issue death threats to any woman who dares enter their world. Forget about the fact that many gamers are female or that many are too old to much both with Twitter etc. etc. It's really set the gaming fandom (I won't say community because there doesn't seem to be much community there) back thirty years.

At my age I'm not going to meet many people of my generation who can discuss the relative merits of video games, but I know plenty who have a stereotypical image of gamers or can form an opinion of Bayonetta based on a selected image. It's hard enough without stories of some woman being driven out of her home.
11251 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / PH3NF1X
Offline
Posted 5/17/15

Sordel wrote:


ExiAHesP wrote:this is pretty much the first time I've heard of it


Huh, can I come and live under your stone with you, because I certainly wish that I had never heard about it?

There's a lot of confusion about Gamergate and the way it's been covered has only made it more difficult to discuss. The debate about journalistic ethics was ongoing before Gamergate (there was "Gerstamanngate" before that, for example, which was about advertiser pressure on games journalists) and Anita Sarkeesian was subject to personal attacks before Gamergate.

What happened to Zoe Quinn poisoned the debate because it made it look as though "discussing journalistic ethics" was just a cover for bullying particular women. When the hashtag arose it was explicitly taking Quinn as an example of developer malfeasance or, worse, quid pro quo: the idiots who ran with that tended to shunt everything up an unpleasant siding.

But, yes, Gamergate is a huge deal. Just like the "Otaku Killer" it can be seen as a cultural flashpoint for the stigmatisation of a widespread fan culture by mass market media.




well, my stone is weird.
but yeah this would be the first I've heard about it or the first time I've ever looked it up.
nothing too flashy

BTW WHAT THE HECK IS THE OTHER GUY SAYING ABOUT GAMERS AND CHINESE FOOD!? HAVE TO BE STRONG STEREOTYPE TO LIKE A BUFFET AND CHINESE EH?!
Posted 5/17/15
Is this still a thing? I know game journalism has some serious issues, but GamerGate seems pretty ineffectual. The trolls made quick work forcing out any reasoned discussion of ethics. They did some what ironically end up boost Zoe Quinn's career, she probably got more positive attention (speaking engagements etc) than she probably would have otherwise.
33359 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Socal
Offline
Posted 5/17/15 , edited 5/17/15
I don't really care that much since I don't read game reviews anyway and I just play games, too busy playing to care.

I only though that these game review guys like Kotaku, Polygon and junk, where straight up assholes who insult their own target audience. Not that I read their articles anyway.

Also think GG and anti-GG just want to bring politics into gaming.

Luckily the thing that speaks louder than all this political bullshit, is the wallets of gamers (buyers) who the majority are male (though it's changing now with the newer generation).
29840 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 5/17/15

megahobbit wrote:


vanguard1234523 wrote:


narfington wrote:

Oh god. People are still Gamergating? A bunch of losers harass some lady because of what some jilted ex says, and all of a sudden it's supposed to be some crusade for "ethics in gaming journalism"? Give me a break.


At this point the movement exists solely for the purpose of justifying its continued existence. Anyone still associated with it at this point is deluded to the extreme. It's an insular mob of man-children who spend their time validating their own preconceptions about social justice topics and feminist critics they don't like, co-opted by right-wing pundits who feign an interest in video games like Adam Baldwin, Christina Hoff Sommers, and Milo Yiannopoulos. They're an inherently destructive movement whose ultimate goals could charitably be called nebulous but perhaps more aptly described as non-existent. They just seem to want to make life miserable for people like Anita Sarkeesian and Zoe Quinn, and drown out any discussion about issues of diversity and gender representation in gaming.

I would tread lightly with this thread though, discussions of GamerGate inevitably become a toxic, festering morass of hostility that end up going nowhere.


Also this is pretty much my standpoint on the issue.

Anyway ill just throw out my obligatory fedora joke right now before the real shitstorm starts.


Take it away Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7DgtKb6kN8&


lmAOOOOOOOO
30236 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
It doesn't matter.
Offline
Posted 5/17/15
I never relied on reviews of games to chose games and her games didn't interest me before I found out about the stuff going on.
So it did nothing for me except encouraging me to continue what I was already doing.
29277 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M
Offline
Posted 5/17/15 , edited 5/17/15
There have always been idiots, trolls, and death threats on both sides of the argument, against both men and women.

So no, it's not really a big deal. Just the internet as usual.

I will say that it outed some game sites that are really hateful and spiteful to their readers, though. Nice to know I can avoid places like Kotaku and Polygon, not that I wasn't already because the quality of their work is awful in general.
15947 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / Cold and High
Offline
Posted 5/17/15 , edited 5/17/15
just going to post this http://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/2v77ux/important_words_from_and_an_anonymous_biscuit/

Well she can't trust the internet though! (take it like the others do!)
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.