First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
Post Reply Why all the threads on Feminism?
26434 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Future Gadget Lab...
Offline
Posted 5/20/15 , edited 5/21/15
I'm not saying feminism is bad or anything and it should be talked about, but doesn't it seem kinda weird that they are everywhere despite this being an anime site?

Before you say it, I know this is a general discussions forum, but I want to know: why do so many people want to create these threads? Why does there seem to be more feminism threads than threads about other civil rights issues? Why do people feel so strongly about supporting or opposing the movement? Is it something in the news or in politics right now?

I intend to keep myself neutral on this discussion on feminism itself since I have no intention of influencing the direction of the thread, but I still want to know.
869 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / London
Offline
Posted 5/20/15 , edited 5/21/15

Nightblade370 wrote:

I'm not saying feminism is bad or anything and it should be talked about, but doesn't it seem kinda weird that they are everywhere despite this being an anime site?

Before you say it, I know this is a general discussions forum, but I want to know: why do so many people want to create these threads? Why does there seem to be more feminism threads than threads about other civil rights issues? Why do people feel so strongly about supporting or opposing the movement? Is it something in the news or in politics right now?

I intend to keep myself neutral on this discussion on feminism itself, but I still want to know.


Why must you keep yourself neutral? Look at facts and make a decision don't just be neutral because it's safer and don't want to offend people. Look at facts, men and women as individuals do deserve equal rights but at the moment they do not have equal rights, it's hard to see which gender has more of the disadvantage. But at the same time, men and women think differently and are biologically different. In short, men and women because they are individuals first and foremost deserve equal rights but are NOT equal because they have different strengths and weaknesses.
3057 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
The 2D World
Offline
Posted 5/20/15
I Personally have no idea. You're right about there being a lot of those threads though. Maybe it's to bring attention to some of the stuff. Maybe it's just because they can't think of anything else. Either way there's are a lot of them. My explanation goes to one of the aforementioned reasons. No proof for either just tossing around ideas. A good solid reason would be nice though.
869 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / London
Offline
Posted 5/20/15
Feminism is about civil rights by the way and because it is people are getting really passionate about their beliefs which may not necessarily be correct and it's annoying because people can't do anything since they're immediately labelled sexist. For example, shouldn't the physical requirements for police officers be the same regardless of gender? If you really want to keep people safe. There are debates around that topic but it really is a valid point.
Posted 5/20/15
It's just popping up literally everywhere now.
I think it's because people are finally just noticing more of these issues. And maybe also feel more comfortable speaking up about it now. A lot of the bigger celebrities in media are talking about social issues as well. I mean, Beyonce announced she was a feminist & her & Jay-Z donated a bunch of bail money for the arrested protesters in Ferguson.
Posted 5/20/15

piratequeen369 wrote:

Feminism is about civil rights by the way and because it is people are getting really passionate about their beliefs which may not necessarily be correct and it's annoying because people can't do anything since they're immediately labelled sexist. For example, shouldn't the physical requirements for police officers be the same regardless of gender? If you really want to keep people safe. There are debates around that topic but it really is a valid point.


Also feminism is about achieving gender equality. not really civil rights. also i'm not really sure by what you mean by physical requirements for police officers.
1238 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 5/20/15
3030 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Star Ocean
Offline
Posted 5/21/15
Hundredth monkey, perhaps?
869 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / London
Offline
Posted 5/21/15

anzn wrote:

Also feminism is about achieving gender equality. not really civil rights. also i'm not really sure by what you mean by physical requirements for police officers.


The dictionary definition of civil rights:


"The rights of citizens to political and social freedom and equality."


Well, in some countries there are requirements for police officers, if a police officer engages in a fight and a criminal is twice their size because the police office is a female and the criminal was some large muscular man and this man got away, that'd be very dangerous for citizens if the man was highly dangerous.
26434 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Future Gadget Lab...
Offline
Posted 5/21/15

piratequeen369 wrote:


Nightblade370 wrote:

I'm not saying feminism is bad or anything and it should be talked about, but doesn't it seem kinda weird that they are everywhere despite this being an anime site?

Before you say it, I know this is a general discussions forum, but I want to know: why do so many people want to create these threads? Why does there seem to be more feminism threads than threads about other civil rights issues? Why do people feel so strongly about supporting or opposing the movement? Is it something in the news or in politics right now?

I intend to keep myself neutral on this discussion on feminism itself, but I still want to know.


Why must you keep yourself neutral? Look at facts and make a decision don't just be neutral because it's safer and don't want to offend people. Look at facts, men and women as individuals do deserve equal rights but at the moment they do not have equal rights, it's hard to see which gender has more of the disadvantage. But at the same time, men and women think differently and are biologically different. In short, men and women because they are individuals first and foremost deserve equal rights but are NOT equal because they have different strengths and weaknesses.


I'll say this once. I have a stance on the feminist movement and I'll give you a vital hint: I am the only male raised in a lesbian headed household.

The reason why I presented myself neutral is because I didn't want my opinion influencing the thread. That is all.
869 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / London
Offline
Posted 5/21/15

Nightblade370 wrote:

I'll say this once. I have a stance on the feminist movement and I'll give you a vital hint: I am the only male raised in a lesbian headed household.

The reason why I presented myself neutral is because I didn't want my opinion influencing the thread. That is all.


I don't understand how being raised in a "lesbian headed" household means anything. By the way, that sounds interesting, how was that for you? Anyway, back to the main topic, you should just say what you want to say, people don't make their opinions based on what you say, don't worry about it.
58239 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29
Offline
Posted 5/21/15
Hmm, I will say this. I am by no means a chauvinist or bigot. Yet I don't understand what right, liberties, and freedoms are being denied to women at the moment. I by all means do not support discrimination, but I don't understand what happened. To me, it seems to be objections over content in the media that particular individuals find offensive and a sort of prudish counter-movement to the Sexual Revolution of the Boomer generation.

Maybe a kind feminist could lay it out in simple terms for me, as I just don't understand what's wrong (besides Anita Snarkesian wanting to line her pockets).
26434 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Future Gadget Lab...
Offline
Posted 5/21/15

piratequeen369 wrote:


Nightblade370 wrote:

I'll say this once. I have a stance on the feminist movement and I'll give you a vital hint: I am the only male raised in a lesbian headed household.

The reason why I presented myself neutral is because I didn't want my opinion influencing the thread. That is all.


I don't understand how being raised in a "lesbian headed" household means anything. By the way, that sounds interesting, how was that for you? Anyway, back to the main topic, you should just say what you want to say, people don't make their opinions based on what you say, don't worry about it.


1) Issues related to sex and issues related to sexual orientation are highly correlated, hence why they call discrimination against the gay community "heterosexism"

2) I grew up like any other kid, except I had to be more cautious of conservative and religious types.

3) People have their own opinions, but how they choose to express them depends on the context, so what I say does matter. If I stated my opinion, I'd be creating a bandwagon effect for others to follow or to strongly oppose.

I'm heading to bed; it's 12 AM over here, so I'll be coming back once the thread's matured.
26434 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Future Gadget Lab...
Offline
Posted 5/21/15

Nightblade370 wrote:


piratequeen369 wrote:


Nightblade370 wrote:

I'll say this once. I have a stance on the feminist movement and I'll give you a vital hint: I am the only male raised in a lesbian headed household.

The reason why I presented myself neutral is because I didn't want my opinion influencing the thread. That is all.


I don't understand how being raised in a "lesbian headed" household means anything. By the way, that sounds interesting, how was that for you? Anyway, back to the main topic, you should just say what you want to say, people don't make their opinions based on what you say, don't worry about it.


1) Issues related to sex and issues related to sexual orientation are highly correlated, hence why they call discrimination against the gay community "heterosexism"

2) I grew up like any other kid, except I had to be more cautious of conservative and religious types.

3) People have their own opinions, but how they choose to express them depends on the context, so what I say does matter. If I stated my opinion, I'd be creating a bandwagon effect for others to follow or to strongly oppose.

I'm heading to bed; it's 12 AM over here, so I'll be coming back once the thread's matured.


P.S. To clarify my first point, the gay community faces a lot of issues, inherently, with sex discrimination notably due to offensive gender stereotypes, but also for wanting to be more expressive with exploring gender and gender neutrality.
869 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / London
Offline
Posted 5/21/15

Nightblade370 wrote:

1) Issues related to sex and issues related to sexual orientation are highly correlated, hence why they call discrimination against the gay community "heterosexism"

2) I grew up like any other kid, except I had to be more cautious of conservative and religious types.

3) People have their own opinions, but how they choose to express them depends on the context, so what I say does matter. If I stated my opinion, I'd be creating a bandwagon effect for others to follow or to strongly oppose.

I'm heading to bed; it's 12 AM over here, so I'll be coming back once the thread's matured.


All right then.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.