First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  Next  Last
Post Reply The fat acceptance movement is the only movement that can be defeated by actual movement.
3088 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / California
Offline
Posted 5/26/15
Being fat is OK. However, don't expect your "desirability" to increase just because people accept you for being fat. It's not that easy.
48423 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / AZ
Offline
Posted 5/26/15
If you're 18 and over I don't care how fat you want to be. It's your life and you can decide for yourself if you want to be fat or not.
I do have a problem with kids being overweight because as a parent you have to be responsible for your child's health. It's not okay for little Johnny to be eating pizza and hamburgers everyday. Don't buy him all the junk food he wants and get him to do some exercise.
11505 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 5/26/15

Ejanss wrote:


lambofgenesis...um... lol how can you say this....

So a frozen dinner is $3. If you hate that 3x a day, that's $9, then that's $63 per week...


(Freudian slip, but works.) :)



A 5 lb bag of potatoes is $3.52, 2 lbs of spinach is $5.02, 2 lbs of tomatoes is $5, 2 bunches of carrots $4, 1 lb lettuce is $2.29, 1lb of cabbage is $1.02, 2 bunches of broccoli Is $7, 19.2 oz of whey protein is $13.99.... so that comes out to $42.... Far healthier, far cheaper. Of course, for any non-vegetarian, that's going to be hell on earth, but it sure is far healthier.

Junk food is a comfort luxury - not a necessity for poor people -_-.


I was on Food Stamps for a while, and buying anything frozen was like buying caviar, only not as good:
Oo, one whole entree for $2.99! I could buy a bunch of carrots and a bunch of celery for that, and have the makings for a week of soup or stir-fry.

OTOH, I had a crockpot, an electric wok, a rice steamer and a bread machine, and knew that Real Food is Cheaper.
With real carrots, onions, dry beans, water, etc., and most importantly, the knowhow, you can make a half-gallon of real "homestyle" soup for the price of two cans of Progresso Offensively-Advertised Overpriced Homestyle Sodium Soup, now in the giant 2-Serving can. (Not condensed, of course--Adding water to chicken noodle, whaddya, in kindergarten? )

Compare the prices of pasta, flour, bagged frozen vegetables, rice, etc., with packages or frozen entrees that use them, and you start to realize that Big-Food is a conspiracy to enslave the recipe-illiterate.
All those years you girls bragged you were too "liberated" to learn to cook, and were going to find some guy to bake you those strawberry-cheesecake cupcakes twice a week? The lack of curiosity or ability has a price, and in Big-Food's case, it's a heavy one.


Sorry but I agree with Ejanss. McDonald's is at least $3 a meal. I think if you want your family to move out of poverty, you need to teach them math... and stop wasting money on junk food
10228 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / United Kingdom
Offline
Posted 5/26/15
What a stupid thing to put. Although, considering this is someone who said they supported the british version of the nazi's, UKIP, i'm not surprised.
35017 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 5/26/15 , edited 5/26/15
Obesity is a legitimate concern with substantial public health and economic consequences if it is ignored, but there's also to consider that having a sufficiently poor self-image is destructive to motivation. Even if we ignore the fact that obesity is a multifaceted issue impacted by factors ranging from food pricing, to production/preservation of food, to subsidies/tariffs on particular food items, to peoples' work schedules, to peoples' relative sensitivity to biochemical cues such as leptin or insulin, even if we try to oversimplify the issue and focus exclusively on peoples' motivation and say "AHA! THIS is where we need to focus!", lashing out at obese people for trying to improve their self-image isn't likely to be helpful.

A depressed, self-loathing person won't care about becoming healthy even if you show them the data indicating that losing even a small amount of weight, even engaging in a slightly greater amount of exercise, can produce significant dividends in terms of cardiovascular health. This will defeat every other effort, from fixing problems with subsidies, to adjusting food production standards, to investing in healthcare initiatives.


eclair-lumiere wrote:

What a stupid thing to put. Although, considering this is someone who said they supported the british version of the nazi's, UKIP, i'm not surprised.


If anyone's the British version of the Nazis, wouldn't that be the BNP?
Bavalt 
22029 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 5/26/15
As a fat person myself, I haven't seen very much of this supposed stigma on fat people. I mean, sure, I'm not considered attractive by most, but for people for whom that's a priority, that's a good incentive to get into shape. I do understand that metabolism can be a tough thing to overcome, and for those who are strongly predisposed towards fat, it means a lot of hard work to get where you want to be - but my point remains: fat people don't have it so bad. As soon as you get out of junior high and people start to act more maturely, it doesn't seem like anyone really cares too much. If you're fat, and you're hanging out with people who seriously harass you for it, go hang out with better people. There are way more reasonable ones than there are assholes.

I guess I can kind of sympathize with the movement, but it comes across as whining a lot of the time. If you're gonna be fat, own it. I fall into the "inexcusably fat" category. While I am naturally heavy-set and have a fairly slow metabolism, I have no doubt that if I ate less and did more cardio, I'd be able to get rid of my gut. But I don't, because I like to eat. My options might not be ideal, but I still have a choice, and I choose to eat what I want and stay fat. And everyone who doesn't suffer from really unlucky genetics, and is fat, makes that same choice, whether it's conscious or not. We don't really have the right to complain about being seen as unattractive if the fact is that we can definitely do something about it. You can have tasty food, or you can have more popularity with the opposite sex. Recognize the fact that if you're fat, you've probably chosen the former, so don't complain about not getting the latter. You're just living according to your priorities. It's ridiculous for someone who doesn't study to demand better grades from their teacher: this is essentially the same thing.
Posted 5/26/15 , edited 5/26/15

lambofgenesis wrote:


Ejanss wrote:


lambofgenesis...um... lol how can you say this....

So a frozen dinner is $3. If you hate that 3x a day, that's $9, then that's $63 per week...


(Freudian slip, but works.) :)



A 5 lb bag of potatoes is $3.52, 2 lbs of spinach is $5.02, 2 lbs of tomatoes is $5, 2 bunches of carrots $4, 1 lb lettuce is $2.29, 1lb of cabbage is $1.02, 2 bunches of broccoli Is $7, 19.2 oz of whey protein is $13.99.... so that comes out to $42.... Far healthier, far cheaper. Of course, for any non-vegetarian, that's going to be hell on earth, but it sure is far healthier.

Junk food is a comfort luxury - not a necessity for poor people -_-.


I was on Food Stamps for a while, and buying anything frozen was like buying caviar, only not as good:
Oo, one whole entree for $2.99! I could buy a bunch of carrots and a bunch of celery for that, and have the makings for a week of soup or stir-fry.

OTOH, I had a crockpot, an electric wok, a rice steamer and a bread machine, and knew that Real Food is Cheaper.
With real carrots, onions, dry beans, water, etc., and most importantly, the knowhow, you can make a half-gallon of real "homestyle" soup for the price of two cans of Progresso Offensively-Advertised Overpriced Homestyle Sodium Soup, now in the giant 2-Serving can. (Not condensed, of course--Adding water to chicken noodle, whaddya, in kindergarten? )

Compare the prices of pasta, flour, bagged frozen vegetables, rice, etc., with packages or frozen entrees that use them, and you start to realize that Big-Food is a conspiracy to enslave the recipe-illiterate.
All those years you girls bragged you were too "liberated" to learn to cook, and were going to find some guy to bake you those strawberry-cheesecake cupcakes twice a week? The lack of curiosity or ability has a price, and in Big-Food's case, it's a heavy one.


Sorry but I agree with Ejanss. McDonald's is at least $3 a meal. I think if you want your family to move out of poverty, you need to teach them math... and stop wasting money on junk food


You obviously have no idea how expensive it is to eat healthy.
its probably manageable if you are buying & making meals for yourselves, but not if you have a family.
4042 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/26/15
Overeating and being happy about it is kinda like being happy you broke your arm skydiving, because you think your arm actually looks better when it's crooked and now you're gonna try skydiving without a parachute because you're just so happy about it you don't even care. In fact, you're going to model with that broken arm because forget those non-broken-armed jerks, you don't need to be like them!

Fat-people-love-movement or not, I'm still concerned for the health of people who avoid exercise like the plague and eat crap food like it's a day job. It's a health concern no matter how much you want to think otherwise. Not to mention, when you throw caution out the window and decide health is for hippies, you're endangering anyone who is dependent on you, like any kids you may have. It's important to try and stay fit, and your body will thank you for it more than Tumblr could ever boost your ego for being fat.

Not to mention, a lot of these people discriminate against skinny people because it's easy and cool. I'm skinny and eat a lot, but it's because I eat healthy foods and exercise, but people say that I'm dying or look emaciated and I look at the three burgers on their plate and I'm like "Calm yoself".
17181 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 5/26/15
Everything in this thread has the same message: you should've been skinny

darkfire9o9 wrote:

Hmm was there a problem with fat people to begin with?
There isn't a problem with fat people other than other people having a problem with them
1052 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Between Goku's st...
Offline
Posted 5/26/15
Fat acceptance "movement".

I'd say it's a waddle.
35017 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 5/26/15

FlyinDumpling wrote:

Everything in this thread has the same message: you should've been skinny


It hardly seems controversial to suggest that a lower rate of obesity would reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease and diabetes in the general public, or that this would translate into improved productivity figures and a reduced burden on the NHS. It also hardly seems out of line to suggest that cardiovascular disease and diabetes detract from a nation's overall quality of living, and so are things which ought to be combated however possible. Reducing obesity is one way to do that.

It's not that being obese is some sort of personal flaw that I'm getting at. It's that there are legitimate individual and societal interests in keeping obesity low. That shouldn't be taken to mean that people are deficient if they're obese. It should simply be taken to mean that obesity is a legitimate concern.
37230 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 5/26/15

papagolfwhiskey wrote:

It's so easy to be critical and judgmental.


This.


It really is saddening to see people judge others by their own standards and feelings, while failing to realize each person is their own, with their own feelings. Something that may be easy for you to do may not be for someone else.
31061 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Los Angeles, CA
Offline
Posted 5/26/15 , edited 5/26/15
People are so mean. I would never make fun of fat people or any person based on their appearance. The only concern I have are their health issues and also the additional medical expenses that the rest of us have to help subsidize. Kind of the same way I see smokers.
27240 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Online
Posted 5/26/15 , edited 5/26/15
It's just an excuse to not do anything about a situation and whine as though a general non-attraction toward fat people is an injustice. It's no surprise that most people don't want their partner to be fat. It's not a secret and it's just hanging in plain sight, so don't run into it.

Being fat, by and large, is voluntary. And it's not as though a person needs to work hard to NOT be fat. Most of the work toward being less fat is done in the kitchen. Normal people simply have to consistently eat less and drink more water to lose weight. The beauty of this is that you don't even have to skip meals. In fact, you SHOULDN'T skip meals. Just reduce the serving size by 20% or so and have those smaller meals for a month. You'll lose weight even if you only walk 20 minutes a day when doing your errands. It really is that simple. I simply don't understand how a person can allow himself/herself to become obese. Maybe a little chubby, but obese? That's generally an indication that they don't take care of their health, which is genuinely unattractive. Nobody says you have to be a gym rat, but don't eat 3000 calories a day if you're 5'5" and just sitting all day. You save money by eating less and by not being very fat. I freak out a little whenever I gain like 2 pounds and immediately try to shed the weight.

I don't have anything against fat people but I don't really like when people get themselves into a situation that sucks and elect to not do something about it, instead displacing the blame by putting it all on other people.
9551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 5/26/15
No problem with people being fat.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.