First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply Show don't tell!
4131 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / The Flying Pussyf...
Offline
Posted 5/26/15
I am confused by this forum
42339 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 5/26/15

Arielgirl375 wrote:

I am confused by this forum


Sorry about that.
42339 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 5/26/15 , edited 5/26/15

piratequeen369 wrote:

I'm quite good at all those things, it's not hard. First person is easier for me.


Got any advice?
One Punch Mod
85837 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 5/26/15 , edited 5/26/15

qualeshia3 wrote:

Let me know if a thread like this one exist or not.
Thanks a bunches!

Explain your opinion in great detail.

I'm in need of help with writing. Does anybody have any idea on how to properly show don't tell when it comes to writing? Any advice?

Bonus Questions:

1) Do you uses the words "and", "but", and "yet" a lot in writing?

2) Do you find it easier to write in first or third person?

3) Are you good or bad at show don't tell in your writing?



If you do not know what show don't tell means, Google is your best answer.

Enjoy!!!


I've moved this over to Creative Corner, since it's primarily a request for advice related to creative writing, and discussion that will be of special interest there.

I haven't read all the posts here so I don't know if someone else has mentioned it, but one way this comes into play is if you are trying to give a sense of someone's character. So, you wouldn't say outright that someone had had a difficult childhood, or had a penchant for justice. You'd create scenes in which you had them doing things to show us that.
2904 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26
Offline
Posted 5/26/15
An example would be to describe how a character responds to a situation vs. listing their personality traits.
42339 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 5/26/15

lorreen wrote:


qualeshia3 wrote:

Let me know if a thread like this one exist or not.
Thanks a bunches!

Explain your opinion in great detail.

I'm in need of help with writing. Does anybody have any idea on how to properly show don't tell when it comes to writing? Any advice?

Bonus Questions:

1) Do you uses the words "and", "but", and "yet" a lot in writing?

2) Do you find it easier to write in first or third person?

3) Are you good or bad at show don't tell in your writing?



If you do not know what show don't tell means, Google is your best answer.

Enjoy!!!


I've moved this over to Creative Corner, since it's primarily a request for advice related to creative writing, and discussion that will be of special interest there.

I haven't read all the posts here so I don't know if someone else has mentioned it, but one way this comes into play is if you are trying to give a sense of someone's character. So, you wouldn't say outright that someone had had a difficult childhood, or had a penchant for justice. You'd create scenes in which you had them doing things to show us that.


Thank you.
42339 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 5/26/15

adrianc0 wrote:

An example would be to describe how a character responds to a situation vs. listing their personality traits.



Really? Don't explain the character's personality?
2904 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26
Offline
Posted 5/26/15

qualeshia3 wrote:


adrianc0 wrote:

An example would be to describe how a character responds to a situation vs. listing their personality traits.



Really? Don't explain the character's personality?


I think Loreen explained it better.
Here's an example of someone doing an oral presentation.

Show:

She rubbed her hands drenched in sweat against her pants while mentally chastising herself. She had prepared for a week before today yet she could still feel the familiar sinking feeling in the pit of her stomach and her hands were shaking uncontrollably. As she heard her name being called, she staggered towards the podium and mustered all her courage to face the crowd.

Tell:
The socially awkward girl nervously walked towards the podium for her oral presentation.
42339 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 5/26/15


Create a scene rather than tell a scene?
2904 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26
Offline
Posted 5/26/15

qualeshia3 wrote:



Create a scene rather than tell a scene?


Yeah, pretty much. It's just an example.

I tend to overuse adjectives and adverbs when I write. One tip that my teacher told me was that if you use strong verbs and nouns, you wouldn't need to rely so much on adjectives/adverbs.
42339 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 5/26/15



Is it bad to overuse It that much?
2904 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26
Offline
Posted 5/26/15

qualeshia3 wrote:




Is it bad to overuse It that much?


Yeah, if you use it too much, it saturates the sentence and makes it lose its meaning in a way. You don't have to take my word for it. It's just something I picked up in my creative writing class in college.

42339 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 5/26/15


Showing is so hard to do. I can't seem to get the hang of it.
2904 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26
Offline
Posted 5/26/15

qualeshia3 wrote:



Showing is so hard to do. I can't seem to get the hang of it.


It's okay Maybe you just need to practice more. You can start with describing situations or feelings that are familiar to you. For me, that paragraph only took a few minutes to write since it's how I naturally feel when I do oral presentations.
42339 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 5/26/15


I wish I can describe the way I see it in my mind because it is so vivid. I just can't find the right words.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.