First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Post Reply why are all anime characters white
32709 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / So-Cal
Offline
Posted 6/2/15
people just don't get it i guess, another thread will pop up again with the same question
xxJing 
37175 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Duckburg
Offline
Posted 6/2/15
Why do they all look white should be the proper question. The answer to that is diversity.

99.9%, meaning all barring a mutation, pure Japanese people have naturally pitch black hair and dark brown eyes. Actually it would be safe to say that 99.9% of all people in the world who don't have a European ancestor have extremely dark hair and dark eyes.

Skin complexion is variable. There are Japanese as white as Jim Gaffigan and there are Japanese as dark as Will Smith. However a lighter skin tone is culturally viewed as regal and admired.

Anime characters possess different hair and eye colors, frequently blonde hair and blue eyes, even though the setting may state that the character is Japanese, because they want to make their characters diverse looking. It becomes difficult to tell anime characters apart if they are all monochrome.

27230 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 6/2/15 , edited 6/2/15
Pale skin is traditionally considered beautiful because people who work outdoors in the sun and slave away in the heat are darker. Also, a cartoon character tends to have a default ethnicity, depending on the one who created it.

Pale skin doesn't necessarily mean the character is supposed to be a white person. If you're just talking about the pale skin tone, however, I can sort of agree. It's more entertaining to me when the characters appear very diverse. Not as extreme as those in One Piece (although OP is entertaining to me), but you get the idea.


theYchromosome wrote:

This was linked on CR a few years ago, and I think it probably states it the best:

https://abagond.wordpress.com/2010/06/16/why-do-the-japanese-draw-themselves-as-white/

What nationality is this person?


A white person will probably see it as white, a japanese as japanese, etc. Because I'm American, I default to thinking of the person in the picture as similar to me. A japanese will probably see it as japanese. To make it a girl, I add a dress. If I want to make the person look american to me the job is already done. If I want it to look japanese, then I add "japanese" features. If I'm japanese, and I want to make the picture look japanese, then it's already done -- it looks like a "japanese" person to me. However if I want to draw an american, then I'll add blonde hair, or a hamburger, or whatever -- you'll see this in anime, and if you notice, chinese in anime are typically depicted with the slanted eyes, because to the Japanese, Chinese have slanted eyes, while theirs are "normal." Most people think of themselves as normal, and only include the stereotypical features when drawing characters that are unlike themselves.

The article explains it much better than I can though, I just thought I'd give a TL:DR.


This is a great article that explains it well, I think. I was not as clear or eloquent.
9551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 6/2/15 , edited 6/2/15
Alright Ill post my explanation. Alot of anime's design techniques were lifted from Disney cartoons which is why they end up looking white. Dont know if I personally can extrapolate any deeper political meaning from this but its something. Would I like more diverse characters in anime. Yes Id like everything to be more diverse but we the western audience cant change anything about anime despite there are things in it we dislike.
Posted 6/2/15 , edited 6/2/15
"Anime characters don't have slanted eyes & have blonde hair sometimes yet say they're Japanese I think they're trying to be white."
Just bc anime characters don't look like ur perception of an Asian don't mean they are white/try to look white. Anime is basically Japanese cartoons, they can draw their characters however they want & still make them Japanese you know.
Anime characters aren't white or look white.
White ppl don't look like anime characters either.
Edit:
Also notice how the foreign/actually white characters tend to have blonde hair & blue eyes. That's when they try to make an anime character white.
Posted 6/2/15

megahobbit wrote:

Alright Ill post my explanation. Alot of anime's design techniques were lifted from Disney cartoons which is why they end up looking white. Dont know if I personally can extrapolate any deeper political meaning from this but its something. Would I like more diverse characters in anime. Yes Id like everything to be more diverse but we the western audience cant change anything about anime despite there are things in it we dislike.

Actually all they got from the cartoons is the big eyes.
Specifically from Donald Duck.
Anime doesn't need to be more "diverse". Diversity should be demanded in Western countries.
Also their are a few anime's where characters that aren't Japanese also that at least play a major role in it. But y'all ignore it.
9551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 6/2/15

anzn wrote:


megahobbit wrote:

Alright Ill post my explanation. Alot of anime's design techniques were lifted from Disney cartoons which is why they end up looking white. Dont know if I personally can extrapolate any deeper political meaning from this but its something. Would I like more diverse characters in anime. Yes Id like everything to be more diverse but we the western audience cant change anything about anime despite there are things in it we dislike.

Actually all they got from the cartoons is the big eyes.
Specifically from Donald Duck.
Anime doesn't need to be more "diverse". Diversity should be demanded in Western countries.
Also their are a few anime's where characters that aren't Japanese also that at least play a major role in it. But y'all ignore it.


I disagree alot of the skin tones are very similar and more importantly the rounded figures. If you look at Early 1900s Japanese art and Disney cartoons its clear that Disney was a much bigger influence on the design than the traditional art.

xxJing 
37175 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Duckburg
Offline
Posted 6/2/15

anzn wrote:

"Anime characters don't have slanted eyes & have blonde hair sometimes yet say they're Japanese I think they're trying to be white."
Just bc anime characters don't look like ur perception of an Asian don't mean they are white/try to look white. Anime is basically Japanese cartoons, they can draw their characters however they want & still make them Japanese you know.
Anime characters aren't white or look white.
White ppl don't look like anime characters either.
Edit:
Also notice how the foreign/actually white characters tend to have blonde hair & blue eyes. That's when they try to make an anime character white.


If you look at it closely, Shonen shows usually make characters appear somewhat realistically.

You can easily be convinced that most of the characters from Dia no Ace, Major, or Eyeshield 21 are meant to represent Japanese people. Even when a character doesn't have black hair, the way the hair is portrayed in relation to the skin complexion and eye color heavily implies that the character is dying their hair.

On the other hand in harem animes and shoujos. You generally have characters with a wide array of eye and hair colors that are passed off as natural. In a lot of harem animes the main character actually typically has a more typical set of Japanese features, while the heroines will appear to have a more Caucasian color palette (And often European style names). In shoujos, often the main heroine (or main male character in the case of BL) has a Japanese color palette, while the architecture, clothing, and color palettes of other characters resemble that of a romanticized European high society.







My theory is that Japanese are typically proud of their heritage as is shown through Shonen things aimed at a general audience and typically toward youth.

However at the same time I think Japanese guys want to bang white chicks and Japanese girls want to live a western celebrity style life.
Posted 6/2/15 , edited 6/2/15

megahobbit wrote:


anzn wrote:


megahobbit wrote:

Alright Ill post my explanation. Alot of anime's design techniques were lifted from Disney cartoons which is why they end up looking white. Dont know if I personally can extrapolate any deeper political meaning from this but its something. Would I like more diverse characters in anime. Yes Id like everything to be more diverse but we the western audience cant change anything about anime despite there are things in it we dislike.

Actually all they got from the cartoons is the big eyes.
Specifically from Donald Duck.
Anime doesn't need to be more "diverse". Diversity should be demanded in Western countries.
Also their are a few anime's where characters that aren't Japanese also that at least play a major role in it. But y'all ignore it.


I disagree alot of the skin tones are very similar and more importantly the rounded figures. If you look at Early 1900s Japanese art and Disney cartoons its clear that Disney was a much bigger influence on the design than the traditional art.


Yeah I know. But Japanese/Asians can also have darker/tan skin tones. Also yeah in some aspects. Like the cartooney aesthetic that Western animation always had, but put most of those with more human/human-like characters. Astro boy is a good example of that seeing it was the anime that Japanese animators took inspiration from, then evolved to their own thing.


xxJing wrote:

If you look at it closely, Shonen shows usually make characters appear somewhat realistically.

You can easily be convinced that most of the characters from Dia no Ace, Major, or Eyeshield 21 are meant to represent Japanese people. Even when a character doesn't have black hair, the way the hair is portrayed in relation to the skin complexion and eye color heavily implies that the character is dying their hair.

On the other hand in harem animes and shoujos. You generally have characters with a wide array of eye and hair colors that are passed off as natural. In a lot of harem animes the main character actually typically has a more typical set of Japanese features, while the heroines will appear to have a more Caucasian color palette (And often European style names). In shoujos, often the main heroine (or main male character in the case of BL) has a Japanese color palette, while the architecture, clothing, and color palettes of other characters resemble that of a romanticized European high society.







My theory is that Japanese are typically proud of their heritage as is shown through Shonen things aimed at a general audience and typically toward youth.

However at the same time I think Japanese guys want to bang white chicks and Japanese girls want to live a western celebrity style life.

They aren't copying & romanticizing European features. Pale/lighter things has always been see as beautiful before they even saw whites. Also in almost every sorta haram anime they make the main character blandish for the viewer to relate to them. They do the same with otome animes & video games. Then make everyone else unrealisticly pretty and interesting to make em feel better I guess. Its an easier way for the viewer to sorta put themselves more into the anime they're watching or game they're playing.
Edited a fun fact:
If they like the Western style & is inspired off it it, its not bc of white ppl btw. Black American Culture is what made it cool, then whites copy/steal it, then it eventuallys gets overseas. (Example, Black Americans made lots of music genres that are very popular like Rock & Pop. K-Pop artists also often use Beyonce as a reference for their songs & music videos. ALSO there is even a type of fashion called B-Style that's inspired by mostly black american hip hop artists.)
Also Asians don't like white ppl. Trust me. Possibly in the West bc they grew up around white ppl mostly, but in most cases nah. They after y'alls money/"success". And seemingly kissing up to them will get them it.
9127 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 6/2/15

Yamstarch wrote:

I just want to meet RL girls with pink, purple, blue and green hair haha.


If that's what you want, in Japan, that'll be all the old ladies! They're the only people with that colored hair.

(I'm being serious)
xxJing 
37175 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Duckburg
Offline
Posted 6/2/15

anzn wrote:


megahobbit wrote:


anzn wrote:


megahobbit wrote:

Alright Ill post my explanation. Alot of anime's design techniques were lifted from Disney cartoons which is why they end up looking white. Dont know if I personally can extrapolate any deeper political meaning from this but its something. Would I like more diverse characters in anime. Yes Id like everything to be more diverse but we the western audience cant change anything about anime despite there are things in it we dislike.

Actually all they got from the cartoons is the big eyes.
Specifically from Donald Duck.
Anime doesn't need to be more "diverse". Diversity should be demanded in Western countries.
Also their are a few anime's where characters that aren't Japanese also that at least play a major role in it. But y'all ignore it.


I disagree alot of the skin tones are very similar and more importantly the rounded figures. If you look at Early 1900s Japanese art and Disney cartoons its clear that Disney was a much bigger influence on the design than the traditional art.


Yeah I know. But Japanese/Asians can also have darker/tan skin tones. Also yeah in some aspects. Like the cartooney aesthetic that Western animation always had, but put most of those with more human/human-like characters. Astro boy is a good example of that seeing it was the anime that Japanese animators took inspiration from, then evolved to their own thing.


xxJing wrote:

If you look at it closely, Shonen shows usually make characters appear somewhat realistically.

You can easily be convinced that most of the characters from Dia no Ace, Major, or Eyeshield 21 are meant to represent Japanese people. Even when a character doesn't have black hair, the way the hair is portrayed in relation to the skin complexion and eye color heavily implies that the character is dying their hair.

On the other hand in harem animes and shoujos. You generally have characters with a wide array of eye and hair colors that are passed off as natural. In a lot of harem animes the main character actually typically has a more typical set of Japanese features, while the heroines will appear to have a more Caucasian color palette (And often European style names). In shoujos, often the main heroine (or main male character in the case of BL) has a Japanese color palette, while the architecture, clothing, and color palettes of other characters resemble that of a romanticized European high society.

My theory is that Japanese are typically proud of their heritage as is shown through Shonen things aimed at a general audience and typically toward youth.

However at the same time I think Japanese guys want to bang white chicks and Japanese girls want to live a western celebrity style life.

They aren't copying & romanticizing European features. Pale/lighter things has always been see as beautiful before they even saw whites. Also in almost every sorta haram anime they make the main character blandish for the viewer to relate to them. They do the same with otome animes & video games. Then make everyone else unrealisticly pretty and interesting to make em feel better I guess. Its an easier way for the viewer to sorta put themselves more into the anime they're watching or game they're playing.
Edited a fun fact:
If they like the Western style & is inspired off it it, its not bc of white ppl btw. Black American Culture is what made it cool, then whites copy/steal it, then it eventuallys gets overseas. (Example, Black Americans made lots of music genres that are very popular like Rock & Pop. K-Pop artists also often use Beyonce as a reference for their songs & music videos. ALSO there is even a type of fashion called B-Style that's inspired by mostly black american hip hop artists.)
Also Asians don't like white ppl. Trust me. Possibly in the West bc they grew up around white ppl mostly, but in most cases nah. They after y'alls money/"success". And seemingly kissing up to them will get them it.


It's not about liking white people or wanting to be white.

As I said and maybe you skip over it. They are generally proud of their culture, the most main stream things, Detective Conan, Sports Animes, etc tend to portray Japanese people in a very Japanese way.

However there are a crap load of harem animes out there, where the main character has a darker complexion, jet black hair, and dark eyes as a typical Japanese person would, however, the main heroine or the majority of main heroines are basically white. They don't even have Japanese names. This leads me to believe they tend to have fantasies of banging white chicks.

With shoujos, they often use European / Gothic architecture, fair hair, and green / blue eyes for their designs. These aesthetic choices are most likely based off of European fairy-tale architecture. It leads me to believe they fantasize about a modern version of the stereotypical European aristocratic high-life with balls, dresses, princes, and princesses.

Posted 6/2/15 , edited 6/3/15

xxJing wrote:

It's not about liking white people or wanting to be white.

As I said and maybe you skip over it. They are generally proud of their culture, the most main stream things, Detective Conan, Sports Animes, etc tend to portray Japanese people in a very Japanese way.

However there are a crap load of harem animes out there, where the main character has a darker complexion, jet black hair, and dark eyes as a typical Japanese person would, however, the main heroine or the majority of main heroines are basically white. They don't even have Japanese names. This leads me to believe they tend to have fantasies of banging white chicks.

With shoujos, they often use European / Gothic architecture, fair hair, and green / blue eyes for their designs. These aesthetic choices are most likely based off of European fairy-tale architecture. It leads me to believe they fantasize about a modern version of the stereotypical European aristocratic high-life with balls, dresses, princes, and princesses.


Edit:
Yeah I know. Which is why, in Anime's & video games the characters are Japanese or at least have Japanese names & use honorifics even in fictional worlds.
And the harem animes bc like I said, its so the viewer can easily relate to the main character & easily learn/get into what's going on in the anime/game. The characters aren't white or even look white. They look like anime. Its actually kinda racist if you assume Asians & basically every culture wants to be like white folk bc they happen to have 1 or two features a white person typically has. (PoC are more diverse than Europeans too??) Like black folk straightening their hair or anyone that isnt white dying their hair blonde, maybe even having blue eye contacts. Because they wanna be white.
Whites dye their hair black. Does that mean they wanna be/look Asian? No.
Japan seems to have a weird obsession with Hitler, which seems why they also often make their white anime characters w/ blue eyes & blonde hair. Even the mixed ones.
So no they really don't. Get the idea out of your head that anime characters are white. If they are white I assure you, anime's will tell you & make it obvious with the blonde hair & blue eyes, with a common European name

9551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 6/2/15

anzn wrote:


megahobbit wrote:


anzn wrote:


megahobbit wrote:

Alright Ill post my explanation. Alot of anime's design techniques were lifted from Disney cartoons which is why they end up looking white. Dont know if I personally can extrapolate any deeper political meaning from this but its something. Would I like more diverse characters in anime. Yes Id like everything to be more diverse but we the western audience cant change anything about anime despite there are things in it we dislike.

Actually all they got from the cartoons is the big eyes.
Specifically from Donald Duck.
Anime doesn't need to be more "diverse". Diversity should be demanded in Western countries.
Also their are a few anime's where characters that aren't Japanese also that at least play a major role in it. But y'all ignore it.


I disagree alot of the skin tones are very similar and more importantly the rounded figures. If you look at Early 1900s Japanese art and Disney cartoons its clear that Disney was a much bigger influence on the design than the traditional art.


Yeah I know. But Japanese/Asians can also have darker/tan skin tones. Also yeah in some aspects. Like the cartooney aesthetic that Western animation always had, but put most of those with more human/human-like characters. Astro boy is a good example of that seeing it was the anime that Japanese animators took inspiration from, then evolved to their own thing.


Yeah thats the point im trying to make you rarely see anime characters with darker skin tones. I would say astro boys look is more indebted to Fleisher studios but my point still stands.
32280 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / St.Louis - USA
Offline
Posted 8/20/15
2989 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 8/20/15
i've seen plenty of different skin colored anime characters in different anime. plus, there are some characters that look super japanese. it just depends on what the creator likes
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.