Post Reply Recs For A Tricky Taste?
2299 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / F / US
Offline
Posted 5/21/15
Sooooo my dilemma isn't that there's not enough anime to choose from, it's finding the right fit for my taste. I really loved Attack on Titan, Gunslinger Girl and Peeping Life World just got me hooked today. I like slice of life and high school stories but more the personality and emotional side versus the cutsey stuff. So I think I'm a hard fit.

So I'm just trying to find suggestions because both CR and Anime Planet are pretty much going "MOE! YAOI!" in their recommendations and ......yeah,no.

Help?

I really prefer: Psychological, realistic, actually creepy/scary horror. Josei and action. Deeper storytelling and characters with personality.

I don't like: moe, yaoi,yuri,too much fanservice or sex,cutsey giggly stuff, eyecandy and airheads.
Posted 5/21/15
Mononoke and mushishi are some anime I think you might enjoy
2299 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / F / US
Offline
Posted 5/21/15

potentsativa wrote:

Mononoke and mushishi are some anime I think you might enjoy


I've forgotten about both! I've heard especially good things about Mushishi.
Posted 5/21/15

retronatrix wrote:


potentsativa wrote:

Mononoke and mushishi are some anime I think you might enjoy


I've forgotten about both! I've heard especially good things about Mushishi.


I watched 7 episodes of the Mushishi they have on CR and it was a breath of fresh air, however Mononoke which I just recently finished was beyond that, everything about it was... well words can only go so far as to describe that anime it's defiantly unique just wished there were more episodes.
2299 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / F / US
Offline
Posted 5/21/15

potentsativa wrote:


retronatrix wrote:


potentsativa wrote:

Mononoke and mushishi are some anime I think you might enjoy


I've forgotten about both! I've heard especially good things about Mushishi.


I watched 7 episodes of the Mushishi they have on CR and it was a breath of fresh air, however Mononoke which I just recently finished was beyond that, everything about it was... well words can only go so far as to describe that anime it's defiantly unique just wished there were more episodes.


Once I'm done with Peeping Life I'll head over to Mononoke. I'm just tired of recs popping up for moe and such because I watch one or two school animes
4728 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / NJ
Offline
Posted 5/21/15
Hm perhaps try these:

Kingdom

Spice and Wolf

Hanasakeru Seishounen(is on CR)

Pandora Hearts(is on CR)

other then those, you can give

Victorian Romance Emma(this one may be too mild for your taste, but It's as realistic as possible, the only thing keeping it from being 100% realistic, is It's not dubbed)

Moribito Guardian of the Spirit

and

The Twelve Kingdoms

as well.

I'm sure you'll like atleast a bunch of these.

I have more anime if you want, but I think these fit what "I think" you're asking for the best.
Posted 5/21/15
Watch Gantz..though it's got much nuteh and tets
mnmike 
20137 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/21/15 , edited 5/21/15
Definitely watch Steins; Gate and Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood if you haven't yet. They both seem right up your alley.

Also, I strongly second the Spice and Wolf recommendation, for a smart and different slice of life story.

Otherwise, here are some ideas: (all are light on fan service)


Slice of Life
---------------
Usagi Drop
Barakamon
Hanasaku Iroha (a bit of high school romance here, but it's mostly a slice-of-life about working at an inn)
I also hear very good things about Silver Spoon and Aria the Animation, but haven't gotten around to watching either yet.


Dramatic romances
----------------------------------------
Anything by Visual Arts/Key (Clannad, Little Busters, Kanon (2006), Angel Beats, Air), if they aren't too moe for you.
Golden Time
Toradora
Anohana
Nagi no Asukara
Otome Youkai Zakuro
Natsuyuki Rendezvous (wasn't my cup of tea, but if you like josei you'll probably like it)
Kimi ni Todoke (more comedy than drama, but well done and solidly shoujo)
One Week Friends


Sci-Fi/Adventure shows w/ good characters and storytelling:
---------------------------------------------------------
Trigun
Eureka Seven
Gargantia of the Verderous Planet
Valkyria Chronicles
Persona 4: The Animation (NOT the Golden Animation)
xxxHolic
11367 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / PH3NF1X
Offline
Posted 5/21/15
Claymore, Berserk, elfen lied, gantz
27354 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / Pennsylvania
Offline
Posted 5/21/15 , edited 5/21/15
Kemono no Sōja Erin
101435 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / You, Knighted States
Offline
Posted 5/21/15

retronatrix wrote:

Sooooo my dilemma isn't that there's not enough anime to choose from, it's finding the right fit for my taste. I really loved Attack on Titan, Gunslinger Girl and Peeping Life World just got me hooked today. I like slice of life and high school stories but more the personality and emotional side versus the cutsey stuff. So I think I'm a hard fit.

So I'm just trying to find suggestions because both CR and Anime Planet are pretty much going "MOE! YAOI!" in their recommendations and ......yeah,no.

Help?

I really prefer: Psychological, realistic, actually creepy/scary horror. Josei and action. Deeper storytelling and characters with personality.

I don't like: moe, yaoi,yuri,too much fanservice or sex,cutsey giggly stuff, eyecandy and airheads.


Space Brothers: a slice of life story of two adult brothers becoming astronauts.

Mushishi: Episodic storytelling about a wandering shaman of sorts. Beyond excellent all the way around.

Death Parade: A bar where people go after they die to be judged. Deeply emotional and excellently produced.

Silver Spoon: Slice of Life about a city slicker who has to go to an agricultural high school and come to grips with the dirty side of life.

Seirei no Moribito: Adventure series featuring a badass spear-wielding lady bodyguard who finds herself saving a mystically-entangled boy prince. Best female role models I've ever seen.
4728 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / NJ
Offline
Posted 5/21/15

DarkSasword wrote:

Kemono no Sōja Erin


That's definitely a must watch, easily best drama anime ever made. The only reason I didn't mention it, is the OP didn't want cuteness really, and lets be real, Erin is the cutest/most adorable char in the entire history of anime. However with that said, It's still a very serious sol/drama anime(Erin is also one of my favorite characters period).

PS. On that note, we may as well mention Aishiteruze Baby as well then, It's kind of cute in the same way that Kemono no souja is(dead serious Yuzuyu even has Fuko hair= enough said), but while not as crazy hardcore as Kemono no souja is(then again, nothing is), It's another very serious sol/drama series, plus for a modern Japan setting anime, as hard as it is to believe, is a completely unique concept(and It's done exceeding well too).
You must be logged in to post.