First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Post Reply Social Justice Warriors Strike Again! American Release of "Love Live!" Game Censors Girl Love
9551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 5/27/15

Jamming777 wrote:


From the Wiki -
The SPLC has been criticized for using hyperbole and overstating the prevalence of hate groups to raise large amounts of money. In a 2000 Harper's Magazine article, Ken Silverstein said that Dees has kept the SPLC focused on fighting anti-minority groups like the KKK, whose membership has declined to just 2,000, instead of on issues like homelessness, mostly because the former issue makes for more lucrative fundraising. The article claimed the SPLC "spends twice as much on fund-raising -- $5.76 million last year -- as it does on legal services for victims of civil rights abuses." Harper's pointed out that more than 95% of hate crimes are committed by lone wolves without any connection to militia groups the SPLC speaks of.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacy_of_relative_privation

Id be more sympathetic to that if it wasnt for the fact that SPLC is one of the few groups who actually try and invest time into researching and creating a database on hate groups something that very few other groups do.
9551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 5/27/15 , edited 5/27/15

retronatrix wrote:

SPLC is no longer about actual justice and civil rights, they're after payouts and a haven for small time public procts to make a niche. They'd all easily paid off by and support lobbyists before those they claim to represent. They lable EVERYTHING a hate group that they think the can shake down. About 10 years ago some of their staff put Children's Miracle Network on their hate list because they supposedly favored white children. Took CMN all of ten minutes to lawyer up,print out stat reports and threaten a huge defamation lawsuit and SPLC backed down.


[Citation needed]

Could find no actual info backing up that this happened.
29840 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 5/27/15
The fuck, I have Love Live! installed and if they had the dialogue the Japanese version had.. I would be playing more often.
2299 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / F / US
Offline
Posted 5/27/15 , edited 5/27/15

megahobbit wrote:


retronatrix wrote:

SPLC is no longer about actual justice and civil rights, they're after payouts and a haven for small time public procts to make a niche. They'd all easily paid off by and support lobbyists before those they claim to represent. They lable EVERYTHING a hate group that they think the can shake down. About 10 years ago some of their staff put Children's Miracle Network on their hate list because they supposedly favored white children. Took CMN all of ten minutes to lawyer up,print out stat reports and threaten a huge defamation lawsuit and SPLC backed down.


[Citation needed]

Could find no actual info backing up that this happened.


Trying to find that specific case but all I'm finding is the Sheriff Mack case.

It was back when Huff Post first started out and named themselves Huff but I can't find a searchable archive or Google. But here is the Mack case for an example. Still slander in the same vein but frustrating not to find the original.

http://www.alipac.us/f9/splc-southern-poverty-law-center-sued-slander-libel-defamation-246464/
18904 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 5/27/15

megahobbit wrote:


Jamming777 wrote:


From the Wiki -
The SPLC has been criticized for using hyperbole and overstating the prevalence of hate groups to raise large amounts of money. In a 2000 Harper's Magazine article, Ken Silverstein said that Dees has kept the SPLC focused on fighting anti-minority groups like the KKK, whose membership has declined to just 2,000, instead of on issues like homelessness, mostly because the former issue makes for more lucrative fundraising. The article claimed the SPLC "spends twice as much on fund-raising -- $5.76 million last year -- as it does on legal services for victims of civil rights abuses." Harper's pointed out that more than 95% of hate crimes are committed by lone wolves without any connection to militia groups the SPLC speaks of.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacy_of_relative_privation

Id be more sympathetic to that if it wasnt for the fact that SPLC is one of the few groups who actually try and invest time into researching and creating a database on hate groups something that very few other groups do.


I prefer START-TEVUS at http://www.start.umd.edu/research-projects/terrorism-and-extremist-violence-united-states-tevus-database
2299 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / F / US
Offline
Posted 5/27/15

Jamming777 wrote:


megahobbit wrote:


Jamming777 wrote:


From the Wiki -
The SPLC has been criticized for using hyperbole and overstating the prevalence of hate groups to raise large amounts of money. In a 2000 Harper's Magazine article, Ken Silverstein said that Dees has kept the SPLC focused on fighting anti-minority groups like the KKK, whose membership has declined to just 2,000, instead of on issues like homelessness, mostly because the former issue makes for more lucrative fundraising. The article claimed the SPLC "spends twice as much on fund-raising -- $5.76 million last year -- as it does on legal services for victims of civil rights abuses." Harper's pointed out that more than 95% of hate crimes are committed by lone wolves without any connection to militia groups the SPLC speaks of.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacy_of_relative_privation

Id be more sympathetic to that if it wasnt for the fact that SPLC is one of the few groups who actually try and invest time into researching and creating a database on hate groups something that very few other groups do.


I prefer START-TEVUS at http://www.start.umd.edu/research-projects/terrorism-and-extremist-violence-united-states-tevus-database


Ty for the link. I'll have to check it out when I'm on a pc. My tablet hates plug ins.
9551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 5/27/15

retronatrix wrote:
Trying to find that specific case but all I'm finding is the Sheriff Mack case.

It was back when Huff Post first started out and named themselves Huff but I can't find a searchable archive or Google. But here is the Mack case for an example. Still slander in the same vein but frustrating not to find the original.

http://www.alipac.us/f9/splc-southern-poverty-law-center-sued-slander-libel-defamation-246464/



Seeing as all the evidence he links to off it is off bullshit sites like infowars or 404's ima call BS.



Still not receiving the level of funding SPLC does. That being said its dumb to have a "which database of hate groups is better" argument.
2299 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / F / US
Offline
Posted 5/27/15

megahobbit wrote:


retronatrix wrote:
Trying to find that specific case but all I'm finding is the Sheriff Mack case.

It was back when Huff Post first started out and named themselves Huff but I can't find a searchable archive or Google. But here is the Mack case for an example. Still slander in the same vein but frustrating not to find the original.

http://www.alipac.us/f9/splc-southern-poverty-law-center-sued-slander-libel-defamation-246464/



Seeing as all the evidence he links to off it is off bullshit sites like infowars or 404's ima call BS.



Still not receiving the level of funding SPLC does. That being said its dumb to have a "which database of hate groups is better" argument.


Meh,call what you like. Or help me find it on Huff Post. I wouldn't mind finding their older archives anyways. Either way,SPLC is just as rotten as most aid entities. Same ways and reason I no longer support Red Cross. Only way to actually be informed it's too do one's own research and when in doubt go as close to the source as possible.
9551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 5/27/15

retronatrix wrote:
Meh,call what you like. Or help me find it on Huff Post. I wouldn't mind finding their older archives anyways. Either way,SPLC is just as rotten as most aid entities. Same ways and reason I no longer support Red Cross. Only way to actually be informed it's too do one's own research and when in doubt go as close to the source as possible.


Thats admirable.
2299 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / F / US
Offline
Posted 5/27/15

megahobbit wrote:


retronatrix wrote:
Meh,call what you like. Or help me find it on Huff Post. I wouldn't mind finding their older archives anyways. Either way,SPLC is just as rotten as most aid entities. Same ways and reason I no longer support Red Cross. Only way to actually be informed it's too do one's own research and when in doubt go as close to the source as possible.


Thats admirable.


Thanks but really just common sense. A huge reason it's useless to send aid to Africa: it never gets to anyone who it's meant to.
9551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 5/27/15

retronatrix wrote:


megahobbit wrote:


retronatrix wrote:
Meh,call what you like. Or help me find it on Huff Post. I wouldn't mind finding their older archives anyways. Either way,SPLC is just as rotten as most aid entities. Same ways and reason I no longer support Red Cross. Only way to actually be informed it's too do one's own research and when in doubt go as close to the source as possible.


Thats admirable.


Thanks but really just common sense. A huge reason it's useless to send aid to Africa: it never gets to anyone who it's meant to.


Well thats kinda a reduction of the situation. Different areas in Africa have different levels of need. Some of the more tightly controlled areas run by dictators wont accept charity.
2299 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / F / US
Offline
Posted 5/27/15 , edited 5/27/15

megahobbit wrote:


retronatrix wrote:


megahobbit wrote:


retronatrix wrote:
Meh,call what you like. Or help me find it on Huff Post. I wouldn't mind finding their older archives anyways. Either way,SPLC is just as rotten as most aid entities. Same ways and reason I no longer support Red Cross. Only way to actually be informed it's too do one's own research and when in doubt go as close to the source as possible.


Thats admirable.


Thanks but really just common sense. A huge reason it's useless to send aid to Africa: it never gets to anyone who it's meant to.


Well thats kinda a reduction of the situation. Different areas in Africa have different levels of need. Some of the more tightly controlled areas run by dictators wont accept charity.


Certainly depends on where it is but the areas that do accept the majority of money or God sent and up in the hands of the higher up politicians.
9551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 5/27/15

retronatrix wrote:
Certainly depends on where it is but the areas that do accept the majority of money or God sent and up in the hands of the higher up politicians.


Hence the dictators.
56915 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / NY
Offline
Posted 5/28/15
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2015/05/28/love-live-school-idol-festival-developer-responds-to-localization-controversy


We have received a number of comments from some of our great gamers about the English version of our popular game, Love Live! School Idol Festival. The nub of the comments is a view that some of the dialogue used in the original Japanese version of the game appear to carry a different meaning or were watered down in the English version.

We always strive to maintain the integrity of our games when we localize and translate them for gamers in other countries. We love our games and want to bring essentially the same user experience to all of our gamers, wherever and whoever they are.
That said, a good translation is more of an art than a science. A lot can be “lost in translation” if the translation itself is too literal. A language is more than just words; it also contains deep cultural references, history, and nuances. A good translation – of a game or anything else - is one which preserves the meaning and essence of the original, but which avoids the trap of excessive literalism. As anyone who works in the localization field knows, this can be a difficult balancing act.

We have reviewed the English version of Love Live! School Idol Festival in light of our gamers’ thoughtful and heartfelt comments. Overall, we think that our localization effectively conveyed both the content and tone of the original. We also think that perhaps we could have done better with the translations of some of the dialogue. We view our relationship with our gamers are very much a two-way street: we hope to provide fun and entertaining games and are always open to feedback (including constructive criticism) where we can do better.
We would also like to address one specific concern raised by some gamers, namely that we were engaging in self-censorship by removing or softening some playful same-sex banter from the English version. This absolutely was not our intention. We localized the game based on our interpretation of the original anime contents, but at the same time, we also respect our gamers’ interpretations as well. We take to heart the comments from some of our gamers who felt we were dismissing them in some way by some of our translations. We truly regret any hard feelings that we may have caused. We love our games and our gamers and don’t want any of them to change!
We’d like to thank all of our gamers for their feedback. Keep it coming!
27451 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / USA! USA! USA!
Offline
Posted 5/28/15 , edited 5/28/15

BlueOni wrote:

This is a far cry from Marxism-Leninism or Fascism, both of which are bona fide totalitarian ideologies representing the worst of the extreme left and right (though to be fair Fascism is strictly neither, but rather is simply more right than left) respectively. Nevertheless, I disapprove.




Fascism isn't an ideology of the Right. It comes from fascis which was the symbol of the power of the State and its administrators in Roman iconography.

While this isn't censorship by the State, it nonetheless appears to be motivated out of disapproving of yuri as "male fantasy", which is one of the cardinal sins of social justice.

Of course, in doing so the censors ignore women of varying sexual orientation, gay men, andand straight males who either enjoy the original content or are just fans of who the characters are and of the bonds they share, some of which are hinted at being more than platonic.

But then again, that's par for the course in social justice.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.