First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
Post Reply Why all the threads on Feminism?
25521 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / United States of...
Offline
Posted 5/21/15
It's the "in" thing to talk about right now and people want to win Internet points. The same reason 99% of threads on any forum are started.
4010 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 5/21/15 , edited 5/21/15
There are so many threads on Feminism here because geek/nerd culture is highly misogynistic and hostile towards its female members, and it's a problem that needs to be addressed.
58237 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29
Offline
Posted 5/21/15

erudite2961 wrote:

There are so many threads on Feminism here because geek/nerd culture is highly misogynistic and hostile towards its female members, and it's a problem that needs to be addressed.


Where does this come from? Is there some report or data I missed out on stating this? Likewise, what constitutes "nerd/geek"? I think you're tilting at windmills my friend.
725 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 5/21/15
Because trolls obviously.
11083 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / everywhere and an...
Offline
Posted 5/21/15
i think the whole social rights thing that's going on right now is just lining someone's pockets right now. i think I'll stay chaotic neutral on this issue...





and at the right moment devour the souls of the zealots of both sides...Mwaaahahahahahhaaaaa!
>;3 it's a promise

PS: Not evil.... Don't want to roll for wondering damage again lol
27486 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Kaguya's Panties
Offline
Posted 5/21/15

piratequeen369 wrote:


Nightblade370 wrote:

I'm not saying feminism is bad or anything and it should be talked about, but doesn't it seem kinda weird that they are everywhere despite this being an anime site?

Before you say it, I know this is a general discussions forum, but I want to know: why do so many people want to create these threads? Why does there seem to be more feminism threads than threads about other civil rights issues? Why do people feel so strongly about supporting or opposing the movement? Is it something in the news or in politics right now?

I intend to keep myself neutral on this discussion on feminism itself, but I still want to know.


Why must you keep yourself neutral? Look at facts and make a decision don't just be neutral because it's safer and don't want to offend people. Look at facts, men and women as individuals do deserve equal rights but at the moment they do not have equal rights, it's hard to see which gender has more of the disadvantage. But at the same time, men and women think differently and are biologically different. In short, men and women because they are individuals first and foremost deserve equal rights but are NOT equal because they have different strengths and weaknesses.


Why must we make a decision on which side to take? There's nothing wrong with being neutral on this subject.
869 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / London
Offline
Posted 5/21/15 , edited 5/21/15

saksiss wrote:

Why must we make a decision on which side to take? There's nothing wrong with being neutral on this subject.


Because feminism concerns you, are you not part of society?

If you are to have a child, why can't you get maternity leave at your job like your wife can? Is the father not important for the child's well-being?
27230 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 5/21/15 , edited 5/21/15

saksiss wrote:


piratequeen369 wrote:


Nightblade370 wrote:

I'm not saying feminism is bad or anything and it should be talked about, but doesn't it seem kinda weird that they are everywhere despite this being an anime site?

Before you say it, I know this is a general discussions forum, but I want to know: why do so many people want to create these threads? Why does there seem to be more feminism threads than threads about other civil rights issues? Why do people feel so strongly about supporting or opposing the movement? Is it something in the news or in politics right now?

I intend to keep myself neutral on this discussion on feminism itself, but I still want to know.


Why must you keep yourself neutral? Look at facts and make a decision don't just be neutral because it's safer and don't want to offend people. Look at facts, men and women as individuals do deserve equal rights but at the moment they do not have equal rights, it's hard to see which gender has more of the disadvantage. But at the same time, men and women think differently and are biologically different. In short, men and women because they are individuals first and foremost deserve equal rights but are NOT equal because they have different strengths and weaknesses.


Why must we make a decision on which side to take? There's nothing wrong with being neutral on this subject.



The for-it-or-against it mentality is dangerous and breeds conflict. There's no obligation to hop onto either side if neither side seems to represent what you believe and/or you are, as of yet, unsure of yourself. You might even agree with parts of either or both sides but disagree with other things. Making a choice prematurely or zealously and blindly defending just one side creates fertile grounds for misunderstanding and misinformation. In this matter, I'd say that understanding is more important than the ultimate choice you make, more important than merely putting a convenient label on what you believe.

Don't lose sight of the goal by paying too much attention to your own feet. The goal is reasonable equality and it really doesn't matter how you approach it as long as your approach is rational and gets you to that goal.

Indeed, there is nothing innately wrong with neutrality or honestly saying that you don't know. I'm more concerned when people make choices and don't think things through. Pretending the matter is black and white when it is mostly gray isn't very good for the movement or for people who oppose it, IMO.
27486 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Kaguya's Panties
Offline
Posted 5/21/15

piratequeen369 wrote:


saksiss wrote:

Why must we make a decision on which side to take? There's nothing wrong with being neutral on this subject.


Because feminism concerns you, are you not part of society?

If you are to have a child, why can't you get maternity leave at your job like your wife can? Is the father not important for the child's well-being?


No, it doesn't concern me in the slightest. By the way, I've no interest in wasting my time or finances by finding a spouse or having a child, unlike all of the desperate fools.
46382 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Sweden
Offline
Posted 5/21/15
General, you can post anything here... If you want a specific subject then go to it's sub category thread....
869 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / London
Offline
Posted 5/21/15

saksiss wrote:


piratequeen369 wrote:


saksiss wrote:

Why must we make a decision on which side to take? There's nothing wrong with being neutral on this subject.


Because feminism concerns you, are you not part of society?

If you are to have a child, why can't you get maternity leave at your job like your wife can? Is the father not important for the child's well-being?


No, it doesn't concern me in the slightest. By the way, I've no interest in wasting my time or finances by finding a spouse or having a child, unlike all of the desperate fools.


It was only an example. It does concern you, it's about the equality of men and women, I suppose if you're going to deny that there's not much I can say to convince you. What I said was only an example, I didn't literally mean that you had a child I was only saying if you were to have one, you would get no break from work. It may feel as if it doesn't concern you now because you're a young guy (yes, I know, I'm younger, no need to comment on it) but as you establish yourself in society more and more, the older you get the more you'll realize that in some career paths men have the advantage and in another you'll realize women do.
27486 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Kaguya's Panties
Offline
Posted 5/21/15

piratequeen369 wrote:


saksiss wrote:


piratequeen369 wrote:


saksiss wrote:

Why must we make a decision on which side to take? There's nothing wrong with being neutral on this subject.


Because feminism concerns you, are you not part of society?

If you are to have a child, why can't you get maternity leave at your job like your wife can? Is the father not important for the child's well-being?


No, it doesn't concern me in the slightest. By the way, I've no interest in wasting my time or finances by finding a spouse or having a child, unlike all of the desperate fools.


It was only an example. It does concern you, it's about the equality of men and women, I suppose if you're going to deny that there's not much I can say to convince you. What I said was only an example, I didn't literally mean that you had a child I was only saying if you were to have one, you would get no break from work. It may feel as if it doesn't concern you now because you're a young guy (yes, I know, I'm younger, no need to comment on it) but as you establish yourself in society more and more, the older you get the more you'll realize that in some career paths men have the advantage and in another you'll realize women do.


Yes, I understand that it was only an example, and I was only responding to said example. Also you're right, I cannot be convinced to believe this is important in any way, and I cannot think up any scenario in which I would care about something like this. The only reason I comment is that I believe there's nothing wrong with people not picking a side in this whole feminism debacle. It's also nice to get +2 CR points :3
869 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / London
Offline
Posted 5/21/15

saksiss wrote:

Yes, I understand that it was only an example, and I was only responding to said example. Also you're right, I cannot be convinced to believe this is important in any way, and I cannot think up any scenario in which I would care about something like this. The only reason I comment is that I believe there's nothing wrong with people not picking a side in this whole feminism debacle. It's also nice to get +2 CR points :3


I don't think it's "wrong" I just think you should have opinions on the topic, I interpreted "neutral" as not participating and has long made it clear that he did not mean that but rather that he sits on the fence whereas you are actually the sort of person I have a problem with, not that it matters: free cr points, right?!
27486 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Kaguya's Panties
Offline
Posted 5/21/15

piratequeen369 wrote:


saksiss wrote:

Yes, I understand that it was only an example, and I was only responding to said example. Also you're right, I cannot be convinced to believe this is important in any way, and I cannot think up any scenario in which I would care about something like this. The only reason I comment is that I believe there's nothing wrong with people not picking a side in this whole feminism debacle. It's also nice to get +2 CR points :3


I don't think it's "wrong" I just think you should have opinions on the topic, I interpreted "neutral" as not participating and has long made it clear that he did not mean that but rather that he sits on the fence whereas you are actually the sort of person I have a problem with, not that it matters: free cr points, right?!


Ah, I see what you're saying. Well I don't believe everybody should have an opinion on it either. It's just another "thing" in this world. Frankly, I applaud all those who don't care to have an opinion on it. Just goes to show you that they, like myself, don't get roped into this whole mole hill turned into a mountain, deal. They get 2 thumbs up and a cookie.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.