First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Lack of STD Immunity
5064 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 5/22/15

Biggle wrote:

The biggest question I had for my Professor was
"If STDs were so common why aren't we immune to it yet?"

What he replied was "The same way we aren't all immune to the Cold Flu, STDs aren't specifically destroying the entire human race- they are just lingering around, until they threaten Humanity- we will not be built to survive from something like that."




Why do you suppose we aren't immune to something like this yet?


Um.. virus's mutate, and your body has to find a new anti-body
1495 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / CS Colorado
Offline
Posted 5/24/15

pirththee wrote:

Simply stated STD's aren't static.


this is probably the best way to put it

also many terminal diseases target certain parts of your body that would build immunity in the first place soooo....
Posted 5/24/15 , edited 5/24/15
Misread title as Lack of STD Community.
2299 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / F / US
Offline
Posted 5/24/15 , edited 5/24/15

megahobbit wrote:

Well you see we have this great thing in the modern era called condoms. There not perfect but they help.


Psssssssst........don't freak out but there are some strains of STDs that have extremely high levels of key acetones that actually make micropunctures in latex and animal skin type condoms. So sometimes condoms don't work either. Luckily there generally quite rare variants so at least there's that.
2299 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / F / US
Offline
Posted 5/24/15 , edited 5/24/15
Simply put:viruses aren't the only thing that mutate or generally change their nature.

We're not immune because it's like an invading army finding a different plan of attack each time. The more efective devastating form usually does quickly because that's the firm that our immune system will have less defense against leading to a boom, epidemic, whichever term you want.

Don't worry about STDs too much tho, worry about small pox and polio in the next 50 to 100 years.
29840 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 5/24/15

megahobbit wrote:


DJTACO wrote:


megahobbit wrote:

Well you see we have this great thing in the modern era called condoms. There not perfect but they help.


don't think everyone is satisfied with them, because they say it doesn't feel the same.
Wonder if they still say that during the baby shower


Kek


lel
75432 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / F / Center of the Uni...
Online
Posted 5/24/15

retronatrix wrote:

Simply put:viruses aren't the only thing that mutate or generally change their nature.

We're not immune because it's like an invading army finding a different plan of attack each time. The more efective devastating form usually does quickly because that's the firm that our immune system will have less defense against leading to a boom, epidemic, whichever term you want.

Don't worry about STDs too much tho, worry about small pox and polio in the next 50 to 100 years.


Thank you Very Much to all Anti-Vaxxers.


Posted 5/24/15
Diseases such as AIDS , which go after the t-cells of the immune system, and ebola which can kill on first contact and linger on as you say in a minority of the human population not vaccinated (and not forgetting mutant strains of viruses that need their own vaccine.)
2299 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / F / US
Offline
Posted 5/24/15 , edited 5/24/15

papagolfwhiskey wrote:


retronatrix wrote:

Simply put:viruses aren't the only thing that mutate or generally change their nature.

We're not immune because it's like an invading army finding a different plan of attack each time. The more efective devastating form usually does quickly because that's the firm that our immune system will have less defense against leading to a boom, epidemic, whichever term you want.

Don't worry about STDs too much tho, worry about small pox and polio in the next 50 to 100 years.


Thank you Very Much to all Anti-Vaxxers.




Not really. Some "smaller" diseases yes to a point. But these mutations and smaller changes happen either way. Plain fact is there are things that no vaccine will ever stop, just decrease impact or rate of infection.

Plus, there are all kinds of flavors of antivaxxers out there. I got one am anti sythetic vax when the live culture vax it's an option. It in the case of exceptionally transmittaable disease such as the MMR. Others are no vax in any situation which is just dangerous to all involved.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.