First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply Fate Series
5064 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 5/26/15
Is Fate/Stay Night the first or is it Fate Zero

I'd really like to know so I don't ruin the series.
104101 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / This Dying World
Online
Posted 5/26/15 , edited 5/26/15
Enthusiast will argue that the VN is best.

I understand that this does not answer your question, but this thread will soon be a ground zero and I just wanted 2 pts.
22102 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 5/26/15 , edited 5/26/15
Okay I'll basically summarize how it works. First, this will summarize everything that I am about to say :

http://www.reddit.com/r/fatestaynight/comments/2vuci5/new_to_fate_v2_by_uadelkoenig/

Tldr: Reading the FSN visual novel is the best way to get into the series so you don' have to worry about order.

But I'll elaborate.

So the original visual novel, released back in 2004, had three storylines, also known as routes. These routes use the same characters and premise, but the events are dramatically different between them. In other words they are alternative universes of each other. Now for plot reasons, you read the routes in the following order : Fate, Unlimited Blade Works (UBW) , and Heaven's Feel (HF).

So now way back in 2006, Studio DEEN, did an adaptation of the Fate Route, albeit mixing some elements from the other routes. Generally most people feel like this is a bad adaptation , in particular with characterization. I personally agree with this sentiment. Now Studio DEEN also released a movie that adapted the UBW route, but again it fell short for alot of reasons.

Now Ufotable is currently airing their own adaptation of the UBW route and they plan to release a bunch of movies based on the Heaven's Feel route.

Now after the release of FSN back in 2004, around 2006, Type Moon colloborated with Gen Urobuchi to make a Fate/Zero light novel . Fate/Zero is a prequel story that is set 10 years before FSN. However, it generally assumes you have an understanding of FSN, in particular the Heaven's Feel route. Now, this is why most people tell you to not watch Fate/Zero first since it spois alot of the content in HF, and also that some stuff won't make too much sense without reading FSN first. In any case at 2011, Ufotable released an adaptation of Fate/Zero. That being said, there is nothing wrong with starting with Fate/Zero first, but you certainly get confused at some bits and potentially not have as good of an experience for FSN.

So tldr: Best way to go is to read the FSN visual novel, then watch whatever animes you want.

However, if you really reallly reaaaaally aren't keen on reading the visual novel, which unfortunately is not the best way, then I reccomend doing this anime viewing order :


UBW 2014 Anime, HF movies, Fate /Zero (as to avoid HF spoilers)

OR Fate/Zero first , UBW 2014 anime, HF movies (to get the world building of the fate route from F/Z, but it has HF spoilers )

OR

Read the Fate route of the visual novel, UBW 2014 anime, HF movies , Fate/Zero (this is personally the second best option other than reading the entire FSN vn since you still get to experience the fate route )

OR

Deen 2006 anime, UBW 2014 anime, HF movies, Fate/Zero (now I personally am hesitant to recommend this one, since I don't think DEEN is a good representation of the fate route).

5064 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 5/26/15

farispie wrote:

Okay I'll basically summarize how it works. First, this will summarize everything that I am about to say :

http://www.reddit.com/r/fatestaynight/comments/2vuci5/new_to_fate_v2_by_uadelkoenig/

Tldr: Reading the FSN visual novel is the best way to get into the series so you don' have to worry about order.

But I'll elaborate.

So the original visual novel, released back in 2004, had three storylines, also known as routes. These routes use the same characters and premise, but the events are dramatically different between them. In other words they are alternative universes of each other. Now for plot reasons, you read the routes in the following order : Fate, Unlimited Blade Works (UBW) , and Heaven's Feel (HF).

So now way back in 2006, Studio DEEN, did an adaptation of the Fate Route, albeit mixing some elements from the other routes. Generally most people feel like this is a bad adaptation , in particular with characterization. I personally agree with this sentiment. Now Studio DEEN also released a movie that adapted the UBW route, but again it fell short for alot of reasons.

Now Ufotable is currently airing their own adaptation of the UBW route and they plan to release a bunch of movies based on the Heaven's Feel route.

Now after the release of FSN back in 2004, around 2006, Type Moon colloborated with Gen Urobuchi to make a Fate/Zero light novel . Fate/Zero is a prequel story that is set 10 years before FSN. However, it generally assumes you have an understanding of FSN, in particular the Heaven's Feel route. Now, this is why most people tell you to not watch Fate/Zero first since it spois alot of the content in HF, and also that some stuff won't make too much sense without reading FSN first. In any case at 2011, Ufotable released an adaptation of Fate/Zero. That being said, there is nothing wrong with starting with Fate/Zero first, but you certainly get confused at some bits and potentially not have as good of an experience for FSN.

So tldr: Best way to go is to read the FSN visual novel, then watch whatever animes you want.

However, if you really reallly reaaaaally aren't keen on reading the visual novel, which unfortunately is not the best way, then I reccomend doing this anime viewing order :


UBW 2014 Anime, HF movies, Fate /Zero (as to avoid HF spoilers)

OR Fate/Zero first , UBW 2014 anime, HF movies (to get the world building of the fate route from F/Z, but it has HF spoilers )

OR

Read the Fate route of the visual novel, UBW 2014 anime, HF movies , Fate/Zero (this is personally the second best option since you still get to experience the fate route )

OR

Deen 2006 anime, UBW 2014 anime, HF movies, Fate/Zero (now I personally am hesitant to recommend this one, since I don't think DEEN is a good representation of the fate route).


I meant what anime show comes first, Fate Zero, or Fate/Stay Night?
22102 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 5/26/15 , edited 5/26/15

PurpleDjango wrote:


farispie wrote:

Okay I'll basically summarize how it works. First, this will summarize everything that I am about to say :

http://www.reddit.com/r/fatestaynight/comments/2vuci5/new_to_fate_v2_by_uadelkoenig/

Tldr: Reading the FSN visual novel is the best way to get into the series so you don' have to worry about order.

But I'll elaborate.

So the original visual novel, released back in 2004, had three storylines, also known as routes. These routes use the same characters and premise, but the events are dramatically different between them. In other words they are alternative universes of each other. Now for plot reasons, you read the routes in the following order : Fate, Unlimited Blade Works (UBW) , and Heaven's Feel (HF).

So now way back in 2006, Studio DEEN, did an adaptation of the Fate Route, albeit mixing some elements from the other routes. Generally most people feel like this is a bad adaptation , in particular with characterization. I personally agree with this sentiment. Now Studio DEEN also released a movie that adapted the UBW route, but again it fell short for alot of reasons.

Now Ufotable is currently airing their own adaptation of the UBW route and they plan to release a bunch of movies based on the Heaven's Feel route.

Now after the release of FSN back in 2004, around 2006, Type Moon colloborated with Gen Urobuchi to make a Fate/Zero light novel . Fate/Zero is a prequel story that is set 10 years before FSN. However, it generally assumes you have an understanding of FSN, in particular the Heaven's Feel route. Now, this is why most people tell you to not watch Fate/Zero first since it spois alot of the content in HF, and also that some stuff won't make too much sense without reading FSN first. In any case at 2011, Ufotable released an adaptation of Fate/Zero. That being said, there is nothing wrong with starting with Fate/Zero first, but you certainly get confused at some bits and potentially not have as good of an experience for FSN.

So tldr: Best way to go is to read the FSN visual novel, then watch whatever animes you want.

However, if you really reallly reaaaaally aren't keen on reading the visual novel, which unfortunately is not the best way, then I reccomend doing this anime viewing order :


UBW 2014 Anime, HF movies, Fate /Zero (as to avoid HF spoilers)

OR Fate/Zero first , UBW 2014 anime, HF movies (to get the world building of the fate route from F/Z, but it has HF spoilers )

OR

Read the Fate route of the visual novel, UBW 2014 anime, HF movies , Fate/Zero (this is personally the second best option since you still get to experience the fate route )

OR

Deen 2006 anime, UBW 2014 anime, HF movies, Fate/Zero (now I personally am hesitant to recommend this one, since I don't think DEEN is a good representation of the fate route).


I meant what anime show comes first, Fate Zero, or Fate/Stay Night?



Uh, what do you mean by "first"? Because as I mentioned above, Fate/Zero assumes one has experienced Fate/Stay Night since it was a prequel that was released after the original in terms of story (ie : Kinda like how Star Wars episodes 1-3 were released after Star Wars episodes 4-6). Now in terms of release order, depends which FSN you are talking about. Deen's fate adaptation was released in 2006, but Ufotable's UBW adaptation was released in 2014, where as Ufotable's Fate/Zero adaptation was released in 2011.

FZ would spoil the FSN routes if that's what you are concerned about, in particular Heaven's Feel. Reading that reddit thread might help you since it elaborates more than I do.

Copy and pasted from the reddit thread :

"
Read/Watch Order
If you stay away from DEEN there is no bad way into Fate/, but because of the relationship between F/SN and F/Z, there is a best way. In order to get the story in the intended sequence, and to prevent spoilers, here are some suggestions:
Recommended
Entire F/SN visual novel -> Fate/Zero -> UBW anime -> HF movies.
Alternate
Fate route of the VN -> UBW anime -> HF movies -> Fate/Zero.
Anime only
UBW anime -> HF movies -> Fate/Zero.
Please note that F/HA can be read anytime after the 3 routes of F/SN.
If you choose to skip the VN and the Fate route, /r/FateStayNight[28] is currently doing a VN walkthrough[29] of the Fate route. It is not intended to be a replacement for the VN, but it is better than nothing.
What about watching F/Z First?
Watching F/Z first is not recommend for several reasons. Fate/Zero was written with the intent that the readers have already played all 3 routes of the visual novel. It skims through the concept and rules of the world as it assumes they are already known. Fate/Zero will spoil several major character identities throughout F/SN.
That being said, watching F/Z first won't ruin F/SN for you. You will be going through a different experience than what was intended, but it will still be enjoyable. It will change your perspective on the characters and events while you read/watch F/SN. There are plenty of more twists and turns so don't let this detract you from reading/watching F/SN! If watching F/Z first, giving F/Z a rewatch once finished with the 3 routes of F/SN is recommended."
14361 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Shortbread Land
Offline
Posted 5/26/15
Fate Zero first, the entire story of the FSN anime is pretty much based around what happens at the end of Fate Zero so it's important to understand what the characters are actually talking about.
22102 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 5/26/15 , edited 5/26/15

Charlieandthetrollingfactory wrote:

Fate Zero first, the entire story of the FSN anime is pretty much based around what happens at the end of Fate Zero so it's important to understand what the characters are actually talking about.


Its kinda the other way around, in that Fate/Zero assumes people know the story of FSN , at least that is what is intended in any case. Its sorta like how Star Wars Episodes 4-6 was released first, then Star Wars 1-3 was released afterwards.

Fate/Zero is a prequel series that is written after the original kind of thing.

Basically all the important world building is established in the fate route of the VN.

Besides FZ heavily spoils certain plot twists for the HF route .
13563 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / California
Offline
Posted 5/26/15

PurpleDjango wrote:

Is Fate/Stay Night the first or is it Fate Zero

I'd really like to know so I don't ruin the series.


Chronologically Fate Zero is before Fate Stay Night.
14361 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Shortbread Land
Offline
Posted 5/26/15 , edited 5/26/15

farispie wrote:


Charlieandthetrollingfactory wrote:

Fate Zero first, the entire story of the FSN anime is pretty much based around what happens at the end of Fate Zero so it's important to understand what the characters are actually talking about.


Its kinda the other way around, in that Fate/Zero assumes people know the story of FSN , at least that is what is intended in any case. Its sorta like how Star Wars Episodes 4-6 was released first, then Star Wars 1-3 was released afterwards.

Fate/Zero is a prequel series that is written after the original kind of thing.

Basically all the important world building is established in the fate route of the VN.

Besides FZ heavily spoils certain plot twists for the HF route .


I really don't see how FZ assumes people to know FSN, I never got that sense from watching it. If anything FZ provides a heavy amount of much-needed backstory required for watching FSN as they really don't touch much on Kiritsugu or his relationship with Saber which is like the only thing FSN focuses on. I only watch the anime and have no intention of ever playing the VN's so for people like me I'd really recommend watching FZ before FSN.
62812 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 5/26/15
I thought The Phantom Menace wasn't that bad actually. Apart from Jar Jar Shit of course.
14361 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Shortbread Land
Offline
Posted 5/26/15

bathroom64 wrote:

I thought The Phantom Menace wasn't that bad actually. Apart from Jar Jar Shit of course.


After watching Red Letter Media's videos on the prequels I realised just how unbelievably shit they are.
22102 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 5/26/15 , edited 5/26/15

Charlieandthetrollingfactory wrote:


farispie wrote:


Charlieandthetrollingfactory wrote:

Fate Zero first, the entire story of the FSN anime is pretty much based around what happens at the end of Fate Zero so it's important to understand what the characters are actually talking about.


Its kinda the other way around, in that Fate/Zero assumes people know the story of FSN , at least that is what is intended in any case. Its sorta like how Star Wars Episodes 4-6 was released first, then Star Wars 1-3 was released afterwards.

Fate/Zero is a prequel series that is written after the original kind of thing.

Basically all the important world building is established in the fate route of the VN.

Besides FZ heavily spoils certain plot twists for the HF route .


I really don't see how FZ assumes people to know FSN, I never got that sense from watching it. If anything FZ provides a heavy amount of much-needed backstory required for watching FSN as they really don't touch much on Kiritsugu or his relationship with Saber which is like the only thing FSN focuses on. I only watch the anime and have no intention of ever playing the VN's so for people like me I'd really recommend watching FZ before FSN.


1) Well for example, the significance of Angra Mainyu wouldn't make much sense unless one has read the FSN HF route
2) It contains significant spoilers for subsequent FSN plot twists, so it kinda assumes you already know about them


Of course as I said there is nothing wrong with starting Fate/Zero first per se, it will certainly be a different experience than intended, but not necessarily a bad one.

Its just that the most optimal way to get into the fate franchise is experiencing all three routes of FSN, and currently the only good way to do that is through the VN.

But I digress.

Also, FSN is more about Shirou's relationships, and honestly Saber's relationship with Kiritsugu is like only important for the Fate route and not so much for the rest of the routes. Ufotable basically shoehorned bits from the Fate route into the current UBW anime since again, there is no good fate anime at the moment. But UBW specifically focuses more on Shirou's ideals and Archer, and Saber's relationship with Kiritsugu isn't too too relevant for that. Though it is important for Saber's arc I suppose.
Posted 5/26/15

bathroom64 wrote:

I thought The Phantom Menace wasn't that bad actually. Apart from Jar Jar Shit of course.


Yeah, Attack of the Clones is much worse. Dat Hayden Christensen acting.
62812 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 5/26/15

Charlieandthetrollingfactory wrote:
After watching Red Letter Media's videos on the prequels I realised just how unbelievably shit they are.

I liked how they expanded backstories for characters like Obi one, and Darth Vader. I am mostly in it for the backstory and plot, not for the ewoks and bouncing balls of Jars saving the universe type deal.
62812 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 5/26/15 , edited 5/26/15

Okocha119 wrote:
Yeah, Attack of the Clones is much worse. Dat Hayden Christensen acting.

Anakin was freaking cringeworthy during the homeworld scenes (APPLE CUTTING lololol). Then he got kinda stalkerish....or yandere....
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.